ADVERTISEMENT

Testing Numbers 2018- Predictions

So if my math is correct there are roughly 95 freshman boys and 30-40 of them play football?

Correct me if I am wrong, but Naz had less than 30 frosh play football this year. I know they did not field a frosh team vs JCA. In regards to numbers, last year JCA had between 90-100 freshmen boys and had 45 playing freshmen football, so the number ratio that you suggest do exist.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Naz had less than 30 frosh play football this year. I know they did not field a frosh team vs JCA. In regards to numbers, last year JCA had between 90-100 freshmen boys and had 45 playing freshmen football, so numbers that you suggest do exist.

I’ve never paid attention was just curious since that is a huge percentage of the student body.

@pjjp just check the kids twitter page. No way a kid grows up in Glen Ellyn & miraculously ends up with a Naz Jersey in his number, and shocking happens to be good at football
Here we go with this stupid crap again. The ball boy wearing jerseys that have not been worn since 2014 is not a kid in a custom jersey. He’s like 4 feet tall, are you real butt hurt about this?

The next time an impact athlete is turned away by any of these schools due to his entrance exam score will be a first. Only school I have ever had a kid turned away by was Marist. Marist also took kids with lower scores than the rejected student I had but they were legacies.
If you only knew the kids that tested at Naz that didn't get in based on their academics. Plenty of D1 impact athletes.

Reactions: jwarigaku
Correct me if I am wrong, but Naz had less than 30 frosh play football this year. I know they did not field a frosh team vs JCA. In regards to numbers, last year JCA had between 90-100 freshmen boys and had 45 playing freshmen football, so the number ratio that you suggest do exist.

By the time the season started, they were below 20 Fr on the Fresh/So team

Reactions: crusher1985
Do any private schools run their test numbers through the athletics department/head coaches?
For example, Student X took the entrance test but their score did not fall within the guidelines of academic admissions to the school. Student X is a very good athlete and was asked to test by a head football/baseball/basketball coach. Does school admissions/athletic department make a concession for Student X since they can contribute to the school on the athletic fields?

I don't know.. If it would happen anywhere, it would happen at those handful of private schools that turn more than a relative handful of kids away. I'm thinking about Ignatius, Benet, Naz, etc. For the remainder of private schools, they pretty much accept all comers with the exception of those they know they would be setting up to fail or those they know they don't have the special programming/accommodations necessary for certain kids. I would hope that they wouldn't make concessions for athletic reasons if they know that a kid is unable to handle even the most basic academic course load offered at the school.

Also, simply because a good athlete is granted admission does not mean that he or she will matriculate. Again, many kids test at private schools in Chicago and nearby suburbs IN CASE they are not accepted by the selective enrollment CPS schools. Also, a kid might be accepted and not be able to afford attending, even with a generous financial aid package.

So what are the predictions? Do football records matter? Then BR 250, MC 230, SR 210?
Does losing twice to BR in a season hurt Marist? Or is this all over blown?

So what are the predictions? Do football records matter? Then BR 250, MC 230, SR 210?
Seeing that the numbers of kids playing are getting lower and lower every year, and schools are averaging 35-50 kids playing football, so about 70% of incoming students don’t play our beloved sport, I don’t think it matters. Here is my breakdown of why a kid chooses a high school in my experience with my kids classes

1. Father is a proud alum. Many Dads don’t give them a choice. Many of these kids have been around the school since birth.

2. Siblings already at the school. Many times the eldest child makes the choice. You get big tuition breaks.

3. Majority of their friends going there. I really hate this reason, High School is about meeting new kids. You’ll remain friends with the kids you went to grade school with, my sons have.

4. Location, location, location. This also goes for the kids that have zero plans to do a damn thing except show up and graduate, they pick the closet school.

5. Athletics and the endless situations that go along with this being your reason.

I would think the fact that Marist made a $13 million investment in a planetarium and forensic lab that will overshadow 2 football losses this year. They become known as a quality football program over past 10 + years.

I would think the fact that Marist made a $13 million investment in a planetarium and forensic lab that will overshadow 2 football losses this year. They become known as a quality football program over past 10 + years.

That Planetarium looks like a wonderful building. That program should help fill the shortage of astronomers in the Chicago area.

McCaravan,

Please tell me about these huge tuition breaks for having multiple kids in the school. I think Naz gave us a $500 break on ~$13k.

Seeing that the numbers of kids playing are getting lower and lower every year, and schools are averaging 35-50 kids playing football, so about 70% of incoming students don’t play our beloved sport, I don’t think it matters. Here is my breakdown of why a kid chooses a high school in my experience with my kids classes

1. Father is a proud alum. Many Dads don’t give them a choice. Many of these kids have been around the school since birth.

2. Siblings already at the school. Many times the eldest child makes the choice. You get big tuition breaks.

3. Majority of their friends going there. I really hate this reason, High School is about meeting new kids. You’ll remain friends with the kids you went to grade school with, my sons have.

4. Location, location, location. This also goes for the kids that have zero plans to do a damn thing except show up and graduate, they pick the closet school.

5. Athletics and the endless situations that go along with this being your reason.

McCaravan,

Please tell me about these huge tuition breaks for having multiple kids in the school. I think Naz gave us a $500 break on ~$13k.
MC gives 1,500 off the the First sibling, 3,000 for the second sibling off 11,000 base tuition . They also give 1,000 off for alumni kids per year and starting next year 1,000 off for students of first responders. I’m benefiting on all three!

MC gives 1,500 off the the First sibling, 3,000 for the second sibling off 11,000 base tuition . They also give 1,000 off for alumni kids per year and starting next year 1,000 off for students of first responders. I’m benefiting on all three!
That's great! With all that savings maybe you could buy a nice telescope at the WTTW store in Oak Brook for your kids so they don't fell deprived.

That Planetarium looks like a wonderful building. That program should help fill the shortage of astronomers in the Chicago area.

Ok bud. So education in high level science and forensics isn’t good. My bad. You’re right enrollment will drop because of 2 losses in football. All those parents cutting $11k checks are more concerned with the fact football went 11-2. Ugh.

Do some of your wives know you think about Nazareth this much? Frankly it feels uncomfortable.

Reactions: mchsalumni
Ok bud. So education in high level science and forensics isn’t good. My bad. You’re right enrollment will drop because of 2 losses in football. All those parents cutting $11k checks are more concerned with the fact football went 11-2. Ugh.
joke
/jōk/
noun
  1. 1.
    a thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter, especially a story with a funny punchline.
    "she was in a mood to tell jokes"
    synonyms: funny story, jest, witticism, quip;
    pun, play on words;
    informalgag, wisecrack, crack, one-liner, rib-tickler, knee-slapper, thigh-slapper, punch-line, groaner
    "they were telling jokes"
verb
  1. 1.
    make jokes; talk humorously or flippantly.
    "she could laugh and joke with her colleagues"
    synonyms: tell jokes, crack jokes;
    jest, banter, quip;
    informalwisecrack, josh
    "she laughed and joked with the guests"
    fool, fool around, play a trick, play a practical joke, tease;
    informalkid, fun, pull (someone's leg), pull/jerk/yank someone's chain, make a monkey out of someone, put someone on
    "they didn't realize you were only joking"

Seeing that the

I think location has more to do with those kids that want to do things after school and will be on campus longer that don't want to then spend an hour or so commuting home via a train or bus. Practice/Activity ends at 6:30 and you are home by 7. If you have 2-3 hours of home work you want to get home not wait around. Now if there is no homework the extra hour hanging around is no issue. My kids din't choose because of location but it helped out a lot especially when they had extra time to study.

I heard through the grape vine that montini has the largest amount of kids taking the test in 10 years. A lot of them playing football

I just passed a billboard for Fenwick's entrance exam on the way to midway (why it wasn't on I-55 and on 1st ave/archer is beyond me). I think that is the first time I have seen that type of advertising for an entrance exam, but I just moved back into the state.

McNamara has done billboards before...but usually focuses on the weekly Bourbonnais newspaper and the Daily Journal...

As it relates to the Southside I highly doubt all get over 200 - there just isn't the kids available anymore - 8th grade numbers are down plus you have a lot of kids going public particularly in the southwest suburbs. 11K-12K is a lot of money to send your son to a Catholic School. Yes Rice's football team having a good year helps some but each school has their own sell. I expect like always you'll hear inflated numbers but when the actual enrollments come out all will be in the 140-180 boy starting classes except Marist who will take their 215 boys.

[QUOTE="'except Marist who will take their 215 boys.[/QUOTE]
Topiary: How in the world is Marist attractive? I've been told it's a matter of complexion.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow! I hope everyone meets their targets. But I hope how ever many you get it’s the right kids. Those who graduate in four years, go to college, and become productive members of the community. That’s the best billboard you can advertise on.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="'except Marist who will take their 215 boys.
Topiary: How in the world is Marist attractive? I've been told it's a matter of complexion.[/QUOTE]
MC63, how in the world is Marist attractive? Well maybe because it is a great academic school, great school spirit, facilities and a very good sports program. I went to an all male school, and loved it, but there are many people who want a coed school. And who fits that bill on the southside? Maybe those are s few reasons it’s attractive. And for your complexion comment, I’m not sure where you’re going, but I think I do. Maybe it’s also because all parents feel comfortable sending their children there, and not just to be a player on a team. Not trying to get on a high horse, but come on.

In regard to co-ed Rice is working more with McAuley which they need to do in order to see some economics of scale and diffuse some of the single sex stigma.

I think the varisty basketball teams for McAuley and Rice are playing Iggy at Rice on a Friday.

In regard to co-ed Rice is working more with McAuley which they need to do in order to see some economics of scale and diffuse some of the single sex stigma.

I think the varisty basketball teams for McAuley and Rice are playing Iggy at Rice on a Friday.
I’m pretty sure Rice has a clause in their lease with the sisters of mercy that doesn’t allow them to go coed.
As far as numbers
Rita, MC and worst of all DLS inflate their numbers. StL is getting into that BS game as well the last couple of years.

I was waiting for that
Yeah pretty much
Rice and Badke do everything right, you don’t that yet?

I was waiting for that
Yeah pretty much
Rice and Badke do everything right, you don’t that yet?
Was is just a hoax? BR actually out tested everyone last year? MC didn't have 210? SR 223? Everyone lies but BR? Somehow I think the other BR posters are not going to happy with your posts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT