ADVERTISEMENT

CCL/ESCC Program Health

Nice guy, terrible coach. What he did to Oak Lawn is inexcusable.
???? Art Panka I know was a great Coach there but got into big trouble so I don't think he is teaching or Coaching anymore . What did Harold do? Oak Lawn has only had a handful of good teams

They will be phased out over the next 5 years
I just can't see that happening. 1- Schools like Northside, Jones, and Payton are consistently ranked as top 10 high schools in the nation academically. There is no way CPS is going to give up these few academic shining stars in an overall dark sky. 2- From a sports perspective, this would dilute talent - in all sports - to the point it would be very difficult to have dominant teams. For example, Simeon and Kenwood would lose a ton of talent in football. Whitney Young loses in hoops... CPS Sports Admin is generally useless, but I can't see them giving up these few bright spots in sports. Of course, I am usually wrong on these things...just check my picks!

I just can't see that happening. 1- Schools like Northside, Jones, and Payton are consistently ranked as top 10 high schools in the nation academically. There is no way CPS is going to give up these few academic shining stars in an overall dark sky. 2- From a sports perspective, this would dilute talent - in all sports - to the point it would be very difficult to have dominant teams. For example, Simeon and Kenwood would lose a ton of talent in football. Whitney Young loses in hoops... CPS Sports Admin is generally useless, but I can't see them giving up these few bright spots in sports. Of course, I am usually wrong on these things...just check my picks!
Never say never with the current Mayor and the person who pulls his strings…

???? Art Panka I know was a great Coach there but got into big trouble so I don't think he is teaching or Coaching anymore . What did Harold do? Oak Lawn has only had a handful of good teams
Nothing...And that was the problem. No structure to the program. No development. No recruiting. Seemed like he didn't want to be there, just wanted to collect a paycheck and hide in the background. Pathetic!

Nothing...And that was the problem. No structure to the program. No development. No recruiting. Seemed like he didn't want to be there, just wanted to collect a paycheck and hide in the background. Pathetic!
:mad: I guess that's why St.Laurence got rid of him

Article in the Tribune today that selective enrolment schools in the CPS may turn into regular High Schools. If that were to happen the Catholic schools would reap a lot of those students. The Magnet schools were the one bright light in the CPS.
Chicago (and some suburban) Catholic schools would reap a TON of them. So would schools like Ida Crown Jewish Academy and independent schools like Latin, Parker, U-High, MP Academy, etc....assuming they even have room for the extra kids.

It reminds me of the IHSA public school membership wanting to make the high achieving private schools weaker relative to the rest of the state's competitive level. CPS is turning kids away by the thousands who want to become students in their selective enrollment schools with limited desks. It's like they are trying to "even the academic playing field" in a perverse way. Why should those fortunate kids who gain entry to the selective public schools have an advantage over the rest of the CPS students? Why should those selective schools receive awards for excellence when the remaining CPS schools are mired in mediocrity? Rather than working harder to make their non-selective high schools better and more competitive in the academic marketplace, CPS is going to take away the advantage completely in order to even the academic playing field for all.

Suppress excellence in the name of egalitarianism -- typical public school mindset.

Last edited:
Chicago (and some suburban) Catholic schools would reap a TON of them. So would schools like Ida Crown Jewish Academy and independent schools like Latin, Parker, U-High, MP Academy, etc....assuming they even have room for the extra kids.

It reminds me of the IHSA public school membership wanting to make the high achieving private schools weaker relative to the rest of the state's competitive level. CPS is turning kids away by the thousands who want to become students in their selective enrollment schools with limited desks. It's like they are trying to "even the academic playing field" in a perverse way. Why should those fortunate kids who gain entry to the selective public schools have an advantage over the rest of the CPS students? Why should those selective schools receive awards for excellence when the remaining CPS schools are mired in mediocrity? Rather than working harder to make their non-selective high schools better and more competitive in the academic marketplace, CPS is going to take away the advantage completely in order to even the academic playing field for all.

Suppress excellence in the name of egalitarianism -- typical public school mindset.
I approve ^^ this message but the Grand Puba does not lol

Is CPS selective enrollment lottery based or merit based or a combination?

Pretty sure it isn't a lottery. I think it's a combination of test scores and zip codes. CPS doesn't want too many kids from wealthier zip codes getting in...even though their scores might be higher than those kids from less wealthy zips.

It's merit based, but technically "selective enrollment" is a distinct "tier" of the non-boundaried schools.

"Selective enrollment" covers Brooks, Lane, Jones, Linblom, Young, Payton, Westinghouse, Curie, Northside, and definitely a few others I am forgetting. Admission is 1) grades from gradeschool (I think 7th grade) 2) gradeschool attendance 3) admissions test. The city is split into 4 tiers by zipcode based on average income, and they have to take a certain % from each tier. (I think 25/25/25/25 if I recall correctly)

EDIT: The ones I missed were south shore, king, Hancock, and then Kenwood, Morgan Park, and Taft all have SE while also being a neighborhood school for those in boundary. Curie is not one.

There are a bunch of other schools like Von Stueben, Simeon, etc. that are not technically "selective enrollment", but you still have to apply or do a lottery or something. I am less familiar with these.

Lastly, you can apply to special programs at normal neighborhood schools. So Lincoln Park, Taft, Morgan Park etc. would have kids from outside the area who got in by applying to like the IB program or something.

Not sure which (or all) of these they are proposing phasing out.

Reactions: Snetsrak61
The best example of the Law of unintended consequences at work.

Reactions: Gene K.
It's merit based, but technically "selective enrollment" is a distinct "tier" of the non-boundaried schools.

"Selective enrollment" covers Brooks, Lane, Jones, Linblom, Young, Payton, Westinghouse, Curie, Northside, and definitely a few others I am forgetting. Admission is 1) grades from gradeschool (I think 7th grade) 2) gradeschool attendance 3) admissions test. The city is split into 4 tiers by zipcode based on average income, and they have to take a certain % from each tier. (I think 25/25/25/25 if I recall correctly)

EDIT: The ones I missed were south shore, king, Hancock, and then Kenwood, Morgan Park, and Taft all have SE while also being a neighborhood school for those in boundary. Curie is not one.

There are a bunch of other schools like Von Stueben, Simeon, etc. that are not technically "selective enrollment", but you still have to apply or do a lottery or something. I am less familiar with these.

Lastly, you can apply to special programs at normal neighborhood schools. So Lincoln Park, Taft, Morgan Park etc. would have kids from outside the area who got in by applying to like the IB program or something.

Not sure which (or all) of these they are proposing phasing out.
Morgan Park is selective enrollment? Like a Whitney Young selective enrollment for grades? Is this recent??

Morgan Park is selective enrollment? Like a Whitney Young selective enrollment for grades? Is this recent??
I thought the 7-12 at MP got phased out when Brooks was opened for Far South Side coverage My choices as a 6th grader to continue in the Options for Knowledge track at McDade Classical, mid 80s were WY, MP and Kenwood. And WY at the time was more west side then west loop in terms of perception for many.

There are 11 selective enrollment high schools in the CPS. There is a divide after the top five. In order top down are Walter Payton, Northside Prep, Jones, Whitney Young and Lane Tech.

I wonder if anyone here as any insight into Carmel of Mundelein? My two youngest played there in the 1997-2002 timeframe. Program was on the rise (generally) in those years, culminating with championship team in 03 (I think). Hit some really hard times until the recent couple of years. Strange how the football fortunes can swing back and forth like that. There are some REALLY good schools they have to compete with (LHS, LZ, Stevenson, even LF I suppose).

Reactions: CCHS-Fan
I wonder if anyone here as any insight into Carmel of Mundelein? My two youngest played there in the 1997-2002 timeframe. Program was on the rise (generally) in those years, culminating with championship team in 03 (I think). Hit some really hard times until the recent couple of years. Strange how the football fortunes can swing back and forth like that. There are some REALLY good schools they have to compete with (LHS, LZ, Stevenson, even LF I suppose).
Was there a stark difference between the West and East Waukegan campuses, FB and other programs before they consolidated in 1990? That may have been the beginning of that Carmel rise.

I think the Carmel down years were delayed effect downwind of several things: there were the openings of Vernon Hills, Grayslake North, and Lake Villa Lakes which may staved off some Carmel enrollment (I wonder to what degree Lakes recent slide is proportional to Carmels current success). the office park crowd was also moving to Wisconsin during the early-mid 2000s, plus the pull of Kenosha St Joseph as an alt in the NE part of Lake Co. Loyola was always around to pull from south of Buckley Road.
And the roller coaster overcame some meh years of its own and wasn't such a quick demographic domino to fall.

I think the demographic changes which may have spurred Carmel enrollment in the 90s-00s maybe happening in enough of the outer newer publics to the degree that Carmel is just getting more looks in general.

There are 11 selective enrollment high schools in the CPS. There is a divide after the top five. In order top down are Walter Payton, Northside Prep, Jones, Whitney Young and Lane Tech.

@McCaravan They have an SE component. All the kids from the attendance area get in, but they also have seats for SE.

@tom Per the CPS website I think it's 14: 11 pure SE and Taft, Kenwood, and MP who have SE "school within a school"

Was there a stark difference between the West and East Waukegan campuses, FB and other programs before they consolidated in 1990? That may have been the beginning of that Carmel rise.

I think the Carmel down years were delayed effect downwind of several things: there were the openings of Vernon Hills, Grayslake North, and Lake Villa Lakes which may staved off some Carmel enrollment (I wonder to what degree Lakes recent slide is proportional to Carmels current success). the office park crowd was also moving to Wisconsin during the early-mid 2000s, plus the pull of Kenosha St Joseph as an alt in the NE part of Lake Co. Loyola was always around to pull from south of Buckley Road.
And the roller coaster overcame some meh years of its own and wasn't such a quick demographic domino to fall.

I think the demographic changes which may have spurred Carmel enrollment in the 90s-00s maybe happening in enough of the outer newer publics to the degree that Carmel is just getting more looks in general.
My perception is that very few, if any students at Carmel came from Waukegan, Zion or North Chicago back when my sons played. More like kids that would have attended LZ, Stevie or Antioch. Possibly Lakes opening could have impacted Carmel, but recent slide by Lakes I believe has more to do with a certain coach leaving. Current demographics for Carmel players I have no idea about. The whole coach Bitto leaving thing a few years back was ugly and it appears they have gotten beyond that finally. Please nobody take offense at any of my post, it is all just my perception.

@McCaravan They have an SE component. All the kids from the attendance area get in, but they also have seats for SE.

@tom Per the CPS website I think it's 14: 11 pure SE and Taft, Kenwood, and MP who have SE "school within a school"
If you look at fig 1 they show 11 main ones. Most of my college friends taught for the CPS. A lot of their kids now work for the CPS. This has been in the works (Karen Lewis) for a long time. If this happens it will a big influx to CCL/ESCC schools. And the families that are mobile I see people moving into the better school districts.

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT