ADVERTISEMENT

The World Famous CCL-ESCC Predictions 2023 Week 8

ignazio

Oct 25, 2007
With our leaderboard (@McCaravan 68, @pjjp 66, @3OrangeWhips 64, @chiliconcarne 63, @ESCC fan 63) looking insurmountable, it might be time to hop on the @DMurph11 wagon. Or is he a one-hit wonder? Does the algo have a I'm-going-to-take-my-ball-and-go-home component? Eerily accurate regardless.

MCHS @ BR
BR 40 Montini 7
PC @ MC
MC 42 PC 7
SL @ SR
SR 42 SL 14
BA @ LA
LA 42 BA 0
M @ SP
Marist 42 SP 13
SI @ SV
SI 34 SV 14
JC @ MA
JC 42 MA 7
ND @ CoM
CoM 26 ND 14
ICP @ DLS
IC 42 DLS 20
Naz @ Marian, Heights
NAZ 44 Heights 20
F @ DP
F 42 DP 13
SF @ LEO
SF 45 LEO 7

With our leaderboard (@McCaravan 68, @pjjp 66, @3OrangeWhips 64, @chiliconcarne 63, @ESCC fan 63) looking insurmountable, it might be time to hop on the @DMurph11 wagon. Or is he a one-hit wonder? Does the algo have a I'm-going-to-take-my-ball-and-go-home component? Eerily accurate regardless.

MCHS @ BR
BR 40 Montini 7
PC @ MC
MC 42 PC 7
SL @ SR
SR 42 SL 14
BA @ LA
LA 42 BA 0
M @ SP
Marist 42 SP 13
SI @ SV
SI 34 SV 14
JC @ MA
JC 42 MA 7
ND @ CoM
CoM 26 ND 14
ICP @ DLS
IC 42 DLS 20
Naz @ Marian, Heights
NAZ 44 Heights 20
F @ DP
F 42 DP 13
SF @ LEO
SF 45 LEO 7
Some tough lines to pick this week…

Montini +33
MC -35
SL +28
LA -42
Marist -29
Iggy-20
Marm +35
CoM -12
IC -22
Naz -24
Leo +38

Note on SF vs. Leo…Leo HC is a former SF assistant coach under McMillen, and by all accounts a great football coach and salt of the earth human.

MCHS @ BR
BR 40 Montini 7
PC @ MC
MC 42 PC 7
SL @ SR
SR 42 SL 14
BA @ LA
LA 42 BA 0
M @ SP
Marist 42 SP 13
SI @ SV
SI 34 SV 14
JC @ MA
JC 42 MA 7
ND @ CoM
CoM 26 ND 14
ICP @ DLS
IC 42 DLS 20
Naz @ Marian, Heights
NAZ 44 Heights 20
F @ DP
F 42 DP 13
SF @ LEO
SF 45 LEO 7
It appears the CCL/ESCC is taking the week off. There is only one spread less than 20 points and even that one isn't all that close (Carmel by 12).

It is a well-deserved rest, I might add.

Reactions: ignazio
Riding the theme of the weather keeping these games closer than in better conditions this week.

Montini +33
Provi +35
STL +28
Benet +42
Pat's +29
SV +20
Marmion +35
CoM -12
IC -22
Marian +24
DePaul +29
Leo +38

With Friday looking quite messy with the weather, I think it's going to be a long night/weekend getting this games in.

Brother Rice 35 Montini 10 (Montini +33): Don't think much of anything will take place in the game.

Mount Carmel 49 Providence 0 (MC -35) This once in yesteryear would have been Buffoon's GOTW

Saint Rita 31 Saint Laurence 15 (SL +28): Buffoon's GOTW. A little Southside Clash. Larry's won't win, but I expect it to be a game heading into the 4th.

Loyola 38 Benet 0 (BA +42): The Northside and Southwest Burb mirror images ;). Ramblers Ramble

Marist 32 Saint Patrick 7 (SP +29): Only taking the Shamrocks as both teams have nothing to play for and will want to get out of the weather quickly

Saint Ignatius 28 Saint Viator 17 (SV +20): Wolfpack punch their ticky to Yoffs

Joliet Catholic 35 Marmion Academy 0 (MA +35): Not much to see here

Carmel 34 Notre Dame 7 (CoM -12): ND is banged up and defeated

Immaculate Conception 55 De La Salle 19 (IC -22): ICCP rebounds nicely.

Nazareth 49 Marian Catholic 28 (Heights +24): Do we just give Naz the title as they know what to do after starting 0-4?

Fenwick 49 DePaul 7 (F -29) The Friars will not F around and find out with DePaul considering this is for win number 5 and with recruiting rival ICCP next week.

Saint Francis 49 LEO 6 (SF -38): An ole fashion clockin' here.

Montini +33 vs BR
PC +35 vs MC
SL +28 vs SR
LA -42 vs BA
Marist -29 vs St. Pat's
Viator +20 vs Iffy
JC -35 vs MA
CoM -12 vs ND [absolute lock of the week]
IC -22 vs DLS [subject to IC's desire to play this game]
Naz -24 vs Marian
Fenwick -29 vs DP
WSF -38 vs Le0

My (Updated) Very Scientific Playoff Outlook (that likely has mistakes or math impossibilities) (Last week’s percentage to this week's this week’s):

-Brother Rice (3-4): Crusaders are in trouble. I had them beating Naz. Asking them to sweep two good teams–Montini & Rita–to get in at 5-4 is a tall order. They’ll look back and kick themselves over that close loss to a losing record Marist team in week 2. 80% > 35%

-MC (7-0): 100%

-Rita (4-3): Things get a little hairy for the Mustangs after taking a close loss to St. Francis. They are big favorites this week, but StL is a very good team. Should be OK, but they are on watch. 95% > 90%

-LA (7-0): 100%

-Marist (2-5): Will likely finish 4-5 with St. Pat’s and ND left on the schedule. WIll there be room for them at 4-5? I’m not sure so I’ll keep it the same as last week. 2.5% > 2.5%

-Iggy (4-3): Get the expected win over Marian. However, the Lions of Arlington Heights are starting to roar. Finishing on the road @ Viator and @ JCA is tough. Need one more. I think they will do it but not easy! 85% > 60%

-JCA (5-2): Welcome to the show. 99% > 100%

-ND (2-5): Sad. 5% > 0%

-ICCP (5-2): 100%

-Naz (3-4): The Roadrunners are off and running full speed. HUGE win over Brother Rice. Very winnable game this week vs Marian. And then they finish with WSF. I remember someone saying something about Naz likely getting in at 4-5. They are almost certainly going to get 4 wins. And now have a very good shot at 5 wins. We are pumping up Naz’s chances after that huge win. 20% > 80%

-Fenwick (4-3): Showed out well vs the Caravan this week. I think they beat DePaul this week and get in. 99% > 99%

-WSF (5-2): Welcome to the show. 99 > 100%

-Viator (3-3): The Lions get what I consider to be the second most impressive win of the week (behind Naz) by knocking off Montini on the road. I had the Lions dead in the water a few weeks ago. Now, they sit at 4-3 with Marmion still on the schedule. They very much look like a playoff team. 25% > 95%

-Marmion (2-5): 1% > 0%

-St. Patrick (2-5): 1% > 0%

-CoM (6-1): 100%

-DLS (3-4): Was expecting them to put up a better fight against Marist. Their only prayer now is for ICCP to treat the Meteors like ICCP treated the mighty Ramblers. Unlikely. 8% > 2.5%

-DePaul (3-4): The Rams go on the road and run the Dons off the field. Impressive win. With a hungry Fenwick team this week, DePaul’s hopes likely end. But they get a bump after the big win vs my Dons. 1% > 5%

-Leo (1-6): 0%

-Marian (3-4): Things will come to an end this week for the Spartans. Too bad because they have a really fun offense. The CCL is just tough for programs like Marian, who is likely better than a whole host of teams that will make the playoffs in 4A. 3% > 2%

-St. Laurence (6-1): 100%

-Benet (4-3): Get the expected win vs St. Pat’s. They’ll get smothered by the slightly richer, bigger, more athletic and smarter version of themselves this week. Then will need to beat Provi in New Lenox. Still don’t see it. 8% > 8%

-Montini (5-2): 100%

-Providence (4-3): Tough loss to the impressive Corsairs. Will lose to MC this week, but I have them beating Benet at home in week 9. 90% > 82.5%

Been out of town for three weeks. I’m out for the regular season but I’ll be back for the playoffs.
BR -33

PC 36

SL 28

BA 42

Marist -29

SV 20

MA 35

CoM -12

IC -22

NAZ -24

F -29

Leo 38

Bronco
Celtic
Mustang
Redwing

Shamrock
Lion
Cadet
Corsair

Meteor
Spartan of the Heights
Ram
Spartan of the Wheaton

Montini - that machine loves Brother Rice way too much, no offense to the Crusaders
MC
SR
LA
marist
SV
MA
CoM
IC
Naz
Fen
SF

Montini +33 tough one...
PC +35 taking the points
SL +28 Laurence is playing well
Loyola -42
Marist -29
SV +20 been playing better lately
Marmion +35 taking points
Carmel -12 Lock of the week
IC -22
Naz -24
DePaul +29 Have been playing really good football
SF -38

I considered forfeiting to ensure I was fresh for the playoffs but with only 2 weeks left to claim my first booby prize... I play on!

Montini +33
PC +35
SL +28
LA -42
St. Pats +29
Viator +20
Marmion +35
CoM -12
IC -22
Marian Catholic +24
DePaul +29
SF -38

Montini +33
MC -35
SL +28
LA -42
SP +29
SV +20
JC -35
CoM -12
IC -22
NAZ -24
DP +29
SF -38

MCHS @ BR
BR 40 Montini 7
PC @ MC
MC 42 PC 7
SL @ SR
SR 42 SL 14
BA @ LA
LA 42 BA 0
M @ SP
Marist 42 SP 13
SI @ SV
SI 34 SV 14
JC @ MA
JC 42 MA 7
ND @ CoM
CoM 26 ND 14
ICP @ DLS
IC 42 DLS 20
Naz @ Marian, Heights
NAZ 44 Heights 20
F @ DP
F 42 DP 13
SF @ LEO
SF 45 LEO 7
We might want to reconsider the point spread of the st Rita vs Laurence, game due to the fact:
Qb1 out
DE Saffold out
starting left tackle out
Herman may be out
Dj out due to suspension for going
to a game day visit during a Saturday film session. To a school that offered him weeks ago.

I’ll wait until I get confirmation from Jay Glazer and Adam Schefter

We might want to reconsider the point spread of the st Rita vs Laurence, game due to the fact:
Qb1 out
DE Saffold out
starting left tackle out
Herman may be out
to a game day visit during a Saturday film session. To a school that offered him weeks ago.
Well, this is not good. With this information, why wouldn't SL be the favorite?

Reactions: Visionist
Qb1 out
DE Saffold out
starting left tackle out
Herman may be out
Herman needs twice as many touches, the kids electric. I hope this game shows that moving forward (if he plays). I understand being the 2 year starter and being a senior but 17 is just not getting the job done. Take away his long runs vs marmion he has to be averaging under 2yac. His lack of awareness and shiftiness (which Herman has) is putting Rita in 3rd and long positions, and they just don’t have the depth or play calling to convert.

As for the whole suspension thing, meh I can see both sides. But rules are rules, if that was the message to players all season then follow them. Why an unofficial visit for a school that offered? Shocked a first year coach in a must win game is sticking to his word here, crazy to me

Reactions: Silver Rain
As much as I think of these matchups, I didn't realize there are more than a few who put much, much more into their weekly analysis. On top of team strength and home/visitor considerations, I now have injury reports, disciplinary actions, weather, playoff qualifying implications ... probably should just go with a crystal ball.
Montini - clearly BR is focused on the Hoodie Bowl
PC - I see the Celts holding together
SR - special teams are more affected by the weather
BA - this week is LA's turn to rotate everyone in
SP - tighter than the spread
SV - difficult to play on that high plateau - probably Game of the Week
MA - no read on the Cadets this year
CoM - Corsairs rolling and Dons hurting
DLS - interesting to see who plays for Immaculate Recuperation
Heights - they have a solid rb, really depends if he plays all game
DP - going with the 'dogs especially if we see that onside kick again
Leo - San Fran's brotherly combo is heartwarming

• Haha
Reactions: RockSoup
As much as I think of these matchups, I didn't realize there are more than a few who put much, much more into their weekly analysis. On top of team strength and home/visitor considerations, I now have injury reports, disciplinary actions, weather, playoff qualifying implications ... probably should just go with a crystal ball.
Montini - clearly BR is focused on the Hoodie Bowl
PC - I see the Celts holding together
SR - special teams are more affected by the weather
BA - this week is LA's turn to rotate everyone in
SP - tighter than the spread
SV - difficult to play on that high plateau - probably Game of the Week
MA - no read on the Cadets this year
CoM - Corsairs rolling and Dons hurting
DLS - interesting to see who plays for Immaculate Recuperation
Heights - they have a solid rb, really depends if he plays all game
DP - going with the 'dogs especially if we see that onside kick again
Leo - San Fran's brotherly combo is heartwarming
Couple classics weaved through your prognoses. The IC one, the LA one but the Hoodie Bowl takes the cake. Both young squads will have to take care of business this weekend to properly kick off Hoodie Bowl week Monday.

Reactions: Jenny27 and ignazio
The extremely attractive weather gal on TV is saying the heavy stuff should end by 5:00pm….There is a Caddyshack quote in here but this gal seemed more credible then Bill Murray. So here we go.

Montini +33. BR wins this easily but Montini will score twice.

PC +35- On a clear night I would take this the other way. MC by 28.

SL +28- If the above rumors about players out are even partially true, then this game in this weather maybe tight. SL has a very good RB and his will be facing a tough SR D, but I think this will be SR by 13. SL has played a relatively easy schedule and they won’t win this but they have a punchers chance. With 28 points its the Shoe in of the Week (not the lock).

LA -42. Not confident in this but they beat a better IC team by 49.

SP- 29- I had Marist but I changed it with the damn extra point in there. Marist by 28.

Iggy- 20- Iggy offense seems to be clicking. I’m sorry for my earlier comments of turning back into a pumpkin earlier this year. Still got them at 5-4 though.

MA +35- JC by 28

COM- 12. No problems here for COM!

IC -22- Are they healthy or at least healthy ish? Not confident in this one.

MC of the Heights +24. Naz by 21 to set up another photo finish to the line in week 9

Gordon Tech +29- Lock of the week! DP is playing decent ball. I see them hanging in there.

SF +38. Maybe the weather changes this but if not it’s a blowout, Leo hasn’t played well since week 1

Montini with the points BR wins
PC w/points
SL w/points
LA - LA gets running clock but do the let BA score to beat the spread?
Marist
St. I
Marmion with points
CoM
IC
Naz
SF

Herman needs twice as many touches, the kids electric. I hope this game shows that moving forward (if he plays). I understand being the 2 year starter and being a senior but 17 is just not getting the job done. Take away his long runs vs marmion he has to be averaging under 2yac. His lack of awareness and shiftiness (which Herman has) is putting Rita in 3rd and long positions, and they just don’t have the depth or play calling to convert.

As for the whole suspension thing, meh I can see both sides. But rules are rules, if that was the message to players all season then follow them. Why an unofficial visit for a school that offered? Shocked a first year coach in a must win game is sticking to his word here, crazy to me
I respect your opinion, but Take away his long runs vs Marmion? He’s had more long runs in other games as well.
You do know he scored I think 8 TD’s in the first three games.
Loyola, MC and st Francis he only touched the ball on avg. 8 times in those games = all
Losses…
Thru his senior year I think he’s only had 2 pass attempts. I’ve watched him from a rival program where they passed 85-90% of the time utilizing him all over the field..
soph year -state finals
Jr year single handedly took rita to the semis and darn near to the finals if it was not for Herman getting the ball stripped. Now I don't like talking about the kids in a negative manner but, make it make sense.
Move him around the field and see what happens
Numbers don’t lie and last I checked he’s at 6 yards a carry.
Herman will have all the touches in the world next season. Be patient buddy! As far as not having the depth... well that's not true.. Rita has a 6'4 receiver that I have yet to see a db that can contain him, a slot receiver that's exceptionally fast, and a nice tight end. The players can't control when a running play is called on 3rd and 8. lol!!!

Couple classics weaved through your prognoses. The IC one, the LA one but the Hoodie Bowl takes the cake. Both young squads will have to take care of business this weekend to properly kick off Hoodie Bowl week Monday.
Hoodie Bowl?
I am perplexed. What's a "Hoodie Bowl?"

Reactions: RockSoup
Hoodie Bowl?

I am perplexed. What's a "Hoodie Bowl?"
Credit to @McCaravan .

When the CCL/ESCC freshman score thread gets it’s usual one or two attacks on it from the ‘oh who cares’ posters, one year McCar responded with something along the lines of ‘well, it means a lot wearing that 9-0 hoodie around the neighborhood.’

So with two southside teams currently undefeated 7-0 at the Frosh level, we could have a certified Hoodie Bowl if the young men take care of their business this weekend!

Reactions: Wittymoniker1
Credit to @McCaravan .

When the CCL/ESCC freshman score thread gets it’s usual one or two attacks on it from the ‘oh who cares’ posters, one year McCar responded with something along the lines of ‘well, it means a lot wearing that 9-0 hoodie around the neighborhood.’

So with two southside teams currently undefeated 7-0 at the Frosh level, we could have a certified Hoodie Bowl if the young men take care of their business this weekend!
Nice, very nice! At first, I thought Jonathan Hood was being incorporated in this thread somehow, knowing he's a Southsider. Hoodie!!

MCHS @ BR
BR 40 Montini 7 - 24-7
PC @ MC
MC 42 PC 7 - 43-9
SL @ SR
SR 42 SL 14 - 20-9
BA @ LA
LA 42 BA 0 - Sat
M @ SP
Marist 42 SP 13 - 41-20
SI @ SV
SI 34 SV 14 - 46-7 4q
JC @ MA
JC 42 MA 7 - 45-0
ND @ CoM
CoM 26 ND 14 - 24-0
ICP @ DLS
IC 42 DLS 20 - 55-20
Naz @ Marian, Heights
NAZ 44 Heights 20 - 42-13
F @ DP
F 42 DP 13 - 43-44
SF @ LEO
SF 45 LEO 7 - Sat

Where does Leo play their home games?
2 miles west of their campus at the legendary Pat Cronin Field, inside William Doyle Stadium on the beautiful Bernard DelGiorno Campus of St. Rita of Cascia High School.

Or 7740 S. Western Ave. Chicago, Illinois if that works for you.

2 miles west of their campus at the legendary Pat Cronin Field, inside William Doyle Stadium on the beautiful Bernard DelGiorno Campus of St. Rita of Cascia High School.

Or 7740 S. Western Ave. Chicago, Illinois if that works for you.
I believe Leo gets the gate sales, SR keeps the concession sales. Neither are probably very much 😀, not sure what they draw outside of some of the parents

I respect your opinion, but Take away his long runs vs Marmion? He’s had more long runs in other games as well.
You do know he scored I think 8 TD’s in the first three games.
Loyola, MC and st Francis he only touched the ball on avg. 8 times in those games = all
Losses…
Thru his senior year I think he’s only had 2 pass attempts. I’ve watched him from a rival program where they passed 85-90% of the time utilizing him all over the field..
soph year -state finals
Jr year single handedly took rita to the semis and darn near to the finals if it was not for Herman getting the ball stripped. Now I don't like talking about the kids in a negative manner but, make it make sense.
Move him around the field and see what happens
Numbers don’t lie and last I checked he’s at 6 yards a carry.
Herman will have all the touches in the world next season. Be patient buddy! As far as not having the depth... well that's not true.. Rita has a 6'4 receiver that I have yet to see a db that can contain him, a slot receiver that's exceptionally fast, and a nice tight end. The players can't control when a running play is called on 3rd and 8. lol!!!
Yeah so I think Herman played great. That’s with a banged up O-line. Personally, I think this was a game DJ would done well. Funny you mention the Mc semi final fumble, Herman last night played great and when going to ice the game they have #6 come in cold to take a run and fumbles. Moving forward they need to play to their strengths, find ways to have both backs on the field at the same time. The first drive yesterday, and the 2nd quarter drive vs Loyola, incredible play calling. Both didn’t result in points but long drives that flipped the field (we should have gotten points) but then we abandon it and go back to run/run/screen or seam.

I am sure the lawless COY will go to winner of Loyola Caravan game but when Rita finishes 6-3 people need to take a look at what coach Hopkins has done with this team. The injuries this team has faced and the amount of underclassmen stepping up and making plays is a true testimony to how great of a coach he is. Been around the program for decades, I can’t recall this many sophomores and juniors playing. The future is bright on 77th and western. Excited for what’s to come.

Yeah so I think Herman played great. That’s with a banged up O-line. Personally, I think this was a game DJ would done well. Funny you mention the Mc semi final fumble, Herman last night played great and when going to ice the game they have #6 come in cold to take a run and fumbles. Moving forward they need to play to their strengths, find ways to have both backs on the field at the same time. The first drive yesterday, and the 2nd quarter drive vs Loyola, incredible play calling. Both didn’t result in points but long drives that flipped the field (we should have gotten points) but then we abandon it and go back to run/run/screen or seam.

I am sure the lawless COY will go to winner of Loyola Caravan game but when Rita finishes 6-3 people need to take a look at what coach Hopkins has done with this team. The injuries this team has faced and the amount of underclassmen stepping up and making plays is a true testimony to how great of a coach he is. Been around the program for decades, I can’t recall this many sophomores and juniors playing. The future is bright on 77th and western. Excited for what’s to come.
I mentioned in my Cascia/SL thread that DJ would've had a very good game last night. I agree with you wholeheartedly. And Rita is going to need him big time in the upcoming weeks.

Great point about #6 coming in cold and fumbling. I am sure the staff will fix those things. I like that Coach Hopkins' defenses can have a "bend but don't break" mentality as well as being very aggressive at the right times. That's strategic and it's going to win Cascia some games. It's about emotion--I get it. However, it's also about having a strategy that plays to your players' strengths and puts them in the best position to win.

If OK, I shall use myself as an example: my 7th grade girls' basketball team lost to our rival during the regular season by an average of 25 points. Said-opponent presses and goes man-to-man. I also realized said-opponent's PGs were a little weak handling the ball.

In our third meeting in our conference tournament, I pressured said-opponents PG's. I also isolated my PG, and ran pick-and-rolls.

We still lost the damn game, but the final was 16 - 9. And I was missing two starters.

Two things: they were fired up with emotion to pull off an upset. Second, I provided them with a solid game plan. Almost got the job done, but I was so damn proud of them.

Some may be thinking: why didn't you employ this strategy after the first blowout loss?

My reply? Great question!

Favorites went 5-7 ATS
Unders went 7-5 ATS

Sort of neutral with the weather being bad but not as bad as initially forecasted

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT