MC
Rita
Provi

Marist
Benet
JCA
ND
Naz

I just passed a billboard for Fenwick's entrance exam on the way to midway (why it wasn't on I-55 and on 1st ave/archer is beyond me). I think that is the first time I have seen that type of advertising for an entrance exam, but I just moved back into the state.

Let those predictions fly, give a top 5. Let's do a CCL and ESCC separately

Loyola
Rice
MC
Rita
Provi

Marist
Benet
JCA
ND
Naz

BR should do very well this year with the 13-0 start in football. Last year they had 177, MC 210, SR 223. I look for BR to lead the pack for South side schools this year. St. Ignatius turns away kids became the have more test takers than seats. Marist limits the amount of boys to roughly an 50/50 ratio to girls and may turn away a few. SR will limit freshmen to about 160 with their selective enrollment criteria.

Does LA or any of the above schools turn anyone away?

BR should do very well this year with the 13-0 start in football. Last year they had 177, MC 210, SR 223. I look for BR to lead the pack for South side schools this year. St. Ignatius turns away kids became the have more test takers than seats. Marist limits the amount of boys to roughly an 50/50 ratio to girls and may turn away a few. SR will limit freshmen to about 160 with their selective enrollment criteria.

Much needed new president, new principal, baseball team went to final 8 in state, football team’s run to state runner-up & basketball program is rolling, currently ranked #25 led by an exciting, dynamic Loyola signee, it’s an exciting time to be a Crusader. All signs point to a great class, but more importantly stability in the future. Not going to put a number out there, but I’d say we should have a spike in that number from last year.

Reactions: krock the house
I just passed a billboard for Fenwick's entrance exam on the way to midway (why it wasn't on I-55 and on 1st ave/archer is beyond me). I think that is the first time I have seen that type of advertising for an entrance exam, but I just moved back into the state.
Saw that same billboard. Thought I was seeing things.

Doesn’t matter how many test in December it matters how many show in August, but from a football stand point at MC Im hearing Coach Lynch is really excited with who will be coming in to test Saturday. Let’s hope they’re there for summer camp too!

Naz turns away kids. Usually around 100-150

So the kids who get turned away, where to the go?

Let those predictions fly, give a top 5. Let's do a CCL and ESCC separately

Loyola
Rice
MC
Rita
Provi

Marist
Benet
JCA
ND
Naz

In the CCL, Ignatius could well have more test takers than Loyola.

CCL prediction
Ignatius/Loyola
Fenwick
Providence
DLS/MC/Rice

In the ESCC, you are woefully messed up with Naz and JCA in your top five, as they are two of the smallest schools in the ESCC. They may get a nice percentage bump in their numbers due to their titles, but gross numbers won't be enough to put them in the top five of test takers.

ESCC prediction
Marist
Benet
Carmel
NDCP
Marian Catholic/Viator

I don't think many kids are turned away, I think for the most part, wait lists are kind of a myth.

SR, SL MC and Rice are as MCCaravan stated a rough guide and Saturday doesn't mean much Rita always tests a lot but they need them to show up in August. MC as well but they Rice and Marist get a higher % to show up in August of the test takers. It will be interesting to see how SL does in co-ed year 2. Look at the numbers above from last December and look at what was there to open the year.

The new president at Rice won't do anything for this class and we will see if football impacts anything. Athletically their basketball, baseball and football results are all tops among their competitors for the last year.

So the kids who get turned away, where to the go?

Public school is always an alternative. I won’t comment on North side schools, but St. Ignatius may have several go to Magnet schools in the City. Testing at Ignatius in some cases is a fall back position. Their tuition is more than a lot of colleges. But because of their location kids will go to St. Pats, ND, DLS, MC, SR or BR. Most of the few that Marist will turn away will go to BR. SR’s will wind up at BR, MC, or DLS in that order I’m guessing.

This basketball situation at Leo maybe the straw that broke the camels back

In the CCL, Ignatius could well have more test takers than Loyola.

CCL prediction
Ignatius/Loyola
Fenwick
Providence
DLS/MC/Rice

In the ESCC, you are woefully messed up with Naz and JCA in your top five, as they are two of the smallest schools in the ESCC. They may get a nice percentage bump in their numbers due to their titles, but gross numbers won't be enough to put them in the top five of test takers.

ESCC prediction
Marist
Benet
Carmel
NDCP
Marian Catholic/Viator

I take it you would then have Rita with the DLS-MC-Rice choices?

Public school is always an alternative. I won’t comment on North side schools, but St. Ignatius may have several go to Magnet schools in the City. Testing at Ignatius in some cases is a fall back position. Their tuition is more than a lot of colleges. But because of their location kids will go to St. Pats, ND, DLS, MC, SR or BR. Most of the few that Marist will turn away will go to BR. SR’s will wind up at BR, MC, or DLS in that order I’m guessing.

SR is not turning kids away.

Reactions: McCaravan
SR is not turning kids away.
SR not send acceptance letters to everyone who tested there the last two years. The selective enrollment had been battered about for several years before it was implemented. Two years ago it was abruptly implemented. Retention and graduating in four years stats were looked at and the
selection process took those attributes into account. Two years ago I had several phones from the school about it. I was pretty hot. But the logic was explained. Last year the kids kind of self screened knowing that everyone was not getting in. With makeup test takers SR had about 232. While I agree with the criteria, last year they could have taken more kids if they had hired an additional teacher.

SR not send acceptance letters to everyone who tested there the last two years. The selective enrollment had been battered about for several years before it was implemented. Two years ago it was abruptly implemented. Retention and graduating in four years stats were looked at and the
selection process took those attributes into account. Two years ago I had several phones from the school about it. I was pretty hot. But the logic was explained. Last year the kids kind of self screened knowing that everyone was not getting in. With makeup test takers SR had about 232. While I agree with the criteria, last year they could have taken more kids if they had hired an additional teacher.
My brother-in-laws are on the same page with you. Hire an additional teacher. They can afford it. Look at the money the sent on capital projects.

Do any private schools run their test numbers through the athletics department/head coaches?
For example, Student X took the entrance test but their score did not fall within the guidelines of academic admissions to the school. Student X is a very good athlete and was asked to test by a head football/baseball/basketball coach. Does school admissions/athletic department make a concession for Student X since they can contribute to the school on the athletic fields?

I take it you would then have Rita with the DLS-MC-Rice choices?
You tell me. Are Rita's test numbers the last couple of years similar to those three or are they below? What is their trend line? I basically just went according to the actual size of the school.

You tell me. Are Rita's test numbers the last couple of years similar to those three or are they below? What is their trend line? I basically just went according to the actual size of the school.
Yes. St. Rita pretty much tracks with MCs number. BR number the last couple years was weird, highest of the 3 (SR, MC, BR) 2 years ago, lowest of the 3 last year. DLS had a good male number last year that was around MC/SR number.

Going into test week, any of the 4 mentioned will range somewhere between 150-250 and last year was like between 180-220 between the 4, give or take.

I'm not a SR expert. Maybe their alumni could chime in. Last year BR had 177, MC 210, SR 223. One of those at SR is my grandson. I had a nephew play at SR when they won the State Championship. To be honest I didn't follow them that closely in he middle. SR number have been on the up swing for a couple of years. BR has been down for a couple of years but I look for that to change this year. They had a change at the top of the school. Going 13-0 to start the season will help. As a MC alum they have been fairly consistent.

Reactions: Gene K.
In the old day if SR tested 200 they'd sent out 200 letters saying welcome. Last year they had like 232. They brought in about 160. Right now that seems like their cap.

I’m quite certain MC doesn’t turn anyone away unless it’s an extremely rare circumstance where the tester has a real scetchy discipline record to accompany their well below average test score. That being said, while nearly everyone is admitted, they’ll dismiss you very quickly if you don’t live up to their standards, athlete or not....I won’t name any names.....

Last edited:
Reactions: USD24
I’m quite certain MC doesn’t turn anyone away unless it’s an extremely rare circumstance where the tester has a real scetchy discipline record to accompany their well below average test score. That being said, while nearly everyone is admitted, they’ll dismiss you very quickly if you don’t live up to their standards, athlete or not....I won’t name any names.....Roll Tide!
Sometimes a quick judicious dismissal can be a good thing. It sets the tone for the rest of the student body.

In the old day if SR tested 200 they'd sent out 200 letters saying welcome. Last year they had like 232. They brought in about 160. Right now that seems like their cap.
I take it your not a fan of the cap? But if they bring in an all star team...

I take it your not a fan of the cap? But if they bring in an all star team...
Last year SR had good testing numbers and I never talked about any of them being football players. The people running the school for the last 10 years and more know what their doing. I fact the are doing a great job. If they weren't it could have gone south. Instead the school has never been heather. The school's books look great. It's filling seats first. I graduated in the dark ages with about 400 guys. Those days are over. But I'd love to see as many kids in the school as possible. I don't believe in caps.

Outside of Ignatius, I’ve never heard of a case where a student who attended a Catholic grade school was denied admission to any of the Catholic High Schools. Even with SR being more selective I’m sure you they won’t bite the hand that feeds them and deny a South Side Catholic school student.

Ha that's what you think. It's actually so far from the truth.

The next time an impact athlete is turned away by any of these schools due to his entrance exam score will be a first. Only school I have ever had a kid turned away by was Marist. Marist also took kids with lower scores than the rejected student I had but they were legacies.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT