ADVERTISEMENT

Testing Numbers 2018- Predictions

a sure fire stud 8th grader walks into any catholic school regardless of grades

You are wrong about that.

If, for example, nobody with composite placement test scores lower than the 80th percentile is getting accepted into Iggy, they MIGHT bend the rules for a stud in the 70th percentile, but they simply do not have the academic programming resources to accommodate kids from all academic achievement levels. It would make no sense for them to bring in a kid in the 40th percentile who would struggle mightily and wash out in a year or two. They don't want to set kids up to fail.

Reactions: USD24 and Gene K.
I live in Beverly. You SR and MC Jackets, some BR ones and occasional Marist one. But I don’t ever remembering seeing a STL one around here. They just don’t seem to have an alumni base around here. I always thought their big base was west of midway between Archer and south to the Cal Sag Canal
You haven't run into my son yet?

Reactions: Bowie50
Iggy is maybe the only school that practices that

Disagree.

Iggy certainly turns away a fair number of kids because they don't have room for everyone who tests there. They set a very high minimum academic achievement standard in order for a kid to be admitted, and they set that standard because they can. What would be interesting to see is if they had far fewer applications, where they would set that minimum academic achievement standard.

However, everything is relative. Other private schools, yours included, do not have programs to handle kids from every percentile. Whereas a kid in the 40th or 50th percentile would quickly drown and be washed down the drain at a school like Iggy, that percentile is lower at your school or mine, but it is there nonetheless. There is a point where it simply does not make sense (and is, indeed, unjust) for a private school to admit a kid if they know s/he would not be able to handle the school's minimum academic expectations.

Reactions: Gene K.
You are wrong about that.

If, for example, nobody with composite placement test scores lower than the 80th percentile is getting accepted into Iggy, they MIGHT bend the rules for a stud in the 70th percentile, but they simply do not have the academic programming resources to accommodate kids from all academic achievement levels. It would make no sense for them to bring in a kid in the 40th percentile who would struggle mightily and wash out in a year or two. They don't want to set kids up to fail.

Todd Stroger?

Any alderman's kid? City agency heads? Top bosses on the Fire/police Department. The commander of the 10th police district (the school's in the 10th). That's a fact. But the school is 95% legit. Plain white envelopes go a long way for the endowment.

Bill Daley went there. Smartest of that litter. But even old man Daley did'nt try to get little dick daley into the school. That would have been too much.

Reactions: mchsalumni
Todd Stroger?

Any alderman's kid? City agency heads? Top bosses on the Fire/police Department. The commander of the 10th police district (the school's in the 10th). That's a fact. But the school is 95% legit. Plain white envelopes go a long way for the endowment.

Bill Daley went there. Smartest of that litter. But even old man Daley did'nt try to get little dick daley into the school. That would have been too much.
The school is in the 12th police district.

When my son was accepted at Ignatius we went down for meeting to pick classes for his first semester. The teacher we met with explained how is test score stacked up.

He scored in the 99th percentile nationally
He scored in the 95th percentile in the archdiocese
He scored in the 85th percentile at Ignatius
And he ended up being in the 50th percentile of the kids accepted at Ignatius

Kids do not get in on athletic skills. If they do not have the smarts they won't be eligible to play so why let them in.

When my son was accepted at Ignatius we went down for meeting to pick classes for his first semester. The teacher we met with explained how is test score stacked up.

Kids do not get in on athletic skills. If they do not have the smarts they won't be eligible to play so why let them in.
I'd love to live in your world.
95% legit in mine.
Merry Christmas to you though.
May all your dreams come true.

I guess its hard for some people to imagine that a high school would not accept a top notch athlete from attending! Totally agree with HRCJR that Iggy does not accept students who do not meet their academic criteria despite some snide comments on here. My two sons were likewise 99 and 95 percentile (thanks to their mother, not me) were very good baseball players and in reality could have went to any high school in the area and would have been accepted. Iggy's sports teams are usually so so because of the rigorous academic admission policy. Unless you are or were intimately involved with Iggy I guess it's hard to grasp that despite one's parentage some of their offspring are very bright regardless of their parents status or notoriety.

Reactions: krock the house
I guess its hard for some people to imagine that a high school would not accept a top notch athlete from attending! Totally agree with HRCJR that Iggy does not accept students who do not meet their academic criteria despite some snide comments on here. My two sons were likewise 99 and 95 percentile (thanks to their mother, not me) were very good baseball players and in reality could have went to any high school in the area and would have been accepted. Iggy's sports teams are usually so so because of the rigorous academic admission policy. Unless you are or were intimately involved with Iggy I guess it's hard to grasp that despite one's parentage some of their offspring are very bright regardless of their parents status or notoriety.
Snidely-Whiplash-Costume.png

You haven't run into my son yet?
STL does not draw very well in Beverly, not saying they don’t get occasional students but from CK, Barnabas, Fisher and Caj currently attending STL on all four grade levels you may have 10 total from those schools. Mount Greenwood you get a good handful from there but not many. Now Garfield Ridge/Clearing/Midway STL gets the high majority especially from Dans, Syms and Janes.....When Tommy Moore and Denis closed and Bedes dwindling that hurt them on the South Side.

You would think yes, but I know for a fact that is not the case. Depends on the school.

I know of one case at LA where a boy tested and wasn't accepted. Went to his local school then transferred in the next year. You've seen him play on Saturdays.

STL does not draw very well in Beverly, not saying they don’t get occasional students but from CK, Barnabas, Fisher and Caj currently attending STL on all four grade levels you may have 10 total from those schools. Mount Greenwood you get a good handful from there but not many. Now Garfield Ridge/Clearing/Midway STL gets the high majority especially from Dans, Syms and Janes.....When Tommy Moore and Denis closed and Bedes dwindling that hurt them on the South Side.

What would you say the typical breakdown is of those 4 schools is heading to High School? Boys completely even across Rice Rita MC and Marist, girls split Marist and Mac? And a small handful going public or to STL? Is there any of those that send a higher percentage to one HS vs another?

What would you say the typical breakdown is of those 4 schools is heading to High School? Boys completely even across Rice Rita MC and Marist, girls split Marist and Mac? And a small handful going public or to STL? Is there any of those that send a higher percentage to one HS vs another?
It really does go in waves, depends on Alums and siblings. Lot of kids follow the leader too. From the schools I mentioned MC, SR, BR, and Marist get the split with BR probably getting the majority with its location. Occasionally a couple guys go to Iggy and Laurence. De La Salle very rarely. Football player wise MC really did outstanding from the Southside Catholic Conference this year...last year Rice did well...next year it could be SR...like I said, goes in waves.

Historically, you're right. I'm originally a Bedes guy, so I know the area well. The coed thing may precipitate a change, however. Only legacies out of my current parish the last few years. Last year, four girls chose StL. You may see some boys start to follow.

Reactions: McCaravan
Finally got a # on Naz 303 for a class around 200
That got me thinking how different these numbers are today from when I 1st started at Joliet Catholic in 1977.

156 freshmen all boys (so a 312 co-ed number)
118 of the 156 tried out for freshmen football. They had to cut 50-55 kids.

It was pretty intimidating to be trying out with 117 competitors when you're only 14 years old.

ADVERTISEMENT