ADVERTISEMENT

Testing Numbers 2018- Predictions

I’m pretty sure Rice has a clause in their lease with the sisters of mercy that doesn’t allow them to go coed.
As far as numbers
Rita, MC and worst of all DLS inflate their numbers. StL is getting into that BS game as well the last couple of years.

Not co-ed but they need to work together more to blend the student bodies more and use things like transportation and college counseling to serve one another better similar to using athletic facilities.

Topiary: How in the world is Marist attractive? I've been told it's a matter of complexion.
MC63, how in the world is Marist attractive?\[/QUOTE]

I'm not trying to start a fight with Harvey or anybody, I'm simply asking Topiary a direct question that he might be in a position to answer. Perhaps some other non-Marist guys can contribute.

Marist likely does offer everything Harvey says, but, except for the coed atmosphere, they don't offer anything a boy can't get at MC, BR, or SR. I have many friends and relatives in the Beverly, Mt Greenwood, Orland and Tinley areas and this is what they tell me (unless their kid goes to Marist, of course.)

As far as the complexion remarks, that criterion was mentioned.

Again, no offense to anyone.

The number that goes out to the general public is normally 10% inflated to account for make ups and hardships. Also Coach Badke is not in admissions and has nothing to do with any public release numbers from Rice. That would come from Alberts and O'Connell. Rice will do better than last year

Reactions: Gene K.
Not co-ed but they need to work together more to blend the student bodies more and use things like transportation and college counseling to serve one another better similar to using athletic facilities.

refref: your suggestion been discussed since JFK was president. I've heard that the nuns who run McAuely are a very strong-willed group. Good luck.

Reactions: Yard_dog71
Was is just a hoax? BR actually out tested everyone last year? MC didn't have 210? SR 223? Everyone lies but BR? Somehow I think the other BR posters are not going to happy with your posts.

Rice tested 170ish last year and had 166 walk in the door

MC and Rita are nowhere close to enrolling what they claim to have tested last year and Rita was off by almost 100

The only reason I bring this up is it was all over this board and the neighborhood that BR was in dire straits while SR and MC were riding high...then come August and Rice has a bigger class than both. Marist claimed to have tested 265 boys and enrolled 210.....

refref: your suggestion been discussed since JFK was president. I've heard that the nuns who run McAuely are a very strong-willed group. Good luck.

McAuley's numbers are slipping. Neither will not go co-ed I'm not sure how I communicated that but that was not the point.

The Irish Christian Brothers waited out the nuns at QOP...how'd that work out?

Saving the last night for the best shots. I knew it was too nice. SR went to selective enrollment 2 years ago. It was a big uproar over it inside and outside the SR community. It was a very good move by St. Rita.
Love the ‘inflated numbers’ accusations or ‘don’t trust the numbers’ narrative the night before the test. So many people are stuck in the 80s and 90s idea of recruiting students for high school.

The new President at Rice (Mark Donahue) is already bridging the divide with MM that his predecesor simply F_CK#D UP BEYOND BELIEF. I know MM admins were overjoyed to see Rice finally make a change.

MC and Rita are nowhere close to enrolling what they claim to have tested last year and Rita was off by almost 100

The only reason I bring this up is it was all over this board and the neighborhood that BR was in dire straits while SR and MC were riding high...then come August and Rice has a bigger class than both. Marist claimed to have tested 265 boys and enrolled 210.....
SO BR had 97.6 % of the test takers enter the school?

Last edited:
Saving the last night for the best shots. I knew it was too nice. SR went to selective enrollment 2 years ago. It was a big uproar over it inside and outside the SR community. It was a very good move by St. Rita.
Love the ‘inflated numbers’ accusations or ‘don’t trust the numbers’ narrative the night before the test. So many people are stuck in the 80s and 90s idea of recruiting students for high school.
Look my posts have always included all schools and not been targeted like some others. Yes that is bushleague. It's still a very small pool to choose from now and many families cannot afford to send their kids to a private school with some sort of financial aid.

Reactions: RockSoup
Look my posts have always included all schools and not been targeted like some others. Yes that is bushleague. It's still a very small pool to choose from now and many families cannot afford to send their kids to a private school with some sort of financial aid.
I agree. And liked that post you had. That’s why I was surprised (or not surprised) at the stupid non-verifiable accusations the night before the test. I hope all schools test 250 kids tomorrow. I believe in Catholic education.

I was waiting for that
Yeah pretty much
Rice and Badke do everything right, you don’t that yet?
2 years ago BR called their numbers into the CCL. SR called in a few more. Then BR called back in with anew number beating SR by a couple. I was at a meeting a month later about recruitment and retention of basketball officials. BR was the target of a lot of good natured ball busting. This seems to be an annual thing now. Three years before that it was not so good natured ball busting with BR tactics. Leave a sleeping dogs lie.

Last edited:
Marist likely does offer everything Harvey says, but, except for the coed atmosphere, they don't offer anything a boy can't get at MC, BR, or SR

Are you suggesting that MC, BR and SR are all the same and that a boy can get the same thing at all three schools? Somehow, I don't think that is your intention to say, but you said it anyway.

The reality is that they are different.

For one thing, neither MC, BR, nor SR offer the Marist charism and philosophies of education that are rooted in hundreds of years of existence and tradition of the Marist Brothers. For another thing, Marist offers kids a larger school atmosphere. Not saying that's for everyone, but some kids prefer it over smaller schools of 600 or 700.

If everyone went to the same school we wouldn’t have rivals and nothing to bitch about! So I completely agree with Rock, I hope everyone does well so we can continue our rivalries. But I’ll say this again, IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MANY TEST IN DECEMBER IT MATTERS HOW MANY SHOW IN AUGUST!

2 years ago BR called their numbers into the CCL. SR called in a few more. Then BR called back in with anew number beating SR by a couple. I was at a meeting a month later about recruitment and retention of basketball officials. BR was the target of a lot of good natured ball busting. This seems to be an annual thing now. Three years before that it was not so good natured ball busting with BR tactics. Leave a sleeping do lie.
You seem to be in the know. Did BR have 97.6 % of the test takers enter the school?

Are you suggesting that MC, BR and SR are all the same and that a boy can get the same thing at all three schools? Somehow, I don't think that is your intention to say, but you said it anyway.

The reality is that they are different.

For one thing, neither MC, BR, nor SR offer the Marist charism and philosophies of education that are rooted in hundreds of years of existence and tradition of the Marist Brothers. For another thing, Marist offers kids a larger school atmosphere. Not saying that's for everyone, but some kids prefer it over smaller schools of 600 or 700.

Do you think the Carmelites just got off the boat? How about 800 years of dedication.

Mt Carmel was founded 118 years ago. There are Carmelite high schools all around the country. Many or most have been around for well over a half-century.

On the matter of size, I've never heard anyone express an interest in a Catholic High School simply because it had more students than others.

Charisma? You have to be kidding.

Maybe you are.

Do you think the Carmelites just got off the boat? How about 800 years of dedication.

Mt Carmel was founded 118 years ago. There are Carmelite high schools all around the country. Many or most have been around for well over a half-century.

On the matter of size, I've never heard anyone express an interest in a Catholic High School simply because it had more students than others.

Charisma? You have to be kidding.

Maybe you are.

I am well aware of the Carmelite tradition. Indeed, it is one of the things that make MC different from the other schools which you claim all offer the same things.

Charism, not charisma. Look it up if you don't understand the difference.

As for size, there are absolutely some kids who do better in smaller schools than larger. There are some kids who want/need course offerings and extra curriculars that a large school can offer that a smaller school cannot. If you think that Marist doesn't offer a wider variety of classes and AP opportunities than most schools half its size, you are kidding yourself.

Reactions: Cmon Now
I’m pretty sure Rice has a clause in their lease with the sisters of mercy that doesn’t allow them to go coed.
As far as numbers
Rita, MC and worst of all DLS inflate their numbers. StL is getting into that BS game as well the last couple of years.
My DLS buddy is highly offended.

Reactions: Gene K.
I am well aware of the Carmelite tradition. Indeed, it is one of the things that make MC different from the other schools which you claim all offer the same things.

Charism, not charisma. Look it up if you don't understand the difference.

As for size, there are absolutely some kids who do better in smaller schools than larger. There are some kids who want/need course offerings and extra curriculars that a large school can offer that a smaller school cannot. If you think that Marist doesn't offer a wider variety of classes and AP opportunities than most schools half its size, you are kidding yourself.

Those schools do offer a fine education, sports experience, and other things you mentioned -- the same as Marist. I believe Mt Carmel, however, provides a superior education and experience to all these schools; but they all do a fine job.

I do know there's a difference between charism and charisma (although one online dictionary identifies them as synonymous). I thought you made a typo. With all due respect to Marist, I never heard of their being empowered with spiritual healing capabilities.

If you're trying to get me to take a cheap shot at LA, forget it. I have a lot of respect for that school. In fact, I've attended the post-game mass at your chapel many times and found each to be a very spiritual experience. But, like Marist, I'm not sure if I got healed of anything.

"I believe Mt Carmel, however, provides a superior education and experience to all these schools; but they all do a fine job."

That sir, is laughable. But you end well.

"I believe Mt Carmel, however, provides a superior education and experience to all these schools; but they all do a fine job."

That sir, is laughable. But you end well.

I was sincere in both statements. If you believe differently, fine - but there's no need to be so petty. So that we understand you better, please identify the school that taught you so well.. Thanks.

Those schools do offer a fine education, sports experience, and other things you mentioned -- the same as Marist. I believe Mt Carmel, however, provides a superior education and experience to all these schools; but they all do a fine job.

I do know there's a difference between charism and charisma (although one online dictionary identifies them as synonymous). I thought you made a typo. With all due respect to Marist, I never heard of their being empowered with spiritual healing capabilities.

If you're trying to get me to take a cheap shot at LA, forget it. I have a lot of respect for that school. In fact, I've attended the post-game mass at your chapel many times and found each to be a very spiritual experience. But, like Marist, I'm not sure if I got healed of anything.

You may think you know the difference, but if you are focused on healing, you don't understand what charism means as it refers to the unique brand of spirituality associated with different religious orders.

I'm not trying to get you to take a cheap shot at LA. What I am trying to do is to tell you that you are wrong when you say that, with the exception of a coeducational experience, a boy can get all the same things at MC, BR, SR and Marist.

My point exactly, that happens every year

2 years ago BR called their numbers into the CCL. SR called in a few more. Then BR called back in with anew number beating SR by a couple. I was at a meeting a month later about recruitment and retention of basketball officials. BR was the target of a lot of good natured ball busting. This seems to be an annual thing now. Three years before that it was not so good natured ball busting with BR tactics. Leave a sleeping dogs lie.
What sleeping dog?
It is order the schools absolutely fabricate theirs numbers
1DLS
2SR
3MC

The new President at Rice (Mark Donahue) is already bridging the divide with MM that his predecesor simply F_CK#D UP BEYOND BELIEF. I know MM admins were overjoyed to see Rice finally make a change.
The number that goes out to the general public is normally 10% inflated to account for make ups and hardships. Also Coach Badke is not in admissions and has nothing to do with any public release numbers from Rice. That would come from Alberts and O'Connell. Rice will do better than last year
what is the reason for bringing up Badke and not in admission
Mute point to me.
Was is just a hoax? BR actually out tested everyone last year? MC didn't have 210? SR 223? Everyone lies but BR? Somehow I think the other BR posters are not going to happy with your posts.
what would they not be happy about

I’m not sure we are talking about the same thing
Well BR tested 170 and accepted 166, that's an awfully high percentage. If you didn't accept all of those where did the others come from to hit 166. Southside asked the question I know the answer.

Whee in the world could you possibly get any such information?
The numbers were more accurate than people know, After the makeup test the week after the 1st exam the schools supply the CCL office with a list of names and grade schools the kids came from.

You may think you know the difference, but if you are focused on healing, you don't understand what charism means as it refers to the unique brand of spirituality associated with different religious orders.

I'm not trying to get you to take a cheap shot at LA. What I am trying to do is to tell you that you are wrong when you say that, with the exception of a coeducational experience, a boy can get all the same things at MC, BR, SR and Marist.

I've explained myself clearly.

Let me put it like this.

There are numerous brands of reliable cars with the same type of features. Some, however, have superior features to others -- but that doesn't mean that the other ones are unworthy. True, the Toyota Land Cruiser is larger than the Acura MDX, but that extra capacity serves no purpose for most drivers.

Also, before you share another lecture on etymology, please google, "charism." Google''s initial definition is "another term for charisma." Your particular definition is one of those mentioned, but it is one of six initial definitions that vary to some degree. I am comfortable with my usage of the word.

I know I’m not the only one in this thread that just appreciates the parents that let their kids take an entrance/placement exam at a private school. It’s a big sacrifice and not an easy decision.

Is negative recruiting really back in style?

Reactions: krock the house
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT