ADVERTISEMENT

The World Famous CCL-ESCC Predictions 2023 Week 5

PC survives DePaul. What happened there?
Well, Providence Catholic just isn’t that good. And they haven’t been for two years. People touted them for getting to state last year. They were overrated. The 4A state championship was Rochester versus SHG in 2022. PC was just there due to their geographical location.

I know those seem like fighting words. But the numbers don’t lie. We haven’t seen such a domination of a CCL team since… Well… Rochester destroyed Saint Rita in the 2019 5A championship.

Well, Providence Catholic just isn’t that good. And they haven’t been for two years. People touted them for getting to state last year. They were overrated. The 4A state championship was Rochester versus SHG in 2022. PC was just there due to their geographical location.

I know those seem like fighting words. But the numbers don’t lie. We haven’t seen such a domination of a CCL team since… Well… Rochester destroyed Saint Rita in the 2019 5A championship.
Stop it. Rochester Rochester Rochester. They are. 4A team maybe 5A? Let them play 6A, 7A or 8A then you can talk your crap. I would love to see them play Saint Rita, it would be a blowout just like when they stepped up and thought they could play with Loyola. It’s a joke, it’s amazing that that game wasn’t a reality check for the Rockets. Play ESL see how that goes. 😂

Rochester lost to Loyola by almost 60 points a couple years ago. I have nothing else to say about Rochester.

It’s ok. Cigaros has a six-shooter. He takes 6 shots a year at the CCL anchored by the 2019 memory vs St. Rita. He’s fired off 2 shots this season. 4 to go. Has to keep a couple in the chamber as a reminder when the playoff season starts. The shots are expected, sad but rightfully earned.

Stop it. Rochester Rochester Rochester. They are. 4A team maybe 5A? Let them play 6A, 7A or 8A then you can talk your crap. I would love to see them play Saint Rita, it would be a blowout just like when they stepped up and thought they could play with Loyola. It’s a joke, it’s amazing that that game wasn’t a reality check for the Rockets. Play ESL see how that goes. 😂
In '19, Rochester took it to Rita for sure. It happens. They deserved all the credit.

I do see your point, especially if Rochester played a very similar schedule to that of Rita. This kind of schedule would take its toll.

Ya can’t really use St. Rita as an example LOL. The Rochester teams of late haven’t been those Rochester teams. I don’t think they can beat ICCP in the playoffs this year, but they are a really good program that will beat most the field a class or 2 up.
Yep that was a special class and add in a Soph Hank Beatty. They knew what they had and dominated a sophomore/junior laden St. Rita team that exceeded expectations after a few down years. Still a testament to St. Rita’s program strength that Rochester would put the St. Rita name on their State Championship rings. Rent free.

Reactions: corey90
In '19, Rochester took it to Rita for sure. It happens. They deserved all the credit.

I do see your point, especially if Rochester played a very similar schedule to that of Rita. This kind of schedule would take its toll.
I get it. I guess I tire of these fans spouting off how great they are and how they have the best coach in the state. Bla bla bla. They are a great small school team that wins in 4A. The one time they believe their own hype and step up to play 8A they get their A#SS handed to them. They couldn’t play in 6, 7 or 8A. Yes they played one game with Rita and won. IMO Rita would beat them 9 times out of 10 any given year. Let’s not talk about other CCL teams like Brother Rice, MC, Loyola, NAZ, Marist. I mean the list goes on and on. I could easily find 25 team that would beat Rochester from Illinois. Okay I am on a rant but someone has to speak up. Lol

Yep that was a special class and add in a Soph Hank Beatty. They knew what they had and dominated a sophomore/junior laden St. Rita team that exceeded expectations after a few down years. Still a testament to St. Rita’s program strength that Rochester would put the St. Rita name on their State Championship rings. Rent free.
Rock
It was their superbowl. I mean every now and then a squirrel finds a nut.

I get it. I guess I tire of these fans spouting off how great they are and how they have the best coach in the state. Bla bla bla. They are a great small school team that wins in 4A. The one time they believe their own hype and step up to play 8A they get their A#SS handed to them. They couldn’t play in 6, 7 or 8A. Yes they played one game with Rita and won. IMO Rita would beat them 9 times out of 10 any given year. Let’s not talk about other CCL teams like Brother Rice, MC, Loyola, NAZ, Marist. I mean the list goes on and on. I could easily find 25 team that would beat Rochester from Illinois. Okay I am on a rant but someone has to speak up. Lol
Great points and duly ✅️

Reactions: lookoutforliam
Ok then, back to Week 5 of the 2023 season.

And back to the Rock baggin the gold!

Par was 6.69 correct allowing Rock (best lookin of the group, low bar), PJJP (Mr. Consistency), Buffoon (good for us he took a week off last week), McCar (HOF), dweise (rhymes with surprise), 80sRam (hittin his stride), Boundary (actual Ram while 80s above ends his with a bler), 3ow (2022 POY), TLone (didn’t believe in our Mustangs this week but I’ll forgive him because he’s top notch people), and Tux (hangin in there like his beloved bluebirds)

Without further ado, I present to you the Week 5 scoreboard brought to you by Illinois High School District 3A:

@RockSoup
@pjjp
@BillyTheBuffoon
@McCaravan
@dweise
@80sRambler
@BoundaryCorner
@3OrangeWhips
@tomloner
@tuccs
@refref01
@ignazio
@chiliconcarne
@ESCC fan
@stl705
@gobears25

Reactions: pjjp and ignazio
You asked what is wrong at PC. I gave you the answer. They aren’t that good. And haven’t been for a bit. You say Rochester or SHG should play St. Rita example right after I gave you the St. Rita demolition in 2019. I remember your comments prior to that 2019 game and then your silence during and post game. You state Rita wins that game 9 times out of 10 and then forget that little school from downstate let off the gas so as not to
Put a running clock on Rita. (One of the Rocket coaches went to St. Rita, you’re welcome). And then you provide any number of schools a downstate school should play. The inferiority complex is strong with you. Then again, you’re a Cubs fan. So it’s understandable you were bred with always looking upwards.

The argument for the likes of a northern bracket school to play a downstate school continually falls on deaf ears as none of the upstate Catholic schools can get past the public schools.

2010- Mac loses in 2nd round
2011-Mac loses in quarters
2012- no qualifiers
2013- st. Ed’s and Aurora Christian lose in 1st round. Rockford Lutheran got rocked by Geneseo.
2014-Rock Luth loses in quarters. Aurora Cath loses in 1st round. St Ed loses in second.
2015- Wheaton ACA loses in 1st round. Rock Luth and Ed lose in 2nd
2016- Aurora and Rock lose in 2nd
2017- no qualifiers
2018- iC wins!
2019- ahem….7A plays a 4A in the 5A and almost gets a clock put on them.
2021- JCA super team beats SHG super team.
2022- SHG super team beats PC super team

But tell you what, bring the 1900 kids from Wilmette to the best coach in the state and the “All Gas No Brakes” slogan would be owned by a little town of 5,000 just outside of Springfield. In the meantime, we all look forward to the desired Rochester vs IC matchup in this year’s final….if both sides take care of business in the 13 games leading to it.

On the Loyola game note, we saw none of the northern schools open the conversation about filling that week two open date. Teams only get better by playing better competition.

And as I always mention…. Why don’t the CCL schools play outside the state at a national level with the likes of Bosco, Chaminade, St. Frances, IMG, Gorman, Mater Dei (California, not Breese). There are five Midwestern schools ahead of Mt. Carmel in the top 75. All of whom have played outside the state against stiffer competition. Afterall, our friends at ESL do.

You asked what is wrong at PC. I gave you the answer. They aren’t that good. And haven’t been for a bit. You say Rochester or SHG should play St. Rita example right after I gave you the St. Rita demolition in 2019. I remember your comments prior to that 2019 game and then your silence during and post game. You state Rita wins that game 9 times out of 10 and then forget that little school from downstate let off the gas so as not to
Put a running clock on Rita. (One of the Rocket coaches went to St. Rita, you’re welcome). And then you provide any number of schools a downstate school should play. The inferiority complex is strong with you. Then again, you’re a Cubs fan. So it’s understandable you were bred with always looking upwards.

The argument for the likes of a northern bracket school to play a downstate school continually falls on deaf ears as none of the upstate Catholic schools can get past the public schools.

2012- no qualifiers
2013- st. Ed’s and Aurora Christian lose in 1st round. Rockford Lutheran got rocked by Geneseo.
2014-Rock Luth loses in quarters. Aurora Cath loses in 1st round. St Ed loses in second.
2017- no qualifiers
2018- iC wins!

But tell you what, bring the 1900 kids from Wilmette to the best coach in the state and the “All Gas No Brakes” slogan would be owned by a little town of 5,000 just outside of Springfield. In the meantime, we all look forward to the desired Rochester vs IC matchup in this year’s final….if both sides take care of business in the 13 games leading to it.

On the Loyola game note, we saw none of the northern schools open the conversation about filling that week two open date. Teams only get better by playing better competition.

And as I always mention…. Why don’t the CCL schools play outside the state at a national level with the likes of Bosco, Chaminade, St. Frances, IMG, Gorman, Mater Dei (California, not Breese). There are five Midwestern schools ahead of Mt. Carmel in the top 75. All of whom have played outside the state against stiffer competition. Afterall, our friends at ESL do.
sorry, we’re at Mass right now. Please call back at a later time.

I remember that Rochester/Rita game in the 5A final. If memory serves, that was the only time the Rockets played up in 5A, and they won the title in very impressive fashion. It begs the question: why don't they voluntarily petition up? How many 4A titles does it take before it becomes obvious they are too good for that class?

Reactions: corey90
All.... You have beat that St. Rita /Rochester drum to death. The Rita team you constantly reference in my opinion would of finished no better then third in the CS8 in 2019. It was just one of those years for them.

The CCL/ESCC conglomeration run the show overall in this state. Live with it.

Careful on talking about ESTL. They petition up as well. Something Rochester will never do. The deep end of the ocean can be dangerous and is not for everyone. Have a pleasant day.... Ratsy

All.... You have beat that St. Rita /Rochester drum to death. The Rita team you constantly reference in my opinion would of finished no better then third in the CS8 in 2019. It was just one of those years for them.

The CCL/ESCC conglomeration run the show overall in this state. Live with it.

Careful on talking about ESTL. They petition up as well. Something Rochester will never do. The deep end of the ocean can be dangerous and is not for everyone. Have a pleasant day.... Ratsy
That reminds me, the Sophs/juniors Rochester dominated, unfortunately became juniors and seniors in the 2020/21 spring Covid season and that St. Rita team lost 7-3 to Loyola with two missed FGs and a final incomplete pass inside the endzone from inside the ten yard line. They could’ve set up for a game winning FG if one of the 2 FGs were not missed or blocked. But dang, that team had at least 4 legitimate scoring chances vs the team that beat Rochester 60-0. Crazy, this game of football.

Edit: 2021 spring was the 7-3 game and 2021 fall was the Rochester Loyola 56-7 game. My bad. Point still stands, the Sophs/juniors in 2019 were an excellent junior/senior team

Last edited:

2012- no qualifiers
2017- no qualifiers
2018- iC wins!

ESL gets bank rolled by someone to make these trips. I'm not sure how one of the poorest communities in the nation affords these travel trips other wise. MC would probably love to play Mater Dei, Bosco, IMG or others and I know Coach Lynch would not shy away from the chance, but MC has trouble hunting down the yearly fee from some families let alone saying we need to fundraise and kick in extra to send 75 players, 10 coaches, 5 trainers, 4 managers and staff to California for 3 days which would be 40K on airfare alone. Now I would like them to jump on a bus and play a midwest power with an overnight stay and I hope it happens soon.

MC's schedule in the CCL Blue is hard enough, then they had ESL and Morgan Park in the non-conf, their schedule is legit, they owe no explanations or apologies. ESL conference is a cake walk for them each year.

Yep. That was kind of the point of the questions.

Reactions: RockSoup
That reminds me, the Sophs/juniors Rochester dominated, unfortunately became juniors and seniors in the 2020/21 spring Covid season and that St. Rita team lost 7-3 to Loyola with two missed FGs and a final incomplete pass inside the endzone from inside the ten yard line. They could’ve set up for a game winning FG if one of the 2 FGs were not missed or blocked. But dang, that team had at least 4 legitimate scoring chances vs the team that beat Rochester 60-0. Crazy, this game of football.

Edit: 2021 spring was the 7-3 game and 2021 fall was the Rochester Loyola 56-7 game. My bad. Point still stands, the Sophs/juniors in 2019 were an excellent junior/senior team
In that game Jr. Kaleb Brown only had 5 carries. Coach Kuska went out of his way during that short six game covid season to highlight the seniors on that team. During those six games Coach Kuska play calling was geared to create film for the seniors which I totally agreed with. Then as a Sr. Kaleb got hurt in the fall early in the first game when he was hit with a helmet to the knee as he was going out of bounds. He did not play again till the second game of the playoffs. During his sophomore year in five games he did not play the second half due to the lopsided scores. One of the biggest regrets I have as a St. Rita fan is we never really got to see how good Kaleb really was.

Let's remember that St. Rita's only losses last year were to the #1 and 2 teams in the state and they petitioned up to play in the same class as the number one team in the State. I think that speaks about the quality of the program.

In that game Jr. Kaleb Brown only had 5 carries. Coach Kuska went out of his way during that short six game covid season to highlight the seniors on that team. During those six games Coach Kuska play calling was geared to create film for the seniors which I totally agreed with. Then as a Sr. Kaleb got hurt in the fall early in the first game when he was hit with a helmet to the knee as he was going out of bounds. He did not play again till the second game of the playoffs. During his sophomore year in five games he did not play the second half due to the lopsided scores. One of the biggest regrets I have as a St. Rita fan is we never really got to see how good Kaleb really was.

Let's remember that St. Rita's only losses last year were to the #1 and 2 teams in the state and they petitioned up to play in the same class as the number one team in the State. I think that speaks about the quality of the program.
Just quickly on the hit that Kaleb Brown took as I remember it well, it if I'm wrong I apologize but it kinda sounds like you are making it to be a dirty hit which it was not. The pass was high, he jumped up to receive it, caught it and it was a bang/bang play, he caught it in the air as JT Harris made the hit. He left his feet to catch the ball, he was not running out of bounds or anything and hit late.

Reactions: Silver Rain
Just quickly on the hit that Kaleb Brown took as I remember it well, it if I'm wrong I apologize but it kinda sounds like you are making it to be a dirty hit which it was not. The pass was high, he jumped up to receive it, caught it and it was a bang/bang play, he caught it in the air as JT Harris made the hit. He left his feet to catch the ball, he was not running out of bounds or anything and hit late.
No apology necessary and no shot was intended. It's just football.

You are correct in every detail. KB was in the air to take in a high pass and Harris hit him at full speed in a perfectly timed tackle. No helmet was involved.

Are you really at mass, or are you watching channel 7?
I was going to get mad but that was well done.

Reminds me of growing up around the old timers. The churches would have a different language Mass later in the morning/day whether it be Polish, Lithuanian, Spanish etc. Well no matter how much they tied one on Saturday night, the old timers refused to miss Mass, even if that meant spending Sunday speaking in tongues at one of those later Masses.

On that note, I plead the 5th in regards to the suggestion that I have used Channel 7 today or any other day to fulfill my weekly duty/obligation/privilege/celebration.

I was going to get mad but that was well done.

Reminds me of growing up around the old timers. The churches would have a different language Mass later in the morning/day whether it be Polish, Lithuanian, Spanish etc. Well no matter how much they tied one on Saturday night, the old timers refused to miss Mass, even if that meant spending Sunday speaking in tongues at one of those later Masses.

On that note, I plead the 5th in regards to the suggestion that I have used Channel 7 today or any other day to fulfill my weekly duty/obligation/privilege/celebration.
I remember being at the mass where the celebrant had difficulty with English. I always wanted him to go in his native language and speed things up. I need to get home for the Bears game at noon.

I remember that Rochester/Rita game in the 5A final. If memory serves, that was the only time the Rockets played up in 5A, and they won the title in very impressive fashion. It begs the question: why don't they voluntarily petition up? How many 4A titles does it take before it becomes obvious they are too good for that class?
You ask a fair question. If Rochester was winning 4A state title games by 30-40 points, I'd agree that petitioning up would be warranted. However, the average margin of victory in the 4A state title games Rochester has won is 14.4 points. Three of their 4A victories were decided by 8 or fewer points, with the Morris game in 2017 going down to the final play of the game. In my view, the 2019 team was uniquely positioned to be successful in 5A due to having a much bigger than usual OL and three fantastic skill players in QB Bruno, RB DuRocher, and WR Beatty.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT