ADVERTISEMENT

IHSA membership votes for Football District Schedule

What exactly is this trying to solve again?
Was it too many conference shake ups?
Or select private school success?
Playoff travel times?
Competitive first round playoff games?
Not enough teams qualifying for playoffs?

This is non-solution to an unarticulated issue.

I will be revisiting the power points classification method to highlight a better way forward.

This is my question. Who were the schools that championed this? Like we NEED this. Like when the "success factor" was adopted it was clear it was the 5a schools sick of getting cranked on by Montini and Sacred Heart Griffin. Legitimate argument. Everyone was like "yeah okay we get it." But whats the deal with this one? I dont get it.

Am I missing something? Why is there concern about schools not matching up freshmen/soph/jv? Since the district will be both based on the size of the school AND location, isn't it going to be more likely that they are likely to have the same program layouts due to the same enrollment. I know there are exceptions where some programs have more participation, but, overall, that shouldn't be an issue. Or maybe I'm missing something.
Most CPS will have trouble fielding two teams much as less three.

Wow just wow

I did not think this would pass

I’m guessing the remains of the DVC - the Napers and Valleys voted for it.

Are the votes by school secret or are they public?

Like someone else mentioned - it would be a shame if non football playing schools were allowed to vote. They should have been required to be no opinion since no effect on them.

Last edited:
Wow just wow

I did not think this will pass

I’m guessing the remains of the DVC - the Napers and Valleys voted for it.

Are the votes by school secret or are they public?

Like someone else mentioned - it would be a shame if non football playing schools were allowed to vote. They should have been required to be no opinion since no effect on them.

The argument there is that it may effect non football schools because it adds stability to their conference.

Wow just wow

I did not think this would pass

I didn't think so, either. It's incredible to me that schools would vote for this not knowing who their fellow district members will be.

It will be very interesting to see what kind of buyer's remorse there will be with schools that wind up with a completely different district than the one they thought they would have. If Loyola's 8A district starts at the Wisconsin border and goes south and west from there, I'm liking it a lot. However, if Loyola is on the very northern edge of a district that does not include New Trier or Glenbrook South (the two closest 8A schools to LA), then I'm not so interested.

Last edited:
I didn't think so, either. It's incredible to me that schools would vote for this not knowing who their fellow district members will be.

It will be very interesting to see what kind of buyer's remorse there will be with schools that wind up with a completely different district than the one they thought they would have.

Yeah - there is no way I would vote for it without having an idea of what the districts look like. (Unless my Conference was broken and in constant flux and I know there are 8-12 similiar sized schools within 10 miles of me)

Kinda akin to voting for a school referendum cash funding program and not knowing what the money is going to be used for?

Yeah - there is no way I would vote for it without having an idea of what the districts look like. (Unless my Conference was broken and in constant flux and I know there are 8-12 similiar sized schools within 10 miles of me)

Kinda akin to voting for a school referendum cash funding program and not knowing what the money is going to be used for?

From an internal IHSA politics perspective, I wonder what kind of lobbying was done among the schools to vote for or against the proposal. I wonder if the school(s) proposing the district concept knew (or even strongly suspected) that they could get this passed without giving the IHSA membership an idea of what the districts would look like.

I can almost guarantee this was passed by the non football playing schools.

The more i think about it, the more likely I think this occurs. Would give prep bowl some real meaning for once.

Wow! That's a giant hair you'v got stuck up there. Some people anguish over injustice ... you've got the Prep Bowl.

What's everyone's favorite exhibition game going to be?

Also, are they still going to apply the/a multiplier? It'll be interesting to see how this DVC/WSC/SWP area shakes out

So the vote was on the idea of districting right, since there was no specific proposal? Does that mean another vote will have to follow with the specific districts, or a vote to determine the mathematic/set process for how districts will be set going forward?

It will be very interesting to see what kind of buyer's remorse there will be with schools that wind up with a completely different district than the one they thought they would have.

Voting for something without fully understanding the consequences seems to be a global trend of late.

I’m somewhat agnostic on districts that said, those complaining that they don’t like it because they didn’t get to see the specific districts in advance is ridiculous. 2 reasons...

1. The districts will be open to change every 2 years so they are not static. You may like it more or less each time it changes a little. So you can’t pick and choose based on liking the district the first cycle because it may not be the same in 2 years.

2. So if you get what you perceive to be a favorable district you may vote for it but likely vote against it if you don’t like your match ups. If they let people do that it’s no different than the teams hopping conferences looking for favorable match ups. You are going to be playing schools in your class for all district games... if you can’t qualify for the playoffs doing that boo hoo... why should you get to qualify by playing smaller schools or finding a conference that’s weak enough for you to get 5/6 wins. I’d rather have a 4-5 team qualify that played legitimate opponents of their own size all year rather than a 6-3/5-4 team that beat up on little sisters of the poor.

Looking at the districts they set up I can’t undersrand what the benefits are?here is one I found

Huntley
Stevenson
Barrington
McHenry
Dundee crown
Waukegan
Zion Benton
Warren

Wow! That's a giant hair you'v got stuck up there. Some people anguish over injustice ... you've got the Prep Bowl.
We all know the real anguish should be reserved for the injustice that is fake state champions playing in a class below where their regular season opponents were from.

Reactions: Gene K.
Looking at the districts they set up I can’t undersrand what the benefits are?here is one I found

Huntley
Stevenson
Barrington
McHenry
Dundee crown
Waukegan
Zion Benton
Warren

“They set up.” They didn’t set up squat.... this was a projection based on limited (read that as no) information by Soucie.

1. The districts will be open to change every 2 years so they are not static. You may like it more or less each time it changes a little. So you can’t pick and choose based on liking the district the first cycle because it may not be the same in 2 years.
How much could it change if you are a public school? It's based on enrollment and geography only. If you're a private school, it could change significantly, because you could experience "significant" success and be "success factored" into a new class, and thus a whole new group of schools within your geographic district. Therefore, IMO, for the vast majority of schools, there won't be much fluctuation. Why not get what the districts would look like before the vote? In general terms, most want all the possible information before they vote on something of this magnitude. You are talking about a major alteration to the football landscape. If I was a voting member, I'd want to see more specifics as to what that landscape would look like before I agree to something this major.

So, the BR & Marist regular seasons will be a meaningless walk-through with the only regular season game carrying any meaning being the yearly Pulaski Road Super Bowl matchup which will be for bragging rights and playoff positioning purposes every year the way I see it. And the playoff positioning really doesnt matter as we just saw as if you lose and get the lower seed you'll probably be rewarded with the home game in the inevitable playoff rematch. Might as well just rotate it back and forth as each team's homecoming every other year and really jack up the energy for 1 regular season game. Looks like a pointless exercise in futility to me.

How much could it change if you are a public school? It's based on enrollment and geography only. If you're a private school, it could change significantly, because you could experience "significant" success and be "success factored" into a new class, and thus a whole new group of schools within your geographic district. Therefore, IMO, for the vast majority of schools, there won't be much fluctuation. Why not get what the districts would look like before the vote? In general terms, most want all the possible information before they vote on something of this magnitude. You are talking about a major alteration to the football landscape. If I was a voting member, I'd want to see more specifics as to what that landscape would look like before I agree to something this major.

Assuming you understand that the districts are mixed Public and private and you agree a ton can change with the private’s over 2 years (especially now with the ease of how the multiplier May come and go under the new rules) then the significant (your own word) shifting of private’s in and out of your district will impact you as a public “significantly.”

And every time a shift occurs in a different nearby district in your class that can cause significant changes to who is considered geographically close to you or not changing your district as well. Anytime there is a change to one district in your class the dominos start to fall and could literally cause a change to every district in that class.

Assuming you understand that the districts are mixed Public and private and you agree a ton can change with the private’s over 2 years (especially now with the ease of how the multiplier May come and go under the new rules) then the significant (your own word) shifting of private’s in and out of your district will impact you as a public “significantly.”
As I said, if you are a private school, it can significantly change. It's possible a district could experience significant change, if it's comprised primarily of private schools. It won't change much if it's primarily public schools. You are overstating the "domino effect" for public schools.

As I said, if you are a private school, it can significantly change. It's possible a district could experience significant change, if it's comprised primarily of private schools. It won't change much if it's primarily public schools. You are overstating the "domino effect" for public schools.

In Texas the public and private are separate so private’s aren’t impacting anything.

Here is a link to Argyle HS’s district in 2018 and after that a link to their district in 2017. They redistrict every 2 years this was year one in the new cycle. Only ONE opponent (Sanger) is in both.

2018:
http://www.maxpreps.com/m/league/de...aa1&ssid=c3d47049-daf2-47e3-8a8e-1e4552d8a797

2017:
http://www.maxpreps.com/m/league/de...ed7&ssid=d7de9baf-87f8-4a16-bf62-ff51dcb7b9d5

To clarify, “a lot” of non football schools thought there needed to be a change. And only 17 more total thought it was needed? Must have different definition of “a lot”.

I just re looked at Soucies projections from a while back. Sycamore and Kaneland are projected to be in the same district as Montini. These schools will riot!

Reactions: ejg64 and Gene K.
So, the BR & Marist regular seasons will be a meaningless walk-through with the only regular season game carrying any meaning being the yearly Pulaski Road Super Bowl matchup which will be for bragging rights and playoff positioning purposes every year the way I see it. And the playoff positioning really doesnt matter as we just saw as if you lose and get the lower seed you'll probably be rewarded with the home game in the inevitable playoff rematch. Might as well just rotate it back and forth as each team's homecoming every other year and really jack up the energy for 1 regular season game. Looks like a pointless exercise in futility to me.

Although Marist and BR are geographically close, they could be in different districts depending on how the boundaries are drawn.

Although Marist and BR are geographically close, they could be in different districts depending on how the boundaries are drawn.
Really? Wow! That would take boundary line of 103rd St or 111th St. I can’t imagine who we’d be grouped with if we don’t even go with Marist. Could have zero rivalry games left as Rita, MC will be different classes.

Really? Wow! That would take boundary line of 103rd St or 111th St. I can’t imagine who we’d be grouped with if we don’t even go with Marist. Could have zero rivalry games left as Rita, MC will be different classes.
Does anyone actually believe that there will not be some gerrymandering with District lines?

Reactions: Skins93 and Gene K.
Great point i saw on twitter on how big of a detriment this will be to CPS. The changing divisions will be no longer.

So now we have districts. The next question is how does that change the current playoff structore, especially in 7A and 8A?

How do you seed teams if the nonconefrence games don't count? You have teams that play 7 games in a district. If 5 of those 8 teams go undefeated, they will have the same number of playoff points since these are now "closed conferences."

Is it geographically based or do you play within your district for the first 2 rounds of the playoffs?

Does the IHSA seed the teams and set up the pairings? We have all seen how well that has worked in the past.

Does anyone actually believe that there will not be some gerrymandering with District lines?
They better use google maps down to the tenth of a mile, otherwise the sh!t will hit the fan. I can’t see the Plainfield’s and Metro East schools being happy with the travel. Kiss goodbye to Friday night football with 4-5 hour travel times! And that’s with no accidents, construction zones or weather problems.

There was good reason the IHSA did not post a sample of what the divisions would look like. I still do not trust them.

Think about a good team stuck in a division with several superior teams. They go out and schedule two quality opponents for week one and two. They finish 5-4 but no playoff berth. Under the present system they would have more than enough playoff points. Maybe more than 7-2 teams in a weak division.

CPS may opt out with all of their non-competitive divisions.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT