ADVERTISEMENT

IHSA membership votes for Football District Schedule

You test a theory by going to extremes. There are plenty of CPS schools whose D line might average 180-200 pounds. Going 4 quarters against a team whose O line averages 290 pounds (and move well) would definitely increase injury risk. To think otherwise would be naive. Most of it would depend on the coaching staff of the superior team. We have seen HS coaches in the past five no quarter to opponents. Wasn't Rita/Taft 56-0 at halftime? As a parent, I would definitely be more concerned about injury to my son if everybody knew going in that he would be physically dominated for 4 quarters of football.
How many of the Taft players were carted off?

About 4. QB and punter gone after about 4 minutes. Tomloner might have a better number.
So would the QB and Punter from TAFT have been safer playing an 8A district opponent or is there an inherent risk in all football games. Further, is it a weight room/ training/ injury prevention issue and not a football issue? Taft probably would have been much safer if all the private schools just pull out of the IHSA like some propose. If they did that would a DePaul prep football player be at greater physical risk playing Loyola, Bishop Mac, or Marian Catholic. Also, would Taft have been safer playing Phillips?

So would the QB and Punter from TAFT have been safer playing an 8A district opponent or is there an inherent risk in all football games. Further, is it a weight room/ training/ injury prevention issue and not a football issue? Taft probably would have been much safer if all the private schools just pull out of the IHSA like some propose. If they did that would a DePaul prep football player be at greater physical risk playing Loyola, Bishop Mac, or Marian Catholic. Also, would Taft have been safer playing Phillips?
Mismatches do occur from time to time in any HS football schedule. Wouldn't it be better if you could allow ADs to minimize those, instead of mandate them?

Mismatches do occur from time to time in any HS football schedule. Wouldn't it be better if you could allow ADs to minimize those, instead of mandate them?
One of the complaints about the current playoff system is too many mismatches. Should we constrict the playoffs too. There are currently mismatches in just about every conference in the state in all sports. Those are mandated by conference play. I understand this is a broad brush statement but I believe there are two teams in every conference that from a competitive standpoint would like to leave if they could. They have to tolerate mandated mismatches.
Illinois is a diverse state geographically, enrollment, and in regards to athletic prowess. No one in Bloomington is sitting on a throne throwing out demands. This was proposed by member schools and voted in by a majority of member schools. My position is to simply understand it’s coming. Embrace it and tweek it as challenges present themselves. It’s a two year commitment cycle. In the next two years multiple conferences could have shifted and reformed just for football and inconsiderate of any other sport.

Now you’re going to extremes. You’re the same parent whose freshmen is good enough to play JV but refuses to allow it. Give me a varsity district matchup that you would have legitimate safety concerns. Now look at several first round playoff matchups in the current format where its a 40 point game by halftime. There is not an increase in injuries.
Joliet Central from 2012 played Bolingbrook. Bolingbrook had several DI men playing against a team that hadn’t won a game in years. It was 60-0 at half. No increase risk of injury and Joliet was playing 4 or 5 freshmen. Everyone survived just fine. The conferencee didn’t urge the teams not to play in consideration of safety.
Is that an ideal situation, no, but to claim safety means that a good chunk of the first round playoff games shouldn’t be played. And sometimes that’s a 9-0 or 8-1 cps team against a 5-4 team.
I have seen a handful of Hs games that kids got hurtBecause a 14 yr old should not be on JV field with an 17 or 18!Oh ya my sons have to sit 3 quarters of games Because oppents have been so bad.I hope the IHSA looks out for those schools that have small programs.Because they will either have coop teams or drop football all together

I have seen a handful of Hs games that kids got hurtBecause a 14 yr old should not be on JV field with an 17 or 18!Oh ya my sons have to sit 3 quarters of games Because oppents have been so bad.I hope the IHSA looks out for those schools that have small programs.Because they will either have coop teams or drop football all together

Freshmen parents don’t want their children playing frosh/soph and sophomore parents don’t want their children playing JV. Junior parents don’t want their son to play down on JV. So as a result more kids quit the sport regardless. Maybe football truly is dying a slow death. Unless a school can field 4 levels frosh, soph, JV, and varsity, kids will be asked to play up or down in some cases. Then people throw around the all powerful word safety as if coaches don’t do their absolute best to minimize risk.

I hope not, but I’m starting to think it’s the beginning of the end.

Do you think when Madden becomes an IHSA Esport we will have to deal with the multiplier and success factor for non-boundary schools or does IMSA just get a 2 or 3 round post-season bye?

Freshmen parents don’t want their children playing frosh/soph and sophomore parents don’t want their children playing JV. Junior parents don’t want their son to play down on JV. So as a result more kids quit the sport regardless. Maybe football truly is dying a slow death. Unless a school can field 4 levels frosh, soph, JV, and varsity, kids will be asked to play up or down in some cases. Then people throw around the all powerful word safety as if coaches don’t do their absolute best to minimize risk.

I hope not, but I’m starting to think it’s the beginning of the end.

Do you think when Madden becomes an IHSA Esport we will have to deal with the multiplier and success factor for non-boundary schools or does IMSA just get a 2 or 3 round post-season bye?
I have played,coached and trained players in this game for 40 yrs ,freshman do not belong on a jv team bottom line!Some sophomores that are small don’t belong on varsity,especially on top tier programs.Everyone needs to understand there is no JV team,everyone is on varsity and who ever doesn’t play on Friday has to show up on sat.Its not like there is a JV specifically at practice every night.

Coming from a smaller town background, I find the parents only wanting their kids playing their own grade kind of entertaining. I played basketball in a program that only had two coaches...the "Varsity" coach and the "JV" coach - and most of the conference schools were similar. But JV was what bigger schools called sophomore. The JV squad was all freshman & sophs. Freshman A&B games included all the players on the "JV" squad...the better sophs might only play the first half of the A game, the B game was pretty much all the scrubs play (and I played in B games against guys who got D1 hoops scholarships). We played a handful of freshman-JV game nights where the freshmen only played the frosh game and the junior/varsity scrubs would play with the sophs in the JV game...I was in college before I realized that there were schools that had actual fresh-soph-jv-varsity breakdowns.

Also coming from smaller towns comes unit districts, and summer programs/youth leagues that have multiple ages of kids playing together. Baseball levels were generally two years together - 7&8 grade, 5&6, 3&4, etc...Nobody was scared of playing with kids a year older because they had done it since T-ball and Dynamite football. Some of the better kids might actually moved up and skipped a level, playing with kids 2 years older. I saw plenty of big 6th graders playing on the youth league varsity with 8th graders in football...And some of the smaller rural (and private) schools might have 3rd & 4th graders filling out the 7th grade teams. Rick Schoon, the current long-time St. Anne HS hoops coach, came out of the Wichert elementary (which closed between his 7 & 8 grade years): he played 8th grade level hoops since 4th grade on a team that was like winless (4th grade), winless (5th), 2 wins (6th), went to state in 7th with 4 kids who started 7th & 8th grade since 4th grade. That team learned by getting killed by 7th graders as 4th graders, and by 7th grade they became the bullies.

Manteno's soph team this year took its lumps, largely because 6 soph starters were playing varsity full-time. McNamara I believe only had 17 seniors and 11 juniors, forcing sophs to play on varsity (and that small junior class is why I think Mac is going to not be anywhere near as good next year). Your average 1A school likely only has 40 kids in helmets & pads, so everybody dresses for the Friday night varsity game. Your above average Wilmington freshman is pissed when he doesn't start on the soph team, and the good ones expect to start both ways...Wilmo will toughen up the freshmen linemen by making them run the Oklahoma drill with the older kids the first week of practice - some of the more experienced bigger freshman boys have to learn that they are not going to hurt the high school boys by playing hard (my 20 year old was one, who constantly worried as a 195 lb 8th grader that he would hurt his teammates in practice if he went all out. One round of Oklahoma with the stud 280 lb tackle pancaking him changed his attitude quickly...).

I have played,coached and trained players in this game for 40 yrs ,freshman do not belong on a jv team bottom line!Some sophomores that are small don’t belong on varsity,especially on top tier programs.Everyone needs to understand there is no JV team,everyone is on varsity and who ever doesn’t play on Friday has to show up on sat.Its not like there is a JV specifically at practice every night.
I am not sure if this (see bold above) was exactly what you meant OR maybe I have a different idea of a JV team. Personally I think Stud freshmen would be OK on the JV team.

But I agree with you there is a Huge difference between a new freshman and an upper classman with 3-4 years high school football experience.

Coming from a smaller town background, I find the parents only wanting their kids playing their own grade kind of entertaining. I played basketball in a program that only had two coaches...the "Varsity" coach and the "JV" coach - and most of the conference schools were similar. But JV was what bigger schools called sophomore. The JV squad was all freshman & sophs. Freshman A&B games included all the players on the "JV" squad...the better sophs might only play the first half of the A game, the B game was pretty much all the scrubs play (and I played in B games against guys who got D1 hoops scholarships). We played a handful of freshman-JV game nights where the freshmen only played the frosh game and the junior/varsity scrubs would play with the sophs in the JV game...I was in college before I realized that there were schools that had actual fresh-soph-jv-varsity breakdowns.

Also coming from smaller towns comes unit districts, and summer programs/youth leagues that have multiple ages of kids playing together. Baseball levels were generally two years together - 7&8 grade, 5&6, 3&4, etc...Nobody was scared of playing with kids a year older because they had done it since T-ball and Dynamite football. Some of the better kids might actually moved up and skipped a level, playing with kids 2 years older. I saw plenty of big 6th graders playing on the youth league varsity with 8th graders in football...And some of the smaller rural (and private) schools might have 3rd & 4th graders filling out the 7th grade teams. Rick Schoon, the current long-time St. Anne HS hoops coach, came out of the Wichert elementary (which closed between his 7 & 8 grade years): he played 8th grade level hoops since 4th grade on a team that was like winless (4th grade), winless (5th), 2 wins (6th), went to state in 7th with 4 kids who started 7th & 8th grade since 4th grade. That team learned by getting killed by 7th graders as 4th graders, and by 7th grade they became the bullies.

Manteno's soph team this year took its lumps, largely because 6 soph starters were playing varsity full-time. McNamara I believe only had 17 seniors and 11 juniors, forcing sophs to play on varsity (and that small junior class is why I think Mac is going to not be anywhere near as good next year). Your average 1A school likely only has 40 kids in helmets & pads, so everybody dresses for the Friday night varsity game. Your above average Wilmington freshman is pissed when he doesn't start on the soph team, and the good ones expect to start both ways...Wilmo will toughen up the freshmen linemen by making them run the Oklahoma drill with the older kids the first week of practice - some of the more experienced bigger freshman boys have to learn that they are not going to hurt the high school boys by playing hard (my 20 year old was one, who constantly worried as a 195 lb 8th grader that he would hurt his teammates in practice if he went all out. One round of Oklahoma with the stud 280 lb tackle pancaking him changed his attitude quickly...).
I agree at smaller schools sophs play up and so do the teams they play!You play main south and Loyola’s and other larger programs you might see 1 soph on varsity in the past,but now all schools are mostly eliminating sophs for JV so now you will have 30 to 50 sophs playing varsity.Because as I stated before there really is no JV teams specifically just who doesn’t play on friday.

I am not sure if this (see bold above) was exactly what you meant OR maybe I have a different idea of a JV team. Personally I think Stud freshmen would be OK on the JV team.

But I agree with you there is a Huge difference between a new freshman and an upper classman with 3-4 years high school football experience.
Also depending on the school and the level they play!I have trained a kid who to Elmwood pk and he was small freshman who went to play varsity his freshman yr and did ok at corner, but no way at main south!

Also depending on the school and the level they play!I have trained a kid who to Elmwood pk and he was small freshman who went to play varsity his freshman yr and did ok at corner, but no way at main south!
Plus I am looking at it as a 55 year old who played in the late 1970's. Our studs then were NOT the physical specimen's that the kids are today.

Our 3 time All stater / 2 time all american middle linebacker was maybe 175 lbs soaking wet.

Reactions: Undercenter3rd1
I seen possible Districts which aren’t in stone yet.Can you imagine CPS telling Kennedy & Kelly “Oh sorry you can’t make the state playoffs but you will play 3 Catholic teams & get beat by 40-60 points

The Catholics schools feast on CPL the first couple of weeks now in the current system.

One of the complaints about the current playoff system is too many mismatches. Should we constrict the playoffs too. There are currently mismatches in just about every conference in the state in all sports. Those are mandated by conference play. I understand this is a broad brush statement but I believe there are two teams in every conference that from a competitive standpoint would like to leave if they could. They have to tolerate mandated mismatches.
Illinois is a diverse state geographically, enrollment, and in regards to athletic prowess. No one in Bloomington is sitting on a throne throwing out demands. This was proposed by member schools and voted in by a majority of member schools. My position is to simply understand it’s coming. Embrace it and tweek it as challenges present themselves. It’s a two year commitment cycle. In the next two years multiple conferences could have shifted and reformed just for football and inconsiderate of any other sport.
Conferences aren't mandated. ADs choose to join them.

Conferences aren't mandated. ADs choose to join them.
They are compelled not just chosen due to the difficulty of being independent. Once they are "chosen" they are locked into mandatory play regardless of equity.

I agree at smaller schools sophs play up and so do the teams they play!You play main south and Loyola’s and other larger programs you might see 1 soph on varsity in the past,but now all schools are mostly eliminating sophs for JV so now you will have 30 to 50 sophs playing varsity.Because as I stated before there really is no JV teams specifically just who doesn’t play on friday.

The typical 3A/4A size school still plays Fr/So/V rather than JV because kids buried on the 3rd string tend to quit. So, the good freshmen and sophs start on the soph level, and the third string sophs realize they have no future beyond finishing out blowouts on Varsity. They tend to get jobs, buy cars, and focus on girls instead. And the coaching staffs tend to discourage kids from skipping their junior years and coming back as seniors, burying those kids below the sophs. For those schools to dump the soph level for a JV would pretty much cause the kids to quit as sophs, leaving numbers problems for a JV squad...

I would suggest, however, that for a program like Wilmington with good numbers at the freshman & soph levels to have the opportunity to play an occasional JV type game would be quite beneficial. The second stringer juniors not in the regular rotation would greatly benefit from it, and some of the kids who quit might stick around The new playing restrictions, however, are going to render this nearly impossible.

Would the actual votes by available through a FOIA? Perhaps the private schools would only be exempt? Would be very interesting.

The typical 3A/4A size school still plays Fr/So/V rather than JV because kids buried on the 3rd string tend to quit. So, the good freshmen and sophs start on the soph level, and the third string sophs realize they have no future beyond finishing out blowouts on Varsity. They tend to get jobs, buy cars, and focus on girls instead. And the coaching staffs tend to discourage kids from skipping their junior years and coming back as seniors, burying those kids below the sophs. For those schools to dump the soph level for a JV would pretty much cause the kids to quit as sophs, leaving numbers problems for a JV squad...

I would suggest, however, that for a program like Wilmington with good numbers at the freshman & soph levels to have the opportunity to play an occasional JV type game would be quite beneficial. The second stringer juniors not in the regular rotation would greatly benefit from it, and some of the kids who quit might stick around The new playing restrictions, however, are going to render this nearly impossible.
My man you are right on.So many people are talking about districts,I keep saying removing sophmore football is the first step of killing football for the healthier programs,kids will quit those programs,JV football play time is for juniors and seniors first then sophs, nobody cares about winning the JV games it’s a glorified scrimmage.Parents in our community think the best sophomores are going to start over seniors.No way no how.Sophmores sit for a yr basically with no sophmore team at larger HS

My man you are right on.So many people are talking about districts,I keep saying removing sophmore football is the first step of killing football for the healthier programs,kids will quit those programs,JV football play time is for juniors and seniors first then sophs, nobody cares about winning the JV games it’s a glorified scrimmage.Parents in our community think the best sophomores are going to start over seniors.No way no how.Sophmores sit for a yr basically with no sophmore team at larger HS

Another person who doesn’t like change. Ohio does not field sophomore games yet they seem to be doing just fine. People go to the JV games here and guess what the sophs get better playing against older kids.

Another person who doesn’t like change. Ohio does not field sophomore games yet they seem to be doing just fine. People go to the JV games here and guess what the sophs get better playing against older kids.
Change is fine don’t mind that set up at all for medium to small schools,But larger programs will have up to 50 to 60 kids on JV and historically all the lesser talented kids play JV.By the way you don’t get better playing against juniors and seniors that wouldn’t even start on the soph team.I think you need to go watch some JV games,most are really bad football being played.Now at average or small schools you might only have 25 to 30 kids on JV which is great.

Change is fine don’t mind that set up at all for medium to small schools,But larger programs will have up to 50 to 60 kids on JV and historically all the lesser talented kids play JV.By the way you don’t get better playing against juniors and seniors that wouldn’t even start on the soph team.I think you need to go watch some JV games,most are really bad football being played.Now at average or small schools you might only have 25 to 30 kids on JV which is great.

I am not saying they are better but bigger stronger and maybe a little more mature in most cases. By the way the JV games in Ohio are actually pretty good. I do understand what your saying about big schools having to many kids. Some kids not getting playing time. If the schools are losing kids and enrollment is going down then this might be the answer?

In a lot of good smaller school programs, the coaches consider any game other than a Friday night varsity or playoff game to basically be a scrimmage...They swipe all the good players off the soph team and have them play varsity, because the Varsity game is the only one that matters. Some will let all the sophs start the year playing on the soph team, but by game three the stud sophs start filling the weak spots on varsity, and by week six the soph team looks nothing like what it was week 1...The coaching staffs aren't big enough to waste time with a JV game although there are kids who clearly would benefit from playing in JV games.

I was going over the enrollment numbers in all the schools kinda shocked why some schools where in conferences to begin with.
It should look something like this.
Big north district 3000 to 4000 kids and best winning percentages!Basically Waukegan,Taft and lane have over 3000 but low winning percentage.Rest of schools under 3000 kids
Warren
Barrington
Stevenson
Loyola
New treir
Glenbrook south
Evanston
Huntley

Looking at the projected districts I was taking a stab at what the playoff brackets would look like - looking at the historical strength of teams. But after fighting for years for 1-32 seeding that's out the window with District Football.

Question I thought I read somewhere that teams from the same District would not play each other till the third round. Does anyone know if that's true or how they will do the playoff brackets?

They are compelled not just chosen due to the difficulty of being independent. Once they are "chosen" they are locked into mandatory play regardless of equity.
Sure, the pressure to join a conference is real, but THERE IS A CHOICE AS TO WHICH CONERENCE YOU JOIN! It is not mandated by the IHSA. Once you join the conference THAT YOU CHOOSE TO JOIN, there is mandatory conference play. I think that the new CCL/ESCC merger showed that conferences can be flexible to meet the needs of smaller schools. In addition to that, the ADs have more non-cons to schedule to better match up with like programs (same lower levels, etc.).
You bring up playoff mismatches, but we're talking about mandated mismatches in the regular season, and a LOT of them. The current system is definitely not perfect, but I think that we should let the ADs do their jobs.

Reactions: pjjp
I have not been reading about districts. Does this apply to regular season schedule, playoffs or both?

Has anyone else reviewed Soucie's new district projections? 8A looks much cleaner while 7A and 6A appear to be complete disasters.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT