ADVERTISEMENT

IHSA - District Proposal - Official Language

Note that the DVC is one of the group who proposed it.
It's about the same travel time from Neuqua/Waubonsie/Metea Valley to Belleville (and O'Fallon and Edwardsville) as it is from Lockport or Joliet.
So let's see if any of them are willing to volunteer to be in District I-55.
I see a huge problem for the IHSA. If they don't do this 100% by the book (there is no book as of now) and treat everyone EXACTLY same I see court challenges. example: If you make an exemption for the metro East teams to cut on the travel why can't you make a exemption for my conference?

Another is you started my class by assigning teams North to South but if you went South to North I get an easier district.

What is started this other class East to West to keep traditional foes together?

I bet the IHSA is already looking at all these possibilities and praying this gets voted down.

I really wonder if the people who proposed this only did so to keep people off their backs. By answering all questions about the problems with this "the IHSA will figure it out" it shows a certain laziness on their part.

Last edited:
They would probably have to block off classes for districts to make travel work. 7a-8a teams could be mixed together etc.

They would probably have to block off classes for districts to make travel work. 7a-8a teams could be mixed together etc.
Even if you band classes together in groups you still probably limit your flexibility as some have said where it's only 7A+8A and only 6A+5, etc.

If districts become a reality I think that districts defined with overlapping bands (say 5-7% enrollment overlap) is the most flexible option. Then you'd place only 1 or 2 automatic district qualifiers who get placed on average district enrollement into the 8 classes. Then you get at large qualifiers who get placed on actual school enrollment (perhaps with weighted playoff points based on a football Enrollment type qualifier)

Just playing devils advocate - what if I'm a 6A school and would get a much better draw in which District I'm assigned if they combine 5&6A? If they combine 7&8, would they not have to combine 5&6, 3&4, 1&2? How about the smallest 7A school getting stuck the 5 biggest 8A schools.

Very poorly thought out. Plus they can't start until the CPS tells them how many teams that they are sending

Again devils advocate: What if the CCL/ESCC bows out? To those who say they can’t do it, the precedent was already set by allowing the CPS to exempt some of their schools from football but those schools can all play in all the other sports. I’m not a lawyer - nor do I play one on TV - but doesn’t the constitution say everyone has to be treated equally? The Fourteenth Amendment's Equal Protection Clause???

"We have to pass it to see what's in it!"

Just playing devils advocate - what if I'm a 6A school and would get a much better draw in which District I'm assigned if they combine 5&6A? If they combine 7&8, would they not have to combine 5&6, 3&4, 1&2? How about the smallest 7A school getting stuck the 5 biggest 8A schools.

Very poorly thought out. Plus they can't start until the CPS tells them how many teams that they are sending

Again devils advocate: What if the CCL/ESCC bows out? To those who say they can’t do it, the precedent was already set by allowing the CPS to exempt some of their schools from football but those schools can all play in all the other sports. I’m not a lawyer - nor do I play one on TV - but doesn’t the constitution say everyone has to be treated equally? The Fourteenth Amendment's Equal Protection Clause???

Yes you would block off 5/6 3/4 1/2 etc.

Reactions: CCLGUY1964

I have no problem with CCL/ESCC to bow out. I don't think there is any chance of that happening. They want to be involved in the playoffs and they want that State Trophy in the case. Alot of chest pounding going on but when the rubber hits the road I think we all know what will happen. They will get in line like everyone else. Kind of like when the playoffs expanded. Just because there are 8 State Titles now that doesn't mean teams look at winning one as "LESSER" value than if there were less classes. They might have at first but over time it has become the "NORM". Same will happen with Districts if they pass.

One of the reason the CCL/ESCC got their realignment done before the season was over is I'm hearing they are working on scheduling if this goes thru with several different scenarios.

I have no problem with CCL/ESCC to bow out. I don't think there is any chance of that happening. They want to be involved in the playoffs and they want that State Trophy in the case. Alot of chest pounding going on but when the rubber hits the road I think we all know what will happen. They will get in line like everyone else. Kind of like when the playoffs expanded. Just because there are 8 State Titles now that doesn't mean teams look at winning one as "LESSER" value than if there were less classes. They might have at first but over time it has become the "NORM". Same will happen with Districts if they pass.
I don't know how this plays out but I think LWE, MS, ESL want to play the best. I can see in a couple of years where The CCL could have the the top four teams in the rankings. Would an undefeated LWE and MS play for the largest class in the IHSA and not place in the top 3 or 4 in the Sun-Times poll. I see the IHSA becoming the NIT if the privates walk.

• Haha
Reactions: 4Afan
I don't know how this plays out but I think LWE, MS, ESL want to play the best. I can see in a couple of years where The CCL could have the the top four teams in the rankings. Would an undefeated LWE and MS play for the largest class in the IHSA and not place in the top 3 or 4 in the Sun-Times poll. I see the IHSA becoming the NIT if the privates walk.
This board is very CCL heavy in posters, so the opinions/feelings here get skewed. Personally, I have no issues with the current system, but if we all woke up tomorrow and the privates were out of the IHSA playoffs, I think the overwhelming majority of public schools would think Christmas came early.

This board is very CCL heavy in posters, so the opinions/feelings here get skewed. Personally, I have no issues with the current system, but if we all woke up tomorrow and the privates were out of the IHSA playoffs, I think the overwhelming majority of public schools would think Christmas came early.

I think most privates would stay if there was a choice.

I would bet you whatever you want to bet that the players and coaches would care a hell of alot more about a State Title Trophy in the Trophy case rather than a ranking by a newspaper. You are definitely out of touch with todays players/coaches. Sun-Times paper rankings are worth less than the paper they are written on.

Reactions: corey90 and 4Afan
Still haven’t heard a good argument for it….
Are you looking at how this effects all sports?

One of the main reasons districts was proposed was because a number of schools are continually moving conferences looking for a competitive balance for football but that can create a great imbalance when it comes to competitiveness for all other sports. Districts allows football to be separated and schools can stay in conferences where they can be competitive in all other sports.

That is a main reason that many schools will vote in favor of this. Schools will vote in whichever way will benefit each school as a whole, not just football. Some may not care and just vote yes because another school asked them to. Remember it's the Principals that cast the vote, not the AD's, coaches, or fans. Some Principals don't get along with their AD's and won't take their desires into consideration.

You've said a decision shouldn't be made without seeing what the districts will be, yet you seem to have made up your mind without knowing what the districts will look like. The last iteration of this was over turned once the proposed districts were announced so it is likely that they will be different this time around. Nothing has been decided so who's to say there won't be 6 team districts instead of 8 team districts? What if the vast majority of CPS schools are kept together in the same districts versus being in districts with suburban schools where they wouldn't be competitive?

You don't see a way for this to be beneficial or successful, but you have absolutely zero facts or insight as to what the finished product will look like. You want to get upset? How about you wait to see if it even passes and if it does wait until April-ish to see how it plays out and what the districts and schedule look like.

Reactions: Publichater6969
Ah yes, the definitive proof as to who the best team in the state is, the Sun Times poll.

One of the main reasons districts was proposed was because a number of schools are continually moving conferences looking for a competitive balance for football but that can create a great imbalance when it comes to competitiveness for all other sports. Districts allows football to be separated and schools can stay in conferences where they can be competitive in all other sports.

That is a main reason that many schools will vote in favor of this. Schools will vote in whichever way will benefit each school as a whole, not just football. Some may not care and just vote yes because another school asked them to. Remember it's the Principals that cast the vote, not the AD's, coaches, or fans. Some Principals don't get along with their AD's and won't take their desires into consideration.

You've said a decision shouldn't be made without seeing what the districts will be, yet you seem to have made up your mind without knowing what the districts will look like. The last iteration of this was over turned once the proposed districts were announced so it is likely that they will be different this time around. Nothing has been decided so who's to say there won't be 6 team districts instead of 8 team districts? What if the vast majority of CPS schools are kept together in the same districts versus being in districts with suburban schools where they wouldn't be competitive?

You don't see a way for this to be beneficial or successful, but you have absolutely zero facts or insight as to what the finished product will look like. You want to get upset? How about you wait to see if it even passes and if it does wait until April-ish to see how it plays out and what the districts and schedule look like.
What is this solving? Conference shuffling….sure but is that really a reason to do this. I just don’t get how this solves anything????

• Love
Reactions: Gene K.
What is this solving? Conference shuffling….sure but is that really a reason to do this. I just don’t get how this solves anything????
This make life easier for some AD’s who have trouble keeping their conferences together. Everyone is looking for five easy wins for playoff qualification.

But this makes life much harder for a lot of other people. More than half of the CPS doesn’t pay full underclassmen schedules. You are not going to get freshmen, sophomore, and varsity schedules from a lot of teams. Thus YOU have to go out and find someone to play. All this accomplishes to shift the work to someone else. Does playing easier teams make you better? Heck no. I think this dilutes the game.

St. Rita had eight (8) playoff qualifiers on their regular season schedule. Four (4) of those teams were finalists, with two (2) winning titles. Yea, St. Rita got beat up like everyone else by the end of the CCL season but are five CPS schools going to make you stronger? No way.

I hope this fails.

Last edited:
This make life easier for some AD’s who have trouble keeping their conferences together. Everyone is looking for five easy wins for playoff qualification.

But this makes life much harder for a lot of other people. More than half of the CPS doesn’t pay full underclassmen schedules. You are not going to get freshmen, sophomore, and variety schedules from a lot of teams. Thus YOU have to go out and find someone to play. All this accomplishes to shift the work to someone else. Does playing easier teams make you better? Heck no. I think this dilutes the game.

St. Rita had eight (8) playoff qualifiers on their regular season schedule. Four (4) of those teams were finalists, with two (2) winning titles. Yea, St. Rita got beat up like everyone else by the end of the CCL season but are five CPS schools going to make you stronger? No way.

I hope this fails.
8 playoff opponents? That's impressive but I did have to look it up to believe it. I guess it Antioch played that schedule they wouldn't have been clocked in the playoffs.

8 playoff opponents? That's impressive but I did have to look it up to believe it. I guess it Antioch played that schedule they wouldn't have been clocked in the playoffs.
If Antioch played that schedule they would not have been in the playoffs.

One would think Antioch would be opposed to districts, as they’re in the softest non-CPS conference now. But Soucie has them in an even softer district, so I guess it’s a “yay” from them.

If you are not the one who has to solve the problem, don't say its not a problem. The one's who have to deal with all of the issues (conf. shuffling, non-cons, 5-wins, parents, facilities, etc.). So, just sit and wait while the adults handle this.

How many games would they have even won?
None, they would go 0-9. Marmion Academy would be the only close one. But I would rate Marmion a two score favorite. Carmel of Mundelein beat Marimion 28-14 and then beat Antioch 50-7.

One would think Antioch would be opposed to districts, as they’re in the softest non-CPS conference now. But Soucie has them in an even softer district, so I guess it’s a “yay” from them.
Saw one of their other assistants (not the one guy, a different one) on a Twitter reply to one of the articles who was anti district. For whatever that is worth (probably not much)

Reactions: ignazio
If you are not the one who has to solve the problem, don't say its not a problem. The one's who have to deal with all of the issues (conf. shuffling, non-cons, 5-wins, parents, facilities, etc.). So, just sit and wait while the adults handle this.
Cool story…

Saw one of their other assistants (not the one guy, a different one) on a Twitter reply to one of the articles who was anti district. For whatever that is worth (probably not much)
Guys, I think Antioch is well-aware of the fact that their schedule is soft. Unfortunately, outside of the non-con, they don't really have anywhere else to go, given the school is about one mile from Wisconsin, all of southern Lake County is in the NSC, while McHenry Country has a closed Fox Valley Conference with non-cons unavailable.

Sorry but you have one major flaw in your writing. The principals DO NOT vote on the proposals. The "IHSA REP" is the person who officially places the vote. Schools are all across the board on WHO is the Official IHSA REP for the them. Some are principals and others are AD's. If I had to take a guess I would be its about 60/40 AD's who are official reps.

Reminder......the actual voting is done by school principals not ADs or coaches...and unfortunately in more cases than not what the coaches/AD want is not always the way these things get voted.....sadly. Those votes get campaigned for favors back and forth etc.
Just going off what Edgy himself said here.

It would be extremely interesting to see how a 3 or 4-season cycle would play out if the privates, CPL and remaining publics went their respective ways. Maybe the combinations of districts proposal passing and some unacceptable groupings could create this push. I also think the effects of arranging lower level games is being severely understated.

It would be extremely interesting to see how a 3 or 4-season cycle would play out if the privates, CPL and remaining publics went their respective ways. Maybe the combinations of districts proposal passing and some unacceptable groupings could create this push. I also think the effects of arranging lower level games is being severely understated.
Would be interesting, but we will never find out. The private schools will not leave the IHSA. No matter what decisions are made. Just as the ADs and other Admins don't want to deal with conference shuffling and 5-win schedules, the private schools don't want the responsibility to run an entire system. Biggest problem is that they would not be able to agree on anything. And that's why they won't leave, even if districts pass, even if the districts are weak, non-competitive, etc.
Can't wait for the results of the vote to be announced.

Reactions: 4Afan and johnndoe
I live & coach in the Western Suburbs. I have not heard of a single coach in our conference or in the area that supports Districts.
Neither have I in CPS. It seems to me that the only ones pushing for this are those that are not actually in the schools or on the coaching staffs. And we are the ones that this directly affect. Just a bunch of people trying to tell us what we want and what is best for us.

Last time districts were voted on a large percentage of CPS schools didn't even register a vote. Meaning they never submitted to the IHSA so their vote didn't even matter. Also had a number of schools that didn't even have the sport of football at their school vote on the issue. I am only saying this to bring attention to the fact that the vote and how it actually plays out will be interesting. I hear people on this board say CPS is against Districts but knowing that not ALL of the schools in CPS even submit a vote by the deadline means the vote coming from them as a group might not make a difference. Also knowing schools that are in favor of districts can make some phone calls and have "Friends" at schools that don't even have football vote in their favor also is very interesting. And yes this happens all the time. You don't have to have the sport at your school to have a vote that effects the sport. I really don't like that and it needs to be fixed. Moral of the story is I believe the vote is very hard to tell which way its going to go. Especially with all of the variables. There have been times when on 50-60% of ALL SCHOOLS submitted a vote before the deadline. Only time will tell.

This is not analogous - all the CPS schools are still part of the IHSA and play by IHSA rules, they aren't "exempt" from anything. The blue conferences just elect not to participate in the playoffs.

In theory, I would imagine any school could decline to play in the playoffs as long as they abided by IHSA rules. It just so happens that its a symbiotic decision when it's CPS blue.

This is not analogous - all the CPS schools are still part of the IHSA and play by IHSA rules, they aren't "exempt" from anything. The blue conferences just elect not to participate in the playoffs.

In theory, I would imagine any school could decline to play in the playoffs as long as they abided by IHSA rules. It just so happens that its a symbiotic decision when it's CPS blue.
So if the CPS decided to keep four or five conferences out of the District Football format would they be punished? This is a voluntary organization or not?

What you are not listening to is that the CPS coaches committee is all in on informing our schools to vote against districts and are making sure that they do vote....emails and phone calls have already went out.

Question: If this does not pass are there any conferences or teams that are in trouble because they have done nothing to get ready for next year scheduling games?

Reactions: ignazio
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT