ADVERTISEMENT

IHSA - District Proposal - Official Language

Just pulled it up on Spotify. 2 hours 28 min whoo boy.
Always good to hear Soucie's insight but nothing revolutionary here. You also only need to listen to the first hour. After that they just start breaking down each district.

My biggest takeaway is that if this is approved it will happen for 2024. There won't be an option to repeal once districts are revealed, it would need to be proposed and voted on in the next legislative session prior to 2025. So if it's voted for, it's the new reality for at least one year and likely for longer than that because to tear this down and build new conferences after 2024 would be a nightmare for AD's.

Always good to hear Soucie's insight but nothing revolutionary here. You also only need to listen to the first hour. After that they just start breaking down each district.

My biggest takeaway is that if this is approved it will happen for 2024. There won't be an option to repeal once districts are revealed, it would need to be proposed and voted on in the next legislative session prior to 2025. So if it's voted for, it's the new reality for at least one year and likely for longer than that because to tear this down and build new conferences after 2024 would be a nightmare for AD's.
Hey if 50%+1 keep conferences in place for all other sports (similar point is brought up in the pod regarding JV scheduling) they can vote back the old model and say "sorry" to those who somehow burned their old conference bridges. Guess they'll play independent and have to schedule 9 games from scratch each year until they can re-establish homes. If it's gonna pass narrowly, even a one year disaster trial seemingly can be rolled back with relative ease.

Reactions: 4Afan
wouldn't it make sense to see the system before we have the vote?
Highly doubt the IHSA is going to spend all the time and money to put together their system for districts, and possibly have it not pass. They want to know for sure that it has passed before they invest.

As a CPS coach, I can tell you that we have talked about the possibility of districts and most coaches are against them. Most of these proposed districts don't take in consideration that the white and red divisions are the ones eligible for state not the blue. So going off of what some of these models look like, the coaching committee is against it and we are telling our principals and ADs to vote against this. And with over 130 voting member schools, any proposal will need our backing to pass.

As a CPS coach, I can tell you that we have talked about the possibility of districts and most coaches are against them. Most of these proposed districts don't take in consideration that the white and red divisions are the ones eligible for state not the blue. So going off of what some of these models look like, the coaching committee is against it and we are telling our principals and ADs to vote against this. And with over 130 voting member schools, any proposal will need our backing to pass.
The Voting member needs to be educated in short order. Lincoln Park, Whitney Young, and Kenwood are all good CPS teams. But If they play Mount Carmel and then Rita two weeks later it's going to take it's toll on them. Taft in 8A D3 looks bad for them but 6A D4 looks good for you. So I guess it's real two edged sword.

Reactions: tomloner
Do you find CPS coaches are basically happy with the status quo? Or are there changes they would want?

For the most part, we are cool with the current set up. Majority of CPS schools (red and white divisions) look at playing non CPS as a challenge that we are willing to take during the playoffs, but losing our city championship is automatic no go for us.

Reactions: Snetsrak61
All CPS should be eligible for the state & city playoffs!!! I've heard the arguement & don't care. That drives me bat shit crazy to oppress those teams like that.

You want him flushed but keep instigating. How are you any better?
I'm passionate & didn't think i said anything wrong. I thank you for taking up for me. There are 4 or 5 who instigate with me but i think for the most part I've done pretty good & sorry if not

For the most part, we are cool with the current set up. Majority of CPS schools (red and white divisions) look at playing non CPS as a challenge that we are willing to take during the playoffs, but losing our city championship is automatic no go for us.
Good stuff. I selfishly hope CPS is the voting block needed to push the nays over. Several years ago when Naz was struggling to fill non-cons they scheduled several CPS opponents. But immediately when I pulled up Soucies projections immediately saw several of the Noble charter schools that looked like they still have a pretty high incident of forfeits. So selfishly, would hope any programs that do end up in districts are in a healthy enough position to field a full 9 game schedule. Of course, not every program is going to be at that level each year, but seems CPS in a separate conference can best manage that dynamic and not get shoehorned into districts for schools that maybe aren't at that level.

All CPS should be eligible for the state & city playoffs!!! I've heard the arguement & don't care. That drives me bat shit crazy to oppress those teams like that.
Man I appreciate the sentiment, but have you seen a blue conference game recently? Only 3 teams in the blue conference this year were able to complete a 9-game season. 3!!! There are literally teams showing up to games with 15 players. More people need to care about those schools that are struggling, but they are absolutely not on a level to compete with the majority of the state. I guess you've already said you "don't care", so maybe I'm wasting my words.

You would be the first person on here ripping those teams to shreds for losing 70-0 or worse in the first round.

Reactions: jha618
You would be the first person on here ripping those teams to shreds for losing 70-0 or worse in the first round.
I believe he went so far as saying an 0-9 CCL team would put a running clock on a 9-0 CPS team.

Devil's advocate. Would a move to districts make city championship more meaningul since many top teams won't play each other during regular season

I believe he went so far as saying an 0-9 CCL team would put a running clock on a 9-0 CPS team.
Which is obviously factually inaccurate by many degrees... I never understand why people feel the need to be hyperbolic in these comparisons. Obviously the CCL is leaps and bounds better, but a statement like that is crazy.

The best CPS teams beat "good" CCL teams every now and then...

Like MP beating Fenwick last year or Viator the year before
or Phillips beating Loyola in 2017 and Fenwick and Carmel in 2014
or Simeon beating Fenwick last year and Ignatius in 2017

And lost close games to good CCL teams all the time...
Like Kenwood losing to Rita by 13 this year
or MP losing to MC by 10 this year
or Phillips losing to MC by 16 in 2019
or Payton losing by 4 to Fenwick in 2019

I'm not sure when the last time there was a 0-9 CCL team, but a 0-9 Leo isn't beating Taft, WY, Amundsen, Lane, etc. etc., more or less putting a running clock on them. SMH.

Last edited:
I'm not sure when the last time there was a 0-9 CCL team, but a 0-9 Leo isn't beating Taft, WY, Amundsen, Lane, etc. etc., more or less putting a running clock on them. SMH.
But those teams are 7 & 8A teams are they not? A 1-8 2A Leo maybe could run the table in 2A D1?

Last edited:
But those teams are 7 & 8A teams are they not? A 1-8 2A Leo maybe could run the table in 2A D1?
yea I think a 1-8 Leo team could win a few games in 2A but not sure they are beating Maroa, Wilmington, etc.

But that's a completely separate point. The comment I was responding to is that an "0-9 CCL team would hang 70 on a 9-0 CPS team". All examples above (Leo and CPS teams) were thrown out at random, and there aren't any CPS teams in 2A this year but maybe this is a better comp: 3A 8-1 Noble Johnson lost by 1 pt to Stillman Valley in the playoffs. Leo would not hang 70 on them.

I wouldn't get wound up in the hypotheticals, the comment itself was just ridiculous. I would love to even see an 0-9 CCL schedule - I'm not familiar with a team that bad out of that league.

Reactions: jha618
yea I think a 1-8 Leo team could win a few games in 2A but not sure they are beating Maroa, Wilmington, etc.

But that's a completely separate point. The comment I was responding to is that an "0-9 CCL team would hang 70 on a 9-0 CPS team". All examples above (Leo and CPS teams) were thrown out at random, and there aren't any CPS teams in 2A this year but maybe this is a better comp: 3A 8-1 Noble Johnson lost by 1 pt to Stillman Valley in the playoffs. Leo would not hang 70 on them.

I wouldn't get wound up in the hypotheticals, the comment itself was just ridiculous. I would love to even see an 0-9 CCL schedule - I'm not familiar with a team that bad out of that league.
Soucie has the following schools in Leo's District:

Chicago Collins coop
Chicago Noble Drw
Chicago NNoble Row
UCCS Woodlawn

But you might be right. I don't think 75% of the CPS schools will participate in District football the same way they exempt these schools from IHSA playoffs now. So Soucie's District need to be redrawn. If the CCL walks maybe the IHSA goes back to 6 classes again.

Last edited:
Soucie has the following schools in Leo's District:

Chicago Collins coop
Chicago Noble Drw
Chicago NNoble Row
UCCS Woodlawn

But you might be right. I don't think 75% of the CPS schools will participate in District football the same way the exempt these schools from IHSA playoffs now. So Soucie's District need to be redrawn. If the CCL walks maybe the IHSA goes back to 6 classes again.
I realize I totally misread @SOUTHSIDECFD s post.

Yes, I totally think Leo runs the table in their district under Suicie's proposal. I don't think they run the table in the 2A playoffs.

Reactions: CCLGUY1964
Guys, this is going to pass. One reason it was pulled before was because the first two games (non-con) didn't count. I'm doubtful that they'd come back with the same exact proposal. So for the Batavia-Geneva rivalry for example ... they'll play Week 1 or 2 and will unlikely be in the same district.

After two years, they'll redo the district alignments, just as they do enrollment classifications. Can't do 7, can't do 9. It'll be 8 teams (7 weeks), they'll make it work. Otherwise it's unbalanced and unfair.

They'll never contract classes, that kills opportunity for member schools. Remember, it's a member-run organization.
I realize this post was over a month ago and I'm late to respond. I've been told by a friend with deep IHSFCA ties that districts won't pass. As with everything else, time will tell.

Reactions: Snetsrak61
I realize this post was over a month ago and I'm late to respond. I've been told by a friend with deep IHSFCA ties that districts won't pass. As with everything else, time will tell.
The folks Ive talked to (mostly coaches) feel like it will pass. Or atleast the say the majority of the coaches favor the district proposal.

The folks Ive talked to (mostly coaches) feel like it will pass. Or atleast the say the majority of the coaches favor the district proposal.
Well My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Ferris pass-out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Man I appreciate the sentiment, but have you seen a blue conference game recently? Only 3 teams in the blue conference this year were able to complete a 9-game season. 3!!! There are literally teams showing up to games with 15 players. More people need to care about those schools that are struggling, but they are absolutely not on a level to compete with the majority of the state. I guess you've already said you "don't care", so maybe I'm wasting my words.
I don't know if they have a hard time scheduling or what. A bunch of the schools played 7 or 8 games. Some need to go to 8 man football I think. I get what you're saying. I mean if the Blue Conference teams made the state playoffs this year Naz the State Champ would not even got in!!! Ofc too Chicago Christian forfeited a game & made the state playoffs

I don't know if they have a hard time scheduling or what. A bunch of the schools played 7 or 8 games. Some need to go to 8 man football I think. I get what you're saying. I mean if the Blue Conference teams made the state playoffs this year Naz the State Champ would not even got in!!! Ofc too Chicago Christian forfeited a game & made the state playoffs
I think the vast majority of missed games are from forfeits. If a team plays 3 games then folds, that's 6 other teams missing a slot. Then like you mentioned, there are team who play 8 that I think struggle to fill their schedule because a team they may have been lined up to play can't field football at all the following season. As examples, Hirsch, Austin, Wells, etc. no longer field teams at all (not sure if they did last year, just 3 off the top of my head that stop fielding teams.)

Embarrassing forfeit for Chicago Christian, what was the issue? I assume they were just scared to play Hope, but they had a good team and could have kept it respectable IMO.

Totally agree on 8-man. Chicago has alot of great athletes, a CPS 8-man league would be pretty electric. Not sure why CPS stopped running 8-man like 15 years ago.

Coach Percy has posted here that most of the CPS coaches are against it. But the coaches don't get to vote. Also, the CCL/ESCC are against it. That's a big chuck of the votes. Add in the Moline and Metro East teams that have 550 mile round trips for games and coaches from stable conferences and I don't see a 50% plus one to pass this.

"We have to pass it to see what's in it!" worked the 1st time around. The proposers of this knew it wouldn't pass if people saw the Districts first thus the short turn a round time to start it this coming fall. Soucie's sample districts may have been the death nail for the proposal.

Edgy's poll is 2 to 1 against. That was close to the vote on the motion to reconsider.

If it does pass I see football suffering because of it. A lot of schools won't be able to play a full slate of games for the freshmen, sophomores and varsity. Most of the districts as proposed are unbalanced. You could pick out the have and the have nots pretty quickly.

I just do not see the overwhelming need for this for 75% of the schools.

Last edited:
I think the vast majority of missed games are from forfeits. If a team plays 3 games then folds, that's 6 other teams missing a slot. Then like you mentioned, there are team who play 8 that I think struggle to fill their schedule because a team they may have been lined up to play can't field football at all the following season. As examples, Hirsch, Austin, Wells, etc. no longer field teams at all (not sure if they did last year, just 3 off the top of my head that stop fielding teams.)

Embarrassing forfeit for Chicago Christian, what was the issue? I assume they were just scared to play Hope, but they had a good team and could have kept it respectable IMO.

Totally agree on 8-man. Chicago has alot of great athletes, a CPS 8-man league would be pretty electric. Not sure why CPS stopped running 8-man like 15 years ago.
The pantagraph had an article about the game between Hope and Chicago Christian. Called it a defensive showdown that ended 2-0!

I just do not see the overwhelming need for this for 75% of the schools.
I think this is likely exactly it. There very well may be 25% who very adamantly are for it and they're just baking on getting 25% low info voter's along for the ride because nothing in the proposal sounds apparently awful to a low info voter. Like a cleverly worded proposition vote in local elections.

Reactions: Coach Percy
I think this is likely exactly it. There very well may be 25% who very adamantly are for it and they're just baking on getting 25% low info voter's along for the ride because nothing in the proposal sounds apparently awful to a low info voter. Like a cleverly worded proposition vote in local elections.
I understand the other side of the issue with conference jumping and trying to get five wins. But looking at most of the districts some of the teams will never make it to the playoffs under this system or the present one.

I understand the other side of the issue with conference jumping and trying to get five wins. But looking at most of the districts some of the teams will never make it to the playoffs under this system or the present one.
Along with low info these might also be high apathy voters, yea. But they may not also realize the potential for shake up on the lower levels and find the scheduling woes just shift a bit, without getting easier.

Still haven’t heard a good argument for it….
As a staunch anti district advocate I'll be honest and say some of the reasons are... Somewhat good. The conference shuffling issue for example is real. And it does make sense to qualify for playoffs on the basis of the classification of schools you'll play (why I would still say a modern version of football Enrollment deserves consideration).

But is the solution the best route? I'd say no, but many of the schools who will vote yes, It may be a legitimate yes for them.

But I do struggle to see how it's a legit yes for 50%+1 of schools. But there are undoubtedly other not good reasons for it that could push that number very close or over 50%. And it's going to be very bad for many schools. I'd suspect it will be very bad for more schools than very good for other schools. In the long run does that make it worse even for the schools who it's initially good for? Only time owild tell.

Note that the DVC is one of the group who proposed it.
It's about the same travel time from Neuqua/Waubonsie/Metea Valley to Belleville (and O'Fallon and Edwardsville) as it is from Lockport or Joliet.
So let's see if any of them are willing to volunteer to be in District I-55.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT