ADVERTISEMENT

IHSA - District Proposal - Official Language

Question: If this does not pass are there any conferences or teams that are in trouble because they have done nothing to get ready for next year scheduling games?
The CCL realigned their conferences for next year before the season was over. Everyone was told to schedule their weeks one and two games asap. The crossover game are done in pencil but let's see if this proposal passes.

So if the CPS decided to keep four or five conferences out of the District Football format would they be punished? This is a voluntary organization or not?
If they were allowed to opt out of districts, assuming they would be allowed, they wouldn't have a path to qualify for playoffs.

If they were allowed to opt out of districts, assuming they would be allowed, they wouldn't have a path to qualify for playoffs.
Those CPS conferences are already excluded from the playoffs. If this passes I think the top tier CPS will participate. If one of the lower tier team went 9-0 they would not go to the playoffs now if you look at the Chicago Public, Blue-Central Conference Standings no one played a full 9 game season. Most played less than 8 games. The CPS is exempt now. How to you make them play in District football. If you allow them to be exempt you don't have enough teams for 8 classes with 64 teams in the eight classes. Many of the charter schools in Chicago can be added to that list. I see the IHSA back to 6 classes in ten years with or without District football.

Those CPS conferences are already excluded from the playoffs. If this passes I think the top tier CPS will participate. If one of the lower tier team went 9-0 they would not go to the playoffs now if you look at the Chicago Public, Blue-Central Conference Standings no one played a full 9 game season. Most played less than 8 games. The CPS is exempt now. How to you make them play in District football. If you allow them to be exempt you don't have enough teams for 8 classes with 64 teams in the eight classes. Many of the charter schools in Chicago can be added to that list. I see the IHSA back to 6 classes in ten years with or without District football.

I wouldn't necessarily call it exempt. It's a CPS decision for those conferences to not go to the playoffs, not the IHSA.

I wouldn't necessarily call it exempt. It's a CPS decision for those conferences to not go to the playoffs, not the IHSA.
I don't think you can force them to play in District Football. If you did many of those teams would just forfeit an/or fold up. 15-20 kids is the max on several of those teams. It's a shame the Park District and The CPS can't/won't do something for these, kids but that another thread for another day.

I don't think you can force them to play in District Football. If you did many of those teams would just forfeit an/or fold up. 15-20 kids is the max on several of those teams. It's a shame the Park District and The CPS can't/won't do something for these, kids but that another thread for another day.
It's hilarious how there's so much concern for the CPS schools regarding the district talk, but come playoff time no one thinks they should be allowed to participate.

It's hilarious how there's so much concern for the CPS schools regarding the district talk, but come playoff time no one thinks they should be allowed to participate.
Dunbar 0-5, Gage park 3-5, Harlan 4-2 with one win from a forfeit, Tilden 0-6. And you want them to play district football?

For years the fire and police department unions have offered to form Athletic leagues and were rebuffed by the CPS and the city. I've had under one of my early commands at one time guys coached at Fenger, Leo, Hales (closed) De La Salle, Simeon, and Morgan Park. I had paramedics at Brother Rice and St. Rita as coaches. We used to have a big gym near navy pier and the police had one at 35 and Normal that were under utilized. The CTU fought us. Did you know the Firefighters and Police Officers both have semi pro football teams that travel around the country and play? And when we play the police department they empty out the prisons for a week....

Reactions: ignazio and Gene K.
Dunbar 0-5, Gage park 3-5, Harlan 4-2 with one win from a forfeit, Tilden 0-6. And you want them to play district football?

For years the fire and police department unions have offered to form Athletic leagues and were rebuffed by the CPS and the city. I've had under one of my early commands at one time guys coached at Fenger, Leo, Hales (closed) De La Salle, Simeon, and Morgan Park. I had paramedics at Brother Rice and St. Rita as coaches. We used to have a big gym near navy pier and the police had one at 35 and Normal that were under utilized. The CTU fought us. Did you know the Firefighters and Police Officers both have semi pro football teams that travel around the country and play? And when we play the police department they empty out the prisons for a week....
Sir, this is a Wendy's

I don't know if we're saying separate things. Any teams who are opted out of playoffs now may well be opted out of districts and thus out of playoffs still.

But any new teams who want to opt out of districts would then be opting out of playoffs too.

Question: If this does not pass are there any conferences or teams that are in trouble because they have done nothing to get ready for next year scheduling games?
All.... Most schools as a a rule schedule years out in advance. There are still problems though with getting non con games. A quick count on the Ihsa Open Dates list show just under 40 games needed for the 2024 season among numerous schools. That list varies often. Ratsy

Last edited:
Reactions: tomloner
I don't know if we're saying separate things. Any teams who are opted out of playoffs now may well be opted out of districts and thus out of playoffs still.

But any new teams who want to opt out of districts would then be opting out of playoffs too.
Yes but it's not many. IF the proposal passes I'm hearing from two CPS asst. coaches, who have full time jobs away from the CPS, that the better teams will play in the district format BUT the other teams will just play in several in-house conferences. There is no budget for transportation. Those teams don't have enough players to play outside of those conferences. And none of those teams play full schedules now. That setup is currently happening now. A lot of people have no idea how many teams are holding on by a thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snetsrak61

After what the mayor has announced regarding selective enrollment schools, nothing will surprise me.
Of course, they’ll all find an option for their own children, as the CTU head has done.

Reactions: Gene K.
ONCE AGAIN FOR THOSE THAT REFUSE TO LISTEN.........CPS Coaches committee does not want districts......last time we were caught unprepared and once we saw the breakdown of the Districts, we were firmly against it. We have had meetings and zoom calls this year already to inform our members to speak with their ADs and principals. The leadership committee has personally called all the principals in the city and have let Sports Administration that this happening and we don't want it. So stop with all the speculation about us, because this is one of the few times we have actually been united on.

There are still some teams with 3 or more open dates. Mostly central IL. They will fill their schedule, but likely against schools which are much smaller or bigger.

Over 100 votes, but it was still only 52% that voted against it.
Depends on how you want to manipulate the numbers. You would be accurate to say it your way and make it look fairly close.

It is also accurate to say that, among those who voted yay or nay, it failed 58.2 to 41.8 percent, which makes it sound not so close.

My assumption is that many of those who abstained were non football playing schools as an abstention would make little sense for a football playing school unless they truly saw the merits of each system as 50/50, which I assume is a fairly small constituency.

Depends on how you want to manipulate the numbers. You would be accurate to say it your way and make it look fairly close.

It is also accurate to say that, among those who voted yay or nay, it failed 58.2 to 41.8 percent, which makes it sound not so close.

My assumption is that many of those who abstained were non football playing schools as an abstention would make little sense for a football playing school unless they truly saw the merits of each system as 50/50, which I assume is a fairly small constituency.
To really vote on it on merit, as a non football school, is to just make a general statement about conference shuffling, as that could impact any other school and they'd want an opinion. I can understand why you'd vote yes then (even if I ultimately disagreed with the proposal (or lack thereof :confused: )

To really vote on it on merit, as a non football school, is to just make a general statement about conference shuffling, as that could impact any other school and they'd want an opinion. I can understand why you'd vote yes then (even if I ultimately disagreed with the proposal (or lack thereof :confused: )
Agreed. Although it is not ideal, I do understand why non football playing schools need a say in this, because it does certainly impact overall conference shuffling and affiliations.

Of the 76 who abstained though, I would be shocked if more than 5 or 10 of them were football playing schools. If you are a football playing school, you probably have an opinion on this either way.

If you don't, you must have an admin and coaching staff that are truly conflicted and see valid reasons for both scheduling models. I think there are some of those, but most come down leaning one way or the other.

Reactions: Snetsrak61
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT