ADVERTISEMENT

IHSA membership votes for Football District Schedule

I want to see how schools voted. I am guessing schools without football pushed the district thing to pass.

Here is the biggest issue I see for WWS is that the schools they may be grouped with won’t have full lower level football. They will want to play Fresh, Soph, JV & Varsity but I doing see it with the grouping that Soucie cane up with. I guess the AD will have to earn his money trying to find games.

I don't see this as a bad system necessarily. I am curious to see how accurate Soucie's projections (from the paper last summer) of the districts end up being.

Things I like:
Still a 32 team playoff bracket
Out of district games do not affect your standings in district so we might get teams really reaching for tough competition
Classes determined before season starts

Things I don't like or have questions about:
Possible travel (Soucie has Minooka in the same as Belleville and O'fallon, or Wilmo with Peoria Heights)
How will the playoffs be seeded? IE How will we rank 9-0 Wilmo against 9-0 Farmington against 9-0 Greenville?

Last edited:
Here is the biggest issue I see for WWS is that the schools they may be grouped with won’t have full lower level football. They will want to play Fresh, Soph, JV & Varsity but I doing see it with the grouping that Soucie cane up with. I guess the AD will have to earn his money trying to find games.
I read it as varsity only, so you could schedule whoever on lower levels.

324 in favor, 307 against, and 69 no opinion

At the start of this past season there were somewhere around 560 teams before all the CPL teams that dropped football after the season started. Were schools without football programs allowed to vote, or were co-op programs allowed more than one vote?

I'm generally in favor of districts for football, but it doesn't seem right that schools without football programs were allowed to influence a change such as this.

So basically St Rita, St Ignatius and Mt Carmel just joined the Chicago Public League.
If Steve Soucie’s district preview is correct MC, ND, and SR would play 5 CPS schools. All three would have 5 wins, but only the top two would qualify for the playoffs with games in week 1&2 not counting for playoff contention. Under the present format all three privates could/would qualify for the playoffs. This is not thought out well or maybe it was.

District 6 (8): Chicago (Hubbard), Chicago (Kelly), Chicago (Lincoln Park), Chicago (Mount Carmel), Chicago (Schurz), Chicago (St. Patrick), Chicago (St. Rita), Chicago (Von Steuben).

Until I see the Districts I don’t trust the IHSA. I could see placing 8 privates in a division and allow only two make the playoffs. I can imagine that if there is enough outcry to keep traditional rivals they could justify it.

How does everyone like the first two games not counting for squat? I like to hear how everyone feels about that.

If Steve Soucie’s district preview is correct MC, ND, and SR would play 5 CPS schools. All three would have 5 wins, but only the top two would qualify for the playoffs with games in week 1&2 not counting for playoff contention. Under the present format all three privates could/would qualify for the playoffs. This is not thought out well or maybe it was.

District 6 (8): Chicago (Hubbard), Chicago (Kelly), Chicago (Lincoln Park), Chicago (Mount Carmel), Chicago (Schurz), Chicago (St. Patrick), Chicago (St. Rita), Chicago (Von Steuben).

Until I see the Districts I don’t trust the IHSA. I could see placing 8 privates in a division and allow only two make the playoffs. I can imagine that if there is enough outcry to keep traditional rivals they could justify it.

How does everyone like the first two games not counting for squat? I like to hear how everyone feels about that.

I agree with this sentiment. Not sure if Souce had some inside info, but I can also see a Rita in the same district as Oak Lawn-Reavis-SL? I hope they release these potential districts soon, so all the arguments get out there and then make changes where needed.

Top 4 teams in each district make the playoffs, so all 3 would make it, most likely, and one of the CPS schools.

I could see the day where some city public schools don’t offer football,so you will go to a catholic Hs to play!If district mapping goes wrong teams like foreman,Schurz and other small football programs have to play Catholics Hs teams they will not take that beating for long. Kids won’t come out to play!!

Reactions: ejg64
I could see the day where some city public schools don’t offer football,so you will go to a catholic Hs to play!If district mapping goes wrong teams like foreman,Schurz and other small football programs have to play Catholics Hs teams they will not take that beating for long. Kids won’t come out to play!!
This could kill about 50% of the CPS in 5 years. Unless they opt to have several in-house divisions that do not play in the IHSA.

Top 4 teams in each district make the playoffs, so all 3 would make it, most likely, and one of the CPS schools.
I might be wrong. I've read a lot of downstate news papers. Everyone has their own take on this.

17 vote difference, and 631 votes were cast but there are only 523 playoff eligible schools. That means 108 non-playoff eligible schools voted on this. I would be interested in the breakdown of how football playing schools voted and non-football schools...did a bunch of CPS non-football and non-playoff schools vote for this? How did non football schools vote? I would find it troubling if all the non-football schools voted yes instead of no opinioning...

That said, I want to reintroduce our McNamara Fighting Irish friends with the Coalers and Panthers...And the Seneca Fighting Irish and Dwight Trojans to the Wildcats and Tigers...And suddenly the Westmont Sentinels are going to become annual playoff participants...

This could kill about 50% of the CPS in 5 years. Unless they opt to have several in-house divisions that do not play in the IHSA.
I agree I played for catholic and public in the city there is only handfuls of city public teams that can compete with any catholic school!This is bad for them.

Reactions: ejg64

Having the first two games not count is bullshit. But in one way this could work out if they do not overload a district with too many teams from the same conference.

But how many of these schools can field a freshmen, sophomore, and varsity teams.

Reactions: Gene K.
17 vote difference, and 631 votes were cast but there are only 523 playoff eligible schools. That means 108 non-playoff eligible schools voted on this. I would be interested in the breakdown of how football playing schools voted and non-football schools...did a bunch of CPS non-football and non-playoff schools vote for this? .

The contract for the vote counting was the same company they use in Cook County.

Having the first two games not count is bullshit. But in one way this could work out if they do not overload a district with too many teams from the same conference.

But how many of these schools can field a freshmen, sophomore, and varsity teams.
There will be no more sophmore teams only freshman JV and varsity!Especially with districts!Most Hs programs have not announced it yet.

I’d bet the Catholics pull out and form their own association.

This may be great for football but how will it help the other athletic and extracurriculars that rely on the IHSA? It’s tough to tell parents that are paying $10k a year “hey this move will hurt your kids activity, but the football team will benefit.”

I actually think you would have better luck by having the Public and Private schools in Will, Cook, Dupage, Lake, McHenry, Kendall and Kane County break off and from a North IL league.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin JCHS 81
Agree with Coach Badke's sentiment. Some of the CCL rivalries especially go back decades!! Cant wait for that Brother Rice v. Morton game or Nazareth v. Addison Trail. This is foolish.

Well visitor seating will not be a problem. How does Morton only win about 10 games in the last five years with 8200 students?

Am I missing something? Why is there concern about schools not matching up freshmen/soph/jv? Since the district will be both based on the size of the school AND location, isn't it going to be more likely that they are likely to have the same program layouts due to the same enrollment. I know there are exceptions where some programs have more participation, but, overall, that shouldn't be an issue. Or maybe I'm missing something.

What exactly is this trying to solve again?
Was it too many conference shake ups?
Or select private school success?
Playoff travel times?
Competitive first round playoff games?
Not enough teams qualifying for playoffs?

This is non-solution to an unarticulated issue.

I will be revisiting the power points classification method to highlight a better way forward.

ADVERTISEMENT