ADVERTISEMENT

IHSA membership votes for Football District Schedule

They better use google maps down to the tenth of a mile, otherwise the sh!t will hit the fan. I can’t see the Plainfield’s and Metro East schools being happy with the travel. Kiss goodbye to Friday night football with 4-5 hour travel times! Ant that’s with no accidents, construction zones or weather problems.

There was good reason the IHSA did not post a sample of what the divisions would look like. I still do not trust them.

Think about a good team stuck in a division with several superior teams. They go out and schedule two quality opponents for week one and two. They finish 5-4 but no playoff berth. Under the present system they would have more than enough playoff points. Maybe more than 7-2 teams in a weak division.

CPS may opt out with all of their non-competitive divisions.
Other ADs aren't concerned that schools in the SW burbs may have to travel to St. Louis 4x a year.

Does this impact how many games are played/teams qualify for playoffs?

Please tell me this entire mess isn’t simply a move to curve conference realignments.

Who gets to vote the AD's or the Principal’s? It should be the head football coaches. But I’ll guess they don’t want the neanderthals doing the voting.

Am I missing something? Why is there concern about schools not matching up freshmen/soph/jv? Since the district will be both based on the size of the school AND location, isn't it going to be more likely that they are likely to have the same program layouts due to the same enrollment. I know there are exceptions where some programs have more participation, but, overall, that shouldn't be an issue. Or maybe I'm missing something.

While this may only be an issue in a few districts, I believe a big problem has been created in the districts with significant travel times Like the SW Suburbs and St Louis Metro District.

Are the SW Suburbs gonna want to send 2+ buses 4-5 hours south for a Freshman or Sophomore Football game? Same with the St Loius area teams sending a Freshman or Sophomore Football Team North.

If you schedule the way it has traditionally been done (Soph/Varsity on Friday and Freshman at Opposite school on Saturday/Thursday/Monday) then almost each week the schools will be sending buses of kids 4-5 hours.

As someone said earlier - Good-Bye to Friday Night Lights in this District. Gonna have to play those games on Saturday.

Reactions: Gene K.
Blow it up. Time to leave the IHSA. Catholic Schools, any other privates and publics that would like to come along.

They hate everything north of I-80, let them see how legitimate their titles are when 1/4 of the teams opt out. They tried the multiplier to put the screws to the traditional powers, but this crosses the line. To hell with them.

What is the true benefit around this? I can't wrap my head around the logic.

In my opinion it is a reflection of School Administrators being sick of the yearly conference re-alignments. Not just in the Suburbs but in many downstate conferences as well. As we all know, there has been numerous conferences over the last 10 years that have broken up strictly because of football. Plenty of other sports are being affected by these conference shifts. Each time there is a conference shift there is a lot of background Administrative work that must be down to find willing schools, create by-laws, and develop schedule matrix's.

After you eliminate football from the conference matrix, I believe a lot of administrators feel that the conference reshuffling will cease. This will in theory allow the rest of the sports to get back to a stable conference environment.

So who will some if the smaller Catholic schools in the suburbs play? IC (320 students), St. Viator (850 students). There can't be many local schools around with similar enrollments.

What is the true benefit around this? I can't wrap my head around the logic.
Computers can do all the work to create a Utopia after the dataset is fed into it, some administrations got to “stick it” to others that they were mad at or jealous of and ADs have less work to do on scheduling.

Story as old as when the food supply became sustainable and the first bureaucrat was born: freedom has to be controlled to achieve unattainable utopian models, legislating by envy and the continuing dilution of the definition of hard work.

I respect ADs and know scheduling hasn’t been easy during the ‘great conference migration’ for the last decade or so. But some saw it as a noble duty while others saw it as a pain.

I can think of no other reasons or benefits for the ‘yes’ vote that was nearly 50/50.

In Texas the public and private are separate so private’s aren’t impacting anything.

Here is a link to Argyle HS’s district in 2018 and after that a link to their district in 2017. They redistrict every 2 years this was year one in the new cycle. Only ONE opponent (Sanger) is in both.

2018:
http://www.maxpreps.com/m/league/de...aa1&ssid=c3d47049-daf2-47e3-8a8e-1e4552d8a797

2017:
http://www.maxpreps.com/m/league/de...ed7&ssid=d7de9baf-87f8-4a16-bf62-ff51dcb7b9d5

Texas places the top 2 enrollments of the four qualifiers per district in D1. The other two in D2 in each class. Problem with that is some districts have a school of 3000 end up in 6a D2 and others have a school of 2100 end up in 6a D1

Texas places the top 2 enrollments of the four qualifiers per district in D1. The other two in D2 in each class. Problem with that is some districts have a school of 3000 end up in 6a D2 and others have a school of 2100 end up in 6a D1

The break into D1 and d2 doesn’t happen until the playoffs and has nothing to do with districting. The point of my reply was the amount of change that can occur in a distric from cycle to cycle since you claimed public’s would have little change. The private’s mixed in will only add to the changes from cycle to cycle for public’s. And i didn’t hunt for a district in Texas with a lot of change. Argyle was the first one I looked at since I’m familiar with them.

District 3 (9): Chicago (Clemente), Chicago (Marine), Chicago (North Lawndale Charter), Chicago (Raby), Chicago (Sullivan), Chicago (Urban Prep/Bronzeville), Elgin (St. Edward), Elmhurst (IC Catholic), West Chicago (Wheaton Academy)

Woof.

Well seeing as how it’s likely 2 of those private’s wont have a multiplier any more.... this projection is as worthless as the next. People need to stop forming opinions based off of projections which are probably as accurate as.... well I don’t know what.

So how long into district football before people descend on IHSA in Bloomington Il. with torches and pitchforks? I wonder how many programs that voted for this will have buyers remorse when they find out their team does not does not make the playoffs.

Well seeing as how it’s likely 2 of those private’s wont have a multiplier any more.... this projection is as worthless as the next. People need to stop forming opinions based off of projections which are probably as accurate as.... well I don’t know what.
Yea, but even if you bump up IC a class they probably still run into this issue of all the closest comparable schools being CPS schools that can't compete.

There has to be some way to let teams self sort a little.

Reactions: IgorStL
It was called “conferences” i believe lol
That's the worst part of this district setup. While scheduling has been tough for some schools, and conference shuffling has been an issue, schools had greater ability to chose their own destiny. Now? Regular season scheduling (with the exception of Weeks 1 & 2) is in the hands of the good ol' IHSA. What happens if a school doesn't like their district? While it's true that districts can fluctuate every two years, the simple fact is schools have lost some of their freedom to chose their own path/destiny via changing conferences. Not a good development, IMO.

The only way to make the IHSA see the how bad this is, is to have the ridiculously better programs in some of the districts absolutely demolish the lesser competition. If a MC or SR puts up a 100 burger on a CPS team in their district, then, maybe, they'll see how stupid this is.

Blow it up. Time to leave the IHSA. Catholic Schools, any other privates and publics that would like to come along.

They hate everything north of I-80, let them see how legitimate their titles are when 1/4 of the teams opt out. They tried the multiplier to put the screws to the traditional powers, but this crosses the line. To hell with them.
All options on the table for me. How would it be done do you think? Season length? Spring Football? Just have a CCL Playoff at end?

Reactions: IgorStL
That's the worst part of this district setup. While scheduling has been tough for some schools, and conference shuffling has been an issue, schools had greater ability to chose their own destiny. Now? Regular season scheduling (with the exception of Weeks 1 & 2) is in the hands of the good ol' IHSA. What happens if a school doesn't like their district? While it's true that districts can fluctuate every two years, the simple fact is schools have lost some of their freedom to chose their own path/destiny via changing conferences. Not a good development, IMO.

What happens if you don’t like your district.... that’s why they needed districts! Why should you need to or get to “like” your district? And choose your own destiny??? Again, that sounds like a person who is okay with a 7a school playing st joes and Leo and 2 cps in non-conference and one other win to make the 7a playoffs! How is that okay while a team in a conference of equals is left out of the playoffs? If you are 6a and can’t make the playoffs playing 6a peers you don’t deserve to be in the 6a playoffs! I have found only 2 valid reasons to be against districts: the fan who loves some traditions of their confernce and wants to keep that (fine I can live with that) and the other is the one who knows their team is a “pretender” and gets in the playoffs every year by playing smaller or lesser opponents and is scared that they will be exposed when playing peers in district. (Not okay with that)

What happens if you don’t like your district.... that’s why they needed districts! Why should you need to or get to “like” your district? And choose your own destiny??? Again, that sounds like a person who is okay with a 7a school playing st joes and Leo and 2 cps in non-conference and one other win to make the 7a playoffs! How is that okay while a team in a conference of equals is left out of the playoffs? If you are 6a and can’t make the playoffs playing 6a peers you don’t deserve to be in the 6a playoffs! I have found only 2 valid reasons to be against districts: the fan who loves some traditions of their confernce and wants to keep that (fine I can live with that) and the other is the one who knows their team is a “pretender” and gets in the playoffs every year by playing smaller or lesser opponents and is scared that they will be exposed when playing peers in district. (Not okay with that)

Totally agree.
Those worried about rivalries can schedule them for weeks 1 and 2.
Responding Question: "But they don't count, so why would we risk injuries or anything negative to play a game that doesn't count for playoffs?"
Answer: Then it isn't a rivalry.

Leo, St Joes and those CPS schools have the choice to play whomever they like. Montini calls Hyde Park and asks if they want to play. Hyde Park has the option to say no, but CHOOSES to say yes. (Just for example). Now sticking with the Montini example, Juarez/ Little Villiage/ Phoenix Millitary are now stuck in district with a perennial state title contender. Nobody wants to see that.

(Based off of Soucies original article for reference)

Leo, St Joes and those CPS schools have the choice to play whomever they like. Montini calls Hyde Park and asks if they want to play. Hyde Park has the option to say no, but CHOOSES to say yes. (Just for example). Now sticking with the Montini example, Juarez/ Little Villiage/ Phoenix Millitary are now stuck in district with a perennial state title contender. Nobody wants to see that.

(Based off of Soucies original article for reference)

My concern is not if the Leo’s and st joes and cps schools knowingly take a game they will lose (and they don’t have control if it’s an assigned conference game.... does Leo have an option to not play Naz next year?) my concern is the team beating them gets to count those wins to make the playoffs in their class which is wildly larger than the teams they are beating to make the playoffs. Nazareth beating Leo shouldn’t help qualify Nazareth for the 7a playoffs... that’s the point. If there is someone you really want to play outside your class schedule them week 1 and 2.

My concern is not if the Leo’s and st joes and cps schools knowingly take a game they will lose (and they don’t have control if it’s an assigned conference game.... does Leo have an option to not play Naz next year?) my concern is the team beating them gets to count those wins to make the playoffs in their class which is wildly larger than the teams they are beating to make the playoffs. Nazareth beating Leo shouldn’t help qualify Nazareth for the 7a playoffs... that’s the point. If there is someone you really want to play outside your class schedule them week 1 and 2.

So any time you're notably better then a team in your conference it shouldn't count? Sure makes total sense. (A conference, again, that you agreed to be in.)

Nazareth running clocked JCA in the regular season, and JCA went on to win the 5a state title. That shouldn't count?

So any time you're notably better then a team in your conference it shouldn't count? Sure makes total sense. (A conference, again, that you agreed to be in.)

Better....? When did I make that argument... follow along.... smaller! An 8a team shouldn’t count a 5a win to make the 8a playoffs. If you disagree with that we’re never going to agree. If that 5a team is elite and a rival and you like playing them, schedule them as a non-district game.

Better....? When did I make that argument... follow along.... smaller! An 8a team shouldn’t count a 5a win to make the 8a playoffs. If you disagree with that we’re never going to agree. If that 5a team is elite and a rival and you like playing them, schedule them as a non-district game.

So keeping with the JCA v. Naz example as I am trying my best to follow along, you're saying Nazareth putting a running clock on the 5a state champions shouldn't count because Joliet Catholic is smaller?

The people that seem to be complaining the most are private school supprorters. If that’s due to tradition, like I said earlier, fine. But private conferences are also the ones with huge enrollment disparities. The 3a’s in the conference get beat up and help the bigger schools qualify while they go 3-6 and don’t qualify. The public conferences tend to be much more even in terms of enrollment so this won’t effect them nearly as much. This also helps the smaller private’s who get beat by big private’s. So the only people losing out and seem to be complaining the loudest are the big private’s who are losing the chance to pile up a few easy wins against their usual punching bags.

The people that seem to be complaining the most are private school supprorters. If that’s due to tradition, like I said earlier, fine. But private conferences are also the ones with huge enrollment disparities. The 3a’s in the conference get beat up and help the bigger schools qualify while they go 3-6 and don’t qualify. The public conferences tend to be much more even in terms of enrollment so this won’t effect them nearly as much. This also helps the smaller private’s who get beat by big private’s. So the only people losing out and seem to be complaining the loudest are the big private’s who are losing the chance to pile up a few easy wins against their usual punching bags.

As a private supporter I dont want to see Nazareth vs. Argo, Addison Trail, and Reavis. And do those schools want to play Nazareth every year without a choice?

Reactions: IgorStL and Gene K.

To clarify, again, trying to follow along, Naz's enrollment is 760 and JCA is 700. Naz played in 7a because they were multiplied up due to being really good. So they're not bigger (by much), but better.

This is besides the point. I'm not here to argue Naz vs. JCA. I'm saying public schools should have the choice of who and where they want to play, as should private schools.

To clarify, again, trying to follow along, Naz's enrollment is 760 and JCA is 700. Naz played in 7a because they were multiplied up due to being really good. So they're not bigger, but better.

That’s an anomaly due to the success factor. But as long as you are qualifying for the 7a playoffs you should be playing 7a teams. When I say size I’m referring to classification not raw number.

That’s an anomaly due to the success factor. But as long as you are qualifying for the 7a playoffs you should be playing 7a teams. When I say size I’m referring to classification not raw number.

Size is raw number. Can't have your cake and eat it too. When the raw numbers are that close, they're that close. So it should count, unless the other team is really really good, then it shouldn't count?

ADVERTISEMENT