ADVERTISEMENT

Soucie Districts

I really like that the article repeatedly mentions the "let's vote for this, then figure out how it works" nature of the proposal.

7A district 8 - Moline to Belleview about 520 mile round trip!

This is why if this passes it will be rescinded after the districts are posted by a motion to reconsider just like last time.

Plainfield South to Belleview East 526 miles round trip.

I see a HUGE problem if they start to make accommodations for some teams because of travel. That would keep the Metro East Conference mostly intact. If another conference wishes to stay mostly intact and is denied I see big problems for the IHSA.

Last edited:

This is why if this passes it will be rescinded after the districts are posted by a motion to reconsider just like last time.
Districts were never posted last time.

Districts were never posted last time.
Sample ones were not official ones and it led to the motion to reconsider. That motion was by a public school members. There are already people lined up to do that motion again from the public side of this. The privates will let them take the lead on this.

In 8a district 8 Lockport to Belleville East is 550 miles round trip. In district 7 LWE may not lose a game in our lifetime.

They would beat Brooks, They have a half way decent program now, if they can could get a player or 2 from Marist or Br. Rice they could win or at least compete.
I really doubt that. Neither team had a win against a team with more than 3 wins, but Brooks is up in the red playing Simeon, MP, Taft, Shepard. Ag Science much weaker schedule.

Not doubting their trajectory, but 3 wins in a CPS white conference is not my definition of halfway decent.

Plainfield South to Belleview East 526 miles round trip.

I see a HUGE problem if they start to make accommodations for some teams because of travel. That would keep the Metro East Conference mostly intact. If another conference wishes to stay mostly intact and is denied I see big problems for the IHSA.
In 8a district 8 Lockport to Belleville East is 550 miles round trip. In district 7 LWE may not lose a game in our lifetime.
Can I see the climate impact study on this? Which school has to buy the energy credits? Friday night games gone in these Districts?

Last edited:
For my Naz homies:

Naz, St Francis, Glenbard South and 5 CPS Noble charter schools is Soucies projection.

Carmel St Viator St Pats in a somewhat interesting 5A district (along with DePaul). Heavy lifting on somewhat, but circumstances and all...

I really doubt that. Neither team had a win against a team with more than 3 wins, but Brooks is up in the red playing Simeon, MP, Taft, Shepard. Ag Science much weaker schedule.

Not doubting their trajectory, but 3 wins in a CPS white conference is not my definition of halfway decent.
Yea it will be tough

I still don't really understand what the districts do but I do think it gives a better playoff picture.

Why would the state not want Rita and MC in the same district?

I wonder if this will push CPS to move teams out of the IHSA playoffs for football and into an internal Prep Bowl thing.

Can I see the climate impact study on this? Which school has to by the energy credits? Friday night games gone in these Districts?
How much worse is it than say Joliet Catholic going to Carmel of Mundelein on a Tuesday or Thursday night to play basketball. At least with football, no school the next day. Could do Saturday games in consideration of the travel. IMO, there are going to have to be many other issues with mid-size and small schools before this fails. Not many, except for those who are adamantly opposed to districts or are directly affected, care about 7a or 8a schools having to travel.

Reactions: isubluedevil
How much worse is it than say Joliet Catholic going to Carmel of Mundelein on a Tuesday or Thursday night to play basketball. At least with football, no school the next day. Could do Saturday games in consideration of the travel. IMO, there are going to have to be many other issues with mid-size and small schools before this fails. Not many, except for those who are adamantly opposed to districts or are directly affected, care about 7a or 8a schools having to travel.
The difference of course is Carmel and JCA agreeing to that arrangement and being free to seek alternative conference homes or go independent. Any team with unfavorable travel times in districts will have the options to 1) suck it up and 2) take it (or cancel football or leave ihsa which aren't much of a choice)

All... I don't subscribe but was able to run down who the Souce had in the district SHG would play. Ratsy

Lanphier
Eisenhower
Jerseyville
Mattoon
Lincoln
Jacksonville
MacArthur

Maybe see if the CFP ranking committee can now work to help IHSA districting. After giving us 13-0 FSU on the outside looking in and Oregon vs. Liberty as one of the New Year's Six games, they have plenty of time on their hands for the next few weeks.

Remember, there are not the actual districts, just what Soucie thinks they might be. Not knowing your district before the vote tells me that the IHSA doesn't want this to pass or else they would come up with the districts before the vote.

On a side note, Mahomet-Seymour, who proposed this district system is placed in a district with East Peoria, Limestone, Metamora, Morris, Morton, Streator, and Urbana. Once they see Morton, Morris, and Metamora they may prefer the Apollo conference schedule they currently have.

Maybe see if the CFP ranking committee can now work to help IHSA districting. After giving us 13-0 FSU on the outside looking in and Oregon vs. Liberty as one of the New Year's Six games, they have plenty of time on their hands for the next few weeks.
Liberty is there because there is an agreement that the top group of 5 conference team gets a NY6 game.

Reactions: johnndoe
Remember, there are not the actual districts, just what Soucie thinks they might be. Not knowing your district before the vote tells me that the IHSA doesn't want this to pass or else they would come up with the districts before the vote.

On a side note, Mahomet-Seymour, who proposed this district system is placed in a district with East Peoria, Limestone, Metamora, Morris, Morton, Streator, and Urbana. Once they see Morton, Morris, and Metamora they may prefer the Apollo conference schedule they currently have.
They didn't release the districts last time and it passed. In Soucie's article it mentions why the IHSA can't provide districts in advance...

"The IHSA doesn’t plan to submit any kind of projection for what the system might look like, according to Knox, and has not done internal preparations for what the system would be if it does pass. This is largely due to unknown variables such as program participation, possible adjustments to schools’ cooperative enrollments and defections to the 8-man ranks.

“A rough draft isn’t something we’ll do, because it could probably end up being like 75 percent accurate. There’s a lot of questions that we don’t have answers to right now,” Knox said.

“If the voting membership decides that this is what they want, we will come up with a system based on what the proposal outlines. If this passes, and if it does it will be right around Christmas time, and if people want answers immediately, it needs to be understood it is going to take us awhile to let the dust settle and figure out where we are going.”

I still don't really understand what the districts do but I do think it gives a better playoff picture.

Why would the state not want Rita and MC in the same district?

I wonder if this will push CPS to move teams out of the IHSA playoffs for football and into an internal Prep Bowl thing.
Pretty sure most CPS teams would be in favor of districts. Contrary to the opinion of many, CPS teams want to compete with the rest of the state. If there is opposition from CPS, my bet would be it would be because there would be a whole bunch of people trying to justify their jobs in CPS Sports Admin.

Last edited:
Liberty is there because there is an agreement that the top group of 5 conference team gets a NY6 game.
This I know, but notwithstanding, this will likely be the least-viewed for a NY6 game by a longshot. I would like to see the final list of OR players who end up opting out of playing in this one, beyond the assumed, QB Bo Nix.

Reactions: Snetsrak61
This I know, but notwithstanding, this will likely be the least-viewed for a NY6 game by a longshot. I would like to see the final list of OR players who end up opting out of playing in this one, beyond the assumed, QB Bo Nix.
Nix already said he was playing, but I get your point. This applies to most bowl games these days unfortunately. Between players opting out, entering the transfer portal, and coaches leaving it can be like a completely different team.

Reactions: johnndoe
I have zero complaints about players opting out of bowls. I'm sure a lot of bowls are still mildly money making endeavors and will limp on because it's still better TV programming than some syndicated re-run.

If the big NY6 bowls want to be a bigger draw, it seems obvious what the solution is. Players have to be financially incentivized.

Tell me again why this is being proposed?
The short of it is, to make life easier on AD's. Depending on the current conference a team is in it can be very difficult to complete a 9 game schedule or teams want out of closed conferences. Or there are areas of teams that can't keep conferences in place and they merge, disband, new conferences created, etc. A team like QND had to play an independent schedule this year and ended up having to play more teams from Iowa than Illinois. For my team, Morris, they have been in 6-7 conferences in the last 20-25 years with teams as far away as Riverside-Brookfield and Fenton

The difference of course is Carmel and JCA agreeing to that arrangement and being free to seek alternative conference homes or go independent. Any team with unfavorable travel times in districts will have the options to 1) suck it up and 2) take it (or cancel football or leave ihsa which aren't much of a choice)
Not sure how free Carmel and JCA are to just move conferences or go independent. I think they have as much choice as everyone else will if districts pass.

The mock district that Wilmington is in is straight up awful

Wilmo
Peotone
Herscher
Carver
Julian
Noble/Hansberry
Noble/Johnson
CICS-Longwood

Reactions: cigaros
I sure the other 6 teams (Argo, Oak Lawn, Kenwood, Whitney Young, Lincoln Park and especially Reavis) are all orgasmic about it too.
Years ago Reavis would play nose to nose with the top teams. Now? No. And poor Argo too!!!! And Joliet Central may lose well over 100 games in a row unless they can play a beatable CPS team

Reactions: cigaros
Pretty sure most CPS teams would be in favor of districts. Contrary to the opinion of many, CPS teams want to compete with the rest of the state. If there is opposition from CPS, my bet would be it would be because there would be a whole bunch of people trying to justify their jobs in CPS Sports Admin.
Disagree with this. The number of CPS in the playoffs will plummet. The winning % of CPS overall would plummet. I can't imagine many CPS schools being in favor if this.

Look at the district with JCA mentioned above. You think Brooks and Ag Science want that conference?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT