ADVERTISEMENT

IHSA - District Proposal - Official Language

DJrodey24

Nov 3, 2003
2023-2024 Proposal 18 – 5.070 Boys Football
New By-law 5.074 District Football Proposal Regular Season and Playoffs
Submitted By: Matt Hensley, Official Representative – Mahomet (M.-Seymour) on behalf of the Apollo Conference, Big Twelve Conference, DuPage Valley Conference, and Interstate 8 Conference

Summary of Proposed Changes:
Football Districts to be formed by geography and classification. 8 districts in each class with 8 schools in each district. District games in weeks 3 – 9 of the regular season. Top 4 schools in each district qualify for the IHSA Play-offs. Seeding procedures will be similar to current seeding procedures. Teams from the same district cannot play in the first round.

Rationale of Submitters:
A. Conference Stability
I. In the last fifteen years, 20+ conferences have changed alignment due to departures or additions.
II. In the last five years, 4 new conferences have been formed.
B. Eliminate creative scheduling to get the magic 5th win
I. Schedules are set by the state
C. Give some type of system that the public understands
I. The public can see the standings to see where their team is in the standing
1. Similar to how they follow their favorite pro teams
II. Can keep running total of the tiebreakers with the records
D. Teams earning playoff bids versus like schools
I. Every year there are teams that earn playoff berths on the backs of schools that are significantly smaller.
II. The same can be said in reverse, some schools do not make the playoffs due to playing schools significantly larger.

Pros:

Cons:

Text of By-law with Proposed Changes
New By-law 5.074 - District Football Proposal Regular Season and Playoffs
I. CREATING A NEW BY-LAW TO GOVERN IHSA FOOTBALL

a. This proposal is creating a system for how the IHSA runs football.
i. Establishes regions of eight (8) schools to determine the teams that will make the IHSA Playoffs.
ii. This proposal will direct the IHSA Board of Directors to start district football in 2024.

II. ESTABLISHING EIGHT (8) CLASSIFICATIONS – (1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, 5A, 6A, 7A, 8A)
a. Enrollment
i. Each school will use their IHSA Enrollment during the cycle for class placement.
ii. The multiplier will then be enforced to the schools that have met the criteria.
iii. The Success Factor by-law will also be applied.
iv. A list will be formed from the greatest number to the smallest number.
b. Placing Schools in a Classification
i. The IHSA will divide the state into eight (8) classifications.
ii. The number of districts in each classification will be 8.
c. Moving Up in Classification
i. Any school interested in playing up a classification needs to notify the IHSA by Monday of Week 28.

III. ESTABLISHING REGIONS WITHIN THE EIGHT (8) CLASSIFICATIONS
a. The IHSA will set the districts in all classifications.
b. The districts will be set by geography.
c. Three districts will be announced by the Monday of Week 31.
d. Each district will be labeled by their classification and a number.
i. Example – 8A-District 1

IV. ESTABLISHING SCHEDULES
a. District Schedules
i. Each school will play seven (7) district games.
ii. All district games will be played Week 3-9 of the regular season.
b. Non-District Games
i. All schools will be allowed to play two (2) non region games.
c. Levels of Play
i. Schools will be playing all levels that schools offer.
1. The preference would be to play one game before the varsity game.
2. Other levels could be played on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or Monday.
3. If a school has a level and their opponent does not, they are free to seek another school to play for
that specific week.
d. Game Times, Dates, Locations
i. Schools must mutually agree upon dates and times by the Monday of Week 1 of the IHSA calendar.
ii. Schools need to be flexible for conditions that may necessitate dates of specific games. (Examples –
Religious Holidays, Homecoming Traditions, Community Events, Travel, Stadium Availability)

V. ESTABLISHING PLAYOFF TEAMS
a. The top 4 (four) schools in each district will make the IHSA Football Playoffs.
b. If two schools are tied for a place, the following criteria will break the tie:
i. Head to Head Competition
c. If 3 (three) or more schools are tied for a place, the following criteria will break the tie:
i. Head to Head Competition
ii. Total Point Differential for all games within the District
iii. Total Point Differential for all games won within the District
iv. Total Point Differential for all games lost within the District
v. Schools will be eliminated from the tiebreakers, when one position is determined, we will then return to
the appropriate criteria for any remaining schools
d. Point Differential
i. A maximum of +/-10 can be earned for point differential in a single game
1. If Team A defeats Team B, 28-14, Team A has a +10 point differential, while Team B has a -10
point differential
2. This number is set so that there is no need to ‘run up’ the score during a game.
ii. If a game goes to overtime, the winning team will have a +1 point differential, with the losing team having
a -1 point differential, regardless of the final score

VI. BRACKETING THE IHSA PLAYOFFS
a. Seeding will be determined by the number of wins a school has earned and their playoff points.
i. All schools with nine (9) wins will be seeded.
1. Tiebreakers
a. Total Playoff Points=one (1) point for every opponent win in all nine (9) games.
b. Playoff Points in all Wins=one (1) point for every opponent win in games in which your
school won.
c. Playoff Points in all Losses=one (1) point for every opponent win in games in which your
school lost.
ii. This procedure will continue to the schools with eight (8) wins; then schools with seven (7) wins; then
schools with six (6) wins; then the schools with five (5) wins; then schools with four (4) wins; this will
continue until all seeds are filled.
b. Teams from the same district cannot play in the first round of the IHSA Playoffs
i. If a match up occurs, the lower seeded team will move down one seed, to avoid this conflict.

VII. HOME SITES FOR THE IHSA PLAYOFFS
a. In the first round, the better seed will host the game.
b. In the second round through the semi-finals, the host will be the school that has hosted the least number of games.
i. If the number of games hosted is equal, the better seed will host the game.

VIII. OFFICIATING
a. For all District games, the host school is responsible for the hiring of the officials.
i. It is recommended that the host school’s conference assignor be used.
b. The host school is responsible for the payment of officials at all levels.
c. The IHSA will assign and pay for all playoff games.

Appendix A – Regular Season Schedule
Week 3
A at B
C at H
D at G
F at E
Week 4
B at F
E at D
G at C
H at A
Week 5
C at E
D at B
F at A
G at H
Week 6
A at D
B at C
E at G
H at F
Week 7
C at A
D at F
E at H
G at B
Week 8
A at G
B at E
D at H
F at C
Week 9
C at D
E at A
G at F
H at B

Reactions: guerinfbfan
I personally like the District idea however I feel doing 8 classes with 8 divisions will spread out the geography too much and water down a lot of districts. I prefer what I suggested a few weeks ago.

4 Classes with 16 Districts per class. Top 4 from each district qualify for the playoffs however they are then divided by enrollment with largest 32 in AA and the remaining 32 in A.

1A & 1AA
2A & 2AA
3A & 3AA
4A & 4AA

The IHSA already has a grasp on Districts with this layout using their Sectional formats from other sports.

One thing that will need to be taken into consideration is the 8 teams per District is really not feasible. There will have to be some flexibility with that in that some may have 9, 8 or 7 depending on geography and actual amount of teams playing football.

Without knowing what teams are in every District it be be hard to approve it. Knowing what teams are in District could also be the death nail for the proposal or you say "we have to pass it to see what is in it."

If you look at section VIII they still want you to have conferences to schedule the officials. If this passes the IHSA is the "Conference!"

Last edited:
Guys, this is going to pass. One reason it was pulled before was because the first two games (non-con) didn't count. I'm doubtful that they'd come back with the same exact proposal. So for the Batavia-Geneva rivalry for example ... they'll play Week 1 or 2 and will unlikely be in the same district.

After two years, they'll redo the district alignments, just as they do enrollment classifications. Can't do 7, can't do 9. It'll be 8 teams (7 weeks), they'll make it work. Otherwise it's unbalanced and unfair.

They'll never contract classes, that kills opportunity for member schools. Remember, it's a member-run organization.

Is the IHSA or Grand Puba of CPS going to let all CPS teams have a shot at the playoffs? The way described sounds similar as to how they do it here in TN

Guys, this is going to pass. One reason it was pulled before was because the first two games (non-con) didn't count. I'm doubtful that they'd come back with the same exact proposal. So for the Batavia-Geneva rivalry for example ... they'll play Week 1 or 2 and will unlikely be in the same district.

After two years, they'll redo the district alignments, just as they do enrollment classifications. Can't do 7, can't do 9. It'll be 8 teams (7 weeks), they'll make it work. Otherwise it's unbalanced and unfair.

They'll never contract classes, that kills opportunity for member schools. Remember, it's a member-run organization.
So how do you align the larger school districts? Who gets the screws put to them and has to travel down to Edwardsville and vice versa because there aren't enough big schools in the south to form their own district?

How unbalanced are the Chicago districts going to be? Will a team like MC be in a district with CPS schools?

Batavia/Geneva is a great rivalry and part of the main reason is due to the closeness of the two schools, so if they are so close geographically why would they not be likely to be in the same district?

"They'll make it work" I cannot think of more terrifying words coming from the IHSA.

So how do you align the larger school districts? Who gets the screws put to them and has to travel down to Edwardsville and vice versa because there aren't enough big schools in the south to form their own district?

How unbalanced are the Chicago districts going to be? Will a team like MC be in a district with CPS schools?

"They'll make it work" I cannot think of more terrifying words coming from the IHSA.
MC would get from the CPS:

Juarez
Kelly
Lincoln Park
Proviso East
Schurz
Von Steuben
Whitney Young

Reactions: Anomalyout28
MC would get from the CPS:

Juarez
Kelly
Lincoln Park
Proviso East
Schurz
Von Steuben
Whitney Young
Are you getting that from what was posted here in the past? If so, that wasn't drawn up by the IHSA so that is only speculation.

Is the IHSA or Grand Puba of CPS going to let all CPS teams have a shot at the playoffs? The way described sounds similar as to how they do it here in TN
IHSA has nothing to do with that. The CPS decides on their own qualifications standards that are above and beyond the IHSA.

If this is going to pass, then those schools that vote to pass it will do so with an openly "sucks to be you" attitude toward the 8A schools in the Metro East and the far SW suburban Chicago areas. For an association that is so hell bent on equity, this move would create tremendous inequities for the 8A schools and student athletes from those areas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quags57
I'm far from an expert, but looking at 5A:
The fact that 4 teams from both North B and C would make the playoffs, and only 4 from South C have a chance to make it, already has me voting no, if I had a vote

The creators of this proposal, by not offering a sample of what their proposed districts would look like, remind me of...

R.bb9b711778b68c3593030c12b787fa88

Last edited:
Anyone know Coach Percy? The CPS could kill this by themselves if the would just vote. Why would volunteer to be MC's wiping boy?

Let's chip in and send participation trophies the proposers of this and an extra large one to Antioch AD. When your schedule toughness is over 300 you have to be realistic.

I'm far from an expert, but looking at 5A:
The fact that 4 teams from both North B and C would make the playoffs, and only 4 from South C have a chance to make it, already has me voting no, if I had a vote
That brings up an interesting point. If they go to districts would CPS make all of their schools eligible for the playoffs?

If a district contains CPS schools that have been deemed not eligible for the playoffs do the other districts get additional teams into the playoffs? If so, how is it determined whic districts get the extra teams in?

Question what about all the contracts for games between other schools, venues, vendors, and transportation companies? Can the IHSA void all of them.

What would be the penalty if all of MC's opponents all just forfeited their game with MC?

• Wow
Reactions: crusader_of_90
Anyone else see the twat AD from Antioch continue to post?
Don’t give the coach a pass. ADs do not run the twitter accounts of all their school sports. Multiple people have the passwords to post scores in a timely manor. Based on his past remarks I think this is the head coach crying on the tweeter machine

Reactions: crusader_of_90
I realize the regions linked above are not current/final, but regardless this is going to lead to some ASTRONOMICAL blowouts and mismatches in the Chicagoland area.

Question what about all the contracts for games between other schools, venues, vendors, and transportation companies? Can the IHSA void all of them.
Fire guy, right? Familiar with the Lisle-Woodridge v ADT federal trial when LWFPD declared all commerical alarm contracts null and void and you had to contract with the city?
Judge Shadur slapped them down with commerce clause rules about contracts, among other things. The way to get around it is that you have to wait for the contract to expire with no evergreen/autorenewals.

What if the conferences set up contracts for 15-20 years going forward to play?

Reactions: chiliconcarne2
Fire guy, right? Familiar with the Lisle-Woodridge v ADT federal trial when LWFPD declared all commerical alarm contracts null and void and you had to contract with the city?
Judge Shadur slapped them down with commerce clause rules about contracts, among other things. The way to get around it is that you have to wait for the contract to expire with no evergreen/autorenewals.

What if the conferences set up contracts for 15-20 years going forward to play?
Was only thinking of 24/25 season only.

That's when ESL should go full St. Francis for football and play exclusively a national schedule with no restrictions to pull in ALL of the top talent in the STL area.
In this scenario, would ESL remain part of the IHSA? Can a school choose to be a part of the IHSA in some sports, but not others?

Don’t give the coach a pass. ADs do not run the twitter accounts of all their school sports. Multiple people have the passwords to post scores in a timely manor. Based on his past remarks I think this is the head coach crying on the tweeter machine
I'm missing it.......all I see it the data. What's he proposing?

The IHSA members should not make decisions based on the inconveniences of about a dozen schools. If the proposal has benefits that the large majority of member schools can have, then why should they care if MC plays CPS schools or if E-ville has to travel hours for half their away games. Schools should vote on this issue in their view only. Not vote based on what other schools may or may not have to deal with.

The IHSA members should not make decisions based on the inconveniences of about a dozen schools. If the proposal has benefits that the large majority of member schools can have, then why should they care if MC plays CPS schools or if E-ville has to travel hours for half their away games. Schools should vote on this issue in their view only. Not vote based on what other schools may or may not have to deal with.
You're not totally wrong, but I recall someone pointing out before that non football member schools provided the likely majority edge in the last district vote. Now maybe some of those schools felt spurned by conference shuffling which affected other sports they do participate in, but I'm not sure how prevelant that was the case and the motivation for schools voting in their own interest vs... Something else?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT