ADVERTISEMENT

St. Rita @ Sterling

SW,

Rita is hot, they have one of the state's best backs, they are used to playing in one of the toughest divisions in the state, CCL blue and they are really a 7a school who somehow got a state exception to play in 5a this year.

The cards were in their favor this year.

Reactions: Golden Warrior
SW,

Rita is hot, they have one of the state's best backs, they are used to playing in one of the toughest divisions in the state, CCL blue and they are really a 7a school who somehow got a state exception to play in 5a this year.

They got the success factor removed for lack of playoff success so they got put where they should be enrollment wise with just the all boy multiplier. Believe it's a 2 yr deal but I'd think they'll petition up next year especially if they're fortunate enough to win it this year.

They got the success factor removed for lack of playoff success so they got put where they should be enrollment wise with just the all boy multiplier. Believe it's a 2 yr deal but I'd think they'll petition up next year especially if they're fortunate enough to win it this year.

It's one of the stupidest rules I ever heard of.

It's the give everyone a trophy type of rule.

I didn’t see Sterling getting shut down on offense like they did, it hurt to watch, but it was total domination. Rita is at another level. I thought Sterling played decent defense but it didn’t matter when your offense can’t move the ball, it’s the most bizarre feeling watching a team all season that scores 50 points a game get shut out and have another team do it to them. Rita is at another level and I would be surprised if anyone left on the road to state even comes close to giving them a game. wassup I stand corrected, you know your football.

another level for sure. Almost like a 7a level...

Very impressed with Brown. Kid is a stud and makes it look effortless. SR Defense flies around. Good luck to SR the rest of the way.

The Sterling staff has taken a good program to new levels. Hope they keep climbing. To win a state championship in 5a these are the games they have to win. I believe they will. #115

Sterling 's conference is not the conference of yesteryear when the NCIC was strong. Sterling was putting 50 on some weak teams.

Reactions: SGW08
My point which i didn't articulate well is with Geneseo down, Sterling played no one this year.

This just isn’t true. Geneseo hasn’t been the measuring stick for years. Sterling played Rocky and Moline for the first time in a long time. Both are much larger and have the same or better athletes. Both made the playoffs in larger classes. SHS plays in the best conference available to them.

I don’t think SOS played a part in today’s result.

Sycamore hasn’t been to two semis like Sterling has.

Sycamore has gotten more difficult pairings than Sterling.
In 2017, Sterling had better team that Sycamore. In 2018, Sycamore had the upper hand and the same for this year. In 2016, the two teams split, but Sterling was probably better.
Let's say both teams have been outstanding publics for past 4 years, certainly deserving of state-title appearances, but have been kept out by private school dominance in 5A north bracket.

another level for sure. Almost like a 7a level...

Very impressed with Brown. Kid is a stud and makes it look effortless. SR Defense flies around. Good luck to SR the rest of the way.

The Sterling staff has taken a good program to new levels. Hope they keep climbing. To win a state championship in 5a these are the games they have to win. I believe they will. #115
Actually some people were writing off St. Rita’s football program last year after 3-6 regular season ...
St. Rita’s defense has played lights out after a gut retching lose to Montini. St. Rita had a large 2nd half lead disappear. Since then a different team. As far as Kaleb Brown goes Sterling did a better job on defense than a lot of other teams did. Tough loss but you guys have a very good team, great facility/field, and I’m dam envious of you jumbotron!

Last edited:
Sycamore has gotten more difficult pairings than Sterling.
In 2017, Sterling had better team that Sycamore. In 2018, Sycamore had the upper hand and the same for this year. In 2016, the two teams split, but Sterling was probably better.
Let's say both teams have been outstanding publics for past 4 years, certainly deserving of state-title appearances, but have been kept out by private school dominance in 5A north bracket.
Sycamore doesn't share talent with Sterling-Newman either. I think that's what really makes what Sterling has done so impressive

Wow. That's a bold statement. He is really good and time will tell, but I wouldn't personally say that.
Right, and you didn
Just curious if wassup predicted the running clock Sterling put on Saint Viator or if he predicted when Sterling beat Marian Catholic in the quarters? or was he predicting Sterling would lose by 21 points?[/QUO
Sterling 's conference is not the conference of yesteryear when the NCIC was strong. Sterling was putting 50 on some weak teams.
Whatever happened to Geneseo? Loved their old Packers style logo on their helmets. When you said yesteryears it reminded me of Geneseo. Believe it was early to mid 90’s when they were tough.

SW,

man, JCA is too. I won't presume a rematch, but I'd love to see it. Plus, i think you are looking at the two best sophomore running backs in the state, if not midwest. JCA's aderson was not playing varsity then...and now rita's has 10 games of varsity to his credit.

Reactions: RockSoup
Can't help but feel for Coach Schlemmer. He's a great coach and an extremely positive guy, but there wasn't much he could say during the post game interview. He's built a phenomenal program at Sterling that I think has arguably been the best public school program in class 5a over the past 4 years. As a long time Sterling fan, I would love to see them eventually bring home a state championship, but games like this...and Montini last year...and Philips the year before just show the enormous talent gap that exists between the top level private schools in the Chicagoland area and Sterling. It stands to reason though. Those private schools draw from a population of over 1 million people and compete against sterling who draws from a population of 15,000. It's a completely different set of rules that those teams are constructed under, and it takes a generationally special public school team to win against these private schools that reload the exact same level of teams almost every year.

Tired argument is tired.

Reactions: RockSoup and USD24
Sterling nation: Great town, great experience. I had a crazy thought last night but hear me out.

Things I learned in this thread:

Maybe Sterling doesn’t play in the toughest conference.

Sterling, is stuck in 5A north which always goes through a metro team whether it’s Montini, Joliet Catholic or a Phillips type team.

Things I learned from the game:

Other than say 10 plays, Sterling went toe to toe with St. Rita all game.

Sterling athletes have to see the type of speed a defense like St. Rita has earlier in the season rather than later.

I say schedule St. Rita or a St. Rita type team for a non-conference game.

Cons: Sterling will be heavy underdogs and may lose big

Pros: the offseason workouts leading up to the game, the experience of going into the city for a game, knowing losses in the regular season don’t mean anything in November if you learn something from them, playing KB may not sound like fun the next two years but imagine what all the other RBs you face will look like to your defense after facing him.

Last edited:
Sterling nation: Great town, great experience. I had a crazy thought last night but hear me out.

Things I learned in this thread:

Maybe Sterling doesn’t play in the toughest conference.

Sterling, is stuck in 5A north which always goes through a metro team whether it’s Montini, Joliet Catholic or a Phillips type team.

Things I learned from the game:

Other than say 10 plays, Sterling went toe to toe with St. Rita all game.

Sterling athletes have to see the type of speed a defense like St. Rita has earlier in the season rather than later.

I say schedule St. Rita or a St. Rita type team for a non-conference game.

Cons: Sterling will be heavy underdogs and may lose big

Pros: the offseason workouts leading up to the game, the experience of going into the city for a game, knowing losses in the regular season don’t mean anything in November if you learn something from them, playing KB may not sound like fun the next two years but imagine what all the other RBs you face will look like to your defense after facing him.
Great post, that’s about how I thought Sterling would play the game on defense, you can’t stop a team as good as Saint Rita, most teams in our conference you would have had running clocked by half time, I knew Sterling would give up Points but I thought they could match your scoring, boy was I wrong! After a while I realized our QB had about 2 seconds to get rid of the ball every play and the offense isn't scripted that way, every play you had a guy there in lighting fast speed, Saint Rita defense was phenomenal. I think you will have the same result in your next two games, good luck the rest of the way!

Tired argument is tired.
The tiring part is the privates unwillingness to admit they have a huge advantage. Let’s say Alabama or Ohio State could only play athletes that were from their respective states while their competition could recruit from anywhere. Think about it instead of reacting based on your bias.And when you get time take a look at the finals for the past 10 years—how many private schools in those games?

The tiring part is the privates unwillingness to admit they have a huge advantage. Let’s say Alabama or Ohio State could only play athletes that were from their respective states while their competition could recruit from anywhere. Think about it instead of reacting based on your bias.And when you get time take a look at the finals for the past 10 years—how many private schools in those games?
I was wondering if the privates go to their own play off brackets how would level the playing field for the public's when LWE and MS are in the finals every year, year in and year out?

14decoys,

It's a long debate. I think in general things are even right now.

In this case with St Ritas enrollment they belong in 7a.

Reactions: doctor_d
Privates having their own playoffs would be a mess. They would have to have too many classes to take care of all the so many different enrollment levels.

If they went that route it would be better to have a Midwestern States private league playoffs.

Some privates that have success over the years are able to maintain it. Others like Marian Cath dont. They have the same deal as Rita and sterling pounded them. And Rita could go to Hillcrest and lose on Saturday.
The new proposal that's out looking to separate privates and publics has numbers listed and it's not as one sided private as you'd think. But I get the argument. Especially in the lower classes, where there's only access to so many bodies at some schools.
For me anyways if they're fortunate enough to win a 5a trophy it's vastly different than 7a where they usually are.

Reactions: Gene K.
As I have been saying, the reduction f the multiplier was done with the long term goal of getting private schools out of IHSA or at least separate. Pushing all the bigger schools down will just energize the separation base.

As I have been saying, the reduction f the multiplier was done with the long term goal of getting private schools out of IHSA or at least separate. Pushing all the bigger schools down will just energize the separation base.

Yes get more schools and conferences mad at the privates. Especially smaller classes and places in the middle of nowhere. Though that argument is more of a city, country one.
Granted you could have all champs but as of right now there's only 9 privates left out of the 32 teams in 5a-8a. And best case only can be 8 of 16 left after Saturday. Not sure how much more even it gets.

So what happens when MS/LWE, WWS, Prairie Ridge, Cary Grove, Rochester, and Stillman Valley win all the trophy's year in and year out?

How do you level the playing field within the Public's?

If it wasn't a St Rita, it would have been someone else of that caliber. In the playoffs you have to beat the team placed in front of you. I agree with the earlier post that Sterling should try to find a few non-conference games against teams that have fast and talented defenses and play makers on offense. Have that experience to draw on when the playoffs start. Find a few teams that wont let you have that home run ball that Sterling offense was known for. Find a few teams that make you have to grind.

Yes nonconference scheduling is so important when you want to do well in the playoffs.

You want to schedule at least one game against a caliber team that can win your bracket or a higher bracket.

If you have not done that yet then I don't want to hear any whining about how the playoffs are structured.

Why do some people fight so hard to get easy championships? In the thread about how many classes would the privates have if they split everyone agreed Rita would be in the top class with Loyola, Naz, MC, etc. But against public schools they want to play Sterling? Give me a break. At least keep it consistent.

Why do some people fight so hard to get easy championships? In the thread about how many classes would the privates have if they split everyone agreed Rita would be in the top class with Loyola, Naz, MC, etc. But against public schools they want to play Sterling? Give me a break. At least keep it consistent.

Yes rita could have petitioned up this year and see if ihsa would move them up. But I dont think they were expecting to be so competitive as young as they are. They didnt fight to get to 5a to win, they had a bad season last year which removed the success factor and put them where their enrollment is.
Idk if anyone at Rita is parading around because they've won a couple 5a playoff games.

No bias here. Have been around long enough (I see you have as well) to have seen multiple sides of this debate. Both sides ignoring nuance to their benefit.

It’s. The. Same. Old. Argument. Every. Time.

Tired arguments are boring. Bring something new to the table or get an annual “This is why I think [public/private] schools are unfair” thread stickied to the top of the board so we can stop ruining every other topic with the same old shallow talking points.

Yes rita could have petitioned up this year and see if ihsa would move them up. But I dont think they were expecting to be so competitive as young as they are. They didnt fight to get to 5a to win, they had a bad season last year which removed the success factor and put them where their enrollment is.
Idk if anyone at Rita is parading around because they've won a couple 5a playoff games.
Yeah, going into this year they were 1-4 in their last 5 games vs 5A teams and their last 2 state playoff 7A games they got clobbered by a Public in the Quarters and upset by a Public in the first round the year before.

But this one year is the flashpoint for systematic upheaval. And they’ve only made it to the Quarters so far with an even game coming up this weekend on the road. No apologies.

And with this post the pussification of America continues. All I see here is "yes we know we don't belong in this class but it's easier so we stayed"

And with this post the pussification of America continues. All I see here is "yes we know we don't belong in this class but it's easier so we stayed"
What does being in a class of high school football have to do with the “pussification of America”? Why would Rita have petitioned to move up? They were 3-6 last year. Your argument is old and boring.

Privates having their own playoffs would be a mess. They would have to have too many classes to take care of all the so many different enrollment levels.

If they went that route it would be better to have a Midwestern States private league playoffs.
I had the same kind of thought about a potential elite multi-state Midwest championship. IDK if you would want to call it Private though, because maybe some good Publics would also be interested in such a playoff.

It's an interested idea, even if it's logistically impossible.

Disclaimer: I have no idea if something like this would even be feasible, just throwing around the idea.

Reactions: Wassup13
What does being in a class of high school football have to do with the “pussification of America”? Why would Rita have petitioned to move up? They were 3-6 last year. Your argument is old and boring.
The below argument is the one that is constantly made. But there is irony in that I pointed out the real pussification. We were 3-6 last year so we should be in an easy playoff class is about as bad an argument that there is.

Aren't you crying cause your team cant win so you want the rules changed so you can win a trophy? Isn't that pussification?

No. I just want good games between like teams.

The below argument is the one that is constantly made. But there is irony in that I pointed out the real pussification. We were 3-6 last year so we should be in an easy playoff class is about as bad an argument that there is.

No. I just want good games between like teams.
Like the 56-14 beat down Sterling put on a private in round 1. I didn’t see you around last week asking for better games. Be consistent

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT