ADVERTISEMENT

St. Rita @ Sterling

RockSoup

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2009
Just started the thread already since it was hijacking the StL v Hillcrest thread.

Looking forward to the trip over there to see the town, the atmosphere, and a fantastic football game. I should get there with the family around 4pm. Where should we eat?

Edit: Duh, maybe I should wait to find out what time and what day the game is. Maybe it will be a Saturday brunch

Last edited:
Just started the thread already since it was hijacking the StL v Hillcrest thread.

Looking forward to trip over there to see the town, the atmosphere, and a fantastic football game. I should get there with the family around 4pm. Where should we eat?

I know time is up in the air at this point. Once that is set I could guide you a little more. I will say the down side with the quality broadcast is the stands haven’t been as full as they usually would. Quite a few places broadcast it so people choose the warmth and beer over showing up in person.

Reactions: Gene K.
I know time is up in the air at this point. Once that is set I could guide you a little more. I will say the down side with the quality broadcast is the stands haven’t been as full as they usually would. Quite a few places broadcast it so people choose the warmth and beer over showing up in person.
I only know Sterling from what I read on the board. I heard you have a quality stream, and I want to say you have a video board, correct?

Reactions: Golden Warrior
Yeah you could just drive to Sterling watch from one of the taverns broadcasting it, clear HD like watching an NFL game!

Reactions: Golden Warrior
I only know Sterling from what I read on the board. I heard you have a quality stream, and I want to say you have a video board, correct?

Yeah it’s a pretty cool set up. Depending on the refs they’ll replay most plays (whether good or bad for Sterling).

Reactions: RockSoup
How are the visitor stands? High enough?

I mean reading some of the complaints over the years about visiting bleachers I don’t think it’ll be the worst you’ve had. Room for I believe 1500 (6 sections that fit 250 each). It’s behind a fence that’s outside of the track so set back a little. But it is slightly elevated at least. Might be 15 rows high at the top?

Reactions: RockSoup
I mean reading some of the complaints over the years about visiting bleachers I don’t think it’ll be the worst you’ve had. Room for I believe 1500 (6 sections that fit 250 each). It’s behind a fence that’s outside of the track so set back a little. But it is slightly elevated at least. Might be 15 rows high at the top?
Yeah, I don’t have to be high enough to read the safeties, but high enough to see over the players.

Reactions: gw86
Game is set for Saturday. Time is still TBD per IHSA. Sterling tweeted 1pm but a reply debated that.

Golden Warrior QB Cooper Willman last night: 4 carries 171 yds 43.8 avg

Mustang RB Kaleb Brown last night:
7 carries 271 yds 38.7 avg

Long week of practice for the defenses

Last edited:
Rita wont be bringing 1500. That drive probably bring 250 tops.

Nah, some girl who grew up there and still has family there says not much of a lot.

That Sterling QB, from the small sample I’ve seen, will be the fastest QB St. Rita has faced since Bell of Montini and that didn’t end well

Yeah you could just drive to Sterling watch from one of the taverns broadcasting it, clear HD like watching an NFL game!

In 1973 I worked on a small job in Sterling/Rock Falls for two weeks. We upgraded the traffic control signal boxes from mechanical to electronic and installed inductive loops in the turn lanes. What I remember was the food was good, the people were better, and the bugs on the Rock River at dusk were like the locust swarms. I think we were in some of establishments at dusk.

I like traveling to communities were football is important. Beats playing a generic CPS team at Gatley. Loved playing at Morris too.

That Sterling QB, from the small sample I’ve seen, will be the fastest QB St. Rita has faced since Bell of Montini and that didn’t end well
The stomach acid I had after that loss could have melted a space ship like the movie the Alien. But after watching SR football for 49 years we delivered some of those types games to others. Seen an lot of opponents fall apart after losing a tough game like that. Kuska did a nice job of keeping the kids on track. 6 straight wins since then.

Imagine it will be a nice change up for the Rita fans to see more of the small town football vibe. Enjoy what should be a good game!

Anybody hear a time for the game yet? Last I heard SR wanted to go Friday night and Sterling was demanding 1pm on Saturday.

Anybody hear a time for the game yet? Last I heard SR wanted to go Friday night and Sterling was demanding 1pm on Saturday.

There was a tentative agreement during the initial call between a.d.’s for Saturday at 1. It is not yet official.

There was a tentative agreement during the initial call between a.d.’s for Saturday at 1. It is not yet official.
So my dream of Friday night lights in a great football town is still a possibility, or no?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT