ADVERTISEMENT

Off season round ball thread

Now Flyers shooting free throws - Hargrove.

TJ makes it - 21 points for him already.

Water bottle tossed out there ... already two Ts on ESL players so far. 55-52 and technicals on both teams.

TJ to shoot his second.

TJ hits the second.

47-45 roc
Congrats to the Belleville faction. Tough team. We would have had to get more calls and press all 4 qtrs to come away with the win. Not sure why we didn't press when that's our bread and butter.

But I'm pulling for the Maroons repeat.
The Brook was pesky - not in a condescending way, but a hard nosed team that played great D.

Reactions: Cross Bones
Curie will be too skinny in the middle, but they'll shoot better than us. I would make West the favorite, but Curie will attempt to exploit whatever their strengths are better than we did.

Check out this mess - glad it’s now sorted out.

ESL Coach Mark Chambers, an assistant for 12-plus years at Cahokia High, replaced Fernando Stevenson as the Flyers' coach on Jan. 3, 2018, one day after Stevenson resigned. Stevenson had replaced Stetson Hairston in November 2017, before Hairston even coached a game.

Hairston had been hired to replace Phillip Gilbert, who was dismissed after two years. Gilbert had replaced interim coach Hank Harris, who had stepped in for Tony Young when Young was placed on administrative leave in January 2015.

Congrats to the Belleville faction. Tough team. We would have had to get more calls and press all 4 qtrs to come away with the win. Not sure why we didn't press when that's our bread and butter.

But I'm pulling for the Maroons repeat.

Thanks Bones,

Solid game. Bolingbrook played their hearts out. I think if they could’ve answered from behind the arc a few more times early it would’ve been a battle.

Can’t shoot 16% from 3pt range and expect to beat Belleville West.

First time seeing Bolingbrook, but a lot of good players on that squad.

Reactions: Cross Bones
Thanks Bones,

Solid game. Bolingbrook played their hearts out. I think if they could’ve answered from behind the arc a few more times early it would’ve been a battle.

Can’t shoot 16% from 3pt range and expect to beat Belleville West.

First time seeing Bolingbrook, but a lot of good players on that squad.
Our 3 pt shooting is streaky at best. Probably shot better last night than we did against Simeon. The main problem was the size. We can usually convert in the paint, but with that many trees in there they were clearly altering shots even when they weren't blocked. I would have liked to see us use the fact we were guard heavy to our advantage. We can't battle in the paint, but should have pressed more and forced West to put some ball handlers in. Then we could hit some layups.

But I'll be watching this weekend. Good Luck!

A Springfield sports writer posted a video on his twitter, https://twitter.com/RyanMahanSJR, and I counted six Flyers on the floor.
Should have been a T and half-court inbounds according to a non-game official quoted in the Springfield paper. Giving SSE a much better chance to tie it up.
This is the SSE coach's quote from the Springfield paper's game story on that final sequence.
"We tried to tell them, but that’s how caught up they were in making the calls that they made,” Thomas said. “East St. Louis had six players on the court when they took the free throw. East St. Louis had six players on the court when we threw the ball in. The refs, they were so caught up in trying to make calls for one side that they didn’t even see that.”

A Springfield sports writer posted a video on his twitter, https://twitter.com/RyanMahanSJR, and I counted six Flyers on the floor.
Should have been a T and half-court inbounds according to a non-game official quoted in the Springfield paper. Giving SSE a much better chance to tie it up.
This is the SSE coach's quote from the Springfield paper's game story on that final sequence.
"We tried to tell them, but that’s how caught up they were in making the calls that they made,” Thomas said. “East St. Louis had six players on the court when they took the free throw. East St. Louis had six players on the court when we threw the ball in. The refs, they were so caught up in trying to make calls for one side that they didn’t even see that.”

Yeah, just watched the video and it was definitely a missed call. It did seem a bit inconsequential, but was certainly a mistake by the refs. I can see why SE fans would be upset by that. Talked to a Flyer fan who was also upset about the reffing and SE allegedly getting away with instigating the techs called against ESL.

Yeah, just watched the video and it was definitely a missed call. It did seem a bit inconsequential, but was certainly a mistake by the refs. I can see why SE fans would be upset by that. Talked to a Flyer fan who was also upset about the reffing and SE allegedly getting away with instigating the techs called against ESL.

Typically what happens in that situation is a ref will let you know that you have six on the court before play resume allowing any team to correct the situation. A kid received his second Tech and was kicked out the game.
Apparently six hit the court out if the time out instead of five. Really nothing to complain about. A tough loss like that hurts so I understand his comments. I do, however feel he should take responsibility for taking his own team out of rhythm by trying to hold the ball with over 6 minutes left.

Typically what happens in that situation is a ref will let you know that you have six on the court before play resume allowing any team to correct the situation. A kid received his second Tech and was kicked out the game.
Apparently six hit the court out if the time out instead of five. Really nothing to complain about. A tough loss like that hurts so I understand his comments. I do, however feel he should take responsibility for taking his own team out of rhythm by trying to hold the ball with over 6 minutes left.

Yeah I read and heard that down the stretch SE was playing not to lose instead of to win. They probably regret not being more aggressive now. I'm glad to see two Southwestern Conference teams going up state in the same season. Would be nice to see two first place trophies.

Unless I’m missing something, no teams in Peoria will match size with the SWC teams.

What is forgotten, is that aside from EJ, the rest of the rotation includes a 6-6 guy and four who are 6-5, one of which can play in the post woth most anyone in the state.

Reactions: rink62221
Although, anything can happen BW-Curie is probably the "real" 4A title game. The Maroons will have a huge size advantage, as it looks like Curie's tallest starters both stand 6-4 and weigh around 175-180.
The Condors are probably like Bolingbrook on steroids with their quickness and the pressure they put on you. And while they have the Sun-Times Player of the Year in DaJuan Gordon (6-3, sr., G), they've got plenty of guys who can hurt on the offensive end.
IF ESL just plays its game, the Flyers should have no real issues with Manual, and it will probably face Bogan in the title game.
Bogan has one starter at 6-8 and another at 6-9 and boasts eight players standing 6-6 or taller. The Bengals also have two guards who score in double figures.
They took out two-time defending champ Morgan Park, so that will be a real tough test for the Flyers.

Reactions: flyerforlife
Although, anything can happen BW-Curie is probably the "real" 4A title game. The Maroons will have a huge size advantage, as it looks like Curie's tallest starters both stand 6-4 and weigh around 175-180.
The Condors are probably like Bolingbrook on steroids with their quickness and the pressure they put on you. And while they have the Sun-Times Player of the Year in DaJuan Gordon (6-3, sr., G), they've got plenty of guys who can hurt on the offensive end.
IF ESL just plays its game, the Flyers should have no real issues with Manual, and it will probably face Bogan in the title game.
Bogan has one starter at 6-8 and another at 6-9 and boasts eight players standing 6-6 or taller. The Bengals also have two guards who score in double figures.
They took out two-time defending champ Morgan Park, so that will be a real tough test for the Flyers.
I missed the Bogan roster ... they are big.

All.... The no call in the Southeast/ESL game was a bit odd. The scorer at that game (a Lanphier High stat guy for 30 years) on the local sports radio the next day said he was yelling at one of the refs (who was 12 feet away) but the ref ignored his yapping about the Flyers having six on the floor.

I do agree Southeast made a huge mistake slowing the tempo down when they were up by a few points in the fourth quarter. But a t when ESL was leading 56-52 with 1.9 to go would of given the Spartans two free throws and the ball. Still a difficult hill to climb but who knows. Ratsy

All.... The no call in the Southeast/ESL game was a bit odd. The scorer at that game (a Lanphier High stat guy for 30 years) on the local sports radio the next day said he was yelling at one of the refs (who was 12 feet away) but the ref ignored his yapping about the Flyers having six on the floor.

I do agree Southeast made a huge mistake slowing the tempo down when they were up by a few points in the fourth quarter. But a t when ESL was leading 56-52 with 1.9 to go would of given the Spartans two free throws and the ball. Still a difficult hill to climb but who knows. Ratsy

In other words, Southeast is looking for a handout. There was a lot of chaos as the Southeast player instigated a double tech resulting in an East St Louis player being ejected with “1.9 seconds” remaining in the contest. To even mention a potential oversight on behalf of the officials while being down 4 with again “1.9 seconds” remaining is a stretch to the side of being pathetic. Accept the hard fought loss.

In other words, Southeast is looking for a handout. There was a lot of chaos as the Southeast player instigated a double tech resulting in an East St Louis player being ejected with “1.9 seconds” remaining in the contest. To even mention a potential oversight on behalf of the officials while being down 4 with again “1.9 seconds” remaining is a stretch to the side of being pathetic. Accept the hard fought loss.

Thats an interesting take. I didn't realize expecting the refs to enforce a rule is "looking for a handout"

Hargrove is a man among boys. But he might be trying to do a little too much, trying to go coast-to-coast almost every time he gets a rebound.

ESL by nine with 34.1 to go. Manual killing itself by shooting under 50 percent at the line.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT