ADVERTISEMENT

Lunch Counter Guy - Stolen Valor

crusader_of_90

Nov 1, 2003
Sauget, IL
archviewsecurity.com
I sat next to an over-talkative fellow at the Sauget Diner, trying to enjoy today's special of fettucini alfredo and a small Dave's salad, when the guy next to me started talking ... and he never stopped, until he left in shame.

One claim of this 1998 Lincoln graduate - after telling me he played for McKendree in Year 1 of the program - was that he had offers from Ohio State ... but they did not get his game film on time. Also, Boston College was going to bring him in, full boat, no questions asked. Blackburn College also offered too, but he was having nothing to do with D3 BS. So he picked McEndree.

This on top of annoying someone else by interrupting lunch for seven minutes at a table in the back set me off. "Ain't no way in hell THE Ohio State was even looking at you if you ended up at McEndree. BC neither ..."

He argued he ended up at D1 Lindenwood to which I cut him off, "they went D1 last year. Who are you BS'ing? And why?"

Lunch became much quieter and enjoyable after he paid and scurried off.

Effing guy, talking crazy smack.

I sat next to an over-talkative fellow at the Sauget Diner, trying to enjoy today's special of fettucini alfredo and a small Dave's salad, when the guy next to me started talking ... and he never stopped, until he left in shame.

One claim of this 1998 Lincoln graduate - after telling me he played for McKendree in Year 1 of the program - was that he had offers from Ohio State ... but they did not get his game film on time. Also, Boston College was going to bring him in, full boat, no questions asked. Blackburn College also offered too, but he was having nothing to do with D3 BS. So he picked McEndree.

This on top of annoying someone else by interrupting lunch for seven minutes at a table in the back set me off. "Ain't no way in hell THE Ohio State was even looking at you if you ended up at McEndree. BC neither ..."

He argued he ended up at D1 Lindenwood to which I cut him off, "they went D1 last year. Who are you BS'ing? And why?"

Was his name Al Bundy by chance?

Reactions: crusader_of_90
What’s the live music place by the gigantic gas station across from the factory?

I looked it up and I think it’s Pop’s…..but I don’t remember the big guitar out in front.

D1 Lindenwood for the 1998 high school grad...LOL! Lindenwood didn't even move from NAIA to D2 until 2011! Their football program was less than 10 years old back in 1998.

BTW, did you see where Lindenwood is gutting their athletics program? I don't get it. They make a big deal about moving to D1 and then they scale way the eff back. What gives? Is the school in financial trouble? Betcha the OVC wishes they can rescind their invitation to Lindenwood.

• Sad
There was a fire in the late 1990s, so it may be the "new facade."

Pop's ... had to get there by 2:30 a.m. for the nightly Best Chest of the Midwest Contest.
Yes! I remember seeing that on the marquee years back.

When we were young we’d go to the Landing and stop in Sauget for beer on the long drive back to Millstsdt.

As we’ve gotten older and stopped going to the Landing, we’d stop in after a Cardinals’ game and buy twice as much beer to get us to Columbia….

……and then sweat it all out the next day climbing the bluffs overlooking Valmeyer.

• Love
Yes! I remember seeing that on the marquee years back.

When we were young we’d go to the Landing and stop in Sauget for beer on the long drive back to Millstsdt.

As we’ve gotten older and stopped going to the Landing, we’d stop in after a Cardinals’ game and buy twice as much beer to get us to Columbia….

……and then sweat it all out the next day climbing the bluffs overlooking Valmeyer.
Route 3 OTB!

• Love
Reactions: all4theillini
2 things:

1. There is nothing better than watching Stolen Valor videos on YouTube and seeing the moment where they are called on their BS. I think it's illegal. If not, it should be.

2. Right after college in the meantime before I was able to find a job that matched my degree, I worked in retail. I noticed one of the guys had all of these stickers for Arkansas on his car, had Arkansas shirts and a jacket - the whole 9 yards. I found it odd, so I asked him one day and he told me that he played football there. When I inquired if he went to HS around here, he said he went to the school I went to. He went on this long diatribe about how he had to walk on at Arkansas because our HS (still there at this time) wouldn't play him because despite the coach pushing it, he wouldn't take steroids. When I shared this story to some people who knew the Razorback they couldn't stay on their barstools.

One time, I was at the gym and conversed with a guy who was built like a bodybuilder. He and I spoke about how our love for weightlifting started with playing football in high school. We then talked about playing in college. I told him I played small college football, and he responded he played at Wisconsin. I told him I thought playing in the Big Ten would be cool and asked him if he had ever played in the Big House. He responds, what's the Big House? I'm like, you know Michigan's stadium. He responds that he did not think Michigan was in the Big Ten when he played at Wisconsin. I walked away and avoided that guy after that.

only once? i get this crap all the time.

• Haha
One time, I was at the gym and conversed with a guy who was built like a bodybuilder. He and I spoke about how our love for weightlifting started with playing football in high school. We then talked about playing in college. I told him I played small college football, and he responded he played at Wisconsin. I told him I thought playing in the Big Ten would be cool and asked him if he had ever played in the Big House. He responds, what's the Big House? I'm like, you know Michigan's stadium. He responds that he did not think Michigan was in the Big Ten when he played at Wisconsin. I walked away and avoided that guy after that.
I mean, if you're going to lie at least get the main stuff memorized and do better with knowledge of information. And I have a REAL problem with anyone calling this "Stolen Valor." I mean come on!

Last edited:
Here's some relevant lines from a song by the Dropkick Murphys.

I can bench press a car, I'm an ex-football star
With degrees from both Harvard and Yale.
Girls just can't keep up, I'm a real love machine,
I'm a certified alpha male.
I designed the Sears Tower, I make two grand an hour,
I cook the world's best duck flambe.
I take the pick of the litter, girls line up for me,
I go at it all night and all day.

Actually, I wrote this song, but my innate modesty prevents me from taking credit for it.

Last edited:
Here's some relevant lines from a song by the Dropkick Murphys.

I can bench press a car, I'm an ex-football star
With degrees from both Harvard and Yale.
Girls just can't keep up, I'm a real love machine,
I'm a certified alpha male.
I designed the Sears Tower, I make two grand an hour,
I cook the world's best duck flambe.
I take the pick of the litter, girls line up for me,
I go at it all night and all day.

Actually, I wrote this song, but my innate modesty prevents me from taking credit for it.
You forgot to say, "I kicked Cornpop's ass." 😄 😄

• Haha
Reactions: Gene K.
In 1995, Mike Tyson fought a guy named Peter McNeeley. Taken advantage of his 15 minutes of fame, McNeeley went on David Letterman before the fight and offered this prediction "I'm Hurricane Peter McNeely from Medfield Mass. On Saturday night, watch me kick Tyson's a**."

Tyson stopped McNeeley in the 1st round, when his trainers threw in the towel at the 1:29 mark after Hurricane was knocked down for a 2nd time.

one thing that rivals (or exceeds) stolen valor is "future stolen valor". that's where parents (or others) claim that their young athlete is "being recruited" by _____________________________ (insert D1 school here). my wife had the parent of an 8th grader tell her that her son was being recruited by Northwestern for baseball. an 8th grader from northern illinois, not the dominican republic. :) i will just assume that the kid got an invite to a baseball camp at NU, like hundreds of other kids got.

Reactions: Silver Rain
In 1995, Mike Tyson fought a guy named Peter McNeeley. Taken advantage of his 15 minutes of fame, McNeeley went on David Letterman before the fight and offered this prediction "I'm Hurricane Peter McNeely from Medfield Mass. On Saturday night, watch me kick Tyson's a**."

Tyson stopped McNeeley in the 1st round, when his trainers threw in the towel at the 1:29 mark after Hurricane was knocked down for a 2nd time.
At least Mass and ass is a pretty good rhyme.

Last edited:
Reactions: rocketnation
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT