ADVERTISEMENT

Off season round ball thread

Could the top three teams in the state all be from the same conference?
BW, ESL, Alton? And it's not like the CPL with dozens of teams. It's what eight schools? (TBH, if East Side doesn't play better than it did against Manual it will probably lose to Bogan. Unless Hargrove just imposes his will, which is very possible).
It truly has been a special year for the Southwestern Conference. Belleville West, Eastside, Alton and Collinsville...all monster teams.

Frick, I forgot all about Collinsville. When Ray'sean Taylor is on fire -- most explosive scorer I saw all season -- it can beat any of the other three and did.

Frick, I forgot all about Collinsville. When Ray'sean Taylor is on fire -- most explosive scorer I saw all season -- it can beat any of the other three and did.
It was too bad that the they had to eliminate each other early on in the playoffs instead of Alton and Collinsville getting a chance to play some different teams up north and possibly/probably advance a little further.

I didn't get to see McKinney play. Clay is the best all-around guard. Taylor's the kid who you'd watch for a half and he'd have eight points on 3 of 12 shooting. Halfway through the third quarter he'd have more than 20 and gone like 6 of 8 from the field. Never saw a shot he didn't like, but when he caught fire. Wow.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
Watching KMOV-2 out of STL. They're talking Missouri girls HS hoops, didn't even mention the wins by ESL and BW. At least it's on the crawl at the bottom of the screen.

Watching KMOV-2 out of STL. They're talking Missouri girls HS hoops, didn't even mention the wins by ESL and BW. At least it's on the crawl at the bottom of the screen.

Much like the Chicago area doesn't care too much for southern Illinois teams, the Missouri side is kind of the same. Not always the case, but there is a noticeable difference in the coverage.

Much like the Chicago area doesn't care too much for southern Illinois teams, the Missouri side is kind of the same. Not always the case, but there is a noticeable difference in the coverage.
To be fair our coverage is regional. Chicago area gives you Chicago area, Blo/No gives you Blo/No, Springfield gives you Springfield, Rockford gives you Rockford, and Quad Cities gives you Quad Cities.

Thats an interesting take. I didn't realize expecting the refs to enforce a rule is "looking for a handout"

Yeah I’m sure that you view it as “interesting” the idea of a reasonable person calling out a ridiculous proposition on the basis of a technicality or “rule”. Rules are rules, right? What if East St Louis would have instead only had three players on the court with “1.9 seconds” remaining? Southeast then having a 2-player advantage would have been able to execute a four point play, correct? The point is, the outcome of the game was determined on the court, as it should have been.

To be fair our coverage is regional. Chicago area gives you Chicago area, Blo/No gives you Blo/No, Springfield gives you Springfield, Rockford gives you Rockford, and Quad Cities gives you Quad Cities.
The Chicago are is gigantic compared to the St. Louis area. Can't be mad at regional coverage for such a big area.

Sun Times gave it up for EJ with their press this year and the SW Conference by giving Clay love.
Yeah, there's definitely exceptions to the rule and it's definitely not all bad. A Southwestern Conference player getting the Mr. Basketball trophy for the past two seasons and possibly this year as well, certainly says that things are improving coverage and respect wise.

The Chicago are is gigantic compared to the St. Louis area. Can't be mad at regional coverage for such a big area.
And the basketball coverage is very Chicago based, not even suburbs. I remember riding down to the Pontiac tournament and I was following Mike OB on twitter during the Simeon/Lockport game. The tweets were "Simeon is doing this" and "Simeon is doing that" "Simeon Simeon Simeon" then he posted the score "Simeon 16 Lockport 14"

So, Lockport wasnt doing anything?

And the basketball coverage is very Chicago based, not even suburbs. I remember riding down to the Pontiac tournament and I was following Mike OB on twitter during the Simeon/Lockport game. The tweets were "Simeon is doing this" and "Simeon is doing that" "Simeon Simeon Simeon" then he posted the score "Simeon 16 Lockport 14"

So, Lockport wasnt doing anything?

Understood. To be clear, I would never expect Chicago prep sports media to give equal focus to southern Illinois teams. That wouldn't make any sense. I think that the issue is that over the years, sometimes good teams and players from outside of the area get overlooked and / or there is some bias when there is some coverage. That's gotten better though. On the other hand, when the sports media in southern Illinois and St. Louis area happen to mention Chicago teams it's almost always with VERY high praise. The issue with the STL prep sports media is really just that it boils down to a tendency for more coverage for Missouri teams than the area Illinois teams even though the area is fairly small. To put the size of the area into perspective, you can see the downtown St. Louis Arch from many of these IL towns like Edwardsville, Collinsville, etc. and from E. St. Louis you feel like you could throw a rock at the Arch and hit it. lol

Reactions: Cross Bones
BND does a decent job, no? I always read their stuff when I gotta learn about the StL area teams

What odds would you give this parlay?

The Southwest Conference goes undefeated in 3A and 4A except when playing league foes.

It’s a long shot. It’s banking that Tuesday nights with West v ESL, Alton v CVille and those types of games - twice through, make a team battle ready, instead of weary.

Maybe it’s overshooting in the SWC altogether, despite the “national barometer” one was measured by before losing in their conference.

Double or nothing to the parlay - Vashon wins their class.

Quadruple or nothing, Chaminade wins theirs.
I goofed ... I really did mean CBC ... and this parlay still in play ... Vashon won and Chaminade into the finals just like ESL and BW.

The BND has trimmed its staff down to just one full-time sports writer, all the others were either let go or bailed because they saw the writing on the wall.

Nice to see ESL within two at halftime, but if it had done a little better job finishing around the hoop it might be up 4-6.

One down, one to go. Let's go Maroons.
Aside, I got to interview Hargrove a few times this year. All he wanted to talk about is what he just accomplished. Great kid. So happy for him.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
That was one hell of a game. It was fun to watch from start to finish with too many highlights to count. Hate to see one team lose in this one. Bogan played a great game and almost had it. Both teams played with amazing energy, but down the stretch Eastside's intensity hit a ferocious level and it seemed like that made the difference. You could just feel their will. Couldn't ask for a better championship game.

IHSA needs a new broadcast partner. NBCSCH put preseason white Sox pregame coverage on with under 2 left in ot. Overflow channel was not working on DirecTV.

Finally get a compelling game down to the wire and the IHSA can't get out of its own way.

Reactions: flyerforlife
Hey 618. If Bellville West gets past Evanston tonight and wins 4a, we'll have two teams from the area winning championships this year. When was the last time that happened in our area for basketball. The last that I can remember was around 87 when E. St. Louis Lincoln won 2A and Venice won 1A. Not the same conference, but the schools were just a few miles away from each other. I think Carlyle won during that ESL Lincoln stretch too. Anything after that?

Reactions: flyerforlife
Carlyle and East St. Louis Lincoln both won in 1989. Also Lawrenceville, with Marty "The Mule" Simmons" and ESL Lincoln in 1982.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT