ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite Level of Football?

Wassup13

Nov 9, 2002
What is your favorite level of football? Is it high school, college or pro? And why? Rank your favorites.

If you could go to just one game on the weekend, would it be high school, college or pro and why??

Do you get most satisfaction from your high school or favorite college or favorite NFL team winning?

Last edited:
High school
College
Hate the pros but love winning fantasy leagues.

The why is pretty easy there is no kneeling or feel good slogans painted in end zones there is no money or NIL deals there is just school pride and bragging rights. Sure the product is better as the talent gets better but you can’t beat a Friday night rivalry game in my opinion.

Watching on tv (what i do the most, by far): Pro, college, high school.

Going to a game: nothing beats big college tailgate/game atmosphere

Satisfaction when they win: college, pro, high school

As a fan, it’s College and it’s not even close for me. Everything about it is just the best, the pageantry, the tradition, the greatest fan base in all of sports (my team has it!), the championships, the band (yes, even the band), the cheerleaders, the entry into the field, the tailgating, the rivalries. Nothing compares.

It is hard to match being an alum and following your high-profile D1 university team from a major conference who plays in meaningful nationally-televised games, conference championships and is in the conversation for CFP consideration periodically.

1. Whatever they’re calling the NWCC nowadays
2. High School (specifically the CCL/ESCC) I love the public’s too but you always have your first love.
3. College
4. Pro
5. Lingerie Football League

Honestly the grammar school one would be 4, I just know certain folks get irked over grammar school football talk.

High School.
My late father used to say it was the last level of purity left in the game; I recognize times have changed but it remains the closest to pure that exists.

Reactions: Alexander32
What is your favorite level of football? Is it high school, college or pro? And why? Rank your favorites.

If you could go to just one game on the weekend, would it be high school, college or pro and why??

Do you get most satisfaction from your high school or favorite college or favorite NFL team winning?
Hard to answer this.

Generally speaking, I prefer high school then college then pro.

However, the issue with HS football is the lack of parity. So many regular season and postseason games are lopsided whether it's because one player takes over a game or because on program is just on a different level than another. But when you get a good, competitive HS game, there is nothing better. The problem is that less than 5-10 percent of HS games meet that criteria of being reputable teams who end up playing a competitive game against each other. Nobody could have watched the 7A playoffs and thought, "gee, this is exciting football." Same with 6A and ESL up until their one meaningful test.

College pageantry is the best. A diverse set of offensive looks helps the game be appealing as well. It's fun to see Air Raid games and then service academy triple option games. Parity still often an issue here as well. Most SEC and Big Ten games are either uninspiring contests between middling teams or a matchup of the 1-2 juggernauts in each league vs. the haplessly outmatched opponents. The bowl system and 4 team playoff were great for making the regular season matter. One loss could derail a whole season. Every game mattered. Sadly, next year that will change and it will become just like the NFL where a 3 loss team still has a shot.

NFL is bland in my opinion in terms of diversity of offenses. Everyone runs the same things with modifications for players with slightly different skill sets and game plan scheming, but it's all essentially the same set of analytic strategy and offensive playcalling. But the parity is great and the playoffs can be fun. They have found a formula to make a majority of games come down to the late fourth quarter. And yes I understand officiating has something to do with that and it does have a WWE pre planned vibe to it at times.

NFL is bland in my opinion in terms of diversity of offenses. Everyone runs the same things with modifications for players with slightly different skill sets and game plan scheming, but it's all essentially the same set of analytic strategy and offensive playcalling.
All you need for proof is the snooze fest from last night!

High School, I've just totally lost interest in college and pro. Why? I don't know. Old age? Poor Bears teams since before my kids were born? Why on earth would I root for Michigan over tOSU? Any affinity to either would be made up in my head. The HS team from my home town where I still live? There's a good reason. The private school my two youngest sons played for? Another good reason. The Fighting Illini? Pfft.

College - The pageantry, live game atmospheres, the fact that one single irrelevant game can be viewed as a huge success (think Illinois beating Penn State in 7OTs in 2021....wrecked PSU season, but meant nothing to Illinois), seeing storied programs going up against each other, bowl games, live game accessibility (cost, location), the quirkiness of the trick plays and crazy outcomes due to some unforeseeable upset, the regional aspect of the game.....I also like the fact that not a lot of people are hardcore college fans and cannot name more than 5 players (if any), they simply say "Man, I hope the Bears draft that kid from USC" lol

However I do not like the road college is going down with realignment and NIL and I could see myself hating in ten years.

High School - We are all here because we love our team if not just high school football. I think it's easy to be a huge fan when your team has seen success. If Wilmington was even average I would not care one bit until my kids are old enough to play. That being said I really only truly look forward to like one game a year and then playoffs. I don't waste my time (or $5) when Wilmington is playing a horrible ICE team. Even most years round one of the playoffs is not worth the time/money investment. Sorry but it's true. I also love a good playoff road trip and seeing a new town. I'm kind of an Illinois geography nerd.

NFL - So odd fact about me, I have no favorite NFL team. The games truly mean nothing to me. I used to like the Bears, and then two co-workers wrecked it for me. They were the most delusional, ignorant fans of any team I have ever encountered. They once said that they hated Aaron Rogers so much that they would not want him to replace Cutler. Just truly moronic people. I watch NFL simply because I like football. The beauty in the NFL is every week there are more good games than not. I pick who I cheer for based on the team I like more for whatever reason I pick. The politics and all that never bothered me. It's everywhere anyway. Fantasy and Survivor pools are fun.

That being said I have never been, and really have no desire to go, to an NFL game. The most expensive ticket in sports, and most stadiums are a travel nightmare.

Reactions: CaravanMan
I really like division 3. It’s quality football and you get to sit close to the action.

Often times in high school you watch bad football.

Division 1 and Pro is outstanding football but you’re not gonna be as Close to the action.

Reactions: forlouann and USD24
College, and it's really not close for all of the reasons that have been mentioned here already.

Pro, the best of the best and games are typically within one score.

HS, love having pride in my team and watching as many games as I can, but there just aren't enough good games.

For me HS and college are #1.

NFL is more like there is nothing to do on Sunday

College
HS
NFL
College just has so many great games. They really know how to do it right starting with College Game Day.
Nothing beats a full day of college football in the fall.

NFL is just so predictable. I don’t really watch much other than the bears.

Reactions: epicbret
Nothing beats a full day of college football in the fall.

NFL is just so predictable. I don’t really watch much other than the bears.
Absolutely agree! I mean for me with the NFL it really doesn’t get interesting until the playoffs, especially if your team is any good.

High School- I'm 53, I started following MC Football when I was maybe 11, so over 40 years they are the only team I like in Chicago that hasn't consistently disappointed me for extended periods of time in my life.

College- Used to really love it, but the transfer portal, the conferences breaking up and the players being driven by NIL has really dampered my love for this level. The games are great and the fans and crowds make it a fun experience, but it's not the same as it was and not for the better.

Grade School- I loved watching my boys play and will still walk up to the park to watch the neighborhood teams play each other and say "i hope he goes to Carmel"

Pro's- A former love of mine has become an occasional hook up out of boredom. I will watch the Bears but I can really care less if they win or lose.....I will fully admit if they ever put together a string of good years again, I'll proudly jump on the wagon, but it's just a painful experience being a Bears fan, the occasional tease and glimmer of hope followed by years of mediocre to dreadful football.

Last edited:
Definitely the NFL. I don't watch nearly as much college football as I used to. But I always watch Army and Navy. Also, there are way too many bowl games and it has become a joke. I get things done on Saturdays and save Sundays for the NFL. Especially later in the season. The best time for NFL football is any Sunday and especially now, after Thanksgiving when playoff possibilities are heating up. Nothing like watching an NFL game and having RedZone on as well. I can't get enough.

I like HS football and I do watch the games on TV when available. I think it's fun to go to a game early in the season before the NFL really gets rolling. And as far as the NFL goes, it really doesn't matter if the Bears are good or not. I am going to watch. But when the Bears are good it helps.

Reactions: kkhawk
I like the HS game, but only top tier teams. Not interested in watching Johnny West at 2-7 vs Johnny East @ 3-6.

Reasoning:
1. Cost - can attend a game for like $20 a person easy compared to like $200-300 or more per person for a college or pro game.

2. Duration of event. I don’t like spending a whole day for a sporting event, just too much. HS game i can get door to door in 4-5 hours including travel and pregame.

3. Local feel/atmosphere.

Reactions: Gene K.
1. Whatever they’re calling the NWCC nowadays
2. High School (specifically the CCL/ESCC) I love the public’s too but you always have your first love.
3. College
4. Pro
5. Lingerie Football League

Honestly the grammar school one would be 4, I just know certain folks get irked over grammar school football talk.

High School- I'm 53, I started following MC Football when I was maybe 11, so over 40 years they are the only team I like in Chicago that hasn't consistently disappointed me for extended periods of time in my life.

College- Used to really love it, but the transfer portal, they conferences breaking up and the players being driven by NIL has really dampered my love for this level. The games are great and the fans and crowds make it a fun experience, but it's not the same as it was and not for the better.

Grade School- I loved watching my boys play and will still walk up to the park to watch the neighborhood teams play each other and say "i hope he goes to Carmel"

Pro's- A former love of mine has become an occasional hook up out of boredom. I will watch the Bears but I can really care less if they win or lose.....I will fully admit if they ever put together a string of good years again, I'll proudly jump on the wagon, but it's just a painful experience being a Bears fan, the occasional tease and glimmer of hope followed by years of mediocre to dreadful football.
McCaravan
We're a lot more a like than I thought. I older! Lol
I only disagree about the transfer portal. I reason it out by saying if the player liked where he is at he would stay. I have no problem with a backup trying to find a college where he can actually get playing time. I am totally on board with HS and the pros. I hardly watch NFL anymore and like you watching the Bears is painful.

College is my favorite by quite a bit. I grew up going to ND games as a kid and have been a college football fan since I was small. When my kids went to college I tried to hit as many colleges and venues as possible. I have kids in SEC and Big 10 schools, so it gives me an excuse to get around a little. I love the atmosphere, passion and all that embodies a college football weekend on campus. I hope to continue spending the fall's in the future traveling to different campuses to watch games.

My passion for high school football has lessened quite a bit in the last few years for various reasons. I still follow on line and did get out to two JC games this fall.

Not a big NFL fan. I casually follow and usually have it on in the background on Sundays, but don't really have a passion for it.

Definitely high school. I probably put on 10,000 steps pacing back and forth in Q4 of the 6A finals. No college or professional game would make me do that.

I couldn't disagree more. You try picking winners each week and you'll find out just how unpredictable the NFL is. You need to have a talk with Scott Hansen. :D
Not a gambler. But basically every game goes like this:

Someone takes a lead early. They hold on and maybe by the end of the third they are up by 10. They get conservative in the 4th then punt the ball. The other team drives down and scores to go down by 3 with about 8 minutes left. Other team goes 3 and out and theres 5 minutes left on the clock. The other team drives down quickly and likely hits a field goal and now there's 2:10 left on the clock and they have to run the clock out...

Like clockwork every single game.

Not a gambler. But basically every game goes like this:

Someone takes a lead early. They hold on and maybe by the end of the third they are up by 10. They get conservative in the 4th then punt the ball. The other team drives down and scores to go down by 3 with about 8 minutes left. Other team goes 3 and out and theres 5 minutes left on the clock. The other team drives down quickly and likely hits a field goal and now there's 2:10 left on the clock and they have to run the clock out...

Like clockwork every single game.
Not at all. And certainly not every game. Maybe three or four. If anything is predictable it's HS football followed by college football. Geez, look at the rankings every single year. Pretty much the same teams over and over in the top 10. Slight changes here and there. In the NFL a team can go from the bottom or near the bottom to at, or near the top in a surprisingly short time. That pretty much never happens in HS or college football.

Look at the Patriots. SB champs in 2019. Look at them now. Look at the Bucs and Rams. SB champs in 2021 and 2022. Look at them now. There aren't many NFL teams that hit the top or near and stay there for any period. Now let's look at the Bears. Terrible for years and still terrible. :D :D Well...at least there is some consistency in the NFL. I like the up and down changes the NFL brings. You don't get that in HS football. The good teams are good for years and the terrible teams pretty much stay terrible. Like clockwork.

Who are we talking about every year in the rankings?? LWE, MC, JCA, LA, MS, ESL, GBW, Batavia, and a few I am forgetting. I mean, you can take the same 10-15 teams every single year and they will be ranked all year and there is a little movement but rarely a new entry into the top 10. I am sorry but that is boring.

Last edited:
College is my favorite by quite a bit. I grew up going to ND games as a kid and have been a college football fan since I was small. When my kids went to college I tried to hit as many colleges and venues as possible. I have kids in SEC and Big 10 schools, so it gives me an excuse to get around a little. I love the atmosphere, passion and all that embodies a college football weekend on campus. I hope to continue spending the fall's in the future traveling to different campuses to watch games.

My passion for high school football has lessened quite a bit in the last few years for various reasons. I still follow on line and did get out to two JC games this fall.

Not a big NFL fan. I casually follow and usually have it on in the background on Sundays, but don't really have a passion for it.
Honestly it’s pretty much the same for me. USD24. I still love HS but college is my favorite. NFL is definitely a back seat. My grandson is playing flag right now so I will see if he continues on in football. He is a good athlete already in almost every sport he plays. Lefty is nice so whatever makes him happy will be fine with us grandparents. He is also creative and plays piano so who knows where he will land. It’s all good. 😊
I rooting for all upsets in college. I would love to see a huge shake up in the top 4.

Reactions: USD24
I tend to sour some on college football this time of year as players planning on entering the NFL Draft start opting out of bowl games not part of the CFP. The NCAA should forbid these players from being allowed on the sidelines on bowl game day. This would be consistent with securing the safety they seek by sitting out.

Reactions: MC63
High School.
My late father used to say it was the last level of purity left in the game; I recognize times have changed but it remains the closest to pure that exists.
I'd agree with that, and I'd also add non-D1 college ball. Been watching the D3 playoffs and it's some really excellent football and you know these guys are doing it for the love of the game and not scholarships.

Reactions: net-se and Gene K.
I felll in love with MC in first grade. I went to a grammar school, St Cyril's, located 200 feet from Mt Carmel. On fridays, the boys would do a conga line pep rally through the neighborhood chanting, "Go Cardmel, beat Rita" or whoever they were playing that week. Literally, I lived less than a full city block from Mt Carmel. Jordan Lynch's sweat shirt says, "Built n Dante_ I actually was.

Re the pros, I had Bear season tix for 42 years. I gave 'em up though due to the hoopelessness of the franchise and the growing time and effort to get to games.

I have very little interest in college football. To me, it's no longer amateur When asst coaches can earn $2 million a year - it's professiional and should be heavily taxed. The fact that it helps support "minor" sports is irrelevant. Those teams (in Div 1, anyway) are not really open to the general student body. Plus, how many average students feel an improvement in their life if the tennis team wins the Big 10?

I felll in love with MC in first grade. I went to a grammar school, St Cyril's, located 200 feet from Mt Carmel. On fridays, the boys would do a conga line pep rally through the neighborhood chanting, "Go Cardmel, beat Rita" or whoever they were playing that week. Literally, I lived less than a full city block from Mt Carmel. Jordan Lynch's sweat shirt says, "Built n Dante_ I actually was.

Re the pros, I had Bear season tix for 42 years. I gave 'em up though due to the hoopelessness of the franchise and the growing time and effort to get to games.

I have very little interest in college football. To me, it's no longer amateur When asst coaches can earn $2 million a year - it's professiional and should be heavily taxed. The fact that it helps support "minor" sports is irrelevant. Those teams (in Div 1, anyway) are not really open to the general student body. Plus, how many average students feel an improvement in their life if the tennis team wins the Big 10?
Wow, this is a good post. I like the backstory of your youth and MC.

I was wondering if you still had your Bears tix. I would commend you for being able to get to as many games as you did as you aged. It isn't easy to sit out in the late season elements in Chicago as we age. It isn't as east to get to games, period, as we age. And I give you a ton of credit for doing so, even when the team wasn't very good. As for your assessment of the Bears being a hopeless franchise, I concur.

As for college football, I don't watch much of it myself. I simply don't have the time on weekends. BUT, I pretty much never miss the Army, Navy game. I said in another thread, I choose to get things done on Saturdays so I can relax with the NFL on Sundays. Sometimes it doesn't work on Sundays. Or sometimes I miss the noon games window. That's life.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT