ADVERTISEMENT

Mt. Carmel v St. Rita Notes

RockSoup

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2009
-Both schools have to sign a 20 year agreement on this game. What a crowd, what a vibe and great talent on the field

-First game issues on both sides, penalties, missed opportunities

-Happy to see Gaughan-less D will be very solid for the Mustangs

-Unhappy to see the offense not be able to execute most of the night without KB available

-Credit of course to the young MC D. Great lane/gap discipline and fundamental tackling

-lower levels were both competitive games. Sweep by MC. Sophs 9-7 (disclaimer a lot of MC Soph difference makers on varsity. Frosh 19-6. Opening KO return, INT return were 2 of the scores. Both Frosh teams making plenty of 1st HS game mistakes. MC would’ve won by more if they didn’t turn it over so much or SR could’ve won if they didn’t play 3rd and 25 all day.

-All in all, upset with the varsity loss but as ever the optimist, KB should be fine and on a week to week basis, I was happy the talent gap between all levels of the programs is not as wide as the word on the street was.

-Next two years for MC. Pretty, pretty good

-Goals now for the Mustangs, get healthy, get in the playoffs and go from there

Sadly under the current conference climate I get the feeling that no one will be willing to commit to anything long term.....I still get the feeling the CCL\ESCC will go away sooner rather than later. Not that MC and St. Rita wouldn’t stay together in a néw alignment because they would but it’s pretty shaky

• Wow
Reactions: RockSoup
That would be a shame and I think it would be a mistake. I think they’ve done a good job of merging the 2 conferences and believe that the way they’re set up could be beneficial to the schools and successful for the conference. Obviously there should be some adjustments to ensure competitive games and limit mismatches with crossover games. Either way, after last nights game, MC & SR should’ve been at the table this morning figuring out how to make this a permanent game.

Sadly under the current conference climate I get the feeling that no one will be willing to commit to anything long term.....I still get the feeling the CCL\ESCC will go away sooner rather than later. Not that MC and St. Rita wouldn’t stay together in a néw alignment because they would but it’s pretty shaky
Could you elaborate, please.

Reactions: eireog
I would take it a step further and say that they should sign a contract in perpetuity. Don’t give anyone the opportunity to let this game ever get off the schedule again.

Hopefully the injury to Brown isn’t lingering and he will be good the rest of the season.
I know next season they open at MC week 1 and then the divisions realign again. If they remained in different divisions and did not draw each other in a cross have to think they would do another 2 year deal week 1 or 2.

Congrats to MC on the huge win. IMO this was the big game of the week. It was interesting with all the hype about Rita and MC being so young I was a surprise to see MC take control of the game. It was a tough hard fought game by both teams and a well deserved win by MC. We will watch to see how Rita rebounds from the loss, will their seniors step up and get the job done? Lots of games left and it will be interesting to see how the season progresses.

Reactions: Bowie50
Congrats to MC on the huge win. IMO this was the big game of the week. It was interesting with all the hype about Rita and MC being so young I was a surprise to see MC take control of the game. It was a tough hard fought game by both teams and a well deserved win by MC. We will watch to see how Rita rebounds from the loss, will their seniors step up and get the job done? Lots of games left and it will be interesting to see how the season progresses.
This definitely "could be" an 0-3 start. They need to pound the rock with #9 (not sure who that is) and set up the pass from that. Same offense different faces need creativity. Defensive has to get better & disciplined. MC ran pretty much the same plays w/limited pass down the field. Get to 5 wins, maybe All American returns, and make a run in the projected nasty 7a playoffs

This definitely "could be" an 0-3 start. They need to pound the rock with #9 (not sure who that is) and set up the pass from that. Same offense different faces need creativity. Defensive has to get better & disciplined. MC ran pretty much the same plays w/limited pass down the field. Get to 5 wins, maybe All American returns, and make a run in the projected nasty 7a playoffs

It’s going to be very tough with the next 2 games. Trinity Ky loss their first game after being ranked #1 in Ky and then they have LA. Hopefully their Sr step up to the challenge. Good luck next week.

Not exactly the publicity one looks for
It’s a barstool headline. I think they will survive and finish the season out. 7A playoffs should be very exciting.

As an alum, I could not be prouder of their performance. St Rita sports was built on never backing down. They lost their superstar on the first play of the game. Never gane up and kept fighting all game and kept getting up when knocked on their ass. Carried on the 63rd and Claremont tradition perfectly fri nite.

Barstool does provide a nice perspective on Bossie's 80-yard dash. I timed him at 10 seconds flat--not bad for a guy cramping up on hot and humid night.

• Sad
Barstool Sports is the Fox News of athletics. Bullies, liars, etc. Ignore 'em.
He knows what they are. He, as a Brother Rice Alum, fan and supporter, knows why he posted it also. The 7A playoffs should be exciting this year.

Mike Clark and I have discussed multiple times on various Between The Lines podcasts.....in short the smaller enrollment members along with some of the not CCL members are not happy....
And it never should've happened in the first place. Most ESCC schools know it and knew it then that they shouldn't have bailed the CCL out.

He knows what they are. He, as a Brother Rice Alum, fan and supporter, knows why he posted it also. The 7A playoffs should be exciting this year.
oh sorry then. How do want to sugarcoat that loss? I watched it. in my opinion Rita got beat in all facets of game. . I posted it because well i ts relevant for what a lot of public opinion is on the loss (not just mine).
Sure i pull for mc over rita all the time and i'd root for Rita if they weren't playing mc or rice. I alwasys pull for rita over marist. So are you going to get all angry on OBrien from BeverlReview because he posted following

oh sorry then. How do want to sugarcoat that loss? I watched it. in my opinion Rita got beat in all facets of game. . I posted it because well i ts relevant for what a lot of public opinion is on the loss (not just mine).
Sure i pull for mc over rita all the time and i'd root for Rita if they weren't playing mc or rice. I alwasys pull for rita over marist. So are you going to get all angry on OBrien from BeverlReview because he posted following
No. What a game! is pretty much the majority opinion for those that attended the game.

You loved the headline you posted, no big deal. If the barstool headline said “heartbreak classic” or something else benign, you wouldn’t have posted it for its relevancy or whatever.

The great thing about being in 7A is the chance to catch up with old friends.

What a fantastic kick-off to the season!

No. What a game! is pretty much the majority opinion for those that attended the game.

You loved the headline you posted, no big deal. If the barstool headline said “heartbreak classic” or something else benign, you wouldn’t have posted it for its relevancy or whatever.

The great thing about being in 7A is the chance to catch up with old friends.

What a fantastic kick-off to the season!
Actually that Barstool picked the game up was surprising to me. In reality I was surprised also by the headline. I would have forwarded their take regardless of the title - he gave it a title on how he saw it.

Reactions: Blue Ruin
Actually that Barstool picked the game up was surprising to me. In reality I was surprised also by the headline. I would have forwarded their take regardless of the title - he gave it a title on how he saw it.
Not exactly the publicity one looks for
Which is interesting that you added the whole bad publicity part. What bad pub?That a great play was made and they lost to a top 10 team after losing their star player after the second series? Even the 2013 Iron Bowl HS equivalent statement made is ridiculous in light of the headline because Alabama has done pretty well since the Kick 6 game. The only possible “bad pub” is the click-bait headline

But it’s done now, the T-shirts are printed. What a great galvanizing season-long rallying cry to re-focus the team after a tough loss. Thank you.

Well it was not a flattering article overall but it was on Barstool - he gets lots of reads. Anyway you're right time to refocus and rebound.

Well it was not a flattering article overall but it was on Barstool - he gets lots of reads. Anyway you're right time to refocus and rebound.
Chief from Barstool has no knowledge of sports outside of hockey. The title he used is click bait. It’s not even worth posting.

I suspect the St Pats (Eddie) or the Brother Rice (Carl) guys from Barstool would not have done that.

Last edited:
Tough to win a game when your star player, who your offensive game plan is centered around, gets injured, have a pick 6 called back in addition to your game winning field goal get's kicked 6. Just wasn't their day.

Probably more peeved by the loss.
The players and coaches are probably peeved, fans and alumni and anyone else should probably just be shocked by how it happened. What are the odds that Brown goes down early? What are the odds that a FG gets blocked and returned for a TD? These things just aren’t a common occurrence, Friday night the ball happened to bounce MC’s way.
There’s always going to be upsets in rivalry games. I’m willing to bet there have been upsets in both sides of this rivalry and both programs have gone on to recover from them.

The players and coaches are probably peeved, fans and alumni and anyone else should probably just be shocked by how it happened. What are the odds that Brown goes down early? What are the odds that a FG gets blocked and returned for a TD? These things just aren’t a common occurrence, Friday night the ball happened to bounce MC’s way.
There’s always going to be upsets in rivalry games. I’m willing to bet there have been upsets in both sides of this rivalry and both programs have gone on to recover from them.
Yep, DOS would have to come up with the years but a couple underdog St. Rita teams benefited from a bounce here or there. I want to say a snap over the QBs head one year spotted 6 points that ended 31-28 on a 40 yd last second FG. ‘83 St. Rita back up QB led them to late 20-19 victory. That’s pretty much why the only words I could muster at the end of the game was “Another Classic”. Great rivalries get those heartbreakers for both sides over time.

What are the odds that a FG gets blocked
Good question. A brief internet search indicates that, in the NFL, about 1 % of field goal attempts are blocked. The number goes up with the distance, reaching about 3% beyond the 25-yard line, where the ball has a flatter trajectory.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT