ADVERTISEMENT

St. Rita 7 @ Mt. Carmel 38 F

I thought the game would be closer, but it's the same old, same old . . .congrats to the Caravan on the victory. Game was never in doubt.

Hopefully, Cascia can learn from this and take it one game at a time.

Just wondering if Rita should've given the junior QB some reps when game was out of hand. Give Jett a break and possibly see if he can perform.

Two things I know:

You'll get your five wins, easily, and, I don't want to see you again 'til next year.
I would have easily agreed with you 5 hours ago. But I wasn’t being hyperbolic. In those 5 hours Wheaton St. Francis became extremely desperate and that’s on the road and St. Laurence beat Providence and it’s been only a handful of years ago that an underdog St. Laurence team went to St. Rita and won on a deflected Hail Mary.

Are the odds on our side? Yes no denying that but with only playing 5 good quarters out of 16 and the football is oddly shaped and it’s teenagers on both sides of the ball, and on any given Friday night, let’s just say my 100% confidence 5 hours ago has moved closer to 90% which ain’t bad but the needle has moved.

Congrats to your alma mater 63 and thank you for posting the score thread tonight.

• Haha
Reactions: Gene K.
This is a quote from a MC player. Is he right?

“I guess they call it a rivalry. I’ve been on varsity for three years and we are 4-0. I don’t know if I should call it a rivalry,” - Caravan senior Parker Startz.
Well, 2 of the wins were in doubt late into the game and 2 were beatdowns so…

He is a heckuva linebacker for sure. Ohio is getting a good one.

Reactions: Jenny27
I would have easily agreed with you 5 hours ago. But I wasn’t being hyperbolic. In those 5 hours Wheaton St. Francis became extremely desperate and that’s on the road and St. Laurence beat Providence and it’s been only a handful of years ago that an underdog St. Laurence team went to St. Rita and won on a deflected Hail Mary.

Are the odds on our side? Yes no denying that but with only playing 5 good quarters out of 16 and the football is oddly shaped and it’s teenagers on both sides of the ball, and on any given Friday night, let’s just say my 100% confidence 5 hours ago has moved closer to 90% which ain’t bad but the needle has moved.

Congrats to your alma mater 63 and thank you for posting the score thread tonight.
This is a valid point. One game at a time here. Let's go all out against Marmion to get that 4th win first.

St. Francis only lost to a very good DGN team by a score of 27 - 22. And now Laurence beating PC, nothing should be taken for granted. That JCA win was huge, imo.

This is a valid point. One game at a time here. Let's go all out against Marmion to get that 4th win first.

St. Francis only lost to a very good DGN team by a score of 27 - 22. And now Laurence beating PC, nothing should be taken for granted. That JCA win was huge, imo.
Agree 100%.

“I guess they call it a rivalry. I’ve been on varsity for three years and we are 4-0. I don’t know if I should call it a rivalry,” - Caravan senior Parker Startz.
Eh still a rivalry. Coach Lynch went 1-3 as a player against Rita, do you think he thought any less of the rivalry back in 2008 than the kids on Rita today who are 0-3 do? No

The rivalry goes back decades and decades -- before his grandfather was born. There were some years -- not too many ago -- when I thought your stadium was haunted.

I was surprised this was so one sided. MC really played great tonight. Elliott was 18-20. Dupree had his best game of the year and Densmore had a great game. Line made a change at guard and it seemed to work.

I’ve seen this SR QB 3 times live now the past two years. I just don’t think he’s the answer. That bomb was a great throw but he threw for 115 and that was 70 of them. Two bad INTs, some bad incompletions, one he threw directly off Startz…SR has some good receivers. 14 can be dangerous, 2 was a gamer, 88 is like 6’6….They have weapons, If they have another QB I would ease him in against Marmion.

Similar to Bears - Packers. In the history of the NFL, it’s a huge rivalry. At the same time, all anyone under 35 years old has seen is the Packers basically winning 3 out of every 4 games.

Reactions: McCaravan
Rocks recap:

It was going to be 6 pages long but around the 3rd page I realized that I was an idiot and erased it.

Jordan is Holecek. A step above, a step ahead of HS coaches. I hope the admin and alumni understand that because I don’t know where his head will be at challenge-wise after this year and next. Realistic 42 gsme winning streak possible. LA and Batavia will have plenty to say about that this year and LA will have something to say about it next year. But it’s impressive.

On the QB situation, it doesn’t matter to me because group A can say he was a main reason in beating Joliet Catholic last week and group B can say he was part of the reason that only 6 points were scored in the first 46 minutes of that game. So I’ll just trust the staff on that decision

And if I was the staff, I’d gear every practice and game to the rematch. They know what went wrong, they know what opportunities were missed and they know if they get another shot, it has to be flawless. I’m not calling the ‘on a collision course’ rematch like I did last year after week 5 but the way.I see Illinois football right now is Batavia, EastSide, LWE, LA and MC. I just put them in alphabetical order. They are a tier above with York close. So if all prep is geared toward a rematch, they should get to the 5 wins anyway, improving our toolset needed to beat this team from this week on. And football minds don’t like hearing that because every week is a challenge to itself.

We’re on to Cincinnati…I mean Marmion.

"The way.I see Illinois football right now is Batavia, EastSide, LWE, LA and MC. I just put them in alphabetical order. They are a tier above with York close."
I agree totally and I think that is a huge problem for the sport in this state.
Yes, on any given week, St.Laurence can pull off an upset, and Montini can come up huge and maybe Lake Zurich can come up and stun Warren down the road.
But in the end, it's a handful of teams, and it's certainly seemed to have sucked a lot of. life out of this forum.
I mean, for Week 4, we got majority comment on lights at Loyola, and enrollment figures at state universities in Illinois, and very little discussion, IMO, on matchups. I think it's because what is going to play out in November is pretty much already been determined.

I think prep grid fans have somewhat tuned out of this regular season and will return when we get MC vs. LA and in November, MC vs. Batavia and LWE vs. LA.
This feels similar to the coverage Notre Dame (college) is getting this week as they prepare for a sure-win game vs. Central Michigan. The topics being covered are ridiculous, including one story in which the theme is that playing on turf is preferred to playing on grass. The last sentence of the story says that the player being quoted throughout the story is allergic to grass.
Duh.

I know getting pounded by MC and LA should make this team better against all the other competition, so that's a plus.

Assuming Rita makes the playoffs (and odds are in her favor, not going to deny that), the hope is to avoid MC early, thus giving Rita a solid chance to advance.

After getting destroyed by MC last year, the coaching staff made adjustments, team got better and had a lead against the Caravan in the semis in mid 4th quarter.

Let's see if same situation can arise. Love to see how she will respond against Marmion, then LA.

Is there any other rivalry where on the field results don't come close to the off field hype??
I mean rita is 33-66 including 1-6 in the playoffs against mc. Rita would have to win every game til 2050 to pull even. Will there even be football as we know it being played then?

Reactions: kwamizee
I was surprised this was so one sided. MC really played great tonight. Elliott was 18-20. Dupree had his best game of the year and Densmore had a great game. Line made a change at guard and it seemed to work.

I’ve seen this SR QB 3 times live now the past two years. I just don’t think he’s the answer. That bomb was a great throw but he threw for 115 and that was 70 of them. Two bad INTs, some bad incompletions, one he threw directly off Startz…SR has some good receivers. 14 can be dangerous, 2 was a gamer, 88 is like 6’6….They have weapons, If they have another QB I would ease him in against Marmion.
He needs to learn to put that shoulder down when the contact is coming. He's gonna take a monster shot eventually running straight up like he does.
Rita's line play didnt help him. Couldn't run block, pass protect, screen passes were brutal be one Mc player making the tackle thru 3 o lineman.

I know getting pounded by MC and LA should make this team better against all the other competition, so that's a plus.

Assuming Rita makes the playoffs (and odds are in her favor, not going to deny that), the hope is to avoid MC early, thus giving Rita a solid chance to advance.

After getting destroyed by MC last year, the coaching staff made adjustments, team got better and had a lead against the Caravan in the semis in mid 4th quarter.

Let's see if same situation can arise. Love to see how she will respond against Marmion, then LA.
You guys and hanging your hat on that 4th quarter lead in the semi game.

You know Rita had a 4th quarter lead against MC last year in the playoffs. Rita could've won that game.
That's correct. Had a lead in the 4th quarter, blew it, and lost the game.
I get it's better than the earlier game last year but still don't get pumping up a lose as an accomplishment.

Is there any other rivalry where on the field results don't come close to the off field hype??
I mean rita is 33-66 including 1-6 in the playoffs against mc. Rita would have to win every game til 2050 to pull even. Will there even be football as we know it being played then?

ND has won 11 straight on the gridiron vs St. Pat's. The game still sells out within hours and is talked about at every watering hole located on the Northwest side. Even the soccer game between the two schools this past week had a raucous crowd. Oh, ND won that one too for the "Irish Cup".

(Sorry, just saw this as another opportunity to bring up ND's dominance over SPHS)

ND has won 11 straight on the gridiron vs St. Pat's. The game still sells out within hours and is talked about at every watering hole located on the Northwest side. Even the soccer game between the two schools this past week had a raucous crowd. Oh, ND won that one too for the "Irish Cup".

(Sorry, just saw this as another opportunity to bring up ND's dominance over SPHS)
That's what I mean, on the field some of these are very one sided.
What's the overall?
Even if Rita goes on a run like that they're still 2 decades from .500.

That's correct. Had a lead in the 4th quarter, blew it, and lost the game.
I get it's better than the earlier game last year but still don't get pumping up a lose as an accomplishment.

That 9-7 lead evaporated when MC scored two TDs in 49 seconds. Game, set, match.
That was tough. Rita had a 4th quarter lead, I think it was 9 - 7. Rita could've won that game because she had a 4th quarter lead. Six minutes to go as well.

From the view on the computer, it seems as if St. Rita is at its best running the ball and stopping the run.
Problem vs. Mt. Carmel on Friday was obvious. Mt. Carmel's defense against the run is stellar, which negates the best part of of St. Rita's offense.
And while St. Rita's defense against the run was able to take away the QB runs for big yardage, the pass defense was not good enough.
In order to be competitive in a playoff rematch, St. Rita would have to greatly improve its passing game, and also its pass defense. I suppose the pass defense could improve.
But, the Mustangs would seem to need the threat of a strong run game to set up the pass, and I just don't see that happening in a rematch.
Friday's game did not end with me thinking, "Wow!, I can't wait for a rematch to see if St. Rita can flip the script."
I didn't think that about East St. Louis after watching the Flyers lose to Mt. Carmel. But I would have if a rematch was possible, which of course, it isn't.
What surprised me somewhat was when the announcer mentioned that Mt. Carmel senior standout Maurie Densmore played last year for Maine South after starting his prep career at Homewood-Flossmoor.
I get moving from H-F to Maine South in terms of a football upgrade, but Maine South is pretty much state of the art in Illinois prep football.

From the view on the computer, it seems as if St. Rita is at its best running the ball and stopping the run.
Problem vs. Mt. Carmel on Friday was obvious. Mt. Carmel's defense against the run is stellar, which negates the best part of of St. Rita's offense.
And while St. Rita's defense against the run was able to take away the QB runs for big yardage, the pass defense was not good enough.
In order to be competitive in a playoff rematch, St. Rita would have to greatly improve its passing game, and also its pass defense. I suppose the pass defense could improve.
But, the Mustangs would seem to need the threat of a strong run game to set up the pass, and I just don't see that happening in a rematch.
Friday's game did not end with me thinking, "Wow!, I can't wait for a rematch to see if St. Rita can flip the script."
I didn't think that about East St. Louis after watching the Flyers lose to Mt. Carmel. But I would have if a rematch was possible, which of course, it isn't.
What surprised me somewhat was when the announcer mentioned that Mt. Carmel senior standout Maurie Densmore played last year for Maine South after starting his prep career at Homewood-Flossmoor.
I get moving from H-F to Maine South in terms of a football upgrade, but Maine South is pretty much state of the art in Illinois prep football.
Think ms is on probation but idk what that exactly entails.

Think ms is on probation but idk what that exactly entails.
MS had to forfeit all of last year's nine wins because of residency violations. Don't know why Densmore selected Carmel, but he has been a great addition.

Last edited:
I thought the game would be closer, but it's the same old, same old . . .congrats to the Caravan on the victory. Game was never in doubt.

Just wondering if Rita should've given the junior QB some reps when game was out of hand. Give Jett a break and possibly see if he can perform

Hopefully, Casc
Just wondering if Rita should've given the junior QB some reps when game was out of hand. Give Jett a break and possibly see if he can perform.
I really dont think he will get any reps this year. smh .

Just wondering if Rita should've given the junior QB some reps when game was out of hand. Give Jett a break and possibly see if he can perform

Hopefully, Casc
He needs to learn to put that shoulder down when the contact is coming. He's gonna take a monster shot eventually running straight up like he does.
Rita's line play didnt help him. Couldn't run block, pass protect, screen passes were brutal be one Mc player making the tackle thru 3 o lineman.
i cringe every time i see that happening.. smh

He is not wrong. I graduated SR in 96.
And bc my dad went to SR, I started following SR religiously in 1986 (Kenwood debacle was my first game). One of the Rita guys will help me, but I am guessing that SR has won less than ten times in the 40 or so meetings since I started following the rivalry in 87.

My fav games:
89 & 94 are tied for #1.
87 bc that was my first SR vs MC game at 63rd
What other years did SR beat MC since 86?

My most depressing losses:
88 & 22 are tied for worst loss

IMO, The rivalry is not determined by the score or who wins the most games. These are two true city schools who for more than 100 years have provided good education and brotherhood to south side young men, despite drastic changes over those 100+ years. It is important these two schools always play each other no matter how much MC dominates. SR needs to show up and fight no matter the score.

And bc my dad went to SR, I started following SR religiously in 1986 (Kenwood debacle was my first game). One of the Rita guys will help me, but I am guessing that SR has won less than ten times in the 40 or so meetings since I started following the rivalry in 87.

My fav games:
89 & 94 are tied for #1.

IMO, The rivalry is not determined by the score or who wins the most games. These are two true city schools who for more than 100 years have provided good education and brotherhood to south side young men, despite drastic changes over those 100+ years. It is important these two schools always play each other no matter how much MC dominates. SR needs to show up and fight no matter the score.
Believe 12 times since then Rita has won out 40ish games.

My fav games:
89 & 94 are tied for #1.

Rita won in 09' as well

My fav games:
89 & 94 are tied for #1.

Since 86 Rita beat MC in 87, 89, 94 Qs, 03, 08, 09, 10, 11, 14, 16, 17. I think the best game was regular season 04 the 42-35 MC win. I was petrified Weyer would score at end.

Since 86 Rita beat MC in 87, 89, 94 Qs, 03, 08, 09, 10, 11, 14, 16, 17. I think the best game was regular season 04 the 42-35 MC win. I was petrified Weyer would score at end.
‘06* was also a loss, the year they won the 7a title.

Both the 04 regular season and playoff games were incredible. Happened again the following year in 05 with 2 W’s

They also didn’t play a few years in there toward the end of the Lenti era.

Better for that young man to stay humble, these things tend to cycle back around in time.

‘06* was also a loss, the year they won the 7a title.

Both the 04 regular season and playoff games were incredible. Happened again the following year in 05 with 2 W’s

They also didn’t play a few years in there toward the end of the Lenti era.

Better for that young man to stay humble, these things tend to cycle back around in time.
The cycle has been consistent over a 100 games. Mc wins twice as much in the regular season and 80% of the time in the playoffs.

I always assumed MC guys held Rita as their rival like us Rice guys view Marist

I always assumed MC guys held Rita as their rival like us Rice guys view Marist
The ones that participated in it for both teams do, except for Parker. Marica obviously is a troll, and a good one as he walks this thread where he wants it to go and of course where he took the Marist rice one. And of course you passively asking this you were actively expecting a certain response. But play ball. The nice thing is that your Frosh team and ours should be playing each other for all the marbles week 9 as your Frosh should beat MC by 20. Like @TheWizardofWoodlawn says ‘there are cycles’ . At least in 3 years we won’t have to read Marica posts. Congratulations to him/her on last year, this year and next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT