ADVERTISEMENT

Mt. Carmel v St. Rita Notes

Yep, DOS would have to come up with the years but a couple underdog St. Rita teams benefited from a bounce here or there. I want to say a snap over the QBs head one year spotted 6 points that ended 31-28 on a 40 yd last second FG. ‘83 St. Rita back up QB led them to late 20-19 victory. That’s pretty much why the only words I could muster at the end of the game was “Another Classic”. Great rivalries get those heartbreakers for both sides over time.
87 Rita team beat a better MC team at 63rd and Claremont. I was at that game and remember thinking MC had the ball the entire game.

Yep, DOS would have to come up with the years but a couple underdog St. Rita teams benefited from a bounce here or there. I want to say a snap over the QBs head one year spotted 6 points that ended 31-28 on a 40 yd last second FG. ‘83 St. Rita back up QB led them to late 20-19 victory. That’s pretty much why the only words I could muster at the end of the game was “Another Classic”. Great rivalries get those heartbreakers for both sides over time.
While '83 is a shade before I could talk about being there, from what I have heard about the '83 game from a Rita player on the team in the game, is that Rita scored at the end as an MC DB fell down. That pretty much determined the playoff rep at the time as only a conference champ made playoffs at the the time. Final was SR 20-19.

I would say the '06 game comes to mind as far as a favored MC team losing. A great hard-hitting game , MC lost 7-6. Totally controlled the TOP and yards but missed a PAT and Rita won 7-6. The '04-'06 stretch had insanely close games. '04 had the regular season rain game 42-35 and the playoff OT, '05 MC 21-20 and '06 SR 7-6.

While '83 is a shade before I could talk about being there, from what I have heard about the '83 game from a Rita player on the team in the game, is that Rita scored at the end as an MC DB fell down. That pretty much determined the playoff rep at the time as only a conference champ made playoffs at the the time. Final was SR 20-19.

I would say the '06 game comes to mind as far as a favored MC team losing. A great hard-hitting game , MC lost 7-6. Totally controlled the TOP and yards but missed a PAT and Rita won 7-6. The '04-'06 stretch had insanely close games. '04 had the regular season rain game 42-35 and the playoff OT, '05 MC 21-20 and '06 SR 7-6.
I was there in '83. At home where we were at least a 2 TD underdog. MC was deep with D1s. Close game all the way through where we scored late to tie and went for 2 to win. Finished 6-3 and lost to ESL in semis downstate.

Reactions: RockSoup
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT