ADVERTISEMENT

CS8 Predictions-Week 9

rocketnation

Gold Member
Aug 12, 2017
Six Friday night contests to end the regular season. Weather should not be an issue this week. High Friday in the mid to high 60's and no rain forecast.

Eisenhower (1-7) at Southeast (1-7)
Both teams have their sole wins against Lanphier. Eisenhower won 46-24 in Week 4, while Southeast's margin was 48-8 last week. The Spartans appear to have found a pretty good Junior QB late in the season. He gives them some hope for next year. The Generals are playing many underclassmen and hope they stay in the program and keep developing. Southeast 35 Eisenhower 16

Lanphier (0-8) at Springfield (2-6)
Not really a road game for the Lions, since both teams have Memorial Stadium as their home field. Lanphier has struggled all season, especially defensively, and dressed fewer than 30 against Rochester in Week 6. The Senators will have QB Brody Scheffler for two more years. Springfield 51 Lanphier 8

Lincoln (5-3) at Chatham (5-3)
Lincoln led 14-0 on the road last week against U High but faltered and lost 41-28. Chatham beat U High 35-0 in Week 7. Both teams would like a 6th win to avoid playing a 9-0 or possibly an 8-1 team in the 1st round of the playoffs. Titan Sophomore QB Colton Knoedler has improved from the beginning of the season and was very sharp for a half last week against Rochester. Chatham should win comfortably. Chatham 45 Lincoln 14

Jacksonville (4-4) at U High (6-2)
Jacksonville needs to win to make the playoffs. They would likely be in 5A. U High would love to get a 7th win, which should get them a 4A home playoff game. Both teams own wins over Decatur MacArthur. U High beat Lincoln, while Jacksonville lost to the Railers. If the Crimsons win, it will likely be due to the running of Cam Ron Mitchell and Mani Moore. The Crimsons clinched their playoff berth in 2021 in Week 9 but that was a home game against Mac. U High is the slight favorite playing at home. U High 34 Jacksonville 28

MacArthur (5-3) at Bloomington (5-3)
The final CS8 vs Big 12 contest. The Big 12 leads 6-4 so far. MacArthur is the CS8 team I've missed the most on this season, being only 4-4. I picked them to beat Jacksonville and U High and had them losing to Chatham and SHG. I've always thought that Mac is a much stronger team when they play at home. Their wins this year against Chatham and SHG were both home games. Bloomington looks to be in 6A in the playoffs, while Mac will be 5A. Bloomington has lost to 5A Peoria, 7A Normal, and 6A Normal West. None of their losses were particularly close. They have beaten playoff qualifiers Peoria Notre Dame (4A) and Champaign Centennial (6A). Can Mac win for the fifth straight week after their big victory over SHG? I'm taking the Purple Raiders, barely. Bloomington 31 MacArthur 30

Rochester (8-0) at SHG (6-2)
The Rockets have never won at Ken Leonard Stadium, going 0 and 7 dating back to 2012. Last year, Rochester led 28-0 in the 2nd Quarter of the 4A semi-finals before being outscored 56-14 the remainder of the game by the Cyclones. There is a role reversal of the two teams from last season. SHG returned only 3 starters from their championship team and have had to deal with injuries to multiple key players. Rochester has the more experienced team and got WR-QB Parker Gillespie back last week after missing the first seven weeks with an injury. The Rockets led Chatham only 21-14 late in the 2nd Quarter last week before erupting to score the next 42 points. The defense, which had not been particularly impressive, came to life in the second half and forced three quick turnovers. This led to several short field TD's for the offense. Rochester would love to have a fast start and then be able to turn up the defensive pressure. Expect SHG to have reviewed Chatham's success in moving the ball in the 1st half last week. The Rockets should get their initial win at KL Stadium, but I'm expecting this to be hard fought. Rochester 41 SHG 23

"Expect SHG to have reviewed Chatham's success in moving the ball in the 1st half last week."

This is the crucial component of this game. CG found a way to beat the Rocket D by running quick cross routes and exploiting the height advantages of their receivers. Allison and Co. are smart and you can bet they're picking apart game film and have a plan in place to do some exploiting of their own. Beucker will have to make more timely adjustments against the Cyclones to prevent SHG from keeping it close. If anyone comes along saying SHG doesn't have a good chance in this contest, they're bagging.

If the Rockets win the turnover battle, they win. If the D doesn't perform, all bets are off.

"Expect SHG to have reviewed Chatham's success in moving the ball in the 1st half last week."

This is the crucial component of this game. CG found a way to beat the Rocket D by running quick cross routes and exploiting the height advantages of their receivers. Allison and Co. are smart and you can bet they're picking apart game film and have a plan in place to do some exploiting of their own. Beucker will have to make more timely adjustments against the Cyclones to prevent SHG from keeping it close. If anyone comes along saying SHG doesn't have a good chance in this contest, they're bagging.

If the Rockets win the turnover battle, they win. If the D doesn't perform, all bets are off.
I'm not "bagging". The coaches can pick apart the game film all they want, but you still have to have the horses to make the game plan work. The Cyclones do not have the horses this year. I believe a "good" game for them would be not getting "clocked" by Rochester. Have you even seen SHG this year? "He" has been prone to turnovers this year, just the thing Rochester needs to make this game a laugher.

Reactions: cigaros
I'm not "bagging". The coaches can pick apart the game film all they want, but you still have to have the horses to make the game plan work. The Cyclones do not have the horses this year. I believe a "good" game for them would be not getting "clocked" by Rochester. Have you even seen SHG this year? "He" has been prone to turnovers this year, just the thing Rochester needs to make this game a laugher.
Yes Sir, I have seen SHG play this season. In fact, I've seen both the Rockets and SHG play the Titans live and no one can seriously say RHS played the Titans better on both sides of the ball than SHG did in the first halves of their respective games. Should SHG put two halves like that together against RHS and the Rocket D underperforms, all bets are off.

The Rocket O is "average" this year (for a Rocket team). Had PG been healthy all season, who knows. And Zulauf has been great, but the offense is still an average Rocket offense. What has been special (and the difference maker this year) is the defense. And if they don't perform, or a team with great coaching (cough, cough SHG) finds a way to neutralize it, outcomes may shift. I know you talk about SHG not having the horses this year, but I think you may be unfairly comparing this group to last year's monsters. SHG will always be able to turn out better pure athletes than RHS. Hank Beatty's aren't born every year, but some teams are able to "find" them.

I agree the Rockets are favorites here, but there are a lot of places where underperformance can cause a big swing in Rocket success.

Believe me, there are no true Rocket fans going into this game with complete confidence and cockiness. 0-7 at KL is not being ignored!

Reactions: rocketnation
All... And the computer says -

Calpreps 44-22 (92%) Rochester
Massey 38-28 (66%) Rochester Massey for some reason hasn't been updating . Which is why it isn't in line with preps that usually is the norm.

The hard cheese that has followed SHG since the end of the first quarter week one when they played Normal Community continues and also in another form as well. Weather looks good though sunny and a high of 68. Ratsy

Yes Sir, I have seen SHG play this season. In fact, I've seen both the Rockets and SHG play the Titans live and no one can seriously say RHS played the Titans better on both sides of the ball than SHG did in the first halves of their respective games. Should SHG put two halves like that together against RHS and the Rocket D underperforms, all bets are off.

The Rocket O is "average" this year (for a Rocket team). Had PG been healthy all season, who knows. And Zulauf has been great, but the offense is still an average Rocket offense. What has been special (and the difference maker this year) is the defense. And if they don't perform, or a team with great coaching (cough, cough SHG) finds a way to neutralize it, outcomes may shift. I know you talk about SHG not having the horses this year, but I think you may be unfairly comparing this group to last year's monsters. SHG will always be able to turn out better pure athletes than RHS. Hank Beatty's aren't born every year, but some teams are able to "find" them.

I agree the Rockets are favorites here, but there are a lot of places where underperformance can cause a big swing in Rocket success.

Believe me, there are no true Rocket fans going into this game with complete confidence and cockiness. 0-7 at KL is not being ignored!
I agree with a lot of your post. I do think though that this is one of Rochester's best Offensive Lines. They have a really good mix of experience, size, and athleticism. When Lance Ingold is added in at either TE or FB, they are even more formidable. When the passing game wasn't clicking last week, the Rockets were always able to run the ball. The O-Line has been excellent in goal line situations as well.

Reactions: FB1976
All.... Malleus? Stirring up the Rocket faithful. 😇 On a different subject. As has been the tradition on last week regular season home football games (sometimes postseason games as well) the sacred ribeye steaks 🥩 (prime) have been ordered. Should you make the game. Ratsy

I agree with a lot of your post. I do think though that this is one of Rochester's best Offensive Lines. They have a really good mix of experience, size, and athleticism. When Lance Ingold is added in at either TE or FB, they are even more formidable. When the passing game wasn't clicking last week, the Rockets were always able to run the ball. The O-Line has been excellent in goal line situations as well.
You are correct! I mean no disparagement to the O Line at all. They are definitely killing it this year and staying on their blocks without fail.

All.... Malleus? Stirring up the Rocket faithful. 😇 On a different subject. As has been the tradition on last week regular season home football games (sometimes postseason games as well) the sacred ribeye steaks 🥩 (prime) have been ordered. Should you make the game. Ratsy
I won't make the game itself, but I may be there pre-game for the steaks if they're ready.

All... And the computer says -

Calpreps 44-22 (92%) Rochester
Massey 38-28 (66%) Rochester Massey for some reason hasn't been updating . Which is why it isn't in line with preps that usually is the norm.

The hard cheese that has followed SHG since the end of the first quarter week one when they played Normal Community continues and also in another form as well. Weather looks good though sunny and a high of 68. Ratsy
If the Cyclones can meet the Massey prediction, look in the sky for the flying pigs!

• Haha

... "great coaching (cough, cough SHG)"... . You're joking, right? Sorry, but I remember the Waterloo game from last year. Basically a deer staring into the headlights for most of the game. Running clock this Friday if that repeats itself.

The Channel 1450 picks are in. They have chosen Southeast (2-1), Springfield (3-0), Chatham (3-0), Jacksonville (2-1), MacArthur (3-0), and Rochester (3-0).

As u say, Rochester made adjustments to take away what CG was able to do in the first half. So, if SHG tries the same attack, wouldn't RHS defense know immediately the adjustments needed?

Does SHG have height at receivers like CG?

As u say, Rochester made adjustments to take away what CG was able to do in the first half. So, if SHG tries the same attack, wouldn't RHS defense know immediately the adjustments needed?

No one 6'7" like the Chatham player. They do have one 6'4" WR but the difference maker in the Chatham game is listed as being 6'0".

Well, if they attack the "exact" same way, yes. One would think, though, they might try y-cross or shallow cross routes in conjunction with simple cross routes. Beucker can pick up on that quickly, but you need time (half-time type time) to relay that knowledge and how to combat that to your players. It all depends on how "fancy" Allison gets with his play-calling and if he completely switches the style up at the half.....a tactic that has been utilized numerous times by D. Leonard to stymie and demolish many defenses in past years.

Edit: sorry...shadow=shallow. Dang auto-correct.

Last edited:
All.... Every year at this time I for the most part can narrow it down who SHG will play in the first round.

Not this time . The last two seasons with few scenarios was relatively easy. Much going on. Oddly enough the higher playoff points for SHG does them no favors in my opinion.

After a hard look at 5A I see them no worse then an 11 seed. I would rather them be a 14 or 15 but that is not going to happen. Not taking anything away with the leaders in the southern group of 16 but the middle seeds look to spell more trouble for the Cycs.
Still much can change with all of those 4-4 teams in play as well as possible 4-5's which could blow the whole thing up and create numerous surprise matches.

Anyway as of right now I see a road game for SHG in round one with three possibles. JCA, Peoria, or Hillcrest. Fun time of the year trying to figure it out! Ratsy

All.... Every year at this time I for the most part can narrow it down who SHG will play in the first round.

Not this time . The last two seasons with few scenarios was relatively easy. Much going on. Oddly enough the higher playoff points for SHG does them no favors in my opinion.

After a hard look at 5A I see them no worse then an 11 seed. I would rather them be a 14 or 15 but that is not going to happen. Not taking anything away with the leaders in the southern group of 16 but the middle seeds look to spell more trouble for the Cycs.
Still much can change with all of those 4-4 teams in play as well as possible 4-5's which could blow the whole thing up and create numerous surprise matches.

Anyway as of right now I see a road game for SHG in round one with three possibles. JCA, Peoria, or Hillcrest. Fun time of the year trying to figure it out! Ratsy
I have 2 out of your 3 - Peoria or JCA. Either one is not good news for the Cyclones, although I'm not sure any matchup would be good for them except a middle-of-the-pack team from below I-72. While not much on defense, Peoria I believe is the most dangerous possible first-round opponent for them. No way does SHG keep them from racking up the points, especially given the Lions' pedal-to-the-metal style of offense. The Cyclone defense also leaves much to be desired.

Anyway as of right now I see a road game for SHG in round one with three possibles. JCA, Peoria, or Hillcrest. Fun time of the year trying to figure it out!

Here is what Soucie has predicted today for his playoff outlook for 5A south.

1 Morris
16 Marion
8 Carbondale
9 Geneseo
4 Mahomet S
13 Mt Vernon
5 Peoria
12 Metemora
2 Morton
15 Triad
7 JC
10 TF North
3 Highland
14 Macarthur
6 Hillcrest
11 SHG

Everything in the Rochester v Chatham game changed when the Rockets switched from zone to man. ABOSLUTELY EVERYTHING. Those short routes were cut off. And two picks ensued with a couple knock downs and a dropped third pick. While one of those picks was a deep ball, this was caused by the fact the flats and short over the middle routes were covered. The receiver did not get down field fast enough as the d line was putting pressure on Chatham's QB for the entire 2nd half and Knoedler had to throw off of his back foot. Coach Buecker learned his DBs are much, much better in man to man as Chatham was adept in the first half at finding the open area of the zone. This also caused the Chatham run game to sputter as they managed just over 1/7th of the rushing yards as the Rockets. Picking a clock seems irresponsible. However, when comparing common opponents, Rochester has outscored SHG by 118 points, highlighted by their 28 point victory over a team which beat SHG by 18. The only similar victories being the Jacksonville and Ike games in which SHG won 51-6, Rochester 56-0 and 64-6, 59-0 respectively.

I agree with the computer analyses predicting a 3 touchdown Rocket victory. However wins by 1 are just as powerful in the rankings and standings as wins by 20.

Everything in the Rochester v Chatham game changed when the Rockets switched from zone to man. ABOSLUTELY EVERYTHING. Those short routes were cut off. And two picks ensued with a couple knock downs and a dropped third pick. While one of those picks was a deep ball, this was caused by the fact the flats and short over the middle routes were covered. The receiver did not get down field fast enough as the d line was putting pressure on Chatham's QB for the entire 2nd half and Knoedler had to throw off of his back foot. Coach Buecker learned his DBs are much, much better in man to man as Chatham was adept in the first half at finding the open area of the zone. This also caused the Chatham run game to sputter as they managed just over 1/7th of the rushing yards as the Rockets. Picking a clock seems irresponsible. However, when comparing common opponents, Rochester has outscored SHG by 118 points, highlighted by their 28 point victory over a team which beat SHG by 18. The only similar victories being the Jacksonville and Ike games in which SHG won 51-6, Rochester 56-0 and 64-6, 59-0 respectively.

I agree with the computer analyses predicting a 3 touchdown Rocket victory. However wins by 1 are just as powerful in the rankings and standings as wins by 20.
Yes...a few of us in the stands were lamenting the decision to stay in zone. I watched Parker Lyons (Rochester MLB) look over to the sideline several times and I swear it looked like he was practically begging Beucker or Clarke to turn them loose man up. I'm probably imagining that, but it sure seemed that way. Parker would drift over to cover the DE and then slide back to the LB pocket. After the half the switch to man yielded an immediate return on stifling the CG attack.

SJR Staff Predictions
Southeast 35 Eisenhower 26
Springfield 49 Lanphier 6
Chatham 35 Lincoln 14
U High 34 Jacksonville 28
MacArthur 28 Bloomington 27
Rochester 56 SHG 14

Here is what Soucie has predicted today for his playoff outlook for 5A south.

1 Morris
16 Marion
8 Carbondale
9 Geneseo
4 Mahomet S
13 Mt Vernon
5 Peoria
12 Metemora
2 Morton
15 Triad
7 JC
10 TF North
3 Highland
14 Macarthur
6 Hillcrest
11 SHG
If the South does end up like this, Geneseo gets to make another 3-4 hour trip to play Carbondale. Last year, they had the "honor" of traveling to Carterville in the second round, I believe.

Assuming they both win, JCA would go to Morton. I know that in the fairly recent past JCA went to Morton in the first round and handled the Potters fairly easily. Morton is having an above average year for them, so I'm interested in seeing how this matchup would turn out.

Although neighbors on the map, I don't think Peoria will act very "neighborly" towards the Redbirds if they should meet.

I believe MacArthur has the edge regarding athleticism, but would that necessarily translate to a victory over Highland and Brutus the Bulldog? As I indicated in another post, the Generals' game of the year was last Friday versus SHG.

Have NO idea regarding SHG versus Hillcrest. Which costume do the Cyclones put on: Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde? I do think the Hillcrest game is a better matchup for SHG than a number of others they could end up with.

Only comment on the top game is: a long trip to get stomped by Morris for Marion.

Expect Mahomet (Seymour) to beat Mt. Vernon at home.

South County Weekly Mr. Pick'em Predictions
Southeast 29 Eisenhower 13
Springfield 45 Lanphier 6
Chatham 31 Lincoln 14
U High 30 Jacksonville 20
Bloomington 20 MacArthur 14
Rochester 42 SHG 14

For those who were wanting to watch this game online, SHG is NOT allowing RochesterRocketsTV to broadcast the game. Better reason to come out to the game...or you could listen to Sam and Tim on the radio which, I suppose, could also be entertaining 😉

For those who were wanting to watch this game online, SHG is NOT allowing RochesterRocketsTV to broadcast the game. Better reason to come out to the game...or you could listen to Sam and Tim on the radio which, I suppose, could also be entertaining 😉
Get to this game. I haven't heard as much hype since the 2010 season.

ALL.... SHG games are set up with NFHS who is having it. Do you recall last year if the week one game at K.L. Stadium was on Rocket stream? Ratsy

Last edited:
I
ALL.... SHG games are set up with NFHS who is having it. Do you recall last year if the week one game at K.L. Stadium was on Rocket stream? Ratsy
I don't recall. Since 2009 I've only failed making one in-person Rocket/Cyclone game (last year's semifinal thriller) and I know that one was NFHS. Didn't realize their regular season games were also NFHS....thanks for the info.

Get to this game. I haven't heard as much hype since the 2010 season.
I would guess that the VAST majority of the "hype" is coming from the Rocket faithful. Anticipation of a major Rochester beatdown on SHG will do that, especially after the last two years' semifinal loses to the Cyclones. With the way the Rockets are playing and given SHG's apparent average ability, I image at least some Rochester fans are absolutely foaming at the mouth (in a good way, of course). Why wouldn't they?

As indicated in an earlier post, the Cyclones can go in one of two directions following this loss. They can look at it as a preparation for what they will face competition-wise in the 5A postseason and attempt to learn from it, or they can be so totally dispirited and be in such a state of mind that they enter the playoffs totally unprepared. No way is there a post-game middle-of-the-road path for them.

I would guess that the VAST majority of the "hype" is coming from the Rocket faithful. Anticipation of a major Rochester beatdown on SHG will do that, especially after the last two years' semifinal loses to the Cyclones. With the way the Rockets are playing and given SHG's apparent average ability, I image at least some Rochester fans are absolutely foaming at the mouth (in a good way, of course). Why wouldn't they?

As indicated in an earlier post, the Cyclones can go in one of two directions following this loss. They can look at it as a preparation for what they will face competition-wise in the 5A postseason and attempt to learn from it, or they can be so totally dispirited and be in such a state of mind that they enter the playoffs totally unprepared. No way is there a post-game middle-of-the-road path for them.
Channel 1450 is where this hype is coming. The same station that handles all of the SHG broadcasts.

All.... Yes it is. It's started (surprised it took this long) on the Rochester fan forum. "Runng clock", accusations on the streaming (non issue) and a picture of whats her name that says "they hate us." It should be about time for that one Rocket fan who always posts be humble to get ignored again. lol Have to run picking up charcoal. See all at the game. Ratsy

Forgot and a "non Christian" reference to boot.....

Probably more along the lines of "cautiously optimistic" for Rocket fans. Having myself sat through so many SHG beat downs and comebacks from 3 or 4 TDs down, I can assure you there is no "anticipation" of a Rocket beat down on SHG.

That being said, I don't think I've ever seen the players so motivated and champing at the bit for an SHG game. They will be ready to perform tonight.

All.... Yes it is. It's started (surprised it took this long) on the Rochester fan forum. "Runng clock", accusations on the streaming (non issue) and a picture of whats her name that says "they hate us." It should be about time for that one Rocket fan who always posts be humble to get ignored again. lol Have to run picking up charcoal. See all at the game. Ratsy

Forgot and a "non Christian" reference to boot.....
Well...let's not judge all Rocket fans by the few loudest ones online. Some of my family and co-worker SHG fans would prove the adage "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

All....Did Cyclone fans ever toss a boulder and bring in Christianity toward Rochester? (ref post 32 bottom) Ratsy

Probably more along the lines of "cautiously optimistic" for Rocket fans. Having myself sat through so many SHG beat downs and comebacks from 3 or 4 TDs down, I can assure you there is no "anticipation" of a Rocket beat down on SHG.

That being said, I don't think I've ever seen the players so motivated and champing at the bit for an SHG game. They will be ready to perform tonight.
Agree. I've been to all the Rochester games at KL Stadium except in 2012 which was the closest of the 7 losses. So, I remember well the 2014 56-13 running clock, the 2016 45-6 near running clock where the Rockets failed to score a TD and Derek seemed to encourage Ken to go for 2 when the score reached 44-6, and of course the playoff loss last year after leading 28-0. Also watched my son's freshman team lose 70-28 at KL. I will be thrilled with a win of any amount.

Reactions: FB1976
All....Did Cyclone fans ever toss a boulder and bring in Christianity toward Rochester? (ref post 32 bottom) Ratsy
Nah...more along the lines of expressing hatred for DL and the Rockets. A topic I believe Ryan Mahan wrote about in the SJR years back after also overhearing SHG fans express their hatred for the up and coming Rockets. Remind me again....what does the Bible say about hatred for your fellow man?

Agree. I've been to all the Rochester games at KL Stadium except in 2012 which was the closest of the 7 losses. So, I remember well the 2014 56-13 running clock, the 2016 45-6 near running clock where the Rockets failed to score a TD and Derek seemed to encourage Ken to go for 2 when the score reached 44-6, and of course the playoff loss last year after leading 28-0. Also watched my son's freshman team lose 70-28 at KL. I will be thrilled with a win of any amount.
That 2014 win was Gabe Green's senior year, and the second year in a row that Derek and Ken both won state championships: Rochester in 4A and SHG in 5A. Never say never, but the prospects of a father and son both winning back-to-back state championships in two years in a row is indeed rarified air. Not sure we will witness that again.

That 2014 win was Gabe Green's senior year, and the second year in a row that Derek and Ken both won state championships: Rochester in 4A and SHG in 5A. Never say never, but the prospects of a father and son both winning back-to-back state championships in two years in a row is indeed rarified air. Not sure we will witness that again.
That team was amazing! Green was such a terrific QB. I believe that was the year they put a beat down on a tremendous Peoria team in the semis and went on to beat an impressive Montini squad. Maybe one of my favorite SHG teams!

Nah...more along the lines of expressing hatred for DL and the Rockets. A topic I believe Ryan Mahan wrote about in the SJR years back after also overhearing SHG fans express their hatred for the up and coming Rockets. Remind me again....what does the Bible say about hatred for your fellow man?
I understand wanting to win, but I would rather look on it as wishing to celebrate the fact that an SHG alumnus (Derek) was having such success at his profession. I wonder if some of the resentment was due to the fact that Derek was coaching against his alma mater? Regardless, what was he supposed to do? Ken was still at SHG and not ready to retire in the foreseeable future and as proven, Derek was meant to be a head coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT