ADVERTISEMENT

CS8 Predictions-Week 8

rocketnation

Gold Member
Aug 12, 2017
Five Friday night and one Saturday afternoon contest. Chance of rain tomorrow and storms with heavy rain on Friday could have an impact particularly on the three games with grass fields: Rochester vs Chatham, MacArthur vs SHG, and Jacksonville vs Springfield. Will the weather be bad enough to impact any outcomes?

Friday
Champaign Centennial (5-2) at Eisenhower (1-6)
The Big 12 currently leads the series with the CS8 5-4. This should increase to 6-4 after Friday. Centennial 47 Eisenhower 12

Lincoln (5-2) at U High (5-2)
Tough Week 7's for both teams. After becoming playoff eligible with a win against Jacksonville, Lincoln lost 55-0 at home to Rochester. U High, which had been the surprise of the conference, traveled to Chatham and got shut out 35-0 in what seemed to be a pick 'em game beforehand. U High still has a decent opportunity to go 7-2, which would probably get them a home playoff game. Lincoln is the underdog here and will be a major underdog next week at Chatham. Expect U High to rebound and get their 6th win. U High 34 Lincoln 14

Springfield (2-5) at Jacksonville (3-4)
A must win for the Crimsons if they want to stay in the hunt for the playoffs. Springfield is hoping to play the spoiler. The teams are pretty evenly matched. Jacksonville should come out on top in a close game. If they win, the Crimsons will still need to upset U High at ISU next week for a 5th win. Jacksonville 27 Springfield 21

SHG (6-1) at MacArthur (4-3)
Mac has wins over SHG (2017), Rochester (2014), and Chatham (2014 and 2023), something no other CS8 school can claim. All these wins came in Decatur. The Generals have had an interesting season, starting out 1-3 and losing winnable games against Jacksonville and U High, playing well at times in a loss to Rochester, and upsetting Chatham to start a 3-game winning streak. They have a big offensive line and two hard to bring down runners in QB Cameron France and RB Myson Johnson-Cook. Mac's defense has improved during the season but is not at the level of some of their best teams. SHG has battled injuries all season along with having to replace almost all of the starters from their 4A championship team. Not sure how many, if any, of their injured players will be available against Mac. RB Christian Pollard has been very impressive. He was the difference maker in the win against Chatham, consistently getting tough yards when SHG was trying to run out the clock. The Cyclones would love to jump out to an early and decisive lead as they did at Chatham. They should avoid the upset, but Mac will make it a 4-quarter contest. SHG 31 MacArthur 21

Chatham (5-2) at Rochester (7-0)
Last year, it drizzled, rained, poured, stopped, and then started up again in Rochester's 27-14 win at Rocket Booster stadium. This worked to Rochester's advantage as they ran straight ahead all night with their big boys Keeton Reiss and Ian Lichtenberger. Chatham's fast strike passing attack bogged down in the second half due to the poor field conditions. How much will the weather impact this contest? The defenses have combined to give up only 91 points this season. The Titans have relied on a ball control offense, although Colton Knoedler is throwing the ball more than at the beginning of the season. They will try to grind out drives to keep the ball away from the Rocket offense. Chatham adjusted from their back-to-back losses to MacArthur and SHG by putting reserve QB Brady Dwyer at RB last week against U High and giving him significant playing time. This is Senior night for the Rockets. The defense was outstanding at Lincoln last week and has forced multiple turnovers in every game. QB Bryan Zulauf, RB Nolan Mrozowski, and WR Henry Buecker have all been impressive on offense. No word yet on when injured QB-WR Parker Gillespie could return but doubt it will be Friday. As long as they take care of the ball, the Rockets should come out on top. Rochester 37 Chatham 15

Saturday
Southeast (0-7) at Lanphier (0-7)
The Spartans have been somewhat more competitive in their losses than Lanphier. They have been able to score multiple TD's in four of their losses and have held three of their opponents to 35 points or less. The Lions have been able to score multiple TD's in only two of their games and have surrendered at least 41 points in every contest. Southeast 34 Lanphier 12

The Channel 1450 picks are in. They have chosen Centennial (3-0), U High (3-0), Jacksonville (3-0), SHG (3-0), Rochester (3-0), and Southeast (3-0).

Reactions: cigaros
SJR Staff Predictions
Centennial 56 Eisenhower 0
U High 28 Lincoln 20
Jacksonville 28 Springfield 21
SHG 35 MacArthur 21
Rochester 42 Chatham 14
Southeast 30 Lanphier 13

All.... Rain and wind predicted from 9AM to 9PM on Friday (sometimes very heavy) is going to make field conditions bad. Slippery footballs galore. Those that can hold onto the ball will have an advantage.

Eisenhower's field the way it was built is really bad with pooling water. I recall a heavy rain a couple of days before a Friday game resulted in the school not be able to play the game on that day. Ratsy

Reactions: rocketnation
All.... Rain and wind predicted from 9AM to 9PM on Friday (sometimes very heavy) is going to make field conditions bad. Slippery footballs galore. Those that can hold onto the ball will have an advantage.

Eisenhower's field the way it was built is really bad with pooling water. I recall a heavy rain a couple of days before a Friday game resulted in the school not be able to play the game on that day. Ratsy
Real drainage problems at Eisenhower. My son played a JV game there where the area between the 40-yard lines was a swamp.

Any chance some of these games get pushed to Saturday?

Reactions: Gene K.
All.... I have not heard about any changes yet. Weather is just part of the game.... The Titans field is always pristine and for a grass field the best in the conference.

I would think Macs field should be in good shape since they just started playing on it last week. After not so much. lol I assume that is where they will be playing Friday.

Don't know if you tailgate but right off of Plummer next to the parking lot is where all of the "fun" goes on. That grass strip fills up really quick with fans and tents. The Knoedlers bring a big group, Titan kids in uniforms swinging in the trees (lol) , grills getting fired up a good time if one gets a spot. Rain might hold it down a bit though. Ratsy

Chatham field will not be impacted from the game on Friday.

Game is at Rochester and tailgating should be ok on RHS paved parking lot.

There's always trusty ole' Stephen Decatur Middle School Field!

I saw the Ike field personally but not QND's. I did see pics of some of the Rocket player uniforms after the QND game. Must have been quite a Mud Bowl!
Honestly, outside 2004 (my only game in uniform against Rochester) when we thumped the Rockets early on in DL's tenure, that game in 2010 was the most electric by far between these two programs. Probably top 5 most intense games played at QND dating as far back as my brain can remember.

QND v. Pittsfield playoffs 1997 was insane, few understand the hatred that exists between the Raiders and the Saukees. Palmyra/QND in 2003 is never forgotten. (Still not a touchdown for Palmyra for anyone who knows) QND knocking off Mahomet in the semi's in '04, and the Miracle at 10th & Jackson when QND came back from 16 down to beat Hannibal, MO in 2011 week 1. QND/Williamsville in 2019 was another electric moment in time. Rochester/QND in '10 ranks right up there.

23-21 Rockets final, and QND had their chance. Up 5 with minutes to play and we fumbled on the Rochester 22, driving to ice it probably. Lunt did what Lunt does and the rest, as they say, is history. I was in the endzone QND was driving towards when that fumble shot up in the air. Felt like an eternity before it landed. I remember that the feeling of defeat immediately swept across the property. We knew we'd just blown our chance at knocking off the giant.

I won't, nor will anyone involved with the QND program, ever say we purposely made sure "the swamp" (as it was known; our field is literally built on top of the old Quincy City Dump) was nice and overly ripe that day, but we sure didn't do anything to make it better before the game. Back then we took pride in being the power-I team who used it's beef up front to control the game. The mud was always something we could count on to slow our opponents down. Gamesmanship is all it was. We knew Rochester was better so we took every chance we could to bring them down to our level that day. Within the rules and without using cheap shots of course.

Many have forgotten how heated QND/Rochester really was during that time. And we only managed one win ('04) but we looked forward to that game year in and year out. One of the many reasons QND and it's alum/donors are excited for the challenge that awaits in the CS8. (and now we get a shot at downstate Illinois Catholic football royalty every year!)

South County Mr. Pick'Em Predictions
Centennial 36 Eisenhower 6
U High 30 Lincoln 14
Jacksonville 28 Springfield 22
SHG 33 MacArthur 21
Rochester 38 Chatham 17
Southeast 14 Lanphier 12

South County Mr. Pick'Em Predictions
Centennial 36 Eisenhower 6
U High 30 Lincoln 14
Jacksonville 28 Springfield 22
SHG 33 MacArthur 21
Rochester 38 Chatham 17
Southeast 14 Lanphier 12
Assuming this set has "weather" as a factor?

Otherwise, that Rochester/Glenwood score seems off. I think in perfect conditions Rochester puts up 40+ on the Titans. And I'm not sure they can score twice on that Rocket defense either.

Assuming this set has "weather" as a factor?

Otherwise, that Rochester/Glenwood score seems off. I think in perfect conditions Rochester puts up 40+ on the Titans. And I'm not sure they can score twice on that Rocket defense either.
I suspect there was a bit of a rethink after Chatham handled U High so easily (35-0) last week. It was a much needed and impressive win by the Titans after two straight losses.

Rain is currently projected to occur starting at 10am tomorrow and continue until 7pm-8pm.

Similar weather did keep the score down last year, probably on both sides.

I suspect there was a bit of a rethink after Chatham handled U High so easily (35-0) last week. It was a much needed and impressive win by the Titans after two straight losses.

Rain is currently projected to occur starting at 10am tomorrow and continue until 7pm-8pm.

Similar weather did keep the score down last year, probably on both sides.
Reminds me of the 2019 5A title game against St. Rita in freezing rain and high winds when Derek let off the gas midway thru the 3rd quarter up 42-7.

Generals 39
Cyclones 20
5:07 4Q

Mac has potentially done it again. Would be their 5th win. What a night for Johnson-Cook. He's the real deal.

Finals
Rochester 63 Chatham 21. After a Rochester turnover, Chatham scored late in the 2nd quarter to get within 21-14. QB Colton Knoedler has progressed well from Week 1. This is the 3rd time I've seen the Titans, and Knoedler was sharp in the first half. The Rockets were, however, able to score in the final seconds of the half to regain a 2-score lead. At half, it poured for about 20 minutes and turned the field from bad to worse.

In the 2nd half, Rochester ran off 35 unanswered points and led 63-14 before Chatham returned a kickoff late for the final score. Nolan Mrozowski had a huge night running the ball with 5 TD's and close to 150 yards. WR-QB Parker Gillespie played for the first time this season and had a receiving score. The Rocket defense was able to force three turnovers in the 2nd half and held on several 4th downs.

MacArthur 45 SHG 27. Sounds like the Generals led much of the game, although SHG was up 20-19 at halftime. Mac is a dangerous team, particularly when playing at home. I am surprised that the SHG defense had such a rough night. They were pretty good when I saw them against Chatham two weeks ago. According to the 1450 highlights, RB Myson Johnson-Cook had a big night for Mac with 3 TD's.

Jacksonville 31 Springfield 7. The Crimsons go to 4-4 and travel to U High next week. U High would love to be 7-2 to have a good shot at getting a home game. Jacksonville needs the win to be playoff eligible.

U High 49 Lincoln 28. U High gets its 6th win, and the Railers were much more competitive than last week. There was talk from the Rocket announcers that Lincoln could be the 1st round opponent for Rochester. The Railers are at Chatham next week and will be the heavy underdog.

Champaign Centennial 55 Eisenhower 26. Eisenhower loses but does score 4 TD's. Big 12 now leads the CS8 6-4 with Mac vs Bloomington in Week 9.

Last edited:
All.... Back from the game. Congrats to Mac! They are dancing in Decatur. A dominating performance. A nice win over the Cycs.

SHG is what I finally figured out after their game with the Titans. A team good enough to make the playoffs this year when five wins usually gets you in. Injuries sure don't help but if you want to go deep in the playoffs one has to get better week after week. I don't see that. Not that they aren't trying They are playing with what they have....

So the week one postseason draw will quite interesting. Ratsy

Final
Southeast 48 Lanphier 8. Southeast gets their first win of the season in the battle of East Side vs North Side.

All.... Back from the game. Congrats to Mac! They are dancing in Decatur. A dominating performance. A nice win over the Cycs.

SHG is what I finally figured out after their game with the Titans. A team good enough to make the playoffs this year when five wins usually gets you in. Injuries sure don't help but if you want to go deep in the playoffs one has to get better week after week. I don't see that. Not that they aren't trying They are playing with what they have....

So the week one postseason draw will quite interesting. Ratsy
The lack of improvement, especially in a particular position, is definitely a factor in the regular season record they will end up with (6-3). The team is fairly young, so any additional weeks of practice (and games) in the playoffs should benefit them going into the off-season and next year. I don't expect MacArthur to keep playing like they did against SHG. This game against the Cyclones WAS (emotion-wise) their playoffs!!!

A 6-3 SHG vs a 7-2 Peoria or a 7-2 JCA? Depends on how many 5-4 (or even 4-5)teams are matched against any 9-0 or 8-1 teams in the South Bracket.

Last edited:
All.... I have been running postseason scenarios . (as you know lol) A high number of possible variables still make it very difficult who the Cycs will play even entering the last week.

The playoff outlook with the revised numbers from the Saturday games will be up shortly. Currently SHG, Rochelle, and Peoria have the highest pp's among the teams that are 6-2 with 39 in 5A. Peoria will finish 7-2, Rochelle likely will drop back down into 4A when the qualifiers are announced. Points will change of course but SHG with those points is a good thing.

As always there are good draws and..... not so good ones. Playing a so so 7-2 team on the road could get you a round two game at home with a win. But you do have a valid point as well. Might be a road trip to Joliet or Peoria. Last year in round one there were two games that involved 6-3 schools. But another possibility among others. We will see. Ratsy

All.... I have been running postseason scenarios . (as you know lol) A high number of possible variables still make it very difficult who the Cycs will play even entering the last week.

The playoff outlook with the revised numbers from the Saturday games will be up shortly. Currently SHG, Rochelle, and Peoria have the highest pp's among the teams that are 6-2 with 39 in 5A. Peoria will finish 7-2, Rochelle likely will drop back down into 4A when the qualifiers are announced. Points will change of course but SHG with those points is a good thing.

As always there are good draws and..... not so good ones. Playing a so so 7-2 team on the road could get you a round two game at home with a win. But you do have a valid point as well. Might be a road trip to Joliet or Peoria. Last year in round one there were two games that involved 6-3 schools. But another possibility among others. We will see. Ratsy
The Sunday of Week 8 is sometimes like the day before a birthday as kid as those of us who like to predict the outcomes await the Playoff Outlook update.

Week 9 Matchups and a Few Observations
Eisenhower (1-7) at Southeast (1-7)
Lanphier (0-8) at Springfield (2-6)
Lincoln (5-3) at Chatham (5-3)
MacArthur (5-3) at Bloomington (5-3)
Jacksonville (4-4) at U High (6-2)
Rochester (8-0) at SHG (6-2)

After starting out 1-3, can Mac run the table and finish 6-3? Unlike 2022 when they were beaten badly by Peoria in the 1st round of the playoffs, the Generals will be a tough out this year. If they are 6-3, they might not have to initially face a 9-0 team on the road.

Jacksonville's playoff hopes again come down to Week 9. In 2021, they beat Mac at home to clinch a 5A spot. At ISU, it will be a harder task but still possible. A 7th win is important to U High as well. They would be more likely to get a 1st round home game with 7 wins. Should be a close contest.

Rochester would be wise to ignore the MacArthur result and expect SHG's best new week. KL Stadium has been unkind to the Rockets over the years. By my count, 0 wins, 7 losses. Getting WR-QB Parker Gillespie back last week was a nice boost, and he had a receiving TD against Chatham.

Last edited:
Reactions: net-se and cigaros

All.... Playoff Outlook up. Now four teams with a 6-2 record with most pp's heading into the last week. Ratsy

St. Francis 41
SHG 40
Rochelle 40
Peoria 39

Week 9 Matchups and a Few Observations
Eisenhower (1-7) at Southeast (1-7)
Lanphier (0-8) at Springfield (2-6)
Lincoln (5-3) at Chatham (5-3)
MacArthur (5-3) at Bloomington (5-3)
Jacksonville (4-4) at U High (6-2)
Rochester (8-0) at SHG (6-2)

After starting out 1-3, can Mac run the table and finish 6-3? Unlike 2022 when they were beaten badly by Peoria in the 1st round of the playoffs, the Generals will be a tough out this year. If they are 6-3, they might not have to initially face a 9-0 team on the road.

Jacksonville's playoff hopes again come down to Week 9. In 2021, they beat Mac at home to clinch a 5A spot. At ISU, it will be a harder task but still possible. A 7th win is important to U High as well. They would be more likely to get a 1st round home game with 7 wins. Should be a close contest.

Rochester should ignore the MacArthur result and expect SHG's best new week. KL Stadium has been unkind to the Rockets over the years. By my count, 0 wins, 7 losses. Getting WR-QB Parker Gillespie back last week was a nice boost, and he had a receiving TD against Chatham.
SHG's "best" may keep them at least respectable for the first quarter or first quarter and a half. Do not expect their best for an entire game, however. I originally thought playing Rochester heading into the playoffs would be an advantage for the Cyclones, since I can't image any team which ends up in the 5A South Bracket would be tougher than the Rockets. After the MacArthur game, I have changed my mind (not about Rochester but about SHG). The way the game unfolded in the second half against the Generals, I question how a beatdown by Rochester could possibly help the team. They did not handle adversity very well at Decatur when it counted. I think that is due to a number of factors, but I wish to remain on the board, at least for the time being, so no need to comment further.

You are correct. U-High also has high stakes in this game, so the Crimsons in my opinion are really up against it. I'm still interested in seeing whether or not Mac has a let down after their victory Friday night. I think they have the skill and athleticism to play well against Bloomington and beyond, but will they?

If 4-5 teams make the 256-team playoff list, then Lincoln's low playoff points is not an issue as far as them making the playoff field is concerned. If no 4-5 teams end up in their Class however, they should expect a rude welcome from whomever they play with that 5-4 record of theirs (I'm assuming Glenwood beats them. If the Titans don't beat them, then Chatham gets to play a big boy in 6A).

i don't think lincoln makes the playoffs. if i counted correctly, they only end with 33pp.

i apologize if someone else has posted this already.

i don't think lincoln makes the playoffs. if i counted correctly, they only end with 33pp.

i apologize if someone else has posted this already.
All.... They are definitely in trouble Coach with low playoff points. Several of us on the board came up with the final math which was more on if 4 & 5 teams would get in.

Those figures also show what would need to happen for the Railsplitters to get in. Currently in with five wins or more are 227 teams which includes some 4 and 4 teams going at it with each other this week. That leaves 58 more looking for win 5. Many will not come out with a w. If only 29 win (50%) Lincoln is in. These games are spread out over all of the enrollment classes. Many are playing good and bad teams so it's impossible to tell how it will go. Ratsy

I am wondering when people say they are "shocked" by the Mac win over SHG, do these people actually attend the games and watch or do they just look at the scores and make a judgement? For anyone who has followed the program and actually goes to the games, it is quite obvious that they don't have the talent on the field that they had the last two years. Those kids played 28 games of football the last 2 seasons for a reason. This group is not them. My question for you, Rat, or anyone following the playoff outlook closely, is a 6-3 record with 40 playoff points good enough to get one's team a first round home game? Probably impossible to answer but I'll ask, anyway. (I can see a scenario where SHG ends up playing Mac again, and possibly in the first round.)

Lincoln's schedule was a double edged sword this year. Weak enough to get 5 wins but not strong enough to get needed PP.

My calculation is Lincoln will get 6 PP from its 1st 5 opponents. 5 of these pts are from the bottom 4 conference teams beating up on each other.

I have wondered when match up between B12 and CS8 were determined that Lincoln coming off a 4 and 5 record ended up with Manual, perennial doormat.

Lincoln's schedule was a double edged sword this year. Weak enough to get 5 wins but not strong enough to get needed PP.

My calculation is Lincoln will get 6 PP from its 1st 5 opponents. 5 of these pts are from the bottom 4 conference teams beating up on each other.

I have wondered when match up between B12 and CS8 were determined that Lincoln coming off a 4 and 5 record ended up with Manual, perennial doormat.
All.... With the magic number being no more then 29 4-4 teams winning this weekend for Lincoln to get in I looked at the remaining 4-4's and gave them a loss against teams they were playing that had a better record. It came up at 29. Of course it doesn't work that way. A perfect example TFN at 7-1 is playing Lemont 4-4 this week. The Injuns or whatever they call themselves now will not lose that game.

Should Lincoln sneak in of course the talk already around town is they would play your Rockets.... Love that Class 4A ball. Ratsy

I am wondering when people say they are "shocked" by the Mac win over SHG, do these people actually attend the games and watch or do they just look at the scores and make a judgement? For anyone who has followed the program and actually goes to the games, it is quite obvious that they don't have the talent on the field that they had the last two years. Those kids played 28 games of football the last 2 seasons for a reason. This group is not them. My question for you, Rat, or anyone following the playoff outlook closely, is a 6-3 record with 40 playoff points good enough to get one's team a first round home game? Probably impossible to answer but I'll ask, anyway. (I can see a scenario where SHG ends up playing Mac again, and possibly in the first round.)
This is a bit of a wild guess that also assumes the Week 8 5A enrollment parameters don't change next week and that Morris is in 5A. If that holds, SHG would, in my view, have a fair chance (50/50) at a 1st round home game with a 6-3 record. It could come down to the outcome of Carbondale (6-2) vs Mascoutah (2-6). A 7th win for Carbondale would hurt the Cyclones chances for a home game.

Should Lincoln sneak in of course the talk already around town is they would play your Rockets.... Love that Class 4A ball. Ratsy
Unless I'm missing something Murphysboro is sitting as 1 seed and would host Lincoln assuming Murphysboro wins against 8-0 Duquoin.

Reactions: FB1976
All.... Variables galore. How many 7-2's ,5-4's and 6-3's. As I mentioned recently last year there were two first round games in 5A involving 6-3 teams in the south bracket of 16. So pp's effected which teams had to road trip to the other 6-3.

Actually that scenario holds a positive . Travel to another 6-3 one would assume a shot with a win and a chance for a round two game at home. Unless of course Iggy beats the Hilltoppers and they end up 6-3 and you go to Joliet. lol

Mac was better then SHG Friday night and everything went right for them including multiple third and longs when their qb was scrambling for his life and came up with big plays with receivers making great difficult catches keeping that Cyclone defense on the field wearing them out. Which made their great rb for the Generals even more dangerous and lethal.(two odd calls helped as well but I will not get into that) If they go 6-3 it's still early on who they open up against as well. Ratsy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT