ADVERTISEMENT

CS8 Predictions-Week 7

rocketnation

Gold Member
Aug 12, 2017
Six Friday night contests and for the first time this year it may be jeans and jacket time. High Friday of 65, probably about 60 at Kickoff and in the 50's by the end of the games. Game of the week is U High at Chatham.

Jacksonville (2-4) at Southeast (0-6)
After a nice 2-0 start, Jacksonville has lost four straight. The last two weeks against Peoria Notre Dame and Lincoln were winnable games that got away from the Crimsons. Now, they have to win out to have a chance at the playoffs. They are favored this week but then face Springfield and U High the final two. Southeast is playing for pride at this point, although they have a reasonable chance to win their final two games against Lanphier and Eisenhower. Jacksonville RB Cam Ron Mitchell ran for over 250 yards last week. Jacksonville 40 Southeast 19

Lanphier (0-6) at MacArthur (3-3)
Lanphier is giving up almost 60 points a game and lost their starting QB to injury last week against Rochester. Unsure of his status this week. Should be an easy win for Mac to go to 4-3 before facing SHG in Week 8. MacArthur 53 Lanphier 8

Eisenhower (1-5) at SHG (5-1)
This should be a good opportunity for the Cyclones to try to get healthier and get plenty of playing time for their reserves. Eisenhower has a potentially close game with Southeast Week 9. They are playing lots of underclassmen and only dressed about 35 against Rochester. SHG 49 Eisenhower 6

Springfield (2-4) at Normal West (5-1)
Like Jacksonville, the Senators have to win out to have a chance at the playoffs. Normal West's resume includes victories over two winless teams and one with one win. They were also beaten decisively by Normal Community 43-0 in Week 3. To be fair, Normal Community is a highly rated 7A school. After a rough 0-2 start, Springfield has shown improvement over the last four weeks. Turnovers have been their chief concern. Unlike Normal West, five of the Senators six opponents have winning records. If this was at Memorial Stadium, I'd be very tempted to take Springfield in the upset. As it is at Normal West, I can't quite pull the trigger but expect it to be closer than what Cal Preps and Massey project. Normal West 30 Springfield 21

Rochester (6-0) at Lincoln (5-1)
Lincoln deserves congratulations for beating Jacksonville last week to become playoff eligible for the first time since 1984. They were the underdog in my opinion against the Crimsons but won impressively 41-28. The Railers have some speed in the Carson twins, and they can also throw the ball when needed. They have benefited from a weak schedule, as 3 of their wins have come against 0-6 teams. I expect a large home crowd. The Rockets would like to take the crowd out of the game early. Rochester's defense has been very opportunistic, forcing 8 turnovers last week. They already have more interceptions than all of last season. It was nice to see injured QB-WR Parker Gillespie for the first-time last week not needing to wear a knee brace while on the sidelines. Rochester 51 Lincoln 15

U High (5-1) at Chatham (4-2)
U High has been the surprise of the CS8 this year. They are riding a four-game winning streak, while Chatham has lost their last two games. If U High can get the road win, they have a better than average chance of going 8-1. This is after being 3-6 last year and also needing to replace their 2-year starting QB. If Chatham loses for the third straight week, they could face being 4-4 going into a Week 9 game at Lincoln. If they end up 5-4, they will be on the road against an 8-1 or 9-0 team in the 1st round of the playoffs. Chatham has only scored 12 and 17 points in their two losses. They have a bend but don't break defense that doesn't give up a ton of points but is also on the field a lot. If the Titans score fewer than 20 points, I expect them to lose. To score enough to win, they are going to have to open up the offense and pass more often than just on 3rd and long. Not sure if OL Mark Helm will play after being injured against SHG. The decisive factor in my view is that Chatham needs this win more than U High, who has already significantly exceeded expectations. Chatham 26 U High 23

All.... The Cycs have had the injury bug and haven't been at 100% since the second quarter of game 1 against Normal Community. 4 to 5 starters depending on who is doing the talking at different times during the first six games. I would not play Friday anyone who even has a hang nail. It's just been one of those years.

Comments in the SJR on last weeks game indicate Coach Allison hopes to have the team back at full strength at playoff time. In todays paper he indicated a possibility that Ethan and Shamus could be back in a couple of weeks.

Week eight against Mac in Decatur is looking like a big positioning game for both schools. That one will be interesting for SHG with their personnel issues. SJR predicition 56-7 is high for the game Friday. Run, run, run get the game over quick before someone else goes down and get out of Dodge! In fact if they choose SHG could run the offense under center not out of the shotgun. For those that don't know the Cycs are playing a backup center who has a broken right hand learning (on the job so to speak) to snap with his left. Several low snaps and some "dribblers" last week in the Titan game that did have an negative effect on the teams timing.

It looks like they took the rain out of the forecast Friday. Fall is here. Windy and a high of 65. Ratsy ☺️

Last edited:
SJR Staff Predictions
Jacksonville 49 Southeast 14
MacArthur 56 Lanphier 6
SHG 56 Eisenhower 7
Normal West 49 Springfield 21
Rochester 49 Lincoln 7
U High 21 Chatham 14

Reactions: FB1976
It is wonderful to see Coach Walworth doing the magic in Normal that he did in Pleasant PLains. And while watching a 6-0 Rochester go to a 5-1 Lincoln after all of the chatter over a cheerleader sign (Facebook fanpage) seems like the game of the week, frankly I see U-High v Chatham being the actual GOTW. I see U-High beating the Titans. Chatham's victories are against teams with a 5-19 record. Their losses are against teams with an 8-4 record. U-High is 5-25, 5-1 respectively. The commonality is U-High beat, by two scores, a MacArthur team which beat Chatham.

Channel 1450 picks are in as well. They have chosen Jacksonville (3-0), MacArthur (3-0), SHG (3-0), Normal West (3-0), Rochester (3-0), and Chatham (2-1).

Reactions: cigaros
South County Mr. Pick'em Predictions
Jacksonville 28 Southeast 22
MacArthur 64 Lanphier 6
SHG 55 Eisenhower 0
Normal West 39 Springfield 21
Rochester 56 Lincoln 14
Chatham 28 U High 21

All.... A public service announcement. ☺️ While not anticipating a large contingent coming from Decatur Eisenhower to the game tonight and even less that tailgate a change has occurred. Shangri-La that beautiful tree lined area where the grills are always fired up and footballs are flying is closed due to all the rain which has made it very muddy. It was pretty wet and sloppy a couple weeks ago at the SHG/Springfield game.

The temporary area will now be the grassy section at the corner of Amos and Washington Street, south of the softball field. Ratsy P.S. Go Cyclones!

jhs had 12 penalties to lincoln's 0. seems a little lopsided to me.
Ouch! Wonder what we will see tonight.

Want to be clear that Bishop Mac deserved to win over Rochester in the 2018 playoffs, but I always wondered how they had over 50 running plays in the game and never held once.

• Haha
Reactions: cigaros and net-se
jhs had 12 penalties to lincoln's 0. seems a little lopsided to me.
At the high school level, there are frequent lopsided, statistics, due to talent, technique, and overall ability levels. Jacksonville got penalty, heavy towards the end of the Rochester game as well.

At the high school level, there are frequent lopsided, statistics, due to talent, technique, and overall ability levels. Jacksonville got penalty, heavy towards the end of the Rochester game as well.
since this is my 35th year of coaching football, i pretty much understand. 12 penalties-0 penalties is overly lopsided. mark grounds coached teams are for the most part pretty disciplined.

Final Scores
Turning out to be all blowouts tonight.

Rochester 55 Lincoln 0. Nolan Mrozowski had two TD's (1 rushing/1 receiving) and Henry Buecker had 2 pick 6's to put Rochester up 41-0 early in the 2nd quarter, with the running clock starting at that point.

SHG 64 Eisenhower 6.

MacArthur 54 Lanphier 0.

Jacksonville 35 Southeast 8. The Crimsons keep their playoff hopes alive.

Chatham 35 U High 0. The Titans end their two-game losing streak in an impressive fashion, while U High loses for the first time since Week 2. Did not expect the game to be this one-sided.

Normal West 35 Springfield 7. This ends the Senators playoff hopes.

Last edited:
Ouch! Wonder what we will see tonight.

Want to be clear that Bishop Mac deserved to win over Rochester in the 2018 playoffs, but I always wondered how they had over 50 running plays in the game and never held once.
It will always be a mystery. Especially to those of us who watched at field level.

Reactions: rocketnation
Final Scores
Turning out to be all blowouts tonight.

Rochester 55 Lincoln 0. Nolan Mrozowski had three TD's (2 rushing/1 receiving) and Henry Buecker had 2 pick 6's to put Rochester up 41-0 early in the 2nd quarter, with the running clock starting at that point.

SHG 64 Eisenhower 6.

MacArthur 54 Lanphier 0.

Jacksonville 35 Southeast 8. The Crimsons keep their playoff hopes alive.

Chatham 35 U High 0. The Titans end their two-game losing streak in an impressive fashion, while U High loses for the first time since Week 2. Did not expect the game to be this one-sided.

Normal West 35 Springfield 7. This ends the Senators playoff hopes.
Will be interested in finding out the specifics of the Chatham-U High game. This win by the Titans and the Rockets' victory over Peoria High week one are thus far the most impressive CS8 member team wins this year, in my most humble opinion. 35-0? I can't believe that this being a Titan home game explains the whole story.

Will be interested in finding out the specifics of the Chatham-U High game. This win by the Titans and the Rockets' victory over Peoria High week one are thus far the most impressive CS8 member team wins this year, in my most humble opinion. 35-0? I can't believe that this being a Titan home game explains the whole story.
Heard much of the 3rd quarter coming back from Lincoln. It could have been even worse than the final score. Chatham returned the game's opening kickoff to U High's 25 but failed to score. To start the 2nd half, U High mishandled the kickoff and the Titans recovered at the Pioneers 20. Chatham scored only to have it called back on a penalty, then missed a FG. Sounds like the Pioneers could generate no offense after scoring at least 28 a game (except against SHG) and over 60 against Lanphier and Urbana.

Reactions: cigaros and net-se
Week 8 Matchups and a Few Observations
Champaign Centennial (5-2) at Eisenhower (1-6)
Chatham (5-2) at Rochester (7-0)
SHG (6-1) at MacArthur (4-3)
Springfield (2-5) at Jacksonville (3-4)
Lincoln (5-2) at U High (5-2)
Southeast (0-7) at Lanphier (0-7)

After a week in which the closest margin of victory was 27 points, all of the Week 8 games with the exception of Centennial vs Eisenhower have the potential to be interesting and/or competitive.

Chatham needed a good performance after back-to-back losses, and they got it. They continued their run-first approach but did change things up by getting back up QB Brady Dwyer a number of carries at RB. Having 2 QB's in the backfield also makes trick plays a possibility. Expecting a very large crowd at Rocket Booster stadium for senior night. Chatham always brings a good crowd for their road games.

MacArthur is the only CS8 school that has won in the past against each of the conferences "Big 3": Chatham, Rochester, and SHG. Each of those victories has occurred in Decatur. SHG would love a start next Friday like they had in Chatham where they stormed out to a quick 21-0 lead. Not sure if Mac can pull off the upset but watch what the score is after one quarter. When Mac beat Rochester in 2014, I swear the crowd grew by several hundred at halftime, when the word went out that the Generals were ahead 32-14.

Jacksonville has another must win week with a home game against Springfield. After watching Lincoln last night, I'm surprised the Crimsons lost to the Railers in Week 6. However, hat tip to Net-Se for pointing out the penalty disparity in that game. 12-0 is very hard to explain.

Lincoln and U High both had rough weeks, losing by a combined 90-0. Expect U High to get its 6th win at home, but this is an opportunity for Lincoln to show better than they did last night.

Either Southeast or Lanphier will get their first win. This is Lanphier's best chance. If the Spartans lose, they still have a chance in Week 9 against Eisenhower.

Reactions: net-se and FB1976
All.... Work is done at the MacArthur stadium and the Generals played there Friday. New stands were installed on the home side not sure what else.

A couple of years ago the AD's for both Decatur schools sent the school district a formal request for turf and the advantages it would bring. District turned them down. It's going to rain with wind the entire day in Decatur. The field will be a mess by the end of the game. Ratsy

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT