ADVERTISEMENT

Bears

Lol
Well he has 2 Bachelors
Fields was studying consumer and financial services? LMAO and he didn’t graduate! Hahaha

Also Fields aptitude test was based on a physiologist and Mark Sanchez. Not sure how much I believe it but hope it’s true since he is our QB

Also Fields aptitude test was based on a physiologist and Mark Sanchez. Not sure how much I believe it but hope it’s true since he is our QB
The doctor who did the test has 3 PHDs, so I would assume you would think he was smart enough to assess

Reactions: corey90
I disagree with Corey on 2 of his 3 points. I think Fields is plenty smart and I think he has the tools and talent to be a better NFL QB than Jones. The 1 point that’s hard to argue against is how terrible the Bears have been historically at developing young quarterbacks. Let’s hope Nagy learned some lessons from how he handled Mitch.

Reactions: Gene K.
I disagree with Corey on 2 of his 3 points. I think Fields is plenty smart and I think he has the tools and talent to be a better NFL QB than Jones. The 1 point that’s hard to argue against is how terrible the Bears have been historically at developing young quarterbacks. Let’s hope Nagy learned some lessons from how he handled Mitch.

Lets be clear. I never said Fields wasn’t smart. I said Jones was the smartest guy in the draft and would learn faster. I also never said Fields doesn’t have the tools to be a good QB. I said Jones would be a better NFL QB. So you can’t disagree on the 2-3 points because I didn’t say 2 of the 3. I also said I hope I am wrong because Fields is our QB like it or not he is here now so I will root for him. 😊

I guess it’s because

He completed his Bachelor of Arts in Communication and Information Sciences in December 2019 and is currently completing his Masters of Sports Hospitality with an expected graduation date of December 2020.

couple that with he ran a pro style offense at Alabama and will be playing for the best coach of all time. I think he will have no problem learning an NFL offense
Good at least he will have something to fall back on when he's a bust.

Were there even any good LT in this draft. All the guys I saw drafted look like they should be playing inside.

Not great at LT, but anything would be an upgrade from Leno. He's a turnstile.

"Neither should have gone round 1. " What? This is a departure from pretty much every scout and expert in the NFL.

I'm saying when all is said and done with these two, I don't believe the 1st round pick will have been a good spot for either. Ryan Leaf was a consensus 1st rounder. So was Mitch. See what happened there?

Reactions: Blue Ruin
Lets be clear. I never said Fields wasn’t smart. I said Jones was the smartest guy in the draft and would learn faster. I also never said Fields doesn’t have the tools to be a good QB. I said Jones would be a better NFL QB. So you can’t disagree on the 2-3 points because I didn’t say 2 of the 3. I also said I hope I am wrong because Fields is our QB like it or not he is here now so I will root for him. 😊
Look the only smarts that matter in this context are football smarts and there’s no evidence in that specific category that Jones is smarter than Fields which is what you said or at least strongly inferred. As far as the other point, you may not have said Fields doesn’t have the tools to be a good QB but you did clearly say than Jones will be the better QB which I also disagree with. So yeah, I still disagree with 2 out of 3.

That said, I agree with you that we both hope you are wrong too

I'm saying when all is said and done with these two, I don't believe the 1st round pick will have been a good spot for either. Ryan Leaf was a consensus 1st rounder. So was Mitch. See what happened there?

you are dating yourself with the Leaf reference. A younger guy would have listed Johnny Manziel, or RG3 or Tim Tebow. 😀

I understand your point but all we can go off of now is college performance and potential. I feel a lot better about Fields than I did Trubisky.

kinda funny that pretty much every professional sports writer and draft analyst likes the move but the guys on this board.... well they’re the guys on this board.

you are dating yourself with the Leaf reference. A younger guy would have listed Johnny Manziel, or RG3 or Tim Tebow. 😀

I understand your point but all we can go off of now is college performance and potential. I feel a lot better about Fields than I did Trubisky.

kinda funny that pretty much every professional sports writer and draft analyst likes the move but the guys on this board.... well they’re the guys on this board.
Mark
We can agree to disagree which QB will turn out better. I said in an earlier thread that Jones was better off with the Patriots as did a few other posters. I also said Fields was a better fit for the Bears as did other posters. The one thing that makes Fields better for the Bears is his running ability. That can also be his down fall if he gets hurt. This is the NFL and getting hit by bigger faster players isn’t a good idea for a QB who has been hurt in college. I hope the Bears help protect him and Justin learns to get rid of the ball quickly and not run to stretch the play.

Reactions: markmacaluso
Tim Tebow had his glory days, his seasons in the sun. Look up his history on Wikipedia: HS All-American, HS state title, Heisman as a sophomore at Florida, two BCS championsips, SEC all-time leader in at least six categories, holder of six franchise records for the Denver Broncos.

Last edited:

Only four NFL teams have used the test to evaluate players, so there's not a lot of data to evaluate the test. We don't know if there's a correlation between a player's score and his performance on the field. Joe Burrow posted a high score but injured his knee.

These are the eight cognitive skills.
  • Sustained attention
  • Resistance to distraction
  • Speed of Information processing
  • Cognitive flexibility
  • Multitasking
  • Working memory
  • Category Formation
  • Pattern Recognition
The Wonderlich test, used by teams for years, is more like an IQ test. Researchers have shown that there is no relation between a player's W score and his success on the field.

Last edited:
Reactions: corey90
Yeah that sounds good but I am not sure what his college gpa is or if he even graduated with a degree? Their is also a cloud surrounding him that he never attended classes only did on-courses. Maybe you can find out if he graduated or what his college gpa was. All I could find is he had a 3.9 gpa out of HS. He also transferred to OSU after he couldn’t win the starting job from Jake Fromm at Georgia. Meanwhile Jones has a double bachelor degree and will graduate with a Master’s with a 4.0 gpa.
You have no place questioning the dude

Reactions: mchsalumni
As things shook out, I can say I am pretty happy with how things went for the Bears. I would like to have seen Jones instead of Fields. But Fields seems to be the better pick for the Bears system and what Nagy wants to do. You can't argue with that. They are getting the guy they feel is best for the offensive scheme.

But, whoever keeps saying Fields is more mobile than Jones as if it means more, stop it. Being more mobile doesn't mean a better chance of winning a SB. And that's the ultimate goal, right? The game isn't changing that much where a mobile QB is more valuable. In some cases it can be a detriment.

If you look back on every Super Bowl winning QB since 2000, I'd say only three were won by QBs I'd consider mobile. And in the last ten, two were mobile. Mobility is nice, but I think in a lot of cases it can be overrated. If I had to choose between the two at the NFL level I'd rather have a very good pocket passer who can run once in a while than a guy who is more mobile but not as good in the pocket.

It seems like every time a team beats a mobile QB has done it the same way. They keep him in the pocket and make him beat them by throwing the football. Now that the Bears have chosen Fields, I hope he plays well. Of course he'll be better than Mitch. But, that bar was very low.

We are analyzing NFL players now based on GPA and majors? Are you kidding?
Yeah, no sh*t. Isn't that ridiculous? GPA, majors, degrees don't mean a damned thing when a guy steps onto the field in an NFL game. And all that crap doesn't mean anything about most real world intelligence either.

Reactions: epicbret

The Indians game we were up 35-7. He admits he lost focus in that one. His numbers were great before the second INT.

So a kid who went 39-61 for 580 yards, 7 TDs and one pick against Clemson and Alabama in the playoffs is bad at big games?

Reactions: kkhawk

Sorry for the dated reference and sharing an opinion. I'll check with you prior to posting an opinion moving forward to see if it meets your approval.

As things shook out, I can say I am pretty happy with how things went for the Bears. I would like to have seen Jones instead of Fields. But Fields seems to be the better pick for the Bears system and what Nagy wants to do. You can't argue with that. They are getting the guy they feel is best for the offensive scheme.

But, whoever keeps saying Fields is more mobile than Jones as if it means more, stop it. Being more mobile doesn't mean a better chance of winning a SB. And that's the ultimate goal, right? The game isn't changing that much where a mobile QB is more valuable. In some cases it can be a detriment.

If you look back on every Super Bowl winning QB since 2000, I'd say only three were won by QBs I'd consider mobile. And in the last ten, two were mobile. Mobility is nice, but I think in a lot of cases it can be overrated. If I had to choose between the two at the NFL level I'd rather have a very good pocket passer who can run once in a while than a guy who is more mobile but not as good in the pocket.

It seems like every time a team beats a mobile QB has done it the same way. They keep him in the pocket and make him beat them by throwing the football. Now that the Bears have chosen Fields, I hope he plays well. Of course he'll be better than Mitch. But, that bar was very low.
Thanks LTHS
I agree with everything you said. It worked out great for the Bears & Patriots. I hope Fields is a passer before a runner. He is no doubt an upgrade from Trubisky. Let’s hope the Bears can coach him. Cross my fingers.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
Sorry for the dated reference and sharing an opinion. I'll check with you prior to posting an opinion moving forward to see if it meets your approval.
Damn...looks like someone's joke detector is broken. I even put a smiley face at the end. Lighten up Francis, you don't have to send me your draft posts for approval. I wouldn't want to be a bottleneck to you sharing your nuggets of wisdom.

• Haha
Reactions: mchsalumni
Thanks LTHS
I agree with everything you said. It worked out great for the Bears & Patriots. I hope Fields is a passer before a runner. He is no doubt an upgrade from Trubisky. Let’s hope the Bears can coach him. Cross my fingers.
He is 100% a passer first. He completed 70% of his passes this year. As long as he progresses in his vision, which is pretty good already, he will be a huge upgrade from Nagy.

Reactions: kkhawk and corey90
Disagree
I will take a smart guy over a dummy especially at the QB position. If I remember right their were some guys on here questioning Trubiskys intelligence. 😂

The Indians game we were up 35-7. He admits he lost focus in that one. His numbers were great before the second INT.

So a kid who went 39-61 for 580 yards, 7 TDs and one pick against Clemson and Alabama in the playoffs is bad at big games?
Convenient that you lumped the Clemson and Bama game together. Clemson’s D was not great this year. They got torched by ND in south bend too.

what’s your excuse for this performance?

Convenient that you lumped the Clemson and Bama game together. Clemson’s D was not great this year. They got torched by ND in south bend too.

You have your mind made up. He is doomed to stink in big games. Gotcha.

Next.

You have your mind made up. He is doomed to stink in big games. Gotcha.

Next.
More worried that he will stink in all the games. I will happily eat crow but OSU and Bears quarterbacks’ histories say different. He was widely expected to be the 2nd best QB going into the season but somehow ended up being the 4th best after all the evaluations by the teams picking in the top 10.

I lumped them together as big games. The narrative here is that he isn’t good in big games. I vehemently disagree.

Missing 2 OL starters and his best WR against NU. And NU had a pretty good defense.

I’m not giving excuses. I’m explaining what happened. I don’t need to pump him up or make excuses for him. You obviously don’t like him and you are welcome to your own opinion. Most people who know disagree with your assessment.

Reactions: kkhawk
I think Morrissey and Telander are OK with it. But, in reading their columns, Telander wonders why Fields went down to number 11 and also wonders how much longer he would have been on the board if the Bears didn't pick him at number 11. Morrissey simply doesn't trust the Bears to make Fields into a very good NFL QB.

I said before, I would have preferred Jones instead. But I am OK with the pick. I think once they moved up, they had to draft a QB. I think Foles and Dalton will be gone next year anyway. Maybe one of them goes this year. Might as well get what they can out of them and have both of them help Fields.

Reactions: markmacaluso
Fans can question whoever we want.
Not all fans. I don't mind some fans questioning and criticizing here and there as long as they know what the hell they are talking about. But, I have no patience with those who were saying, "give up whatever it takes to get Watson." In other words, give the other team whatever they want. Funny how no one made a deal to get Watson.

I am happy there was no deal for Watson or Wilson. Both had a price tag too high and I said so back then. And the Bears most likely wouldn't have gotten Tevin Jenkins either. And who knows who they would have had to give up on the current team to get either of those two.

Sometimes the best deal is the one you don't make.

ADVERTISEMENT