ADVERTISEMENT

Bears

I don’t understand the fans that have been screaming for Fields to start…
This situation just isn’t good. Especially today. One of the worst O lines vs one of the best defensive fronts. I realize Dalton probably would have started if healthy, but I know many fans were “happy” Dalton was out.
Anyone really think this bloodbath is good for his development?

Fields looks terrible he is equally as bad as the OL I guess there is still hope for him but the early returns don’t look good.

Corey waiting for your answer?

How many more times do we have to watch Miles Garrett crush our star QB before you answer?
Lol
The answer is no. Build around him. First Fields wasn’t my first pick to build around but he is who they chose so I would build around him. Nagy is a problem, he is terrible and certainly doesn’t help the situation. You can blame the offensive line and rightly so but they are only part of the problem. I still insist you build this team around a franchise QB, I am not giving up on Fields just yet but to be very clear I wanted Trevor Lawrence first, if not him Mac Jones. The Bears choose Fields. Okay let’s see how they build around him? So far not looking good but with Nagy it might be impossible. Nagy needs to go. He isn’t a good NFL coach period.

Reactions: kkhawk
I think you got Jones right, I did not.

But Corey I don't even see Bellichek being successful with the Bears current o line and Fields.

By the time the Bears get 3 more good linemen in the draft, Fields will be damaged goods.

• Haha
Reactions: Gene K.
I think you got Jones right, I did not.

But Corey I don't even see Bellichek being successful with the Bears current o line and Fields.

By the time the Bears get 3 more good linemen in the draft, Fields will be damaged goods.
You could be right but Nagy play calling isn’t helping him. This coach might be the worse in the league. That’s not a good combo when you have a rookie QB. Damn I actually feel sorry for our QB.

Reactions: Wassup13
They mentioned in the first game that Fields held the ball longer than any other QB during preseason play. Game is a lot faster during the regular season. He had a chance to get rid of the ball on a few of the sacks but held on to it. Didn’t have to throw into many tight windows at OSU with the separation in his receivers created. He will need to be able to do that or he will not last night matter how the line plays.

Reactions: ClownBaby
They mentioned in the first game that Fields held the ball longer than any other QB during preseason play. Game is a lot faster during the regular season. He had a chance to get rid of the ball on a few of the sacks but held on to it. Didn’t have to throw into many tight windows at OSU with the separation in his receivers created. He will need to be able to do that or he will not last night matter how the line plays.

So when he was hanging on to the football who did you see open on the Bears?

Bears Talent Grades

Bears line is grade D-
Receiver core is D+
RB grade B
Coaching F

So when he was hanging on to the football who did you see open on the Bears?

Bears Talent Grades

Bears line is grade D-
Receiver core is D+
RB grade B
Coaching F
Pretty hard to tell with the angles they provide but throwing the ball away is always an option.

Reactions: Wassup13
The kid got his shot and it wasn't pretty. He wasn't given much time by the OL to throw and the play calling didn't help him, he was a sitting duck.

Montgomery had 10 carries, that was it. In order to have any success they need to figure out the run game.

Field's will get better and fans just need to be patient. In the end probably won't me Mahomes, Allen, or Brady, but I believe he will be a solid NFL QB, that is if the Bears put him in the right situation. I have little faith in that happening.

• Haha
Reactions: Gene K. and corey90
Nagy's play calling was inexcusable today. I've never been a "this guy needs to be fired" type of fan, but I would not mind seeing this guy go back to selling houses in Eastern PA.

On the PUP list so out the first 6 weeks
When I saw this, I originally thought it was 8 weeks. I'm glad I was wrong.

Reactions: flyerforlife
It wasn't even the play calling necessarily that that was horrible today. Most of these games are won and lost during the week when the strategy, blocking schemes, down and distance calls as well as a contingency plan are formed. The Bears coaches get an F. They knew the Browns line had two number one picks with Garrett being the 1st overall. A pass rush can be slowed and even stopped with the proper scheming. The coaches did not do anything to help the offensive line. At least try to run the darned ball. A terrible display.

I don’t understand the fans that have been screaming for Fields to start…
This situation just isn’t good. Especially today. One of the worst O lines vs one of the best defensive fronts. I realize Dalton probably would have started if healthy, but I know many fans were “happy” Dalton was out.
Anyone really think this bloodbath is good for his development?
My thoughts are to let Fields play and get the experience. This team isn’t coming close to sniffing the super bowl or conference title so let Fields get the experience.

Every rookie/young QB is going to take lumps early so let’s hurry up and get those out of the way so he’s better at years end and certainly for next year.

I’d rather have Fields go into next year having 10+ starts under his belt rather than one. Even if his 10 starts are 2-8.

Only one way to get experience - play.

Reactions: flyerforlife
Random thoughts:

Robinson and Hicks are FA at EOY. W this level of suck…no way they come back.

Why doesn’t Nagy run an offense that exploits Fields strengths? Would you run Lamar Jackson’s offense with Payton Manning under center?

Why are there no designed runs for Fields? He’s 240lb and runs a 4.4.

Why have our QBs never audibled under Nagy? 3rd and 1 yesterday we ran a toss sweep to the left in which the Bears were out numbered. To the right, the numbers were in our favor.

Nagy’s first year we had a nice goal line/short yardage package where Hicks and Mack would come into the offensive backfield. Why did that go away? W how bad our OL is, brining those dudes in the add some explosive strength would help.

Why do we never throw screens? Late last year we had a good thing going w TE screens.

How can you expect our Qb’s to believe in anything Nagy says? How can you trust his vision and beliefs? His offensive philosophy?
- You have 3 QBs that have been successful in the past and have had great coaching at various stops. They have obviously done things different in other organizations and have had success. Aren’t they at a point where they say “This dude doesn’t know what he’s doing and we have no belief in his play calls and game plans.”

Most frustrating, there is no fix in site other than firing everyone and starting over. New play caller won’t do it. Firing Nagy now won’t do it. Firing Nagy/Pace right now won’t do it. Must have someone else at the top calling the shots and hiring a new GM and HC. The last three HC hires are brutal. Who’s making these decisions is the problem.

Colin, you finally got it completely right in your last two sentences. I have seen some good and valid points made here.

But, I have been saying for years and somewhere here in the miles of Bears threads. The actual problem with this organization ultimately comes back to the owners. It's frustrating to me that most people don't even mention ownership when it comes to the Bears' failures over the decades. And it's especially frustrating that the media very rarely mentions ownership when criticizing the team. They are the ones who have a bigger audience. Oh sure, we'll get the obligatory article that sort of criticizes the owners. Or it may get mentions slightly on the radio before moving to another person to blame. The media needs to hammer this and they fail to.

It's embarrassing that this team has so many fans and the owners put such a poor product on the field year after year. You really can't count the 1985 Bears or teams of the 1980s as teams that the McCaskeys put together. Ever since that all ended, the Bears have been pretty much irrelevant in the league. Yeah they had some pretty good teams. But since the 1980s I haven't looked at one Bears team throughout the season and thought they could win a championship. That's on the owners.

I don't see a whole bunch of coaches or players who leave the Bears and go on to great careers. That's on the owners. They hired them. Sure there have been a few here and there. But those were guys I thought the Bears should have kept as they were exiting. One of them was announcing the game yesterday. Greg Olsen. This has been going on with the McCaskeys for decades.

I believe something is going to happen and changes will occur in that organization when Virginia passes. It's very sad to have to say that.

All this, and I still see articles and radio personalities not mentioning what the real problem is. I see fans saying fire this guy and that guy, or blow it up and start again. Start again for what? To end up where we are again in three or four years? Fire this guy or that guy, for what? To hire someone else who will end up just as bad or worse? The McCaskeys have brought perpetual failure to that organization and they are the ones who need to go. And if people say, you can't fire the owners. Well, you can stop going to the damned games!

Not that this is related to the exact topic on hand but it’s as good a place to rant. I’m a Packer fan. Yes, that’s my problem so save it. Kills me when these Bears fans flood Facebook with phony hatred and memes when there hasn’t be a rivalry since hell I don’t know when. Rodgers pulls another out of his rump last night and it’s crickets. Bears fans are last people that should criticize GB and they need to get their house in order. I’m sure they’ll be back with the next GB loss. Sorry I’m done, back to Bear talk.

My thoughts are to let Fields play and get the experience. This team isn’t coming close to sniffing the super bowl or conference title so let Fields get the experience.

Every rookie/young QB is going to take lumps early so let’s hurry up and get those out of the way so he’s better at years end and certainly for next year.

I’d rather have Fields go into next year having 10+ starts under his belt rather than one. Even if his 10 starts are 2-8.

Only one way to get experience - play.
I’d be fine with him playing if either or both of the following were true:
1. The O line gets substantially better
2. Nagy calls plays that protect Fields and offset the terrible O line.

I was legit worried that the kid was gonna get folded up and suffer an injury.
I don’t think the Cleveland experience did much for Fields’ development. I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Not that this is related to the exact topic on hand but it’s as good a place to rant. I’m a Packer fan. Yes, that’s my problem so save it. Kills me when these Bears fans flood Facebook with phony hatred and memes when there hasn’t be a rivalry since hell I don’t know when. Rodgers pulls another out of his rump last night and it’s crickets. Bears fans are last people that should criticize GB and they need to get their house in order. I’m sure they’ll be back with the next GB loss. Sorry I’m done, back to Bear talk.
For as great as Rodgers is he has started as many Super Bowls as Rex Grossman.

I’d be fine with him playing if either or both of the following were true:
1. The O line gets substantially better
2. Nagy calls plays that protect Fields and offset the terrible O line.

I was legit worried that the kid was gonna get folded up and suffer an injury.
I don’t think the Cleveland experience did much for Fields’ development. I could be wrong.
THIS ^^^

This kid does have a chance to be a good (maybe great) QB if they don't get him killed first. If the 2 things above don't happen, let Andy Dalton get sacked 50 times a game, let them go 1 - 16 so they have a chance at picking another OL with a back injury that has no chance of helping us again.

Nothing will change until an apocalyptic event somehow takes the entire McCaskey family out of pro football forever.

I can live with that. And the Bears haven’t won one in 36 years. I expect more for a city 30 times bigger.
Me too but I have accepted the reality that the Bears are doomed with current ownership. Lightning was captured in a bottle in 85.

That said, I will never root for the Packers under any circumstances and I willfully hope that bad things ( excluding injuries) happen to them every week. I have nothing else to cheer for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT