ADVERTISEMENT

Bears

Pace had to do this. Saved himself another year from the unemployment line. It’s on Nagy though to use him right. He has Mahones athletic ability

Reactions: stl705
Holding my breath on that one, I'm good with Fields but Jones from Bama would have been another bust like Trubisky.

I still don't like continuing to trade away draft picks.

I would have been most happy picking offensive linemen.with the first 4 picks.

Jones will be the better QB . We can talk after they both play. The Bears have no clue. Patriots got what they needed. I was never sold on Fields and believe he will be very average I just hope that he is better than Trubisky.

Not convinced with fields. Seemed to struggle against the good teams. Also who is the last OSU QB to be successful in the NFL? It is one thing to be throwing to wide open athletes at the horseshoe but does he have the arm to do that in tight windows in the NFL? Hopefully as a bears fan but at some point you need a line to protect the qb

Jones will be the better QB . We can talk after they both play. The Bears have no clue. Patriots got what they needed. I was never sold on Fields and believe he will be very average I just hope that he is better than Trubisky.

Billichik can make.anyone good.

I would have been most happy if the Bears did not trade any picks and picked all o linemen.

Reactions: mchsalumni
Not convinced with fields. Seemed to struggle against the good teams. Also who is the last OSU QB to be successful in the NFL? It is one thing to be throwing to wide open athletes at the horseshoe but does he have the arm to do that in tight windows in the NFL? Hopefully as a bears fan but at some point you need a line to protect the qb
They better pick linemen now.

Billichik can make.anyone good.

I would have been most happy if the Bears did not trade any picks and picked all o linemen.
Pick all lineman for who? The red rocket? My god. Hopefully Fields can play better that the red rocket and Trubisky or the Bears are a bust again.

Loved the pick! A year ago, Fields was regarded as 2 overall pick. I wasn’t sold on Jones personally and think he’ll be a bust.

Fields looked good against a pretty good team in Clemson round 1 of playoffs this past season. 6 touchdowns against the Tigers D.

Reactions: missingwalter
Pats is the perfect place for Jones. Fields is more mobile and with the Bears line you need to run. Jones had a great year but he had 2 of the best WR in College to throw to, both taken in the top ten, the best RB in the draft to hand off too and the traditionally best offensive line in college to block for him...

I think he is a bust but what do I know? Over the last two years he had one great game against Clemson and three clunkers against the other top tier teams. I just don’t see it.

Jones played with 4 other first rounders at Alabama. One year. You’re right we will see how this plays out but it was a low risk for what many felt was the second best QB in the draft.

He is not mobile enough for today's game but Billichek teaches QB's to get rid of the ball fast so it may work out with the Pats but no other team.

I don’t disagree but thats no excuse for not taking him. The Bears suck and now we’re making excuses for why we shouldn’t pick a player. You say he is a perfect fit for the Patriots and if I were Mac Jones I would be very happy. Like they said he played for the best college football coach of all time and now he will play for the best NFL coach of all time. He will make New England relevant again. Jones was the smartest player in the draft and he has a chip on his shoulder for being underestimated. This guy is going to do great. On the other hand we got Fields who actually looked shocked and disappointed. Heck he couldn’t even say the Bears name when asked how he felt being drafted by the Bears. This is another blunder by the Bears management.
I hope I am wrong. Damn!

Reactions: Blue Ruin
Jones played with 4 other first rounders at Alabama. One year. You’re right we will see how this plays out but it was a low risk for what many felt was the second best QB in the draft.

Yup and he played great with all of them. Those guys didn’t throw the ball to their self. He was the leader who had one of the highest passer ratings in college football and made very few mistakes.

I agree with you Corey. I was hoping they would draft Jones too. On the other hand, I was expecting them to pick Fields. They walked past Mahomes and Watson. Both are very athletic and successful. Fields is athletic and moves better than Jones. That is more of Nagy's style in a QB. They tried everything with Trubisky, including making him a mobile QB.

The question now is, can they make Fields a good NFL QB? With their track record, I wouldn't bet for it.

Reactions: McCaravan
Yup and he played great with all of them. Those guys didn’t throw the ball to their self. He was the leader who had one of the highest passer ratings in college football and made very few mistakes.
Can't disagree with you Corey. Let's see who progresses faster, Fields or Jones.

They got their 2nd and 3rd rounder then nothing to the 6th, so they can’t screw it up. (Pause for laughter). They need OL and a Corner.

They got their 2nd and 3rd rounder then nothing to the 6th, so they can’t screw it up. (Pause for laughter). They need OL and a Corner.
I think pace did a good job here. You're right. They got to keep their 2nd and 3rd round picks. I don't think they gave up too much.

Reactions: markmacaluso
As long as this doesn't end up as a 14 page Bears thread, I'm open to anything with this draft.

Pick all lineman for who? The red rocket? My god. Hopefully Fields can play better that the red rocket and Trubisky or the Bears are a bust again.
It doesn't matter for who. You do realize football starts at the line. Without a left tackle this team is screwed and they still have Jay Leno in that slot. Did I miss a meeting where left tackle doesn't matter anymore?

Let's see who progresses faster, Fields or Jones.

I'm going to guess both will be average. Neither should have gone round 1. The top 3 were definitely right and I think Vance has the best shot of being a star.

Meh. Not really impressed. I think it’s more fun finding under the radar talent in the later rounds. First round QB picks are too often disappointing.

It doesn't matter for who. You do realize football starts at the line. Without a left tackle this team is screwed and they still have Jay Leno in that slot. Did I miss a meeting where left tackle doesn't matter anymore?
Were there even any good LT in this draft. All the guys I saw drafted look like they should be playing inside.

Reactions: missingwalter
I like the pick. While I didn't advocate for drafting a qb in the first round, I do believe the Bears got value with this trade up. Fields could be the #2 qb in the draft this year. Now, get him some protection! Left tackle please!!!

The kid just turned 22 years old, and he has a lot of learning/developing to do. If all goes as planned, he won't see a lot of action this year. I am willing to cut him and the Bears some slack on this until 2022. I'm assuming Dalton is here for 2021 only and if they do sign him for 2022 it will be as a backup.

Reactions: markmacaluso
The kid just turned 22 years old, and he has a lot of learning/developing to do. If all goes as planned, he won't see a lot of action this year. I am willing to cut him and the Bears some slack on this until 2022. I'm assuming Dalton is here for 2021 only and if they do sign him for 2022 it will be as a backup.
He will play in 2021, maybe not to start the year but he will play.

Give their history not sure how anyone could feel comfortable with a Bears first round pick, also whats with having so many years with no first round pick? Who was the biggest bust on the list below, lots of good options.

1990 Mark Carrier
1991 Stan Thomas
1992 Alonzon Spellman
1993 Curtis Conway
1994 John Thierry
1995 Rashan Salaam
1996 Walt Harris
1997 No Pick
1998 Curtis Enis
1999 Cade McNown
2000 Brian Urlacher
2001 David Terrell
2002 Marc Colombo
2003 Michael Haynes and Rex Grossman
2004 Tommie Harris
2005 Cedric Benson
2006 No Pick
2007 Greg Olsen
2008 Chris Williams
2009 No Pick
2010 No Pick

2011 Gabe Carimi
2012 Shea McClellin
2013 Kyle Long
2014 Kyle Fuller
2015 Kevin White
2016 Leonard Floyd
2017 Mitch Trubisky
2018 Roquan Smith
2019 No Pick
2020 No Pick

2021 Justin Fields
2022 No Pick

He will play in 2021, maybe not to start the year but he will play.
I don't doubt that he will play at some point in 2021 because rare is the NFL QB who starts and finishes every single game.

If Fields starts ahead of a healthy Dalton, at any point of the season, then that's a pretty costly backup QB that the Bears just signed. If they really think that Fields will work his way into the starting role in his rookie season, then why sign Dalton to a one year $10MM deal and pay dearly in draft choices for a QB who just turned 22 and has never taken a snap in the league ? If that's the case, then they should have kept Trubisky and saved themselves $7.5MM (the difference between Dalton's and Trubisky's 2021 salaries).

I gotta believe they try and release/trade Foles and his salary if they can.

Last edited:
The franchise just seems so desperate. If I'm wrong I'll be the first to admit it but Fields just doesn't impress me.

Give their history not sure how anyone could feel comfortable with a Bears first round pick, also whats with having so many years with no first round pick? Who was the biggest bust on the list below, lots of good options.

1990 Mark Carrier
1991 Stan Thomas
1992 Alonzon Spellman
1993 Curtis Conway
1994 John Thierry
1995 Rashan Salaam
1996 Walt Harris
1997 No Pick
1998 Curtis Enis
1999 Cade McNown
2000 Brian Urlacher
2001 David Terrell
2002 Marc Colombo
2003 Michael Haynes and Rex Grossman
2004 Tommie Harris
2005 Cedric Benson
2006 No Pick
2007 Greg Olsen
2008 Chris Williams
2009 No Pick
2010 No Pick

2011 Gabe Carimi
2012 Shea McClellin
2013 Kyle Long
2014 Kyle Fuller
2015 Kevin White
2016 Leonard Floyd
2017 Mitch Trubisky
2018 Roquan Smith
2019 No Pick
2020 No Pick

2021 Justin Fields
2022 No Pick

Biggest bust was trading Olsen for a third round pick. ;)

Reactions: MC63 and McCaravan
The franchise just seems so desperate. If I'm wrong I'll be the first to admit it but Fields just doesn't impress me.

The problem you have is guys drafting for their jobs and if it doesn’t turn out they move on while the fans are stuck with another 10 years of crap. Successful organizations stock pile draft picks since you have hits and misses but are more likely to hit with more picks but Pace keeps giving up picks trying to make a splash.

Reactions: Gene K.
Would you say that Dalton and Mac Jones have similar skill sets and that their effectiveness benefit largely from surrounding talent? Jones might have been a better complement for this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT