ADVERTISEMENT

So if this IHSA Football lockout ends tomorrow....

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Would your fav program be ready to play and approve getting back on the field within say 2-3 weeks?

Several school districts besides the CPL haven't begun any contact days....and every school district would need to approve getting back to playing etc. and we've seen how that can go.

Thoughts?

I would think that if teams have been doing contact days they could be ready to play a game in 2 weeks, no?

The teams not doing contact days are they doing anything? If they are at least doing some fball activity I think they could pad up and be in ready in two weeks.

I would assume kids are trying to stay in shape but are they football ready with this setback? I think I’d rather have an October through end of December season than spring. I’m not convinced on football in March in Illinois with the weather. I foresee a lot of injuries.

Reactions: Gene K.
What happens to kids that transferred from public to private to get in school learning. Would they be eligible under the special circumstances clause.

I would assume kids are trying to stay in shape but are they football ready with this setback? I think I’d rather have an October through end of December season than spring. I’m not convinced on football in March in Illinois with the weather. I foresee a lot of injuries.
Whats the difference between March and November?

I question the ability of many CPS teams to get rolling given the many obstacles that could be in their ways. Do we think this issue could be part of no quick fall FB turn-around as it could be exclusionary to a large group of players?

Reactions: GhostOfTheGhhost
Teams like MC with numerous returning players can be ready in two weeks, but let’s say the season begins in 3.5 weeks on Oct 16th. We can forget about a traditional season with a State Championship, it’s not going to happen, this fall season will be about getting kids film, noticed and freeing up their Spring schedule for multiple sport athletes. We can have a 7 week season ending on Nov 27th, Thanksgiving weekend, like we normally do, then have a two week conference or Regional Championship or whatever they are planning for the Spring and officially end play on Dec 11th. Merry Christmas to all after that!

I'm thinking Batavia is ready, maybe a week to fine tune and game plan, I'm sure more schools than you think are the same..

Side note, my soon to be 18 year old asked me when and how to register to vote and can't wait for JB to run again.. Now that's what I call being "woke"..

Just so everyone knows contact does mean actual physical contact (blocking and tackling) it only means coaches can have contact with the athletes for workouts I have seen a lot of people not get this and has driven me

A good amount of teams won't be ready. 2wks followed by a controlled scrimmage against another team at the end of 2wks is the best one can do. I'd argue 5wks over 7wks if its all about film and no state series. Teams can schedule who they want rather than picking up at week 2 or 4. Oh, March > December! Too bad we don't have one dome in this cold weather state....maybe NU/NIU/Illini/Halas can open facility for a no fan December experience. Or, a two day long Indy v IL or IL v Michigan at the pro stadiums.

I was trying to go the way back machine and I can't remember if it was 2 or 3, but they certainly get a lot more days of preparing than we did back then.
If I remember doubles started on a wednesday and then it was 1.5 or 2.5 weeks then game week.

I was trying to go the way back machine and I can't remember if it was 2 or 3, but they certainly get a lot more days of preparing than we did back then.

Stopped after 1993. 1994 was when wednesday playoff went away and started season a week earlier.

Ok, but was it 2 weeks of prep or 3?
I remember it was Wednesday, Thursday Friday helmets only. Saturday was full pads on knocking heads. Very clear in my memory having those first day headaches. Preparing all year to start hitting!

The following week it was Monday-Friday doubles. Friday or Saturday was The Inter squad scrimmage. The following Monday was game week and school usually started that week too. So 2.5 weeks of practice before first game.

This was late 90s early 2000s.

Yeah everyone would be ready. Not like it matters. They don’t want us to play. I bet we don’t even get to play in the spring.

Apparently Pritzker walked out of a news conference today upset about answering questions about high school sports. Keep up the pressure! I’m shocked a media member would stray from approved softball questioning.

Apparently Pritzker walked out of a news conference today upset about answering questions about high school sports. Keep up the pressure! I’m shocked a media member would stray from approved softball questioning.
I thought he walked out because they ran out of donuts.

When I played we had two weeks to get ready. Kids will be fine.

LET EM PLAY!

To think every HS program can be ready for physical contact and the conditioning needed in 3 weeks is crazy. If the plan is a 7 game season now and in the spring, why not just wait til the spring? Whats the covid protocol if a number of players test positive? At least in the spring it gives up more time to see if a vaccine or better treatment is readily available.

Reactions: Lead_Senator
To think every HS program can be ready for physical contact and the conditioning needed in 3 weeks is crazy. If the plan is a 7 game season now and in the spring, why not just wait til the spring? Whats the covid protocol if a number of players test positive? At least in the spring it gives up more time to see if a vaccine or better treatment is readily available.
The protocol is likely similar to, or the same as, the other 40 states in the country playing football.

I enjoy these discussions because it keeps that glimmer of light lit that there may still be a fall season but barring a miracle it’s just not gonna happen. We waited too long to put on the pressure and make our voices public. We just accepted what they gave us and convinced ourselves that there was no way a season could happen with all that we were fed and I’m gulity of buying into that as well. Many of these players lives are going to be permanently effected by this in one way or another for the rest of their lives and to them I apologize that we as parents and fans did not do more from the get go. I pray it all works out for them and Colleges take notice of the large pool of talented players we have in Illinois and give them their shot.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT