ADVERTISEMENT

WIU fired head football coach, maybe they should look…

Illgold22

Sep 5, 2005
Right in their own state. It’s not like Gerry Fuast jumping from high school to Notre Dame back in 82. WIU is not as big of jump. They would fools not to look into Coach Zvonar at LW East or go young at look at Jordan Lynch at Mt. Carmel. Both would boost recruiting, booth would have great connections to recruiting in the state, and to grab power 5 looking to transfer down back into the state. Any thoughts on those two possibly getting a look at the gig?

I hear your point.

However, top FCS programs are almost completely transfer-driven. Very different recruiting skill set requiring a network across FBS schools. I think ISU signed 7 or 8 players last year

Not saying either couldn't do the job, but the impact on recruiting would not be as big as you think.

Reactions: mchsalumni
I hear your point.

However, top FCS programs are almost completely transfer-driven. Very different recruiting skill set requiring a network across FBS schools. I think ISU signed 7 or 8 players last year

Not saying either couldn't do the job, but the impact on recruiting would not be as big as you think.
Probably correct, but they are at the lowest point you can be in FCS. Maybe they need to start with someone who would fix the football problem and culture first, and then fix recruiting. More saying the school should fish around the ihsa a bit. Do an interview with the 2. See if the vision would work.

WIU is a shell of the university and campus it was 10-20 years ago. Enrollment on campus is a joke with the Quad City campus the only viable entity financially. An experienced HS coach in the state would not take that job. I believe total enrollment is in the 7,000 range. There are still programs that are offered and accredited but for the most part ISU has the growth in the state of Illinois. Not a great look compared to the seventies a long, long time ago.

Last edited:
Right in their own state. It’s not like Gerry Fuast jumping from high school to Notre Dame back in 82. WIU is not as big of jump. They would fools not to look into Coach Zvonar at LW East or go young at look at Jordan Lynch at Mt. Carmel. Both would boost recruiting, booth would have great connections to recruiting in the state, and to grab power 5 looking to transfer down back into the state. Any thoughts on those two possibly getting a look at the gig?
The guy they just fired played there and his dad used to be the HC many moons ago. He was super young and not ready for the job. Came from NAIA. I’m guessing WIU currently only pays the HC between 100-150k and that’s why they hired such a young guy.

Lynch should only leave MC for NIU.

There’s one obvious choice here and it’s Derrick Leonard. WIU is the perfect fit for him and he’s the perfect fit for WIU. Call him!!!!

The guy they just fired played there and his dad used to be the HC many moons ago. He was super young and not ready for the job. Came from NAIA. I’m guessing WIU currently only pays the HC between 100-150k and that’s why they hired such a young guy.

There’s one obvious choice here and it’s Derrick Leonard. WIU is the perfect fit for him and he’s the perfect fit for WIU. Call him!!!!
Going from small class HS football to FCS would not be the type of candidate WIU is looking for.

Going from small class HS football to FCS would not be the type of candidate WIU is looking for.
It sure is. They have no money. And Derrick would do great things there.

They need someone to bring an exciting offense to bring some energy to that program.

Derrick would recruit the crap out of this state. All his peers love and respect him and would send their kids to play for him.

Reactions: Bwm57
it's either the last stop for some veteran coach finishing out the string or the first stop for an up and comer who will only be there for a couple years.

on another note, they need to move the main campus to the quad cities.

Reactions: WIU78
Jeff Thorne, he is sitting this year out since he wanted to see his son play in college but should be jumping back in the game next year.
Was about to mention him as well. He’d be a great fit.

It’s going to be someone from a small school

Reactions: Graz74
it's either the last stop for some veteran coach finishing out the string or the first stop for an up and comer who will only be there for a couple years.

on another note, they need to move the main campus to the quad cities.
Similar to the move Carthage made…but out of state.

Most established high school coaches in Illinois would have to take a pay cut based on what they were paying Hendrickson. Granted their would be no teaching or Admin duties involved.

Theres a reason hs coaches making the jump to a d1 HC is only discussed on fan message boards.

Maybe Pat Fitzgerald would be looking to move to WIU and build an in state program to highlight his QB son? I believe Colorado may be paving the new trend….

Reactions: MCTD10
As a grad of WIU and who worked there in the 70s, when we had a nationally recognized team, and record enrollment, it is no longer what it was. Had some horrible leadership at the top of the school for a few years and things came crashing down. They are trying to make improvements. Would be a huge gamble for any coach coming in. Except a highly successful Illinois high school coach, who even if he failed at WIU would easily get another great high school gig in Illinois. Plus, they would to really have to like small town living where the nearest big city is Galesburg. Or Peoria even farther. As for Coach Thorne, he does not seem like the guy to do this. Maybe he goes back to a D3 and makes noise as he did at NCC. . Some schools in his former conference could use him!

Theres a reason hs coaches making the jump to a d1 HC is only discussed on fan message boards.
If it were power 5…I get it. But this might actually be the worst job in all of D1 football right now.

Reactions: WIU78
Jordan Langs at Iowa State would be a dynamic hire. Was the DC at Wheaton before starting the program at Indiana Wesleyan.

From what I know, Derek was coveted by EIU (who has had a few recent openings) with some relative seriousness. Don’t believe College level is appealing to him, could’ve easily left by now (even if it weren’t for HC). Certainly think he’s qualified, but staying in Rochester has some pros (at least in his mind/scenario). Definitely would be interesting to see.

Check out the last great football coach at WIU. Darryl Mudra. Passed away last year at age 93. Was at WIU from ‘69 to ‘73 or so. A true winner! Sent from there to Florida State started their turnaround and Bobby Bowden credited him for that. Came back to EIU and won a national championship. Nickname was Dr. Victory!
He was also a world class badminton player! He and Dr. John Leach at Western had some epic battles on the court. Those were the days!!

Reactions: Bwm57
Jordan Langs at Iowa State would be a dynamic hire. Was the DC at Wheaton before starting the program at Indiana Wesleyan.
He has a solid resume but is still only 34 I’m sure WIU is going to want someone more experienced after the disaster with the last young guy.

It sure is. They have no money. And Derrick would do great things there.

They need someone to bring an exciting offense to bring some energy to that program.

Derrick would recruit the crap out of this state. All his peers love and respect him and would send their kids to play for him.
Why on earth would Leonard leave where he is for this?

Looks like salary at WIU is around $200K

From what I know, Derek was coveted by EIU (who has had a few recent openings) with some relative seriousness. Don’t believe College level is appealing to him, could’ve easily left by now (even if it weren’t for HC). Certainly think he’s qualified, but staying in Rochester has some pros (at least in his mind/scenario). Definitely would be interesting to see.
Derrick definitely wants to go college. He has has a few opps but nothing to appealing to him. He has discussed this on record on a podcast. I’m guessing something like Illinois College, Milikin, etc was offered to him.

He wants the challenge of college and that’s why he’d leave. Would also triple his salary + bonus’s. Any maybe 5 years down the road he’s built a program into something special and is a name for power 5 jobs.

He’s a Hc and will only leave for the right HC position.

Also, what’s the risk for him?
Let’s say he goes to WIU and stinks up the place. High schools all over the place would be pounding down his door to have him come to their place.

He has a solid resume but is still only 34 I’m sure WIU is going to want someone more experienced after the disaster with the last young guy.
They don’t have any money. They can’t go after a seasoned coach. They need someone who’s going to bring energy to the program and who wants to use it as a spring board to his next job. Just like these guys have done: Brian Kelly, Dino Babers, Harbaugh, Dave Doren, Pj Fleck, etc.

That place is a train wreck.

They don’t have any money. They can’t go after a seasoned coach. They need someone who’s going to bring energy to the program and who wants to use it as a spring board to his next job. Just like these guys have done: Brian Kelly, Dino Babers, Harbaugh, Dave Doren, Pj Fleck, etc.

That place is a train wreck.
Colin, I’m missing the parallel between those four coaches and a coach using the $hitshow WIU is as a spring board. Kelley did it from GVS a perennial D2 power, I guess you could say Doren used Drake but that school is not having the issuesWIU is across the board, fleck used Michigan state which had tremendous support from the community and specifically Stryker, Babers could maybe claim EIU but again it’s not WIU, and Harbaugh didn’t need any springboard.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the state didn’t shut down WIU in the next 5-10 years. Dwindling enrollment, a town with no redeeming qualities, it’s really a giant dumpster fire.

Derrick definitely wants to go college. He has has a few opps but nothing to appealing to him. He has discussed this on record on a podcast. I’m guessing something like Illinois College, Milikin, etc was offered to him.

He wants the challenge of college and that’s why he’d leave. Would also triple his salary + bonus’s. Any maybe 5 years down the road he’s built a program into something special and is a name for power 5 jobs.

Let’s say he goes to WIU and stinks up the place. High schools all over the place would be pounding down his door to have him come to their place.
Derrick is a great coach, but WIU is about as good of a job as any HS coach with no college experience will get. There is so much more to coaching in college than just Xs and Os that hes never done before. Of all of the unbelievable HS coaches out there, why haven't these middling D1 programs picked off a few and turned their programs around?

Derek's nephew was Rochester's freshman QB this year. His oldest son will be in high school in a year and a half and plays football. I don't see Derek moving at this time to a college because he would be giving up the opportunity to coach them.

You gotta be able to recruit good players. Look at the job the Thornes did turning an awful program at North Central into arguably now the best D3 program in the country. Who can do that at WIU in a very out of the way place? Who wants to?

Reactions: colin2229
Colin, I’m missing the parallel between those four coaches and a coach using the $hitshow WIU is as a spring board. Kelley did it from GVS a perennial D2 power, I guess you could say Doren used Drake but that school is not having the issuesWIU is across the board, fleck used Michigan state which had tremendous support from the community and specifically Stryker, Babers could maybe claim EIU but again it’s not WIU, and Harbaugh didn’t need any springboard.
What do you mean, he used USD as his springboard!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT