ADVERTISEMENT

Rice 13th in CSN?

Only name I'm gonna name is Burns since he was at the top and presided over the circus. Not gonna name names, but since it just wasn't Burns, you've got parents not holding up their end on obligations, you have staff miscommunication on what they may have discussed with parents/guardians, you have mismanagement/lack of budgeting/forecasting, etc which lead to deficiencies that need to be plugged. But hey by next week there will be a new President and then it will be back to the core basics and mission of Rice. If that means some have to go, then that's how it goes.

Spot on analysis from Topiary. Issue was a lack of structure and true care for the kids from the top that filtered to all aspects in the building.

As a BR alum I hope they hire coaches and teachers who are excited to be there. Walk into to neighbor schools (Mcauley, Marist) the energy and care is just different.

This is extremely evident based on enrollment past few years!

To defend the past coaches, working for a president and AD who aren't excited about the future and athletes success would be extremely frustrating.

I'm excited for change... I have multiple family members who have played sports recently at rice and speak extremely poorly of the AD's presence. Nothing personal but that's exactly the problem. AD's, teachers, coaches it's all about the personal touch and effecting kids on a personal level. (I'm excited the new president is going to push the envelope.)

Look forward to a competitive season

Last edited:
Queen4 gets it. Time to bring back the Maroon & Orange. Changes are coming. I feel confident. As for football, I think they're going to have a good year

Queen is correct. The atmosphere at the other neighborhood schools is amazing. The students seem to love being there. I like the move putting Alberts in as Principal. Bob is a really good guy who loves Br. Rice. I think he'll help bring the energy and pride back into the hallways. If he can do something about those bleachers, then things would be back on track.

Rice has 15 returning starters and is ranked 13th. Carmel has 12 returning starters and is ranked 26th. You don't need to be a statistician to see that the math is off. Going strictly by the numbers, Carmel should be ranked 15th at least. What's more, Carmel is bringing guys back from a much better team. Carmel went deep into the playoffs; Rice went nowhere.

I could make a fortune by betting a few paychecks against Rice winning the blue, never mind taking state. Rice winning the blue? That's a good one. Rice will be lucky to win five games. Edgy said his prediction was a crap-shoot that had no conviction behind it, and all of a sudden Rice fans are caught up in a fantasy.

Reactions: Truthbetold23
Rice has 15 returning starters and is ranked 13th. Carmel has 12 returning starters and is ranked 26th. You don't need to be a statistician to see that the math is off. Going strictly by the numbers, Carmel should be ranked 15th at least. What's more, Carmel is bringing guys back from a much better team. Carmel went deep into the playoffs; Rice went nowhere.

I could make a fortune by betting a few paychecks against Rice winning the blue, never mind taking state. Rice winning the blue? That's a good one. Rice will be lucky to win five games. Edgy said his prediction was a crap-shoot that had no conviction behind it, and all of a sudden Rice fans are caught up in a fantasy.

I call BS. This is Edgy stirring the pot.

I am not certain after reading this thread that Rice folks are anything other than cautiously optimistic....I guess you can get all fired about it just to rip on Rice as that seems to be your point but the thread title has a question mark in it and questions the ranking.

Nobody is quite sure what to expect from Rice it sounds like.

I am not certain after reading this thread that Rice folks are anything other than cautiously optimistic....I guess you can get all fired about it just to rip on Rice as that seems to be your point but the thread title has a question mark in it and questions the ranking.

Nobody is quite sure what to expect from Rice it sounds like.
I guess we will have to see how it plays out.

Not one person predicted winning the blue. But excellent job of stirring the pot.

When you consistently lose games to teams who have less talent (Fremd 2017)any Rice fan would be a fool to make those predictions.

Team is loaded with talent which means absolutely nothing.

I do agree with NewFool in the fact that if your team is garbage and returns a ton of starts who cares...

Rice staff 100% needs to prove that they can maximize talent.

For a team to go undefeated in the blue on Fresh/Sophs and not atleast go 7-2 means that the talent is not being maximized and coached properly.

Rank'em 13th, 1st or 36th... Doesn't matter...

Find out next Friday.

Queen coming in solid as rookie of the year with quality posts. Forget about BR’s preseason rank. Will Queen outrank the excellent Topiary as the source of solid, reasonable BR info by season’s end?

Yes, I was a little harsh, but it's on the record that some Rice fans got carried away. And there's a lot of difference between frosh, soph and varsity. Did anyone ever work it out? How strongly does a good soph record correlate with a good varsity record? I wish I had a database for the last 30 years. I know that an 0-2 start does not prevent a state championship. Some teams just get better as the season progresses.

Last edited:
Spot on analysis from Topiary. Issue was a lack of structure and true care for the kids from the top that filtered to all aspects in the building.

As a BR alum I hope they hire coaches and teachers who are excited to be there. Walk into to neighbor schools (Mcauley, Marist) the energy and care is just different.

This is extremely evident based on enrollment past few years!

To defend the past coaches, working for a president and AD who aren't excited about the future and athletes success would be extremely frustrating.

I'm excited for change... I have multiple family members who have played sports recently at rice and speak extremely poorly of the AD's presence. Nothing personal but that's exactly the problem. AD's, teachers, coaches it's all about the personal touch and effecting kids on a personal level. (I'm excited the new president is going to push the envelope.)

Look forward to a competitive season
AD is bad if not worse then president. No leadership at the top at all. AD couldn't work a room if his life depended on it.
Tough to come to work with leadership sucking the life out of the place. Change is welcomed at the top.

Reactions: go_rice
Getting back to BR football.... As underclassmen they went 18-0. Which means they beat LA PC and SR two years in a row. So talent wise they should beat those teams. But success at the lower levels does not always equate varsity wins. All the talk about the coach and the AD or administration has to be distraction to the kids. They were 2-7 last year. Is 7-2 good enough with a couple of playoff wins or is the bar higher? Football talent wins games but sometimes teams lose because of bad match ups.

How does Marist and BR match up. Game preview? Seven days to go now!

For a little perspective, Maxpreps ranks Mount Carmel 17th and Rice 94th, in Illinois. Beth Long ranks MC 19th in her Top 25, while Rice isn't ranked at all.

For a little perspective, Maxpreps ranks Mount Carmel 17th and Rice 94th, in Illinois. Beth Long ranks MC 19th in her Top 25, while Rice isn't ranked at all.
Maxpreps rankings are also from last season. The only “ranking” MaxPreps has released in regards to Illinois is who it thinks it’s best team is.

Yes, I was mistaken. For 2018, Maxpreps has MC ranked 11th, Rice at 113th. 113th! And yes, of course, all such rankings are at least partially subjective and should be taken with a pinch of salt. If Edgy, Beth, Mike Clark, and Max were all infallible as prognosticators, they'd be working in Vegas, not Chicago.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT