ADVERTISEMENT

Rice 13th in CSN?

Bowie50

Gold Member
Aug 3, 2013
way too high...thoughts? Feeto? GoRice?

Last edited:
17 returning starters and the two Williams’s BR should run the table.... sorry wrong year.

Per Edgy: The Crusaders went young last season and will bring back 15 returning starters (nine offense, six defense). They only have a few holes to fill (DL and DB) before the season kicks off.

Last year very tough schedule and rash of injuries that made their sideline look like a mash unit. Will they give LA a run for their money? BR schedule starts tough with no letup till week 8. 2-7 to State Champs? Rated 13 they should make a deep run.

Still going to come down to QB play - Bean or Smyth. Bean better runner - Smyth better arm. If they stay health, DL should be good this year with Jefferson (who has MVP of ND camp this summer), Waryko, McCoy (coming back from injury) and some others. Adding Dan O''Brien as a Defensive Back coach (former MC guy) is huge for Rice. Means, Love, Sievers, Desmond and the kid I think will make huge impact is Giacomo Iraci at SS.

Question for BR fans. Do you guys feel like they underachieve most years? I ask this because I feel like we have heard a lot about them and the results don’t fit the preseason hype.

I think they've had some years that we expected them to go further. Smalling's Junior and Senior years (particularly Senior) were good seasons but disappointed. Rice typically loads up with a really tough non-conference schedule and in some instances I think it's come back to haunt them. This should be a telling year for the team (as well as for Badke too - a 5-4 record isn't gonna cut it with the alums and whoever the new President is that is picked at Rice)

Reactions: MS4EVER
Was this a roll of the dice? Yep. Never make an excuse for that at all....sometimes I'm right and other times not so much....

Was this a roll of the dice? Yep. Never make an excuse for that at all....sometimes I'm right and other times not so much....
MC 12 returning starters, 4 D1...ranked 26th by Edgy...you never know though

Adding a DB's coach should do wonders as that was what had killed them the last couple of seasons. Although I personally think the defensive staff at MC is what butters their bread so a player out of that system should help in my mind.

Here is my view on BR, and before go_rice goes off on me, I come from a BR family, my two older brothers played for Coach Mitch, MC was just a better fit for me. 3 of my nephews played for BR, two for Nye and 1 for Badke. So I respect the school and watched them play almost as much as MC. The game at Marist will tell a lot. So much talent on this senior team. 18-0 as Fr/Soph, they lost a few of those players but kept the core. If Badke crashes this car, he needs to go. They won’t win State but they should be no worse then 7-2. I really don’t think he’s a good coach. He brought in great talent, my God that 2016 team...Wow....but the epic fail in the first round against Fremd and then blowing a 28-7 lead vs. MC in the prep bowl playoff...he’s too emotional of a Coach. This team doesn’t have the playmakers the 2016 team did but the defense will be solid. I’m guessing they’ll flip the record and go 7-2 and a quarter final appearance. Anything less they need to find a new HC

Last edited:
Well said analysis. This is a very telling year for the Crusaders. Summers has a coiuple of Ivy offers and should be able to get some other FCS offers (Indy State, S Dakota, etc). Wirts the OL has some decent FBS offers. O'Keefe opted for Harvard over NIU and Wyoming. Means might be able to pull some FCS offers (he's got some very solid D2 offers). Iraci I believe is a Castro clone (kid from Richards) and should be able to be a decent FBS player in a couple of years.

Well said analysis. This is a very telling year for the Crusaders. Summers has a coiuple of Ivy offers and should be able to get some other FCS offers (Indy State, S Dakota, etc). Wirts the OL has some decent FBS offers. O'Keefe opted for Harvard over NIU and Wyoming. Means might be able to pull some FCS offers (he's got some very solid D2 offers). Iraci I believe is a Castro clone (kid from Richards) and should be able to be a decent FBS player in a couple of years.
I think the knock on Means is he is a tad undersized, but he’s a player. Wareyko is a very good D tackle, only about 6’0 but strong. Joe Fitzgerald got knocked around last year but he’s a tough kid, he’s gonna have a good year, I think he’s getting moved to middle LB

There's no question that Rice has the talent to be a #13 ranked team, maybe even top 10. BUT...... they have always struggled to get the most of their talent. It's almost comical how this happens year after year. Badke is a very good recruiter, he just seems to struggle at putting it all together.

Here is my view on BR, and before go_rice goes off on me, I come from a BR family, my two older brothers played for Coach Mitch, MC was just a better fit for me. 3 of my nephews played for BR, two for Nye and 1 for Badke. So I respect the school and watched them play almost as much as MC. The game at Marist will tell a lot. So much talent on this senior team. 18-0 as Fr/Soph, they lost a few of those players but kept the core. If Badke crashes this car, he needs to go. They won’t win State but they should be no worse then 7-2. I really don’t think he’s a good coach. He brought in great talent, my God that 2016 team...Wow....but the epic fail in the first round against Fremd and then blowing a 28-7 lead vs. MC in the prep bowl playoff...he’s too emotional of a Coach. This team doesn’t have the playmakers the 2016 team did but the defense will be solid. I’m guessing they’ll flip the record and go 7-2 and a quarter final appearance. Anything less they need to find a new HC
No “going off” from me. I think your assessment is pretty spot on.

Reactions: McCaravan
How is Marist supposed to be? I know they return their QB and two outstanding receivers but they lost a lot of beef on the line.

They will be really good on O - 5 returning starters and an RB that got a lot of reps last year. D has some solid DBs and a really good DL, but still a question mark

You been watching way too much Friday Night Lights
What Alums? You do realize what Alum is the biggest contributor and supporter of BR football program, right? Time for more BR Alums to open up their checkbooks if they want to have any kind of say.
Yeah - Badke's brother. However you also might be aware that the other ALUMS who might not write checks to the football program (but to the school and foundation) are the guys who just forced out Dr Burns before his contract came up. Over 500 of us, perhaps even including you. So I think that there are quite a number of other non-football donators who have the ear of the Members and the Board and if Coach lays another egg (especially since he's not in the building anymore which is a big issue) then you'd agree 2 years in row missing the playoffs would warrant a change correct? Especially with that many returning starters. I even think Coach Badke's brother would agree. I support Brian as coach and I think this year can be a game changer - seems like a lot of good kids and parents who aren't going over the top like some did last year. Additionally, the new President will no doubt see how things play out this year and if it turns out south then the new President is going to shake things up. Wouldn't you agree?

Last edited:
Krock - you may think it hurt but I've talked to every Board member who voted and I think they'll tell you the outpouring of alums (and parents) who came out via petition or direct contact dramatically influenced the expediency of his departure. He's getting paid til the end of the year and frankly the interviews end tomorrow (they will have interviewed 6 guys and I've talked with 5 of the 6 interviewing and 5 of 6 say they're making changes -on all levels (admin, coaches, facuty, etc0 no one is safe. And frankly that's a good thing because every position and employee should be evaluated. To say half the school is football players is laughable. They have 40 of 167 Frosh playing FB - overall they have about 140 of 754 playing football. Even as a supporter of Coach Badke, if they don't make the playoffs this year then I would have to say the experiment of not being in the building has failed. Thats just not my opinion but many others. But hey I believe Brian will be up for the challenge. Krock, if you'd like to private message me more on things I'm not going to post on the board then please do.

Krock - you may think it hurt but I've talked to every Board member who voted and I think they'll tell you the outpouring of alums (and parents) who came out via petition or direct contact dramatically influenced the expediency of his departure. He's getting paid til the end of the year and frankly the interviews end tomorrow (they will have interviewed 6 guys and I've talked with 5 of the 6 interviewing and 5 of 6 say they're making changes -on all levels (admin, coaches, facuty, etc0 no one is safe. And frankly that's a good thing because every position and employee should be evaluated. To say half the school is football players is laughable. They have 40 of 167 Frosh playing FB - overall they have about 140 of 754 playing football. Even as a supporter of Coach Badke, if they don't make the playoffs this year then I would have to say the experiment of not being in the building has failed. Thats just not my opinion but many others. But hey I believe Brian will be up for the challenge. Krock, if you'd like to private message me more on things I'm not going to post on the board then please do.
You betcha
I hope you are one of the alums writing checks. BIG checks

Um no they don't If you don't believe me go into the Finance office and ask the staff there

Um no they don't If you don't believe me go into the Finance office and ask the staff there
They should petition for 7A, with this team they could make a deep run in 7A. Not to say 7A isn’t loaded either though.

Only name I'm gonna name is Burns since he was at the top and presided over the circus. Not gonna name names, but since it just wasn't Burns, you've got parents not holding up their end on obligations, you have staff miscommunicating on what they may have discussed with parents/guardians, you have mismanagement/lack of budgeting/forecasting, etc which lead to deficiencies that need to be plugged. But hey by next week there will be a new President and then it will be back to the core basics and mission of Rice. If that means some have to go, then that's how it goes.

Reactions: Queen4
I have heard that Rice has a huge line on both sides and that Marist does not have a great line on either side. The battle in the trenches could big in this game. With that being said Marist does have a lot of skill position players which will be interesting against Means and the other Rice DBs

To say half the school is football players is laughable. They have 40 of 167 Frosh playing FB - overall they have about 140 of 754 playing football. Even as a supporter of Coach Badke, if they don't make the playoffs this year then I would have to say the experiment of not being in the building has failed. Thats just not my opinion but many others. But hey I believe Brian will be up for the challenge.

Anyone else out there know of head coaches not working at their school full time?

If it's not uncommon then what’s the issue if he wins? Expectations at BR are high, maybe too high? What is the baseline for a successful season? What would the first three goals be for BR?

Last edited:
If it's not uncommon them what’s the issue if he wins? Expectations at BR are high, maybe too high? What is the baseline for a successful season? What would the first three goals be for BR?[/Q

Their first 3 goals should be
3. Win the CCL Blue
2. Win the State Championship
1. Install decent bleachers on the visitors sidelines.

In that order of importance please!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Gene K. and go_rice
Mount Carmel backup QB transfered to BR. I guess he lost out on the battle to back up Premovic to Lynch’s little brother. Not sure how he’s going to be eligible since this was clearly for football only. Anyways he’s a great kid, great athlete, but is small...5’8 with cleats, average arm strength but can run and will take a hit. Do I think he’s better then Smyth for BR offense? Absolutely not. He was good for the veer but shotgun will be an issue. Either he switches to DB which he didn’t want to do at MC or he made a real mistake on which school he chose to transfer to. He is a solid character kid though, he’ll work hard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT