ADVERTISEMENT

Q of the Week: Which schools are in the most need for a facility upgrades?

Didn't Thornton add lights and turf like 4-5 years ago?

I remember hearing Crete is in the works?
Thornton still has a massive crown on an old grass field. They did add a nicer concession stand a few years back.

CS8 Schools.
Excellent Existing Facilities: SHG, Chatham, U High (plays at ISU stadium), and Memorial Stadium (Springfield and Lanphier).
Facility Changes in the Works: Rochester and Southeast.
Facility Changes Needed IMO: Jacksonville, Lincoln, and MacArthur are all older facilities. Eisenhower has a facility that is only about 10 years old but drains poorly.
Not Sure: QND. I've only been there once, and it was ten years ago. Not sure if they've made any changes since.

Neuqua Valley.
Given the merger with the SWSC, the latter will be treated to some old-fashioned grass when travelling out to NV, unlike the artificial turf across-the-board they experienced in their former league.

CS8 Schools.
Excellent Existing Facilities: SHG, Chatham, U High (plays at ISU stadium), and Memorial Stadium (Springfield and Lanphier).
Facility Changes Needed IMO: Jacksonville, Lincoln, and MacArthur are all older facilities. Eisenhower has a facility that is only about 10 years old but drains poorly.
Not Sure: QND. I've only been there once, and it was ten years ago. Not sure if they've made any changes since.
All.... Roamin' knows much more about this then me. QND did a rehab with their stadium in 2014. Turf, lights and stands. Of course back then the thought of joining the CS8 wasn't in the Raiders mind. It will be interesting to see if larger crowds make the trek to Advance Field and fill up the stands. You know me rocketnation might need a little add on the away side. "Our History" 2014 has a small picture of the field. 😇 Ratsy
https://www.quincynotredame.org/about/history/

Reactions: rocketnation
CS8 Schools.
QND had turf when Rochester played there in 2014 playoffs. I know the 2010 game was a mud bog. I remember sitting in longhorn parking lot waiting for the 2010 game to finish so we could meet my family for my parent's 50th anniversary.

CS8 Schools.
jacksonville put in new bleachers less than 5 years ago. they also put the new video board in the southeast corner of the field. they put in new sidewalks to the bleachers from the parking lot. parking is adequate as long as there's no rain. in fact they have more handicap spots than memorial stadium has. visitor's locker rooms suck, but there home locker rooms are very nice.

Excited for Coal City to get a new track, turf on football, baseball and softball fields. Also hearing a new video scoreboard is in the mix.

As far as ICE teams, Wilmos field (I know I will ruffle feathers) is a spectacle but the field itself is crap. Peotone is finally getting new baseball and softball facilities but the football field could use a facelift

Reactions: colin2229 and 4Afan
Excited for Coal City to get a new track, turf on football, baseball and softball fields. Also hearing a new video scoreboard is in the mix.

As far as ICE teams, Wilmos field (I know I will ruffle feathers) is a spectacle but the field itself is crap. Peotone is finally getting new baseball and softball facilities but the football field could use a facelift
Coal City is going to have turf for their baseball and softball fields?

i'd like to see moline get field turf. they are the only school in the western big 6 without it.

Thornwood don't need to be playing night football & not so sure about Thornton or Thornridge. Rich Township spent a ton on upgrades for their stadium but don't need to be playing at night either

I don’t know if they’ve done something and I haven’t been there in years but Brother Rice needed a major upgrade

Thornwood don't need to be playing night football & not so sure about Thornton or Thornridge. Rich Township spent a ton on upgrades for their stadium but don't need to be playing at night either
Tough call to exclude schools from the Friday Night Lights experience.

Tough call to exclude schools from the Friday Night Lights experience.
I'm with you but when continued violence & mayhem occur at these places you have to think twice. Maybe not Thornton so much but Thornwood & Thornridge should have had night football in the 70's & 80's no issues

Come
I'm with you but when continued violence & mayhem occur at these places you have to think twice. Maybe not Thornton so much but Thornwood & Thornridge should have had night football in the 70's & 80's no issues
to think of it though Thornridge stopped night football in the 70's for some reason i remember reading about it

Come

to think of it though Thornridge stopped night football in the 70's for some reason i remember reading about it
A few years after joining the SWSC, the 3 Thorns got back on board with Friday night games to "level the playing field" with the other members. Since going to the Southland Conference, the pendulum seems to swinging back in the other direction for the three. I was at the game when the lights went back on at "The Wood" in a special ceremony.

Reactions: crazylegs777
Providence was bad years ago, Have they made improvements. Again it been along time since I watched a game there.
All... The last time I was there was 2008. Away seating (my pet peeve) before 08 was really bad but they moved the home side over and put in new for the Celtic fans. It was fine. No turf then but I believe they have installed it a few years back.

The grass parking lot where there is a whole lot of fun before the game is second to no one. ☺️ Ratsy

All... The last time I was there was 2008. Away seating (my pet peeve) before 08 was really bad but they moved the home side over and put in new for the Celtic fans. It was fine. No turf then but I believe they have installed it a few years back.

The grass parking lot where there is a whole lot of fun before the game is second to no one. ☺️ Ratsy
Yeah I went before that. It doesn’t sound like they have done to much to improve. Your saying the visitors sit on the same side? That’s different. Not sure that’s an upgrade?

Yeah I went before that. It doesn’t sound like they have done to much to improve. Your saying the visitors sit on the same side? That’s different. Not sure that’s an upgrade?
I believe he’s saying old home side is now visitors and they put in a new home side replacing old visitors side.

Reactions: corey90
I hope CG never upgrades to turf. Keep the grass and water it up in freezing weather for the playoffs. Like with Phillips, allegedly. :p

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT