ADVERTISEMENT

Public versus Private Schools on Edgy

My rooting interests
1. Wilmington
2. Bradley-Bourbonnais
3. Other I-8 schools
4. Underdogs (typically closed boundary schools but I think I will be rooting for Hope Academy this year)

Reactions: Gene K.
I'm a Kaneland guy...kaneland consist of Elburn, Maple Park and Sugar Grove. I'm a big believer if you live in one of these three towns and you play on their travels Sports or middle school programs growing up, you best be going to Kaneland. Over the years I've seen far too many kids that have done this and when it comes high school time, we come to find out they are going to Marmion or Aurora Christian . That's enough for me to not like their school.I always root against them... especially in football.

I follow Oswego as my nephew is assistance freshman coach, and AT Blazers my old school..don't know why but I always liked Montini.

I'm a Kaneland guy...kaneland consist of Elburn, Maple Park and Sugar Grove. I'm a big believer if you live in one of these three towns and you play on their travels Sports or middle school programs growing up, you best be going to Kaneland. Over the years I've seen far too many kids that have done this and when it comes high school time, we come to find out they are going to Marmion or Aurora Christian . That's enough for me to not like their school.I always root against them... especially in football.

I follow Oswego as my nephew is assistance freshman coach, and AT Blazers my old school..don't know why but I always liked Montini.
Did you like Driscoll?

Reactions: DCH88

That makes absolutely no sense. Explain why kids who choose to go to a private high school should not play in travel sports or on their middle school team.

Sounds like the only circumstance under which you would be okay with a kid living in your district to attend a private high school is if s/he isn't an athlete.

I’m a Coal City guy, played there many, many moons ago and still follow the football and baseball program closely. For obvious reasons, not a huge Wilmington or Morris fan, albeit a healthy dislike... lol. Always likedJCA. Had a lot of family members and friends who went there or sent their kids there. I have always been a fan of their offense. Watching some of their great teams of the past, that run game was fun to watch.

I totally get your defense of Kaneland district kids who end up at Aurora Christian or Marmion. It also works the other way. I've seen a lot of families with kids at AC and taking advantage of the pheonominal grade school/middle school football programs, coaching and facilities only to end up at another school. The worst is when they end up at Marmion or Aurora Central. For this reason, and the geographic location of these three schools, I root against Marmion and ACC. I will root for Marmion if they are playing a public school. There are really no circumstances in which I would root for ACC.

I have an affinity for the CCL because Aurora Christian participated in that league for four years. During that time, it was fun being part of the mix and getting to know the schools, the rivalries, history and posters on this board who make rooting for HS football so much fun. I only wish AC was in their golden years while they were in the CCL. Unfortunately, the CCL got AC during their down years. I'd like to think we gave it our best and played some competitive games even during those down years.

I always root FOR St. Francis. There is something special about that school. I used to call on them for business and was always treated very well. A few years ago, AC had a significant tuition hike. I figured if I was going to pay $10-$12,000 for tuition I should shop the marketplace and see what the relative value of other schools was. I had my 8th grade son shadow for a day at Marmion and another day at St. Francis. (ACC was not up for consideration) He and I both liked St. Francis significantly more. The school has a very friendly, family oriented feel to it. These are subjective statements but the vibe at the school was very positive and welcoming. We ended up staying at AC but it was a good experience to shadow elsewhere.

South side born and raised
MC grad - played football 2 years (pre-Lenti) and baseball for 4 years
At MC became huge high school hockey fan (Craig Ferguson era); still am a huge high school hockey fan via the best high school hockey team in south suburbs - PC
Put 3 daughters through Providence- love the school, the people and the spirit (some call it arrogance I call it spirit)
Love high school football, hockey and baseball - at PC plenty to cheer about with these 3 sports
Dislike Sandburg as previously stated- worst students/fans I have ever encountered in high school sports
Dislike LWE - because I’m jealous; some of their studs should be wearing green on Friday nights
Dislike SR - this is both a MC and PC thing; at MC learned to dislike SR more than any other CCL team even St Francis De Sales (blast fri the past);nothing more passionate than a SR/PC hockey game

At MC became huge high school hockey fan (Craig Ferguson era); still am a huge high school hockey fan via the best high school hockey team in south suburbs - PC
Put 3 daughters through Providence- love the school, the people and the spirit (some call it arrogance I call it spirit)
Love high school football, hockey and baseball - at PC plenty to cheer about with these 3 sports
Dislike Sandburg as previously stated- worst students/fans I have ever encountered in high school sports
Dislike LWE - because I’m jealous; some of their studs should be wearing green on Friday nights
Dislike SR - this is both a MC and PC thing; at MC learned to dislike SR more than any other CCL team even St Francis De Sales (blast fri the past);nothing more passionate than a SR/PC hockey game

southside born and raised in bulldog country.
I attended, my wife attended, my kids attended and graduated, we have been going to bulldog games as a family since 1990, I brought oldest son to his first bulldog game when he was 8months old. all 3 of my sons played for the dogz. i am a huge high school football, hockey, wrestling fan.

teams with good rivalries and/or some dislike
pc, batavia, lemon(t), oak forest, reavis,
likes morgan park(we had GREAT rivalry games up until 07),
all 4 lincolnway schools since we only lost to lwn and they do not exist anymore.
i liked the fact that many of these teams had bulldog bloodlines. and watching some of my schoolmates kids playing for these schools was awesome. knowing their bloodlines came from Richards.
like the traveling to other football stadiums, atmosphere, rating their food.
like the private v public debate when the privates acknowledge recruiting is used as an advantage.
i would like to see the dogz play more against our southside catholic schools however, i know it does not make sense sometimes even tho and because we recruit the same kids.

I guess my reasoning is, if you're going to be taking up a spot on the kaneland Travel team or the Middle School team, then stay with the program. Otherwise join another travel program and let the kids in the district get the coaching needed for them to improve year after year ... It's a feeder program for the high school not for them to take up a roster spot only to leave and go to a private school when they get in high school.

Reactions: Cat Box
An example. For the Kaneland Cagers travel basketball team, three boys are no longer in the district. One went to Wheaton academy one went to Marmion the other to Aurora Christiant... save those roster spots for kids staying in the district that tried out and are going to be on the high school team.

That's an asinine position and a defenseless one. You want a middle school kid/family to find alternative teams/programs if they don't commit to "supporting the district" until they are 18?

To quote John McEnroe: You cannot be serious.

I didn't really care for Driscoll... we were right down the street from each other and we were always in competition about who had the better football team. Although my senior year, 1987, we all got along pretty good. Hung out a lot and partied a lot. It was the women who had the problem then. Because The Driscoll girls wanted to be with the AT guys. AT girls wouldn't have it....ahhhh those were the days. But everyone knows just go ahead a lot of nice state runs in the early 90s.

I wrestled with the Villa Lombard Wrestling Club and I knew a lot of guys from Villa Park and Lombard. And a lot of those guys went to Montini so I guess that is why I've always just followed them and rooted for them.

Crusader it is just my opinion...you don't have to like it or agree...but I feel a FEEDER program is for your high school. What's so ass I 9 about that??

I admit I hated Joliet Catholic when I was in school. I'm old enough to remember when Joliet Catholic was all boys and St. Francis Academy was all girls. Now that I am older, I still dislike Joliet Catholic but I want to hang out with USD24 at Thirty Buck some day, drink beer and trade stories :)

also gotta give props to JCA alum Brett Boyter, doing a great job at Joliet Central, at 2-4 they could easily be 4-2. Plus he's an Illini like me.

Never had much interaction with Providence Catholic.

Obviously I’m an East guy. Currently have a son playing for them(senior, whaaaaaaaaaaaaa whaaaaaaaaaa).
Hate HF, but prob PC more.
As a 7v7 team(all freshman team) my sons freshman year, we whipped their Varsity team. They got ugly and started slapping and cheap shotting the freshman thinking intimidation would work. Cogs was there watching(which he should not have been there) smirking until they lost. I called him a kitty and asked him for a regular season game with the pads. Play us Cogs. We’ll even let you wear the ring.
FYI, All of those freshmen on that 7V7 team are all starters today!

I didn't really care for Driscoll... we were right down the street from each other and we were always in competition about who had the better football team. Although my senior year, 1987, we all got along pretty good. Hung out a lot and partied a lot. It was the women who had the problem then. Because The Driscoll girls wanted to be with the AT guys. AT girls wouldn't have it....ahhhh those were the days. But everyone knows just go ahead a lot of nice state runs in the early 90s.

I wrestled with the Villa Lombard Wrestling Club and I knew a lot of guys from Villa Park and Lombard. And a lot of those guys went to Montini so I guess that is why I've always just followed them and rooted for them.

Are you aware of why the school was school closed ?

Shouldn't you have wrestled for Addison? Seems that you were taking a spot from a Willowbrook or Glenbard East kid.

let's be realistic.. Travel programs are not the same as they were 40 years ago. You could find a travel programs around the corner now. Back then there really weren't travel programs. You had to go find somewhere to go .

The reason I heard that it closed and I'm not sure if it's true or not, was was money was a big factor obviously. I heard they were giving away too many scholarships and that had an effect on the money situation also... I'm sure that's just a small part of it I do not know the complete story or reason .

The reason I heard that it closed and I'm not sure if it's true or not, was was money was a big factor obviously. I heard they were giving away too many scholarships and that had an effect on the money situation also... I'm sure that's just a small part of it I do not know the complete story or reason .
Interesting... definitely will look more into this thanks.

Unabashedly a Catholic school guy ... but I have a very petty reason for not liking PC that much.

My senior year, fall of 1990, Providence came down to Belleville for Saturday night game. We always played Saturday night games because we didn’t have her own stadium so game day ritual was that a group of us would go to Shoney’s for the all you could eat breakfast - a big meal that would be dumped by 3:00 and a light meal then ...

Anyway, we’re at the restaurant and a PC mom and dad are they. Both decked out in school gear - dad is even wearing a white hat with the PC name on it.

I walked by their table, nodded courtesouly - got no return nod from the preppy MF’er.

Pissed me off then and I still remember it.

We kicked their ass 35-0 or worse. I was satisfied.

So what do you do to people that really piss you off? LOL

Unabashedly a Catholic school guy ... but I have a very petty reason for not liking PC that much.

My senior year, fall of 1990, Providence came down to Belleville for Saturday night game. We always played Saturday night games because we didn’t have her own stadium so game day ritual was that a group of us would go to Shoney’s for the all you could eat breakfast - a big meal that would be dumped by 3:00 and a light meal then ...

Anyway, we’re at the restaurant and a PC mom and dad are they. Both decked out in school gear - dad is even wearing a white hat with the PC name on it.

I walked by their table, nodded courtesouly - got no return nod from the preppy MF’er.

Pissed me off then and I still remember it.

We kicked their ass 35-0 or worse. I was satisfied.
Great story... Damn I miss Shoneys!! Lol

Reactions: crusader_of_90
Gene:

I moved to Chicago shortly after graduating college, married and had a family. I put three boys through LA, and a daughter through Woodlands Academy.

Since my daughter doesn't read this board, I am confident I can get away with mocking Woodlands' athletics without suffering through one of her hysterical fits over my lack of interest in the school.

I am, as it is well known, a LA fan first and foremost, but since my sons have long graduated, my interests have broadened widely to include most of the CCL schools. By extension, I have also developed an affection for ESCC schools and three schools which originally made up the old WSCC.

Through a half-dozen acquaintances in the west suburbs, all of whom have affiliations with Montini, Marmion, and Saint Francis, I have followed the schools more closely in the last decade. One of the friends, who is attached to St. Francis, is a college classmate of mine, lives in Wheaton and sent his kids to SF.

Briefly, I followed CoM, largely because a relative had a son play for Andy Bitto. While I still consider myself a champion of the Corsair, I reluctantly admit my interest in the school's football program has faded considerably.

In sum, I follow a majority of and support Private schools.

Despite this, and it will be no shock to several members here, I am an impenitent, barefaced supporter of Maine South. In the eyes of some, I may resemble the arch-betraying Judas, but my loyalty to MS endures without shame.

To me it mostly comes to the fan bases of these teams. I find most of the private schools have pretty passionate fan bases that are knowledgeable and not whiners when they lose or too arrogant when they win. Exceptions would be everyone's favorite team in Lisle in my experience. On the public side it is hard to find fan bases much worse than the perennial leaders of the WSC. Must be a joy when those two teams play each other.

Reactions: ClownBaby

No doubt you played football at AT with one of my pledge brother's, Steve Watwood (1986 season/1987 grad). Wonderful man, married his HS sweetheart, great family. It was a shame to lose him to cancer this summer.

Yes I grew up with Steve. Graduated with him played youth football with him for many years.. sad story. I was at his benefit in Elmhurst and shortly after his wake. Great guy...great family man

Reactions: Cat Box and Gene K.
Could not agree more on Sandburg. Have lived in Orland for 18 years and cannot stand the Eagles. Fans, school, and local media hate the Catholic schools, but if they ever beat a Catholic school they chest thump for years. It is great this year watching Orland kids like Markett and O’Keefe do great things for Marist and Rice while Sandburg has as many running clock losses as wins.

Could not agree more on Sandburg. Have lived in Orland for 18 years and cannot stand the Eagles. Fans, school, and local media hate the Catholic schools, but if they ever beat a Catholic school they chest thump for years. It is great this year watching Orland kids like Markett and O’Keefe do great things for Marist and Rice while Sandburg has as many running clock losses as wins.
Agree, when they ended PCs baseball 23 playoff game winning streak 2 years the actions on and off the field by their baseball players and fans was outrageous and their principal and administration were in the crowd! Even though everyone is all high on that Comia kid he was the worst. His gestures directly back at the Provi players was let’s just say were as low class as you can get. Lost my respect regardless of how good he is.

Been on the board a long time. But donot post much. Been going to Richards games since 89. Two sons played for Richards - Coach Korhonens teams. Also go to Marist and Brother Rice games occasionally.
Have a group of friends who follow St Lawrence and LWE as well as other teams.

Donot dislike any specific teams.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
In your opinion how is your Richards high school football team this year? I believe they are a projected one seed on the top half of 6A bracket. I looked at their schedule strength and thought it was rather on the mediocre side. I believe their second round game will be the toughest game of the year for them thinking it will be Notre Dame. I also see you play Lemont this week which may be a test for them. I'm from kaneland and we are projected to play Lemont in the first round and if we win that,
possibly Antioch. So there is a possibility of a Richards Kaneland game based on projections in the semis. I'm just curious to see how good you think Richard really is?

Again this is all just projections based on Catch 22 thread

Was all private until the mid 2000s. I went to IC and always have been a fan of those old SCC teams... Montini frustrated me because it was always so tough to play them but I thought Andriano was a great coach and a better person. MCC, Marmion, SF. Big fans of those programs and always great to talk to alums of those schools.

Always cheer for Mount Carmel because I love the tradition.

Love the Brook.

East St. Louis- Community support and background of those kids is a good story.

Schools I dislike:
Aurora Christian(no tradition and IC took some tough losses to them)

Loyola(cake eaters.) JK, just some public schools I follow have taken some losses to them. Their supporters on here are great and knowledgeable.

Rochester(Leonard is a great coach but his attitude on camera has always annoyed me)

In your opinion how is your Richards high school football team this year? I believe they are a projected one seed on the top half of 6A bracket. I looked at their schedule strength and thought it was rather on the mediocre side. I believe their second round game will be the toughest game of the year for them thinking it will be Notre Dame. I also see you play Lemont this week which may be a test for them. I'm from kaneland and we are projected to play Lemont in the first round and if we win that,
possibly Antioch. So there is a possibility of a Richards Kaneland game based on projections in the semis. I'm just curious to see how good you think Richard really is?

Again this is all just projections based on Catch 22 thread

Richards....don't overlook them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT