ADVERTISEMENT

Public versus Private Schools on Edgy

Gene K.

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2016
Plainfield, Illinois
A lot of people on this site claim that the private schools are dominating it. And that there is no love for the public schools. Could be true to an extent as the private school fans seem to be more passionate about their teams. There are however a lot of public school fans who I thoroughly enjoy reading their posts on their team and appear very passionate about their schools. There are also some very spirited discussions between bloggers who appear to have axes to grind about other schools.

I am a Montini fan first and a CCL fan second. Went to both public and private schools and so did my children. Always root for the schools I went to and also the schools that my kids, grand kids and nieces and nephews went to. Interesting enough, the Chicago Tribune's Mike Clark has only 5 private schools on his list of the top 20 schools in the Chicago Area. Even though math was not my top subject that means that 75 percent of the top teams in the area are public schools in his opinion.

What are some of the teams you guys root for both your own school and other schools, public or private? What are some of the teams you really don't like and why is that? Would really like to see where your loyalties lie and the reasoning behind it.

Reactions: Dual-triple_threat
I root for all CPS neighborhood teams, like Fenger, Corliss, and Senn. These neighborhood schools are constantly fighting the Selective Enrollment schools, charter schools, and private schools that are looking to poach students. And spare me the, "if the schools were better, kids would want to stay stuff." My fandom has nothing to do with that. I'm just a supporter of all those teams fighting against bigger and bigger odds to succeed against better funded schools.

Gene, It is obvious who I root for. The reason I root for them is because they are my community school and my sons were on the team. Many of my social friends are football parents from Lincoln-Way East. I went to a Private school who was in the Catholic League but no longer fields a football team.

I joined the board on May 29, 2001. If i'm not one of the longest members, I am certainly in the team photo. I joined because my son was starting Varsity Football (he was on the first LWE team) and I wanted to learn more about it.

Edgy was instrumental in getting my son noticed and able to play college football at Drake University.

You have been on the board for two years so I'm not certain you were around for the Public Private debates that occurred on this board. There was a tremendous amount of animosity between public and private supporters at that time and frankly some of the supporters I know were bullied off this board. It became not worth their time. Its not that they weren't passionate, Their kids graduated and it was not worth putting up with some of the people on this board any longer. Frankly I'm not sure why I still do.

There are a few of us old timers still around. Bones, Corey90, WIU78 and I seem to hold down the fort with Jcrewx7 and a few others on board recently.

Hope that answers your questions....

Reactions: EdgyTim and Gene K.
Those dates are inaccurate. They may be the date when Rivals took over. I want to say I found Edgy in either 97 or 98. Would go by either B'Brook Guy or DGS Guy depending on who I was talking about. Since I was in high school I was more connected with DGS than I am today.

I follow WWS and no one else in particular although my nephew is planning on going to St Francis so I guess I will add them to the mix next year. I will post about other schools on the Tigers schedule since those are the only teams I have seen.

WWS has a lot of lurkers around here but very few that actually post often. Many others have come and gone with their kids.

Last edited:
May 29 2001 is before Nov 1, 2003, I think...Bones is Aug 20, 2001

I am also May 29,2001, I think that was a date that Edgy reset something, because I know i was a member prior to that

Last edited:
Like Bones, I go back to '97 or '98 as a regular here.

I went to Loyola and sent my son there, and I am very much a Loyola fan. I follow them pretty closely on TV, online, and through local print media. Get to maybe one game a year.

I grew up in the New Trier school district, lived in it as an adult for 15 years, and am the rare Loyola fan who roots for New Trier pretty much whenever they play against anyone other than Loyola.

I'm also a fan of high school athletics in general. Quite seriously, given the choice between watching high school sports or pro sports, I would choose high school sports pretty much every time. I've personally attended the following high school sports in person over the last three years: football, basketball, lacrosse, swimming, soccer, softball, hockey, and bowling. Extend that to 20 years, and I'd have to include volleyball, baseball, track, and tennis. A few years ago, I was by myself in Quincy, IL on a Friday evening with nothing to do. My solution? Drive almost an hour to Carthage to watch Quincy Notre Dame take on Carthage Illini West in football. I knew nobody from within either school's community.

Relative to the public/private debate, I am an unapologetic private school apologist.

Waubonsie #1 team to follow. Have 3 kids and one graduated last year, another will this year and my daughter will in 2022.

Beyond that - I dislike all the DVC teams for one week (when WV plays them) and then I root for them in all the non con games and the playoffs etc (even Neuqua!:p).

After that - I like to follow western burbs teams: Wheatons, Oswego’s, Montini, Plainfield’s, Hinsdale Central, Glenbard’s Bolingbrook (that’s eight Bones - In my mind The Brook is a western burbs team and not a Southtown team! From my house I can be in Bolingbrook in like 15 minutes assuming I get the lights right!). I could go on and on and list other teams I keep an eye one.
etc.

I really like the board as I can get such a better view on what’s happening in areas and conferences I know nothing about. I guess that’s why I also like the daily herald so much! I can read about the northern teams like Palatine, Barrington, Stevie, LZ etc etc as well as the Fox Valley conference teams etc. in addition to the DuPage teams.

Last edited:
I am also May 29,2001, I think that was a date that Edgy reset something, because I know i was a member prior to that

I don't know. Maybe Edgy can help with this.

Grew up a Joliet Catholic fan. Played there, coached there for awhile and have sent three kids through there. Have one there now and another that will be there next year. Other than the Hilltoppers, I typically root for the southside Catholic teams, mostly because I have met a lot of great people from those schools. I also tend to pull for the JT schools and a few other's for various reasons and people I know there (HInsdale Central, Bolingbrook, LA. Oswego)

Keep them coming guys. Very interesting stuff and remarkable about how much all of us are alike in that we all love high school sports. I'm into football and baseball mainly as those are the games I played in high school. I can certainly identify with almost everything that's been said on this thread so far.
Interestingly, I seem to be gaining an affinity or kind of friendship with some of you even though we have never met.

I don't really have a school I don't like or have animosity towards and mainly I love to see these kids put forth their efforts on and off the field. Really great when some of these kids get that college scholarship either in in athletics or in academics. Also, a credit to Edgy and this board for getting these kids noticed by colleges as they go forward in life.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
Keep them coming guys. Very interesting stuff and remarkable about how much all of us are alike in that we all love high school sports. I'm into football and baseball mainly as those are the games I played in high school. I can certainly identify with almost everything that's been said on this thread so far.
Interestingly, I seem to be gaining an affinity or kind of friendship with some of you even though we have never met.

I don't really have a school I don't like or have animosity towards and mainly I love to see these kids put forth their efforts on and off the field. Really great when some of these kids get that college scholarship either in in athletics or in academics. Also, a credit to Edgy and this board for getting these kids noticed by colleges as they go forward in life.
If you don't have a school you dislike and are looking for one I offer Andrew, Providence, and HF.

Reactions: Skins93 and Gene K.
I miss scrambler8 I believe who also had a son destined for Drake U. LWeast dad. Only been with Edgy as a paying customer for a few years a long time ago...freeloading since. LWE since 2002 second year of the Program with ties to coaches and administrators.

Reactions: MWittman
We're Chicago Christian fans living in the Lockport district. One of my daughters actually went there for a year. I really wish Lockport could get competitive again. I know coach Dan Starkey and really think the world of him. Sorry Cat Box, I just don't like Aurora Christian too much. Love your posts , it's just an old grudge I can't get past

Reactions: Cat Box
Guessing you played on a team that Provi beat en route to their 1998 4A title? Good year for wine. Have a seat on my couch and tell me about this traumatic year. Just kidding. Hopefully you don’t dislike PC for a more serious reason.

A lot of people on this site claim that the private schools are dominating it. And that there is no love for the public schools. Could be true to an extent as the private school fans seem to be more passionate about their teams. There are however a lot of public school fans who I thoroughly enjoy reading their posts on their team and appear very passionate about their schools. There are also some very spirited discussions between bloggers who appear to have axes to grind about other schools.

I am a Montini fan first and a CCL fan second. Went to both public and private schools and so did my children. Always root for the schools I went to and also the schools that my kids, grand kids and nieces and nephews went to. Interesting enough, the Chicago Tribune's Mike Clark has only 5 private schools on his list of the top 20 schools in the Chicago Area. Even though math was not my top subject that means that 75 percent of the top teams in the area are public schools in his opinion.

What are some of the teams you guys root for both your own school and other schools, public or private? What are some of the teams you really don't like and why is that? Would really like to see where your loyalties lie and the reasoning behind it.

With the exception of Providence, I root for all CCL teams. I have countless friends from all these schools (including several that closed). I also pull for Neuqua Valley because several nephews attended there, and one who played briefly. I also like Evergreen Park because they let me be a substitute teacher when I was home on leave, and I made some needed $.

Re Providence, about 15 years ago, at Gately, some PC fans parked three minivans across seven or eight parking spots, and spread folding chairs across several more. The lot was very full and I asked one of the dads if they could move some of their stuff. He snottily said that they had every right to those spaces and had no intention of moving. I said, "Well, enjoy your beer, the Chicago police will be here in a few minutes to confiscate it." I didn't actually report them to the cops, but I thought hard about it.

Along with PC, I can't stand Cary Grove or HF.

About 10 years ago, we had a playoff game at CG. First, a bus full of MC parents were refused access to the parking lot because "there might be alcohol on the bus." No bus inspection was conducted, but the bus did have to park well down the street. There was no beer. Meanwhile, MC fans in line for tickets were berated by some elderly staff lady. She walked up and down the line screaming, "You people better not be sneaking liquor in here" and "We better not catch you people smoking in the stands." I don't believe that "you people" was said lovingly. She just kept it up and up. Later, during the game, local police were cruising our stands looking for smokers. Seriously. For fun, several guys claimed that cigarette smoke was coming from the CG stands.

Homewood Flossmoor has a history of keeping visiting fans out of the stadium by claiming that too many visiting fans created a fire hazard. Meanwhile, Edgy posters over the years reported empty seats at such games. Further, they pulled a sneaky stunt a few years back against Stevenson. Fans from Stevenson made a long, long trek to HF on the Friday night of Labor Day weekkend. Lightning delayed the game for a while, and a minute after 9pm, HF officials claimed that the game must be postponed 'til the next evening. All those Stevenson players and fans had to drive all the way back to Lincolnshire and return the next night. I believe HF lost that game. Good.

I'm listed as one of the 2001 guys, as well, but I am confident that I was posting before that. I don't recall exactly when, but then I don't recall where I left my teeth.

With the exception of Providence, I root for all CCL teams. I have countless friends from all these schools (including several that closed). I also pull for Neuqua Valley because several nephews attended there, and one who played briefly. I also like Evergreen Park because they let me be a substitute teacher when I was home on leave, and I made some needed $.

Re Providence, about 15 years ago, at Gately, some PC fans parked three minivans across seven or eight parking spots, and spread folding chairs across several more. The lot was very full and I asked one of the dads if they could move some of their stuff. He snottily said that they had every right to those spaces and had no intention of moving. I said, "Well, enjoy your beer, the Chicago police will be here in a few minutes to confiscate it." I didn't actually report them to the cops, but I thought hard about it.

Along with PC, I can't stand Cary Grove or HF.

About 10 years ago, we had a playoff game at CG. First, a bus full of MC parents were refused access to the parking lot because "there might be alcohol on the bus." No bus inspection was conducted, but the bus did have to park well down the street. There was no beer. Meanwhile, MC fans in line for tickets were berated by some elderly staff lady. She walked up and down the line screaming, "You people better not be sneaking liquor in here" and "We better not catch you people smoking in the stands." I don't believe that "you people" was said lovingly. She just kept it up and up. Later, during the game, local police were cruising our stands looking for smokers. Seriously. For fun, several guys claimed that cigarette smoke was coming from the CG stands.

Homewood Flossmoor has a history of keeping visiting fans out of the stadium by claiming that too many visiting fans created a fire hazard. Meanwhile, Edgy posters over the years reported empty seats at such games. Further, they pulled a sneaky stunt a few years back against Stevenson. Fans from Stevenson made a long, long trek to HF on the Friday night of Labor Day weekkend. Lightning delayed the game for a while, and a minute after 9pm, HF officials claimed that the game must be postponed 'til the next evening. All those Stevenson players and fans had to drive all the way back to Lincolnshire and return the next night. I believe HF lost that game. Good.

I'm listed as one of the 2001 guys, as well, but I am confident that I was posting before that. I don't recall exactly when, but then I don't recall where I left my teeth.
That’s why you dislike Provi? Wow. You got nothing else? To each their own I guess

Unabashedly a Catholic school guy ... but I have a very petty reason for not liking PC that much.

My senior year, fall of 1990, Providence came down to Belleville for Saturday night game. We always played Saturday night games because we didn’t have her own stadium so game day ritual was that a group of us would go to Shoney’s for the all you could eat breakfast - a big meal that would be dumped by 3:00 and a light meal then ...

Anyway, we’re at the restaurant and a PC mom and dad are they. Both decked out in school gear - dad is even wearing a white hat with the PC name on it.

I walked by their table, nodded courtesouly - got no return nod from the preppy MF’er.

Pissed me off then and I still remember it.

We kicked their ass 35-0 or worse. I was satisfied.

That’s why you dislike Provi? Wow. You got nothing else? To each their own I guess

It's a reflection of your fans' unwarranted arrogance. I've seen your school. A good wind would take it down. It looks like Marist with cows.

You guys get all puffed up over beating tiny schools for championships.

Your radio team features a color commentator who is a complete jerk. He not only criticizes the opponents, he insults them. You were beating us up badly a few years back and that guy just laid into our players and coaches. The play-by-play guy tried to temper him a bit, but to no avail

Finally, you mispronounce the word, "Celtic." It's Kell-tic, not Sell-tic. Don't tell me about the Boston team. Go to Ireland and inquire there.

Nothing else?

Unabashedly a Catholic school guy ... but I have a very petty reason for not liking PC that much.

My senior year, fall of 1990, Providence came down to Belleville for Saturday night game. We always played Saturday night games because we didn’t have her own stadium so game day ritual was that a group of us would go to Shoney’s for the all you could eat breakfast - a big meal that would be dumped by 3:00 and a light meal then ...

Anyway, we’re at the restaurant and a PC mom and dad are they. Both decked out in school gear - dad is even wearing a white hat with the PC name on it.

I walked by their table, nodded courtesouly - got no return nod from the preppy MF’er.

Pissed me off then and I still remember it.

We kicked their ass 35-0 or worse. I was satisfied.

Congratulations on both the victory and your gastro-intestinal system.

It's a reflection of your fans' unwarranted arrogance. I've seen your school. A good wind would take it down. It looks like Marist with cows.

You guys get all puffed up over beating tiny schools for championships.

Your radio team features a color commentator who is a complete jerk. He not only criticizes the opponents, he insults them. You were beating us up badly a few years back and that guy just laid into our players and coaches. The play-by-play guy tried to temper him a bit, but to no avail

Finally, you mispronounce the word, "Celtic." It's Kell-tic, not Sell-tic. Don't tell me about the Boston team. Go to Ireland and inquire there.

Nothing else?
I knew it! It’s slowly coming out. Why Lenti disliked PC

“You guys get all puffed up over beating tiny schools for championships”.

I guess we are going to start this crap again! A title is a title.....

Re Providence, about 15 years ago, at Gately, some PC fans parked three minivans across seven or eight parking spots, and spread folding chairs across several more. The lot was very full and I asked one of the dads if they could move some of their stuff. He snottily said that they had every right to those spaces and had no intention of moving.
That’s funny, I never would have given this another thought, but now that you mention it when our daughter was on cheer we several times had the same problem with Providence fans trying to block off seats in the usually incredibly crowded stands during competitions.
They would then then try to tell you they needed to save the large block of seats for a disabled, elderly grandparent and would get incredibly indignant when told that we would be happy to move as soon as said grandparent arrived, which they never did...

Last edited:
I understand your being angry about the above. I would be angry too. Lack of respect more than anything. Clearly not a good example to set for your kids. It wouldn't have taken much to move several of the folding chairs so a visitor could park. Never had that happen as I always try to get to the game preceding the Varsity game. Have to say I only encountered the reserved seats once and found out it was for the DLS school band so I did not have a problem with it.

I understand your being angry about the above. I would be angry too. Lack of respect more than anything. Clearly not a good example to set for your kids. It wouldn't have taken much to move several of the folding chairs so a visitor could park. Never had that happen as I always try to get to the game preceding the Varsity game. Have to say I only encountered the reserved seats once and found out it was for the DLS school band so I did not have a problem with it.
Gents, been part of Provi for 10 years and I can tell you I have been acquainted with some fabulous people. It’s too bad those parents back then left a bad taste in your mouth. I get your angst. I personally cannot stand Sandburg students and fans. Provi and Sandburg have history on the baseball field and hockey rink. The two schools don’t like each other period.

Reactions: Gene K.
Guessing you played on a team that Provi beat en route to their 1998 4A title? Good year for wine. Have a seat on my couch and tell me about this traumatic year. Just kidding. Hopefully you don’t dislike PC for a more serious reason.
'98 was the year PC lost to MC in the 5A 'ship. Used a ton of cheatcodes to get out of the semis.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT