ADVERTISEMENT

Are there examples of states that have separate private/public championships where the private schools are actually BETTER?

HotBeer

Jul 31, 2017
I do NOT mean this in any context of the current conversation raging on the board, and am not trying to make a point, I'm genuinely curious. Private schools in IL tend to be very competitive with public schools. The only states the I'm aware of that have separate public and private state tournaments are states where the private schools are considered significantly inferior to the publics.

Mississippi has the MAIS (private school league) - the top 1-2 teams there could hang with decent public schools of comparable size but in general the MAIS is made up of tiny schools and is significantly outclassed by public competition.

In Alabama, the larger, competitive privates play with the publics in the AHSAA, and the smaller privates made their own league (AISA) to avoid playing anyone else. Georgia combines public and private like IL.

Those are just a few I am familiar with. Are there any states that split them on account of the privates being too competitive?

Tennessee splits their divisions by public and privates. However, it is worth noting that their public schools are vastly superior to the private schools here. This was most evident in the absolute drubbing that Memphis Whitehaven gave SHG at Ken "Public Schools have an unfair advantage" Leonard Field in 2013.

It was an embarrassing way for an alleged premiere program to represent our state. They should have disbanded the program immediately following, but since then SHG has taken more losses to run of the mill public school programs (MacArthur, Glenwood, Jacksonville, Morris, ad infinitum). Maybe SHG and the like should pray to GrossNoises instead.

In Connecticut they split the public’s / privates and the best private schools would torch the best public schools. If a kid is a good ball player he’ll get recruited away fairly routinely. Although most of those schools are focused around SW Connecticut near NYC and that area and those schools are just dripping with money. It’s eye popping in terms of tuition ($60K+), facilities, resources, scholarships, etc. that those schools have. Although CT probably has the strongest private school culture in the country. The schools for reference are the likes of Choate, Cheshire Academy, Avon Old Farms, etc.

Reactions: Snetsrak61
They have split the private schools in Virginia in all sports. I’ve officiated both this year. The game at the private school level is different - bigger stronger faster doesn’t do it justice.

Reactions: DMurph11
NJ, 23 state titles this year baby! The privates get 95% of the talent…it truly is a sad state of affairs, but I’m sure they will add another 2 or 3 state classes next year like they did last because some parents made a fuss! Everybody gets a trophy!

NJ, 23 state titles this year baby! The privates get 95% of the talent…it truly is a sad state of affairs, but I’m sure they will add another 2 or 3 state classes next year like they did last because some parents made a fuss! Everybody gets a trophy!
23 state championships at play is an affront to common decency.

Maybe an unpopular opinion…I think 8 that IL has is close to perfect.

Popular opinion: 6 is the perfect number.

Tennessee splits their divisions by public and privates. However, it is worth noting that their public schools are vastly superior to the private schools here. This was most evident in the absolute drubbing that Memphis Whitehaven gave SHG at Ken "Public Schools have an unfair advantage" Leonard Field in 2013.

It was an embarrassing way for an alleged premiere program to represent our state. They should have disbanded the program immediately following, but since then SHG has taken more losses to run of the mill public school programs (MacArthur, Glenwood, Jacksonville, Morris, ad infinitum). Maybe SHG and the like should pray to GrossNoises instead.
Maryville & Alcoa recruit better than any private school in the country yet get away with it.Lipscomb just got punished by TSSAA for violations & are suing

I can get behind a good troll, but blatantly spreading false (not only false, but the exact opposite of what actually happened) information...cmon lol. However, I suppose you could assert this is the ultimate troll, as it nonetheless resulted in my engagement...but from GrossNoises I've come to expect a steady diet of antagonizing via hilarious personal insults and dubious stereotypes. Resorting to this...Have you lost your fastball? Haha ;)

That 2013 team was special...For those interested in seeing the clinic The Cycs and Gabe + Malik put on:

Last edited:
Maryland has complete separation of public and private schools and the top private school leagues (there's no "state association" for private schools) are much stronger than anything the public schools are putting out in most sports.

Maryland has complete separation of public and private schools and the top private school leagues (there's no "state association" for private schools) are much stronger than anything the public schools are putting out in most sports.
Do they play each other?

Do they play each other?
Rarely. A few years ago one of the catholic school powers (Good Counsel) played a series against a strong public school program (Northwest) and the scores were 58-21 and 56-7. I went to the second game, it was 49-0 at halftime and probably could have finished 98-0 if they had wanted it to. And that Good Counsel team finished third in the WCAC.

Currently 11 of the top 13 teams in the state are private schools on calpreps.

Basketball is even more private school dominated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT