ADVERTISEMENT

LWE @ The Brook

Cross Bones

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2001
Got a chance to see both this weekend. I think it was clear neither team looked their best. Perhaps the Sunday afternoon game on a sloppy (but not bad considering how much rain we got) against a team fighting for the playoffs played a significant role today, however I think LWE would have to be 4 TD favorites considering all. Do I think we can compete? Absolutely, but the margin for error is razor thin for us and we'll have to play our best for 48 minutes.

Big key (as in any game) I think will be turnovers. I don't doubt Brook can play with East, they have the players and athleticism. If Brook can force a few turnovers and really force East to pass then this game is a pick'em.

My belief is that East will be prepared scheme-wise and is always able to make halftime adjustments.

My guess: East 21 Brook 17

Big key (as in any game) I think will be turnovers. I don't doubt Brook can play with East, they have the players and athleticism. If Brook can force a few turnovers and really force East to pass then this game is a pick'em.

My belief is that East will be prepared scheme-wise and is always able to make halftime adjustments.

That's going to be the key. Also, vice versa. I like our WR's against their DB's/LB's. Running? Not so much unless opened up by the passing game.

Another will be slowing down the LWE D line and slowing down the pass rush....do that and can LWE defend over the top with Brook receivers?

Reactions: Cross Bones
The more I see of HF, the more impressed I become by LWE by virtue of their victory over the Vikings. Yet, Bolingbrook played HF tough for 3 quarters and so did LWW (the latter of which is flying under the radar with losses only to HF plus LWC and could be a tough draw if they sneak into 6A).
Anyway, LWE seems to be answering the bell each time with wins over C-M, Maine South, HF and LWC. Regarding pass rush of LWE, I know it was back in Week 2, but they seemed to pressure the MS pass by maintaining their lanes and trying to keep the QB in front of them even when he occasionally broke contain. Several key completions were thrown right at the boundary on the run and completed with great catches.
Tough call between heading out to Raider Way or Gately for MC/Provi on Friday.

Reactions: badfrog68
So, if Bolingbrook wins..and LWW, LWC and HF win...will there be a 5 way tie for first place in the Southwest Suburban?

Not sure how that would work since the IHSA does not seem to be counting the LWW/LWC game in week 2 as a conference game.

If they do, LWW drops down to 6 - 2 in conference with only 1 non-con game on the schedule and is not included in that tie.

If they don't, LWC is 5 -1 in conference and 1 game short in the win column.

Amazing this post isn't getting more interest than it is.... two really good teams and traditional rivals going head to head in the last game of the regular season.....

Reactions: Cross Bones
Amazing this post isn't getting more interest than it is.... two really good teams and traditional rivals going head to head in the last game of the regular season.....

I was going to say something but it required a war metaphor so I just decided to stay out of it.

Reactions: mc140
I think people are ready for the playoffs to begin. Not to mention the few past seasons for us casts doubt on this team. Anyways this one is almost like old times with the conference on the line. If we get anything like the 1st six matchups then I'll be a happy camper.

Agreed Bones, more than anything I just want this to be a tight and competitive game the whole way. I think both teams have the ability to put on a rout (with forcing mistakes/turnovers). My hope is that the players and fans are in for a treat with a big battle.

Realistically, the Conference Championship as well. Not taking Bolingbrook lightly.

I’m really curious as to how this isn’t the game of the week that everyone is beyond obsessed about?

Don't know about running clock, but hoping to see Brook stay competitive. Gotta eliminate turnovers and having everyone fighting like dogs every play. And your payoff for winning, besides conf co-champ bragging rights, is to push LWE down into your lower bracket for the playoffs. Nice incentive.

I’m really curious as to how this isn’t the game of the week that everyone is beyond obsessed about?

Look at the views ( as of this post)
For the Catholic League Prep Bowl question - Views:2,121
For this question - Views 842

Tells you why - more posters want to know about the Prep Bowl than this game.

If we can get some people to start taking shots at the LWE or Brook coach like the prep bowl thread, Im sure we can get the views up.

Reactions: Bwm57

As a CCL Blue fan but also a consumer of all Illinois HS football, my feeling about this game is lukewarm due to the 'Brooks second half vs HF. Not completely directed at you Beast dad but to you and other followers of these teams, why am I wrong to feel lukewarm toward the matchup. Is the 'Brook that improved since HF, am I reading the HF result wrong, is this a good matchup for the 'Brook to exploit some things?

As a CCL Blue fan but also a consumer of all Illinois HS football, my feeling about this game is lukewarm due to the 'Brooks second half vs HF. Not completely directed at you Beast dad but to you and other followers of these teams, why am I wrong to feel lukewarm toward the matchup. Is the 'Brook that improved since HF, am I reading the HF result wrong, is this a good matchup for the 'Brook to exploit some things?

No 'soup, you are not wrong, that is your feeling, and you are a CCL fan.

Iwas just stating fact about how things are viewed on this board. I've taken a lot of flak over the years for calling this a CCL board, but facts are facts.

Reactions: doctor_d

To be fair - the Prep bowl thread has been up much longer than this thread. Spot any thread multiple days - and they will have a lot more views!

EDIT - apologies LWeastDad is 100% correct - I just checked the tread start date and this one was Sunday and Prep Bowl Monday. Wow I guess it just seems that Prep Bowl thread has been around for Eons of time! (kinda like the No Cutler Thread)

again apologies LWeastDad!!

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_4vszfu35bv677
No 'soup, you are not wrong, that is your feeling, and you are a CCL fan.

Iwas just stating fact about how things are viewed on this board. I've taken a lot of flak over the years for calling this a CCL board, but facts are facts.

Maybe I should've just put as a 3rd party observer but fan of HS football, these are the reasons yada yada yada. People were wondering why there wasn't more buzz, I stated my reasons and I think it's going to be a LWE victory by 2 maybe 3 scores. And I was hoping people told me, no you should watch this cause ...I like HS football Beast pops

To be fair - the Prep bowl thread has been up much longer than this thread. Spot any thread multiple days - and they will have a lot more views!

EDIT - apologies LWeastDad is 100% correct - I just checked the tread start date and this one was Sunday and Prep Bowl Monday. Wow I guess it just seems that Prep Bowl thread has been around for Eons of time! (kinda like the No Cutler Thread)

again apologies LWeastDad!!

The difference is this thread is limited to 2 teams while the prep bowl covers two different leagues as well as individuals who have opinions about the prep bowl fairness.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
The difference is this thread is limited to 2 teams while the prep bowl covers two different leagues as well as individuals who have opinions about the prep bowl fairness.
Darn it, now we have another prep bowl thread. :D As an outside observer, someone please tell me why I should be intrigued by the matchup other than one excellent team playing a very good team. I see Beast by at least 10. Am I wrong?

How is the BB Sophomore team? That game is tonight and I was wondering if there are any conference implications as well.

Darn it, now we have another prep bowl thread. :D As an outside observer, someone please tell me why I should be intrigued by the matchup other than one excellent team playing a very good team. I see Beast by at least 10. Am I wrong?
I am of the same opinion. I watched the Brook/HF game. It was a good game for 2.50 quarters. Maybe the Brook is better than they showed at the end of the HF game. I need to see it, though. Coming into the LWE game, I don't see it being all that close. That's why my expectations are tempered for this matchup.

Reactions: RockSoup
I guess I would ask myself which team I thought was the real team, half 1 or half 2?

Reactions: RockSoup
I'm sorry...I was doing math equations to derive the weighted averages of the teams most likely cause 7A/8A shifts. What was the question again?

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
I guess I would ask myself which team I thought was the real team, half 1 or half 2?

I am relying in what you have been saying all year, that BB is a young team overall. Young teams tend to make mistakes/turnovers in games like this. Especially against an experienced opponent who has been winning high profile games all year.

Got a chance to see both this weekend. I think it was clear neither team looked their best. Perhaps the Sunday afternoon game on a sloppy (but not bad considering how much rain we got) against a team fighting for the playoffs played a significant role today, however I think LWE would have to be 4 TD favorites considering all. Do I think we can compete? Absolutely, but the margin for error is razor thin for us and we'll have to play our best for 48 minutes.

so if Brook wins, are they the favorite going onto the playoffs, or would this be considered more a true upset? LWE seems awfully capable of just being able to out play teams, but that does not mean simply always winning.

LWE has to be the favorite, as i see no obvious place to exploit them - o, d, or st. Brook has to win by doing those things that NFL coaches talk about, win penalties, win TO's, and in my opinion, run the ball effectively.

so if Brook wins, are they the favorite going onto the playoffs, or would this be considered more a true upset? LWE seems awfully capable of just being able to out play teams, but that does not mean simply always winning.

LWE has to be the favorite, as i see no obvious place to exploit them - o, d, or st. Brook has to win by doing those things that NFL coaches talk about, win penalties, win TO's, and in my opinion, run the ball effectively.

Unless they have injuries along the Dline I don't think anyone runs on them. Through the air is the way to beat them. A mobile QB who can make them miss and throw downfield is the way to beat them. Easier said then done. But it can be done.

Turnovers would definitely help. I would say the key for us is stop the run and pass well. If they have to use everyone in pass coverage the run will open up. If they have to be a passing team I like our chances as long as Pringle is on Henning. But if we can't stop the run it doesn't matter.

Turnovers would definitely help. I would say the key for us is stop the run and pass well. If they have to use everyone in pass coverage the run will open up. If they have to be a passing team I like our chances as long as Pringle is on Henning. But if we can't stop the run it doesn't matter.
I don't know how fast Pringle is but they better put someone over the top on Henning. He's so fast and can catch. Dang it! Also someone has got to spy the QB. If he leads LWE in rushing it's over.

I don't know how fast Pringle is but they better put someone over the top on Henning. He's so fast and can catch. Dang it! Also someone has got to spy the QB. If he leads LWE in rushing it's over.
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Reactions: MS4EVER
So
I have been very quiet this season. Personal reasons. I have been paying attention and seeing
East has been very good this year. Some of you old timers know my sons both played for East. Defense is special to my family and especially the D-line. Now from what I hear the D-line is again very special this year. My oldest son played D-line in 2005 and that year they were considered the best in the state. Flat out you had to deal with them as they were very big and fast. Now as much as I love to talk about the D-line that year East was stacked at LB and DB. Bones you know this as we have know each other back then. I think Bones hit it on the head in regards to the secondary. In 2005 East had 2 DBs that were 6 1” and 6 2” both fast and athletic. A safety that was the fastest on the team. These 2 teams always play each other very tough no matter. The key here from what I see is how can the East DB’s cover the BB receiviers? East D-Line will stop the run and put pressure on the QB . Will East blitz their LB’ers or will BB have enough time to get their receivers open? This game will be interesting to see just how good East is and how bad they want it this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT