ADVERTISEMENT

618 Talk Week 7: Lancers Win Thriller

Formicidae13

Aug 9, 2019
For as much parity as Southern Illinois has seemed to have this year, we’ve had a surprisingly low number of down to the wire finishes. Belleville East versus O’Fallon gave us a sorely-needed fix in that category in a game of the year candidate but more on that later.
The Mississippi Valley is set up for their biggest game of the year: rivals Highland and Troy Triad for the conference championship. In other news, the South Seven continues to prove me wrong like clockwork.

Southwestern
Belleville East(5-1) 31-28 O’Fallon(2-4): Faced with fourth and goal from the 18 yard line, Belleville East trailed 28-24 with 20 ticks left on the scoreboard. Armon Vinson(who finished with 327 passing yards) delivered a strike to Justin Spears, who broke an arm tackle on the way to the end zone for the winning touchdown. This conference game was back and forth all day: The Lancers once led 10-0, trailed 14-10, and led 24-14 before ultimately winning. Those back and forth swings are largely tied to sloppy play on both ends, such as three lost fumbles from Belleville East and two interceptions tossed by O'Fallon.
Takeaways? Belleville East continues to look more legit and have yet to falter to anyone outside of East St. Louis. They now have two last minute wins under their belt(recall a 24-21 win over Collinsville week 1), so perhaps clutch is an apt description for this Lancer lineup. This week, Belleville East has a chance to improve to 6-1 and move into second in the Southwestern standings when they host Edwardsville(6-0). To end a 12 game losing streak to the Tigers, Belleville East will need to play a much cleaner game than last week. Edwardsville stomped O'Fallon 47-14 earlier this year, so they are a moderate favorite at worst. O'Fallon should end a four game skid next week versus Belleville West(2-4) before going to 4-4 over Alton(1-5). Their playoff aspirations will likely come down to a week 9 trip to Cahokia, where the Comanches will probably be 4-4 too.
Other scores: East St. Louis(4-2) 63-0 Belleville West(2-4) | Edwardsville(6-0) 56-8 Alton(1-5)

Mississippi Valley
Triad(4-2) 34-17 Mascoutah(2-4): Not sure what Vegas had the line at on this one, but the Knights certainly covered with a 17 point margin. Strangely, the usually pass-heavy Knights won this game on the ground with 329 rushing yards. Running back Colin Qualls did most of that damage, picking up 177 yards and 3TDs on 26 runs.
While conference play goes until week week 8, a champion will essentially be crowned when Highland(5-1) visits Troy Triad(4-2) put their 3-0 league records on the line. For those not from southern Illinois, this is one of the area's biggest rivalries and should have great attendance. Based on their common opponents, Highland comes into this one as a bit of a favorite, yet nothing insurmountable. Both teams can afford a loss here, especially Highland who still has Jersey(2-4) and St. Teresa(1-5) on the schedule. Troy will play at home again in week eight against MVC punching bag Civic Memorial(2-4) and should not be too stressed about the chase to five.
Waterloo(2-4) 21-12 Jersey(2-4): This result came as a bit of a surprise, but far from a shock. The Bulldogs kept their season alive with what they know best: running the ball. Led by 177 yards from Derez Sayles, they finished with 264 yards and 3 TDs on the ground. A total of six takeaways came in this one(4 for Waterloo & 2 for Jersey), point to this one not being the sharpest either of these offenses have played.
I thought Jersey may have a playoff window before this loss, but it has been slammed pretty well shut. Besides being a huge underdog to Highland in week 8, they need to take down Mascoutah(2-4) this week who will also be playing for their postseason dreams. That contest could go other way based on what these squads have shown this year.
Other scores: Highland(5-1) 63-8 Civic Memorial(2-4)

South Seven
Centralia(2-4) 43-20 Marion(4-2): Even after learning the Wildcats were banged up, this one floors me. Just two weeks ago, my forecast for the Wildcats was either 9-0 or 8-1, but they have dropped two since then. The Orphans, whose only previous win came via forfeit, winning this one by 23 points makes me wonder if they've finally found themselves?
Centralia will need to embrace their underdog role for the season's final three weeks, starting with a drive up to Cahokia(3-3) this Friday. The Comanches are trending as well and have only lost one game on the field, so Centralia will need to shock some people again to stay alive. Marion should survive this loss, but it seems probable they'll find themselves on the wrong end of the scoreboard again this week against 7A Collinsville(3-3). Not sure what to expect out of their week 8 tussle with Carbondale(4-4), but I love the Wildcats week nine over a one win Mattoon team if it comes to that.
Cahokia(3-3) 36-28 Mt. Vernon(3-3): The Comanches have had one of the most interesting seasons so far in all of the IHSA and this win came at a critical time for them. Two of their losses tie back to forfeits(one at the end of what was going to be a running clock victory and their next game), while the other came versus 7A power Edwardsville. Since then, they knocked off previously unbeaten Marion 14-0 and they have now added a win over the Rams to their list of accomplishments.
So what's next for Cahokia? They host Centralia(2-4) this weekend for what is their best chance at a victory left. After that, they'll need at least one victory over 7A Collinsville(3-3) or 7A O'Fallon(2-4) to reach the playoffs. They'd certainly make for a prickly 5-4 draw if they can make that happen. Mt. Vernon should get back in the win column this week against Granite City(0-6). The Rams should also pick up one of their final two games versus Centralia(2-4) and Alton(1-5) to play in week 10.
Other scores: Carbondale(4-2) 54-0 Granite City(0-6) | Next at Lighthouse Christian, MO(1-3)

Other Notables
Althoff(5-1) 38-27 Collinsville(3-3): Are the Kahoks your average 7A team? No, but this is still a nice feather in the cap for the 1A Catholics. Knocking off their superior-enrollment foes did not come easy, however. Three early passing TDs from Collinsville quarterback Darren Pennell gave the home team a 21-6 lead with just 2:20 remaining in the half. That's when Dierre Hill Jr. took over the game for the Crusaders. On offense, he finished with 161 rushing yards on 14 carries, 44 receiving yards on two grabs and a two-point conversion. Defensively, he snagged two interceptions, including a 36 yard house call late in the third and he added 40 more yards on his other INT return. Collinsville tacked on a touchdown on the final play of the game to make this one finish as a two possession game.

Last edited:
Belleville East(5-1) 31-28 O’Fallon(2-4): Armon Vinson to Armon Justin Spears ... To end a (Lancer's) 12 game losing streak to the Tigers ... O'Fallon playoff aspirations will likely come down to a week 9 trip to Cahokia ...

Two Armons ... now they need some hammers. I am not convinced they will do much in the playoffs until it is proven. I see them getting whooped by Eville. And O'Felon will likely fall to the Comanches.

Mississippi Valley
Triad(4-2) 34-17 Mascoutah(2-4): Strangely, the usually pass-heavy Knights won this game on the ground with 329 rushing yards.

Like departed Coach Bassler said, we don't get the kids who can fling it around, we get kids who can run the ball, that is why we play the offense we run. Maybe they had a come to Jesus moment and realized the validity of that statement.

Cahokia(3-3) 36-28 Mt. Vernon(3-3): Two of the Comanche's losses tie back to forfeits(one at the end of what was going to be a running clock victory and their next game, while the other came versus 7A power Edwardsville.

This will be one of those "Aww, nah, this is BS" draws because of those losses. Their QB is legit.

Althoff(5-1) 38-27 Collinsville(3-3):
Not an upset. This is Collinsville.

Reactions: Formicidae13
Belleville East(5-1) 31-28 O’Fallon(2-4): Armon Vinson to Armon Justin Spears ... To end a (Lancer's) 12 game losing streak to the Tigers ... O'Fallon playoff aspirations will likely come down to a week 9 trip to Cahokia ...

Two Armons ... now they need some hammers. I am not convinced they will do much in the playoffs until it is proven. I see them getting whooped by Eville. And O'Felon will likely fall to the Comanches.

Mississippi Valley
Triad(4-2) 34-17 Mascoutah(2-4): Strangely, the usually pass-heavy Knights won this game on the ground with 329 rushing yards.

Like departed Coach Bassler said, we don't get the kids who can fling it around, we get kids who can run the ball, that is why we play the offense we run. Maybe they had a come to Jesus moment and realized the validity of that statement.

Cahokia(3-3) 36-28 Mt. Vernon(3-3): Two of the Comanche's losses tie back to forfeits(one at the end of what was going to be a running clock victory and their next game, while the other came versus 7A power Edwardsville.

This will be one of those "Aww, nah, this is BS" draws because of those losses. Their QB is legit.

Althoff(5-1) 38-27 Collinsville(3-3):
Not an upset. This is Collinsville.
Unfortunately the second Armon for Belleville East was a typo, it’s just Justin Spears. Edwardsville certainly could pour it on them this week, but I felt that way last year before the Lancers took them to double overtime in a 28-27 loss. They definitely need to prove they can at least hang with Edwardsville this weekend.
Triad has the passing capabilities this year(they averaged over 240 before Mascoutah), so it was more likely matchup dependent than a lack of ability to throw. If that’s the case, Mascoutah could struggle to stop Waterloo/Jersey who have strong rushing attacks.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
lol ur forecast for marion … did you know they’ve played 3 backup quarterbacks started 11 sophomores and had nobody on the oline over 250.. do you just score watch? that’s the worst way to evaluate teams is score watch…

lol ur forecast for marion … did you know they’ve played 3 backup quarterbacks started 11 sophomores and had nobody on the oline over 250.. do you just score watch? that’s the worst way to evaluate teams is score watch…
I read as much as I can on teams but unfortunately the further teams get from St. Louis, the harder information is to find. STLtoday does a great job with stat collection/roster for their area teams. But they don’t get most of the South Seven and I’m yet to find a great stat source in the southernmost part of the stat.
Thanks for the intel, that makes a lot of sense.

Some eye-opening scores tonight
•Edwardsville won 49-45 over Belleville East after trailing 24-7 at halftime. Tough way to lose, but a very nice showing for the Lancers
•Jersey defend their home field 33-14 versus Mascoutah. In essentially a playoff game between two 2-4 teams, the Panthers kept their hopes alive for another week. Still need to slay a monster called Highland next week to stay alive. Indians will miss the playoffs for the first time since 2017
•Highland wins 36-7 over Triad in the Bulldog’s best showing of the year. Highland’s only other win over a team with a winning record this year was over 4A Breese Central week 1, so pouring it on their rivals is encouraging.

I read as much as I can on teams but unfortunately the further teams get from St. Louis, the harder information is to find. STLtoday does a great job with stat collection/roster for their area teams. But they don’t get most of the South Seven and I’m yet to find a great stat source in the southernmost part of the stat.
Thanks for the intel, that makes a lot of sense.
sorry i was just upset on the lack of players who went out for football this year it’s an embarrassment to marion football

Reactions: Formicidae13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT