ADVERTISEMENT

Honest question about All conference

Fioras

Oct 28, 2019
How is All conference selected? Who nominates and who picks ?

Some of the All conference selections for 1st are out. My question, how can kids be recruited and offered by D1 top schools and still not make 1st team all conference when it looks like 24 kids made CCL and 40 make first team O and D for DVC?

Fioras

Some of the All conference selections for 1st are out. My question, how can kids be recruited and offered by D1 top schools and still not make 1st team all conference when it looks like 24 kids made CCL and 40 make first team O and D for DVC?

Fioras

What does recruiting have to do with it?

Fioras

Most conferences base it off of play in conference games/cross overs only.

Most conferences base it off of play in conference games/cross overs only.

So does each coach get a certain amount of kids to nominate

You would think a kid posting on social media all the D1 offers he has, they would at least get 1st team all conference -no?

Last edited:

You would think a kid posting on social media all the D1 offers he has, they would at least get 1st team all conference -no?

Did he play in all the conference games? What place did they take? Do they have one team or multiple teams? Every Conference is different. Some go by straight votes, some are hybrids based on place in conference and votes.

Reactions: Gene K.

Do NFL GM’s only take guys that were all conference?

I've been in multiple conferences that have done it where each team automatically gets 1. Then you get another 1 for each team win. However, I'm sure there are conferences that do it differently.

I think the coaches vote on what they see on the field. Sometimes a kid hyped up on the DeepDish has a few off nights.

Most coaches vote based on what they saw on the field, not on film. There are very few injured kids that miss 2 plus games that make all conference.

Not exactly if you have the measurables. There are way more non all conference caliber high school players playing d1 then you know.

I guess what I mean is they won’t recruit a kid who is just walking down the school halls. If you play and have the measurables then you have a shot. If your a starter even better. Being all stater okay but not a sure bet unless you have the measurables. :)

Not totally true. They have to be good in high school to be even noticed for recruiting.
http://www.althoffcatholic.org/tinymce/filemanager/files/Boudreaux.pdf

Schott recruited this gangly band member, son of a Scott Air Base commander and 300 high hurdler to play football sophomore year. And he was awful - the whipping boy for two years and just ok his senior year. Nevertheless, NW recruited the student athlete pretty much from what they saw of him just standing on the sideline. That’s was a 6/6 245 hurdler with a 33 act! He was ok in college - but the Rams saw he was now about 280 - and still fast and STRONG! Drafter and played some - an injury ended that.

Not sure he ever started at high school or college before senior year.

So after that - he became a Body Man for W, aka Peloton One, as he could keep up with the president in bike rides. We had lunch a year ago - still friggen massive and now trained to be deadly.

I guess what I mean is they won’t recruit a kid who is just walking down the school halls. If you play and have the measurables then you have a shot. If your a starter even better. Being all stater okay but not a sure bet unless you have the measurables. :)
I agree -

There will always be the exception where a player breaks through to the next level in a non-traditional sense. By and large though a kid that wants to play football at the next level - with some level of choice between schools -

it really helps:

to play at one of the right high schools, in a good conference, attend a few camps, have good grades, be all-conference, be the right size for the position you play, and have a good little pr machine behind you.

In my opinion - the last item is only important if all the other boxes are checked. I have seen it make the difference with kids that have similar talents, size, and grades in the choices of schools they have at the next level.

Every conference is different. CCL/ESCC obviously gives 8 selections to the first place team, 7 selections to 2nd place, and so on... There appears to be no position parameters.

The conference I was involved in assigned a number of selections to each team based on their wins, and the teams then told the league who their own all-conference players were. We had no say on other teams' players.

It makes no difference for recruiting. The all-conference teams are starting to come out now, on Halloween... Is recruiting starting now? No, recruiting is wrapping up for this class. For the most part, the best players will tend to fall into both categories, but not necessarily. We've all seen dozens of players who were All-Area in Chicagoland and All-State in Illinois that we knew weren't going to be big time college players.

Catch 22 I think has it correct for a lot of conferences. I know for a fact that for baseball the Upstate 8 (this is 4 yrs ago) gave you a number of All-Conference players based on where you finished in the conference. There was no voting on All-Conference either, the coach of that school picked his All-Conference players. So I really enjoyed it when a HS coach would tell one of his players that he barely missed all conference. Yeah well no crap buddy you were the one picking our players.

I have no idea how all-conference voting works today, but in the late 70's / early 80's this how it worked at JCA / JCHS.

Everybody broke out into groups, my group was offensive linemen and the coach(es) told us we had to vote for 4 best DL & LB we played against (4 of each) that were not on our team. We talked as a group and decided on the 4 best DL & LB while the coach took notes and then it was over. I assume it was essentially the same for the other groups.

Then the coaching staff submitted those votes to the conference.

EDIT: AKA it was truly a pick from your peers, or at least it was supposed to work that way. I can't be sure all teams did it that way.

Some of it is almost laughable..clearly a case of each school gets X amount of players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT