ADVERTISEMENT

CS8 Predictions-Week 4

rocketnation

Gold Member
Aug 12, 2017
All Friday night contests with one CS8 vs Big 12 matchup. Lincoln looks to even the CS8/Big 12 series at 3-3 against Peoria Manual.

Lanphier (0-3) at Eisenhower (0-3)
Last year, Lanphier got its lone win of the season by beating Eisenhower at home 30-18 in Week 7. After 3 weeks, the two teams have combined to score 34 points, while giving up 328. I am taking Eisenhower because they are playing at home and have been slightly better on defense. Eisenhower 18 Lanphier 14

Southeast (0-3) at SHG (2-1)
SHG got a very nice road win last week beating Jacksonville 51-10. They are developing on both sides of the ball, especially at RB where their featured back scored 5 TD's against the Crimsons. Southeast has not traditionally been competitive against the Cyclones. A positive for the Spartans was scoring 26 against U High last week. The defense has given up more than 40 points in two of three weeks. SHG should win by a running clock. SHG 54 Southeast 6

Peoria Manual (0-3) at Lincoln (2-1)
After easily beating the bottom two teams in the CS8, Lincoln came back to earth last week, losing to Springfield 29-12. Manual is 0-3 but was somewhat competitive in losses against Peoria Notre Dame and Champaign Centennial. This is a must win for Lincoln in their quest to make the playoffs for the first time since 1984. So far, they have relied on the Carson twins at RB for most of their offense. This could be a chance to show more of a balanced attack. I think Manual makes this fairly close but that the Railers go to 3-1. Lincoln 29 Manual 16

Jacksonville (2-1) at Rochester (3-0)
After a come from behind last second win against MacArthur in Week 2, Jacksonville lost their QB to injury early last week against SHG and then got running clocked 51-10. They still have the returning CS8 rushing leader in Cam'Ron Mitchell. He scored the sole Crimson TD last week on a kickoff return. Rochester gave up a kickoff TD to MacArthur last week. The Rockets need to clean up some sloppiness on offense, where they had too many drive killing penalties in the first half against Mac. In the second half, they were able to score quickly, mostly on long pass plays. QB Bryan Zulauf has been improved each week, and he has multiple receiving options. Rochester 49 Jacksonville 7

Chatham (3-0) at Springfield (1-2)
Both teams start Sophomores at QB. Chatham won 48-14 in Week 7 last year. They have back-to-back shutouts over Lanphier and Eisenhower. The Titans have scored 149 points and only given up 12, but their opponents through three weeks have a combined record of only 1-8. They have a big offensive line and alternate 2 RB's. Chatham will rely on the running attack as long as it is having success. Against Danville, I did not see a single starter on the Titan defense weighing more than 200 pounds (they do, however, rotate in quite a few players). They are aggressive and pursue well, but I wonder how they will do against a big offensive line with powerful runners (MacArthur-Week 5). Springfield got a must win last week against Lincoln after starting out 0-2. The defense really stepped up and held the Railers offense to a single score. The offense bounced back from a rough game against Rochester and scored a season high 29 points using a balanced attack. Can they build on last week's performance against a better team and get another big win? The Senators have a chance to pull off the upset, particularly if they avoid a slow start. I think this is a one-score game, but the Titans hang on. Chatham 30 Springfield 24

MacArthur (1-2) at U High (2-1)
Last year, MacArthur won in Week 7 14-9 by stopping U High at the goal line late in the game. Mac has big play capability, with their QB, special teams, and particularly the Freshman RB Johnson-Cook. Rochester bottled up Johnson-Cook most of last week. The one time he got loose, Johnson-Cook turned on the speed and scored from over 60 yards out. U High has shown improvement from last season and played well over the first three games. They don't have the weapons on offense that Mac does but are still scoring about 30 points a game. This outcome should be decided by the defenses. U High has been better than last year so far. They gave up 35 points in a Week 2 loss to SHG but were not blown out. Southeast scored 26 last week, but all but one TD was in the 4th Quarter after U High had built a 4-score lead. Mac has surrendered 35 and 49 points the last two weeks. Their defense is not at the level as some of the better recent General teams. In the search for 5 wins, Mac needs this game more than U High. Johnson-Cook is a difference maker. The Generals should win a close one. Mac 34 U High 26

All.... Forgot to add. It's homecoming week at SHG. Always looked at that as an added distraction. Hoping the practices this week are little more intense then usual. ☺️ Ratsy

All.... Forgot to add. It's homecoming week at SHG. Always looked at that as an added distraction. Hoping the practices this week are little more intense then usual. ☺️ Ratsy
Yeah, the boys need to keep the upcoming game with Southeast in focus, NOT the Powder Puff game they'll be coaching this weekend!!!

The Channel 1450 Week 4 picks are in. They have chosen Lanphier (3-0), SHG (3-0), Lincoln (3-0), Rochester (3-0), Chatham (3-0), and MacArthur (3-0).

Reactions: RockSoup
SJR Staff Predictions
Lanphier 20 Eisenhower 16
SHG 56 Southeast 6
Lincoln 41 Peoria Manual 0
Rochester 49 Jacksonville 0
Chatham 35 Springfield 14
MacArthur 35 U High 28

South County Weekly Mr. Pick'Em Predictions
Eisenhower 22 Lanphier 15
SHG 47 Southeast 6
Lincoln 20 Peoria Manual 14
Rochester 56 Jacksonville 20
MacArthur 37 U High 21

South County Weekly Mr. Pick'Em Predictions
Eisenhower 22 Lanphier 15
SHG 47 Southeast 6
Lincoln 20 Peoria Manual 14
Rochester 56 Jacksonville 20
MacArthur 37 U High 21
The Chatham, Rochester, and MacArthur predictions surprise me.

Chatham has a habit of really running it up unnecessarily against inferior opponents. Springfield is not ready for the Chatham running attack. I think it ends Chatham 45-7, with Springfield scoring late during a running clock.

Jacksonville lost its QB and got a clock put on them by SHG. Rochester has defended the run well this year. And the only thing holding them back is if Jacksonville doesn't fumble in yet another attempt to play rugby with them. I see Rochester winning 56-7 with a running clock at the half.

U-High has a very under appreciated defense. Coach Walworth studies offenses well and will have that defense ready. Whether they are fast enough or have the stamina to keep their brains working is another factor. I actually picked U-High in this game because I don't believe the MacArthur offensive line will keep U-High out of the backfield. I see U-High winning 21-18 or 28-18.

Last edited:
Reactions: rocketnation

Chatham has a habit of really running it up unnecessarily against inferior opponents. Springfield is not ready for the Chatham running attack. I think it ends Chatham 45-7, with Springfield scoring late during a running clock.

Jacksonville lost its QB and got a clock put on them by SHG. Rochester has defended the run well this year. And the only thing holding them back is if Jacksonville doesn't fumble in yet another attempt to play rugby with them. I see Rochester winning 56-7 with a running clock at the half.

U-High has a very under appreciated defense. Coach Walworth studies offenses well and will have that defense ready. Whether than are fast enough or have the stamina to keep their brains working is another factor. I actually picked U-High in this game because I don't believe the MacArthur offensive line will keep U-High out of the backfield. I see U-High winning 21-18 or 28-18.
I thought Mac's OL was decent last week. They are large and protected the QB fairly well. They were better than Peoria's OL in my opinion (or Rochester's defense was not quite at their week 1 level). If Mac wins, I think their home game next week against Chatham could be extremely interesting. Chatham is quick and aggressive but small on defense. Both Mac's RB and QB may be bigger than any of the starting Titan defenders.

There is definitely a scenario where Chatham jumps all over Springfield and ends it early. Springfield had a terrible 1st quarter against Rochester. If they can avoid that, however, it could be a close game.

Huge opportunity for U High this week. Can their defense stop the big plays and can their offense score in the range of 24-31 points?

Final Scores
SHG 42 Southeast 0. The Cyclones go to 3-1 and face Springfield next week.

Rochester 56 Jacksonville 0. Bryan Zulauf threw for 5 TD's, 3 to Henry Buecker. Nolan Mrozowski, Tyson Binion, and Eli Carlson all had big gains on the ground, with Carlson getting the running clock TD late in the 2nd Quarter. Cam Ron Mitchell had one nice run for Jacksonville and the Crimsons had several drives into Rocket territory in the 1st half but couldn't score. They tried a 40+ yard field goal in the 2nd quarter but Buecker blocked it.

Eisenhower 46 Lanphier 24. A nice 1st win for Eisenhower. Both teams had some offensive success after struggling the first three weeks, but another rough night for the Lions defense.

U High 28 MacArthur 14. Big win for U High and a disappointing loss for Mac when looking at playoff eligibility. U High led 28-0 at half and Mac's last score came very late in the 4th. Sounds like this game was more one-sided than the final score indicates. I was considering picking Mac to upset Chatham next week at home. Probably can't do that now.

Lincoln 48 Peoria Manual 12. The Railers go to 3-1 and even the CS8 vs Big 12 standings at 3-3.

Chatham 33 Springfield 0. 3rd straight shutout for the Titans. They have only allowed 12 points on the season. At 1-3 and facing SHG next week, Springfield's playoff hopes are hanging by a thread.

Last edited:

U-High has a very under appreciated defense. Coach Walworth studies offenses well and will have that defense ready. Whether they are fast enough or have the stamina to keep their brains working is another factor. I actually picked U-High in this game because I don't believe the MacArthur offensive line will keep U-High out of the backfield. I see U-High winning 21-18 or 28-18.
Good call on the U High defense. They really held Mac down tonight, only 2 scores and one was late in the 4th Quarter.

Last edited:
Reactions: net-se and cigaros
All.... Nope... "Big" trouble in the Mac program I heard this week doomed them... As for the Pioneers they should finish no worse then 6-3. And a one and done in postseason play. Ratsy

Reactions: net-se
All.... Nope... "Big" trouble in the Mac program I heard this week doomed them... As for the Pioneers they should finish no worse then 6-3. And a one and done in postseason play. Ratsy
Were they missing players tonight? From the tv highlights, it did appear that Johnson-Cook played.

All.... Not going to get booted off the board by Edgy for yapping what is going on. Other.... then mentioning self infliction before walking onto the field usually leads to losing. They have two easy ones and should beat Bloomington so next week is now the game.... Ratsy

Reactions: net-se
I see Normal losing to Chatham. But who is their third loss in your prediction. Remember, they don’t play Rochester this year.

MacArthur and Springfield now have only very narrow paths to the playoffs. Mac has to upset Chatham in Week 5 to keep their hopes alive. After last night's games, beating Chatham would be a huge upset. SHG a huge favorite next week against Springfield, meaning the Senators have to win on the road twice against Normal West and Jacksonville in Weeks 7 and 8 to get to 5 wins.

Jacksonville could lose next week to Peoria Notre Dame next week and still qualify but they really need a turn around after back-to-back drubbings by SHG and Rochester. PND is 3-1, and I think they are the favorite even if the Crimsons get their QB back. If Jacksonville loses next week, they have two beat 2 of these 3 (Lincoln, Springfield, and U High).

Assuming Lincoln handles Southeast next week, they have to beat either Jacksonville in Week 6 or U High in Week 8 for their 5th win. A 50-50 proposition at this time. U High trending much better than Jacksonville.

U High should get to 5 wins the next two weeks when playing Lanphier and Urbana. They close the regular season against Lincoln and Jacksonville, both at home. At this point, both are winnable games. 6 wins could get the Pioneers a 1st round home playoff game in 4A, 7 should get them one. Not expecting a win at Chatham Week 7 but it could be a good game.

Reactions: net-se and cigaros
MacArthur and Springfield now have only very narrow paths to the playoffs. Mac has to upset Chatham in Week 5 to keep their hopes alive. After last night's games, beating Chatham would be a huge upset. SHG a huge favorite next week against Springfield, meaning the Senators have to win on the road twice against Normal West and Jacksonville in Weeks 7 and 8 to get to 5 wins.

Jacksonville could lose next week to Peoria Notre Dame next week and still qualify but they really need a turn around after back-to-back drubbings by SHG and Rochester. PND is 3-1, and I think they are the favorite even if the Crimsons get their QB back. If Jacksonville loses next week, they have two beat 2 of these 3 (Lincoln, Springfield, and U High).

Assuming Lincoln handles Southeast next week, they have to beat either Jacksonville in Week 6 or U High in Week 8 for their 5th win. A 50-50 proposition at this time. U High trending much better than Jacksonville.

U High should get to 5 wins the next two weeks when playing Lanphier and Urbana. They close the regular season against Lincoln and Jacksonville, both at home. At this point, both are winnable games. 6 wins could get the Pioneers a 1st round home playoff game in 4A, 7 should get them one. Not expecting a win at Chatham Week 7 but it could be a good game.
I am picking U-High over Glenwood. Glenwood has not faced a Defense yet.

Last edited:
All.... The Cyclones continue dealing with the injury bug. One game at a time as they say. Always a big crowd when SHG and SHS mix it up. K.L. field will be rocking next Friday night. Ratsy P.S. A public service announcement footnote for any of the Titan faithful that frequent and read this site. Nothing wrong at all with stating ones opinion. Cigaros gave his ( post #20) and I want the Chatham folk to know that is not from the SHG contingent. So no bulletin board material....

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: cigaros
The Glenwood faithful will inevitably get upset when they are asked to explain how they can be considered formidable when their opponents’ overall record is 3-13 (4-16 after they destroy MacArthur next week). And then explain how they will cope with the second half of their schedule which is currently 13-3 (17-3 after they complete their week 5 games). My prediction is Glenwood will go 2-2 during the second half of their season, and with the way U-High is playing, possibly 1-3 to finish out.

All.... The Cyclones continue dealing with the injury bug. One game at a time as they say. Always a big crowd when SHG and SHS mix it up. K.L. field will be rocking next Friday night. Ratsy P.S. A public service announcement footnote for any of the Titan faithful that frequent and read this site. Nothing wrong at all with stating ones opinion. Cigaros gave his ( post #20) and I want the Chatham folk to know that is not from the SHG contingent. So no bulletin board material....
I really hope the SHG guard recovers faster than expected. He’s a good kid.

i hear texas has a lot houses to select from......

Week 5 Matchups and a Few Observations
Lincoln (3-1) at Southeast (0-4)
U High (3-1) at Lanphier (0-4)
Eisenhower (1-3) at Rochester (4-0)
Springfield (1-3) at SHG (3-1)
Chatham (4-0) at MacArthur (1-3)
Peoria Notre Dame (3-1) at Jacksonville (2-2)

More mismatches likely in Week 5 than compelling games. The game of the week is Peoria Notre Dame (PND) against Jacksonville. This is a chance for the Crimsons to rebound from consecutive running clock losses against SHG and Rochester. However, PND goes in as the favorite and the status of Jacksonville's QB1 is uncertain.

A week ago, I thought the Mac game was a possible trap for the Titans who might be looking ahead to SHG. After three straight losses and some in-house issues, the Generals seem much less likely to pull off the upset (even at home) and may struggle to keep it close. Chatham has thrown the ball just enough to keep defenses honest so far this season. This is in contrast to their quick strike pass-first approach last year. Although the Titans defense has only given up 12 points after 4 weeks, I'll wait for the SHG game in Week 6 to decide how good it actually is.

Lincoln's last of 4 games against teams that went 1-8 last season. Southeast is slightly better than Lanphier, Eisenhower, and Manual and gets the Railers at home. They still may not be able make it a competitive contest.

I would like to remind the Glenwood faithful who read this site that they have their hands full after losing to MacArthur, a team that actually plays a little bit of defense. Not much. But a little. LOL

Major oops by me in predicting they would destroy MacArthur after seeing what Rochester did to the Generals. Glenwood is going to be gazing into U-High's taillights.

I would like to remind the Glenwood faithful who read this site that they have their hands full after losing to MacArthur, a team that actually plays a little bit of defense. Not much. But a little. LOL

Major oops by me in predicting they would destroy MacArthur after seeing what Rochester did to the Generals. Glenwood is going to be gazing into U-High's taillights.
Things are certainly clearing up in the CS8:

Chatham is not as good as we thought.

SHG is getting better...week 9 will be interesting.

4A south is about to get truck sticked by a defensive buzzsaw.

I initially thought Glenwood would be 3rd behind SHG with both at 7-2. I now think Glenwood finishes 6-3, at best (5% chance), with two running clock losses against Rochester in week 8 and SHG in week 6. Their 4th loss will be against U- High. The Pioneers have an underrated defense.

Reactions: FB1976

All.... Malleus a boon if you please.

All.... Malleus a boon if you please. On the SHG comment. Ratsy

Reactions: cigaros
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT