ADVERTISEMENT

CS8 Predictions-Week 5

rocketnation

Gold Member
Aug 12, 2017
Six Friday night games, with one CS8 vs Big 12 contest in Jacksonville vs Peoria Notre Dame. This game will break the current 3-3 tie between the conferences.

Lincoln (3-1) at Southeast (0-4)
The Railers have easily beaten three 1-8 teams from last year so far, Lanphier, Eisenhower, and Peoria Manual. This is their final game against a 1-8 team. The Spartans are probably slightly better than the other three, but I'm not expecting an upset here or even a very close result. Lincoln will run the ball almost exclusively with the Carson twins to the victory. Lincoln 34 Southeast 8

U High (3-1) at Lanphier (0-4)
Lanphier did score 24 points in their loss to Eisenhower last week, but they've given up at least 41 points in each game this season. Eisenhower scored 46 against them after having only 12 points through three weeks. U High got an impressive 28-14 win over Decatur MacArthur last week. The Pioneers are the most improved team in the conference. They have developed a balanced offense along with a defense capable of forcing turnovers. After finishing 3-6 last year, U High has a good chance at getting 6 wins with 7 a possibility. U High 54 Lanphier 6

Eisenhower (1-3) at Rochester (4-0)
Derek's homecoming wish is for a quick running clock and plenty of playing time for the reserves by halftime. After some sloppy moments in Week 3 against MacArthur, the Rocket offense produced one big play after another last week against Jacksonville and led 42-0 at half. Eisenhower got their first win of the season over Lanphier 46-24 last week. Last year, they lost to Lanphier and got their only win against Southeast. The Panthers are apparently playing a lot of underclassmen. They had low program numbers last year. A positive sign for Eisenhower would be increased participation. Rochester 51 Eisenhower 6

Springfield (1-3) at SHG (3-1)
Springfield had some success moving the ball against Chatham last week, but turnovers derailed several drives and the Senators lost 33-0. Turnovers have hurt the Senators all season, particularly interceptions. For them to have any chance to stay close, they will need to sustain long drives and hold on to the ball. SHG's defense got their first shutout of the season against Southeast and have given up fewer points each week. The Cyclones have developed a featured RB who has scored 7 or 8 TD's just in the last two games. SHG should go to 4-1, forcing the Senators to have to win out to get 5 wins. SHG 43 Springfield 12

Chatham (4-0) at MacArthur (1-3)
Prior to last week's games, I thought this could be a potential trap game for the Titans. Perhaps they could be looking ahead to SHG in Week 6 and vulnerable to Mac on the road. Week 4 changed my mind significantly. Chatham defeated Springfield 33-0, with their third straight shutout. The Titans have used an effective run-first approach, throwing just enough to keep defenses honest. Mac went on the road to U High as the favorite and then fell behind 28-0 before getting 2 late TD's to make the final 28-14. Mac has had some good moments in all three of their losses. However, their defense has struggled to hold down better teams. The offense has big play capability. To have any chance, the Generals need a fast start and big plays from RB Johnson-Cook. Chatham 34 MacArthur 14

Peoria Notre Dame (3-1) at Jacksonville (2-2)
The CS8 vs Big 12 game of the week and probably the most interesting contest of Week 5. Jacksonville has been running clocked two weeks in a row, losing 51-10 to SHG and 56-0 to Rochester. They have struggled mightily since losing their QB early in the SHG game to injury. He did not play against Rochester. The Crimsons were very run focused against Rochester, and the Rockets crowded the line of scrimmage consistently. Their defense gave up one big play after another with Rochester scoring in short 1-3 play drives. Jacksonville still has a path to 5 wins if they lose, but they at a minimum need to play much better than the last two weeks. Peoria Notre Dame has won big over three pretty weak teams and lost a close game to 3-1 Bloomington 34-26 in Week 3. The Irish are favored. Peoria Notre Dame 35 Jacksonville 23

Last edited:
i'll go against you and pick jax over pnd. qb mani will be back.
Glad he will be back and that should help their chances. I wish the Crimsons would pass a little more than they do. The defense has also had three rough weeks in a row. If they do win this week, Jacksonville has a much better path to the playoffs.

Looking at U High's remaining schedule I see wins over Lanphier & Urbana. I'd put U High as a solid favorite over Lincoln and Jacksonville. That gets them to 7 wins. Outside chance of 8 wins with an upset over Chatham. Chatham to me is still the biggest unknown in the conference due to their weak schedule thus far. Will find out a lot more about Chatham in week 6. Main reason I currently have U High as a slight underdog to Chatham is because Chatham is the home team.

Revised Early Conference Final Predictions
Rochester 9-0
SHG 7-2
Chatham 7-2
U-High 7-2
Jacksonville 5-4
Lincoln 4-5
Springfield 3-6
MacArthur 3-6
Southeast 2-7
Eisenhower 1-8
Lanphier 0-9

Reactions: rocketnation
Looking at U High's remaining schedule I see wins over Lanphier & Urbana. I'd put U High as a solid favorite over Lincoln and Jacksonville. That gets them to 7 wins. Outside chance of 8 wins with an upset over Chatham. Chatham to me is still the biggest unknown in the conference due to their weak schedule thus far. Will find out a lot more about Chatham in week 6. Main reason I currently have U High as a slight underdog to Chatham is because Chatham is the home team.
Piggy-backing a little. I was just thinking "how can Lincoln nab a 5th win..."

If they can beat SE and somehow beat Jax it won't matter how badly you get beat up by Rochester, U-High, and Chatham.

It'd be kind of a decent storyline to see the Railers return to their old conference and find a way to make the playoffs. I'd have to applaud that one for sure! Considering, if I remember correctly, one of the main reasons they left was their inability to be competitive in sports outside of basketball?

The Channel 1450 picks are in, and they have chosen Lincoln (3-0), U High (3-0), Rochester (3-0), SHG (3-0), Chatham (3-0), and Peoria Notre Dame (2-1).

Reactions: cigaros
SJR Staff Predictions
Lincoln 26 Southeast 13
U High 56 Lanphier 6
Rochester 56 Eisenhower 0
SHG 42 Springfield 6
Chatham 42 MacArthur 20
Peoria Notre Dame 28 Jacksonville 21

All.... Cyclones "prevail" over SHS 34-7. Chatham gets beat by Mac (no surprise) 14-12. Haven't a clue who will win next week when the Cycs travel to the Redskins (yes) Depends upon who plays worse after several games to get better. Ratsy

Reactions: net-se and cigaros
Final Scores
MacArthur 14 Chatham 12. After a disappointing 1-3 start, MacArthur upsets Chatham at the old Stephen Decatur field (which includes a dysfunctional scoreboard). The Generals led most of the game before Chatham scored in the 4th to get within 14-12. They went for 2 and failed to convert. Mac was then able to run out the clock behind two big third and long conversions, one by RB Johnson-Cook and the other by QB France. This result makes SHG the favorite next week against the Titans, where I thought it was a 50-50 game prior to tonight. Still one never knows, perhaps Chatham rallies at home. Mac now back in the playoff hunt after looking to be in major trouble. Chatham's lack of size on defense hurt them tonight but also credit the Generals for holding them to only 12 points.

SHG 34 Springfield 7. SHG scored late in the first half to open up a 21-0 lead. Springfield scored in the final minute of the game to avoid the shutout. Springfield is the only common opponent for SHG and Chatham. Chatham beat them 33-0 last week. I believe SHG's RB Pollard had at least 2 TD's and is having a very good season. Springfield will have to win out to make the playoffs.

Rochester 59 Eisenhower 0. Bryan Zulauf threw 3 first-half TD's, the defense had two pick 6's, and the Rockets led 49-0 at half. Lots of playing time for the seniors who don't start. Eisenhower had no more than 30 dressed.

U High 68 Lanphier 6. Another rough night for the Lions.

Lincoln 34 Southeast 26. Lincoln goes to 4-1 but credit Southeast for hanging close and giving the Railers a tougher than expected contest. Getting that all important 5th win is doable but won't be easy. In my view, Lincoln is the underdog in all of their remaining games.

Peoria Notre Dame 27 Jacksonville 22. Jacksonville led 22-21 in the 4th, but the Irish pushed across a final score to send the Crimsons to 2-3. A tough loss at home for Jacksonville after being running clocked by both SHG and Rochester the prior two weeks. This also puts the Big 12 ahead of the CS8 4-3. Jacksonville now has to beat both Lincoln and Springfield to get to 5 wins.

Last edited:
All.... Cyclones "prevail" over SHS 34-7. Chatham gets beat by Mac (no surprise) 14-12. Haven't a clue who will win next week when the Cycs travel to the Redskins (yes) Depends upon who plays worse after several games to get better. Ratsy
Not sure why you're doubtful...SHG by 4 TDs

If U-High keeps this up, they will be 3rd in the conference with an 8-1 record, however conference record will supercede overall record. Their loss to SHG will be the tiebreaker, thus giving SHG 2nd place. Now, U-High does not play Rochester. But at 8-1, could be positioned to meet Rochester in a quarterfinal or semifinal depending on how the Northern bracket shakes out. Currently, Morris, Coal City, and Geneseo sit in the Southern bracket though they hover near I-80. This will be an interesting matchup with these two defenses keeping opposing offenses in check. Brody Walworth is doing another amazing job as he did with Plains when he took them to State in 2017.

Final Scores
MacArthur 14 Chatham 12. After disappointing 1-3 start, MacArthur upsets Chatham at the old Stephen Decatur field (which includes a dysfunctional scoreboard). The Generals led most of the game before Chatham scored in the 4th to get within 14-12. I'm assuming they went for 2 and failed to convert. Mac was then able to run out the clock behind two big third and long conversions, one by RB Johnson-Cook and the other by QB France. This result makes SHG the favorite next week against the Titans, where I thought it was a 50-50 game prior to tonight. Still one never knows, perhaps Chatham rallies at home. Mac now back in the playoff hunt after looking to be in major trouble. Chatham's lack of size on defense hurt them tonight but also credit the Generals for holding them to only 12 points.

SHG 34 Springfield 7. SHG scored late in the first half to open up a 21-0 lead. Springfield scored in the final minute of the game to avoid the shutout. Springfield is the only common opponent for SHG and Chatham. Chatham beat them 33-0 last week. I believe SHG's RB Pollard had at least 2 TD's and is having a very good season. Springfield will have to win out to make the playoffs.

Rochester 59 Eisenhower 0. Bryan Zulauf threw 3 first-half TD's, the defense had two pick 6's, and the Rockets led 49-0 at half. Lots of playing time for the seniors who don't start. Eisenhower had no more than 30 dressed.

U High 68 Lanphier 6. Another rough night for the Lions.

Lincoln 34 Southeast 26. Lincoln goes to 4-1 but credit Southeast for hanging close and giving the Railers a tougher than expected contest. Getting that all important 5th win is doable but won't be easy. In my view, Lincoln is the underdog in all of their remaining games.

Peoria Notre Dame 27 Jacksonville 22. Jacksonville led 22-21 in the 4th, but the Irish pushed across a final score to send the Crimsons to 2-3. A tough loss at home for Jacksonville after being running clocked by both SHG and Rochester the prior two weeks. This also puts the Big 12 ahead of the CS8 4-3. Jacksonville now has to beat both Lincoln and Springfield to get to 5 wins.
Being the 5th game of the season, I believe Cyclone fans were expecting a little more "crispness" in the overall play of the team than what was shown tonight.

Southeast kids played hard and inspired ball last week against SHG also.

Sounds like Jacksonville enters familiar territory once again this year - needing to win a CRUCIAL game at some point to get to five wins.

MacArthur's pulse is weak, but the ticker is still pumping. We'll see what Friday night's adrenaline push does for them moving forward.

The winner of the upcoming SHG-Chatham game gets to five wins at the other's expense. No more incentive for either team needed!

This appears to be the year of Rochester against their CS8 little brothers. Given the state of the overall play in the Conference this year (uninspiring), the only true measure of how good the Rockets truly are this year is their week one dismantling of Peoria High School.

Being the 5th game of the season, I believe Cyclone fans were expecting a little more "crispness" in the overall play of the team than what was shown tonight.

Southeast kids played hard and inspired ball last week against SHG also.

Sounds like Jacksonville enters familiar territory once again this year - needing to win a CRUCIAL game at some point to get to five wins.

MacArthur's pulse is weak, but the ticker is still pumping. We'll see what Friday night's adrenaline push does for them moving forward.

The winner of the upcoming SHG-Chatham game gets to five wins at the other's expense. No more incentive for either team needed!

This appears to be the year of Rochester against their CS8 little brothers. Given the state of the overall play in the Conference this year (uninspiring), the only true measure of how good the Rockets truly are this year is their week one dismantling of Peoria High School.
Along the way, U-High may actually get to play Rochester.... in the 4A quarterfinals or semifinals.

In many years, rochestet has not played a conference foe in the playoffs. But this year if Lincoln can find one more win against its back loaded schedule; rochester could have a chance to play both Lincoln and Uhigh.

Reactions: rocketnation
In many years, rochestet has not played a conference foe in the playoffs. But this year if Lincoln can find one more win against its back loaded schedule; rochester could have a chance to play both Lincoln and Uhigh.
Huh?!? The conference foe from West Washington St. has knocked the Rockets out of the playoffs the last two years.

Should they get 5 wins, Jacksonville is borderline 4A-5A. They do have a more difficult path to the playoffs after last night. The Crimsons need to sweep Lincoln, Southeast, and Springfield the next three weeks. They are the underdog at U High Week 9.

Lincoln's best chance for its fifth win is at home next week against the Crimsons. Should be a good home field crowd with high hopes. The Railers then close against Rochester, U High, and Chatham.

Last edited:
Huh?!? The conference foe from West Washington St. has knocked the Rockets out of the playoffs the last two years.
Did I say all years? Other than Taylorville in 2013 and SHG in the last 2 years in 4A, no other conference teams since RHS joining the conference in.2010 has qualified in 4A.

My point was this year there is an outside chance for 3 CS8 teams could qualify in 4A.

Reactions: FB1976 and cigaros
Did I say all years? Other than Taylorville in 2013 and SHG in the last 2 years in 4A, no other conference teams since RHS joining the conference in.2010 has qualified in 4A.

My point was this year there is an outside chance for 3 CS8 teams could qualify in 4A.
I believe Lincoln will be bumped to 5A based upon past history absent the year the Chicago teachers decided to act like children. However, it would be super cool to see so many of our teams make the playoffs at different levels.

My apologies...I misread the meaning of your comment. Thought you meant it had been several years.

Week 6 Matchups and a Few Observations
SHG (4-1) at Chatham (4-1)
Jacksonville (2-3) at Lincoln (4-1)
MacArthur (2-3) at Eisenhower (1-4) 5 pm Friday
Urbana (0-5) at U High (4-1)
Southeast (0-5) at Springfield (1-4)
Rochester (5-0) at Lanphier (0-5) Saturday

The game of the week is SHG and Chatham, an important contest with playoff implications. However, it's lacking a bit of the projected hype after Chatham lost last night. Can the Titans rebound from the disappointing loss to MacArthur, and do they have the confidence to compete with a Cyclone team that has outscored them 168-27 over the last three meetings? While not dominating teams in quite the same fashion as last year, SHG has won each of their four conference games by at least 18 points. Because Rochester doesn't play until Saturday, expect a fair number of Rocket fans to attend this one.

Jacksonville and Lincoln is also a crucial game. A near must win for the Crimsons and probably the Railers best remaining chance to get their 5th win after a very favorable early schedule. After this week, Lincoln enters the Death Valley part of their schedule.

MacArthur is back in the playoff picture after upsetting Chatham. Their Week 9 game against Bloomington will likely decide whether they get in.

Springfield needs to win out to make the playoffs. Southeast has been showing some improvement the last few weeks, though they are still winless. This could be a pretty good matchup.

U High a lock to even the CS8 and Big 12 series at 4-4 against winless Urbana.

Last edited:
Reactions: FB1976
All.... The Rochester Rocket fan forum (facebook) site is getting a bit salty on another subject. A comparison on the Bears/Chiefs game and Lanphier H.S. who the Rockets play this week.

RIFF I assume who runs the page started it and is doing a bit of a follow up response tap dance. I see there is also an inbred comment. Sigh.... Also someone from the Springfield Education Association expressing displeasure.

Better dial it down a bit Riff. When a school wins often any kind of untoward comment like that can blow up. Ratsy

All.... The Rochester Rocket fan forum (facebook) site is getting a bit salty on another subject. A comparison on the Bears/Chiefs game and Lanphier H.S. who the Rockets play this week.

RIFF I assume who runs the page started it and is doing a bit of a follow up response tap dance. I see there is also an inbred comment. Sigh.... Also someone from the Springfield Education Association expressing displeasure.

Better dial it down a bit Riff. When a school wins often any kind of untoward comment like that can blow up. Ratsy
For full disclosure, the inbred comment was made to the Rochester poster not by a Rochester poster.

Reactions: cigaros and FB1976
For full disclosure, the inbred comment was made to the Rochester poster not by a Rochester poster.
All.... Yes I'm well aware of that. Those that go to the facebook page can read all of the comments. Ratsy

I just went to the post to which you referred. The Rochester fan page is unfortunately incorrect. The Bears/Chiefs game ended 41-10. The average score between Rochester and Lanphier since Rochester joined the CS8 is 48-10. To make things worse, it has been 1,810 days since the Lions scored on Rochester (10/12/18).

For perspective. In Illinois, that is equivalent to the prison time given for a Class 3 Felony. One of the listed Class 3 felonies is Aggravated Assault at a Sports Venue- which is exactly what Rochester has done to Lanphier. Since it's been just short of 5 years since Lanphier scored, maybe Coach Beucker feels generous this year with his alma mater.

All.... Yes I'm well aware of that. Those that go to the facebook page can read all of the comments. Ratsy
Yes, u are correct that those that go to the Facebook page will see it was not a Rochester fan that made the comment. The purpose of my original comment was to make it clear for the many that would not have gone any further than this thread.

Reactions: cigaros and FB1976
Seems the Rochester Fanpage is firing back. And it's kind of hilarious, albeit quite stinging to the commenters who took offense.

All.... Firing back? More like weak damage control. Ratsy
I don’t think the fan page worries about damage control. Reading the comments, the Rochester fan page is correct. Especially when they said, there are more words in their response than there will be fans supporting Lanphier. I think he said he’d “take the under” on the number of fans showing up in the Lions side of the field. If my count is correct, that’s 178 words. Will there be 179 fans on the Lions side of the field? History says no. Lol!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT