ADVERTISEMENT

CCL Freshman Scores?

For some reason Providence Freshman canceled on MC…..not sure of the exact reasons so I won’t say the rumors here, but MC was going to travel to PC so it wasn’t because of that reason! @Jenny27 any concrete info from the underclassmen front? I heard they canceled on Wednesday, MC Freshman was able to get game with IC Sophomore team last minute
Pc only has like 20 sophomores playing football. 3 out of that 20 start on varsity with another 2 or 3 getting playing time because of injuries. Leaving like 13 players in the sophomore level. So basically pcs freshman played mc sophomores yesterday.

Reactions: McCaravan
Pc only has like 20 sophomores playing football. 3 out of that 20 start on varsity with another 2 or 3 getting playing time because of injuries. Leaving like 13 players in the sophomore level. So basically pcs freshman played mc sophomores yesterday.
Sucks for MC freshman. They got screwed on their week 1 game too on a double booking by the other team. Glad they were able to find another game.

For some reason Providence Freshman canceled on MC…..not sure of the exact reasons so I won’t say the rumors here, but MC was going to travel to PC so it wasn’t because of that reason! @Jenny27 any concrete info from the underclassmen front? I heard they canceled on Wednesday, MC Freshman was able to get game with IC Sophomore team last minute
That’s true. Providence has a few injured so to my knowledge they moved some sophs up to varsity and a couple freshman up to sophs so they were down players. The freshman were dressed at the sophomore game.
Proving once again why our field reporter Jenny is the best in the business on southland underclassmen football info😂

Proving once again why our field reporter Jenny is the best in the business on southland underclassmen football in
i am finding that is true throughout the lower levels of the CCL. Hardly enough kids at the lower levels to field Freshman, Sophomore, or even F/S teams let alone when Varsity needs to pull kids up due to injuries.

Mustangs -13.5 will be posted at Barney Callaghan’s when the doors open for noon brunch.
Operation Sandbag initiated 😂.

Hoodie Bowl set 5pm Thursday evening at the house 3ow built 99th and Pulaski.

A couple of programs that turned the tables on the Blue for the year. May the best team win. And I hope the 2023 9-0 hoodie is the brightest red or brightest orange they can get for the winner

Common sense would have been for Provi to cancel the soph games and move those players up to varsity while keeping the frosh team inta

100%. Moving Freshman up to Sophomore level doesn’t help them develop any faster. Let them play with their classmates.
Disagree they are 5-3 as basically a freshman team playing a sophmore schedule. It's not ideal but I do think it makes you better going against better competition. Also I assuming they just practic we as one team anyways.

Will BRTV cover the doubleheader? First game will be worth seeing. Both programs pulled up a ton a sophs or those games would really be worth watching.

Reactions: RockSoup
Disagree they are 5-3 as basically a freshman team playing a sophmore schedule. It's not ideal but I do think it makes you better going against better competition. Also I assuming they just practic we as one team anyways.

To be fair, most schools with a frosh/soph team have already moved up their best sophomore to varsity. Don't think it's as big a gap as people think.

Reactions: corey90
Yep big Frosh game with Rice and Rita both 8-0. MC Sophs also playing for outright championship if they beat Loyola (if they lose and Rice Sophs win then I believe a co-champ situation on that level).

Yes, and they were 8-1 last year too. Their future is looking good.
Who did they lose to? Just playing. Great 4 team Blue competition on the horizon.

And I see no reason for the Blue to change for the foreseeable future. With the realignment every year and the current 4 not minding being in the blue and the next logical team not running the table in the green, and the league having enough to worry about with the other divisions, I hope the league just plugs in and plays the current 4 in the blue until there’s an obvious relegation needed.

Who did they lose to? Just playing. Great 4 team Blue competition on the horizon.

And I see no reason for the Blue to change for the foreseeable future. With the realignment every year and the current 4 not minding being in the blue and the next logical team not running the table in the green, and the league having enough to worry about with the other divisions, I hope the league just plugs in and plays the current 4 in the blue until there’s an obvious relegation needed.
So I'm guessing St. Rita won that game last year? But as my broker said: "Past performance is no guarantee of future results."

That being said I don't see anyone volunteering to join the blue.

• Haha
2023 Hoodie Bowl preview:

St . Rita Frosh (8-0) at Br. Rice (8-0)
10001 S Pulaski Rd
Thursday 5:00pm

St. Rita
@ Sandburg 44-0
@ DePaul 26-0
@ Joliet Catholic 40-0
@ Mount Carmel 31-14
v South Elgin 42-0
v Loyola 21-0
@ Marist 6-0

v St. Laurence 34-0

244-14
30.5 - 1.75

Br. Rice
@ Maine South 28-0
@ Marist 28-6
@ St. Ignatius 44-7
@ Loyola 36-14
v St. Viator 34-14
v Mount Carmel 28-14
@Nazareth 18-15
v Montini 42-0

256-70
32 - 8.75

Common opponents bolded

Good Luck young men. Play hard. Play clean. Shake it up after the game. Go get a Wojos shake after the game

Last edited:

10001 S Pulaski Rd

St. Rita
@ Sandburg 44-0
@ DePaul 26-0
@ Joliet Catholic 40-0
@ Mount Carmel 31-14
v South Elgin 42-0
v Loyola 21-0
@ Marist 6-0

v St. Laurence 34-0

244-14
30.5 - 1.75

Br. Rice
@ Maine South 28-0
@ Marist 28-0
@ St. Ignatius 44-7
@ Loyola 36-14
v St. Viator 34-14
v Mount Carmel 28-14
@Nazareth 18-15
v Montini 42-0

256-70
32 - 8.75

Common opponents bolded

Good Luck young men. Play hard. Play clean. Shake it up after the game. Go get a Wojos shake after the game
MC only school to score on the Rita frosh. That’s impressive!

Will MC lose to both R&R as the frosh matriculate? I don't know. These things are cyclical and statistical. I think I read a post that said all the top eighth graders decided to stay local. Apparently Marist didn't share in that bounty. MC will be fine, at least until Elliott leaves. I don't know what they have in the hopper, but MC can always be counted on to attract some talented transfers.

Will MC lose to both R&R as the frosh matriculate? I don't know. These things are cyclical and statistical. I think I read a post that said all the top eighth graders decided to stay local. Apparently Marist didn't share in that bounty. MC will be fine, at least until Elliott leaves. I don't know what they have in the hopper, but MC can always be counted on to attract some talented transfers.
I love Freshman Football, its a good preview of the talent you can expect to see over the next four years but you can't base the next three seasons off the freshman year. So many things are going to come into shape the next few years. Freshman year is about development and learning the teams offense/defense and playing at a faster level. That's why there is no playoffs and barely an OT if the games ends in a tie, because in hindsight it doesn't matter (outside of the hoodies).

Finishing 6-3 and above is a really successful season that any Varsity Coach will be happy to build on....even 5-4 depending on the schedule. Of course they don't want to lose to Rice or Rita but it happens, you don't win State as Freshman. Every MC Freshman team goal is to go 9-0, but it doesn't happen often. 2017 and 2021 are the last two MC Fresh Squads that went undefeated since 2011, every other year dropped a game or 2 or 3. Even this years senior class went 4-2 in the Spring Covid year, and that was with Dupree and Startz.

These players are still developing physically and mentally, I don't know about other teams but Freshman don't touch the weight room until after the season in winter workouts. When you get to varsity you take the best of the senior class and mix them with the best of the junior class, occasionally adding in the stud Sophomore and go from there.

And yes, you will have to to factor in transfers, both players coming in and leaving the school. Some just don't like the Catholic School environment after the season ends, some don't like the commute, some don't make the grades.

All I can say is there is going to be some great football the next few years in the CCL Blue as these players move up.

Last edited:
I love Freshman Football, its a good preview of the talent you can expect to see over the next four years but you can't base the next three seasons off the freshman year. So many things are going to come into shape the next few years. Freshman year is about development and learning the teams offense/defense and playing at a faster level. That's why there is no playoffs and barely an OT if the games ends in a tie, because in hindsight it doesn't matter (outside of the hoodies).

Finishing 6-3 and above is a really successful season that any Varsity Coach will be happy to build on....even 5-4 depending on the schedule. Of course they don't want to lose to Rice or Rita but it happens, you don't win State as Freshman. Every MC Freshman team goal is to go 9-0, but it doesn't happen often. 2017 and 2021 are the last two MC Fresh Squads that went undefeated since 2011, every other year dropped a game or 2 or 3. Even this years senior class went 4-2 in the Spring Covid year, and that was with Dupree and Startz.

These players are still developing physically and mentally, I don't know about other teams but Freshman don't touch the weight room until after the season in winter workouts. When you get to varsity you take the best of the senior class and mix them with the best of the junior class, occasionally adding in the stud Sophomore and go from there.

And yes, you will have to to factor in transfers, both players coming in and leaving the school. Some just don't like the Catholic School environment after the season ends, some don't like the commute, some don't make the grades.

All I can say is there is going to be some great football the next few years in the CCL Blue as these players move up.
Back in the dark ages when I was a freshman, my JC frosh team went 2-7. By senior year, we won a state championship(it was a 5A championship, back when there were only 6 classes, so it counts ;) )

Last edited:

10001 S Pulaski Rd

St. Rita
@ Sandburg 44-0
@ DePaul 26-0
@ Joliet Catholic 40-0
@ Mount Carmel 31-14
v South Elgin 42-0
v Loyola 21-0
@ Marist 6-0

v St. Laurence 34-0

244-14
30.5 - 1.75

Br. Rice
@ Maine South 28-0
@ Marist 28-6
@ St. Ignatius 44-7
@ Loyola 36-14
v St. Viator 34-14
v Mount Carmel 28-14
@Nazareth 18-15
v Montini 42-0

256-70
32 - 8.75

Common opponents bolded

Was the Naz game against a frosh/soph team?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT