ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone know the new divisions for CCL/ESCC for 2024? They are changing after one year.

2 time defending state champs Nazareth belongs in the Blue and BR belongs in the green with SR. If Naz stays in the green they are going to come close too clocking everyone else in the green.
I don't think Naz and SF should be spilt. Both coed, similar enrollment size, similarly competitive, relatively close geographically.

Reactions: Snetsrak61
2 time defending state champs Nazareth belongs in the Blue and BR belongs in the green with SR. If Naz stays in the green they are going to come close too clocking everyone else in the green.
Naz was 1-2 in 3 matchup against Green opponents this year and I think St. Rita would have been a 50/50 game too. They won't likely be clocking much of their competition next year. They're admittedly in a weird spot, but this isn't a powerhouse group who rocks opponents with regularity, like they had in some of their past runs.

Naz was 1-2 in 3 matchup against Green opponents this year and I think St. Rita would have been a 50/50 game too. They won't likely be clocking much of their competition next year. They're admittedly in a weird spot, but this isn't a powerhouse group who rocks opponents with regularity, like they had in some of their past runs.
After SR QB went down in the middle of the season they were just a little better than average.

Reactions: Gene K.
Can U define "clocking?" and put a point spread on that?

In the end, you may be right, but if Rita can find a solid QB, whether it's the Sophomore or someone else, no team from the Green will be clocking her.

After SR QB went down in the middle of the season they were just a little better than average.
Very reasonable point. I wasn't there, but to me, the staff should've made sure, they had a back up ready to go.

I give SR credit for losing by 3 points in the last second on the road to a very good team in St. Francis without several key starters and her starting QB.

Losses to Loyola, Fenwick, Rice, and Naz this year cause me to think that Ignatius is not quite ready for prime time. They're solid, as evidenced by their recent quarterfinal appearance in 8A, but if we are talking about the Blue representing the best of the CCL, I think that Rice (a 28-6 winner over Ignatius this year) needs to be in the Blue before Ignatius. In Loyola's 14 games this year, nobody put up more points against Loyola than Rice did (yes, I know that Rice scored 14 in the 4th after LA rested their starters).

Also, I would switch NDCP and St. Laurence so that the Orange has more of a south and southwest feel and the White more of a north and west feel.

Losses to Loyola, Fenwick, Rice, and Naz this year cause me to think that Ignatius is not quite ready for prime time. They're solid, as evidenced by their recent quarterfinal appearance in 8A, but if we are talking about the Blue representing the best of the CCL, I think that Rice (a 28-6 winner over Ignatius this year) needs to be in the Blue before Ignatius. In Loyola's 14 games this year, nobody put up more points against Loyola than Rice did (yes, I know that Rice scored 14 in the 4th after LA rested their starters).

Also, I would switch NDCP and St. Laurence so that the Orange has more of a south and southwest feel and the White more of a north and west feel.
There's just never gonna be a "good" option for that final blue spot. Teams are just gonna eventually take their turns at it. At least we can say Iggys is on the larger enrollment side for it. Good luck and godspeed kids!

Reactions: eireog
Good luck to Larry probably moving up to 5A and new schedule with Rita/Rice/CoM/Montini/Fenwick/Pats/Leo
Better schedule that CPS week 1 and 2 maybe they will get some of those kids that transferred out to come back. Back to 3-6

Reactions: eireog
There's just never gonna be a "good" option for that final blue spot. Teams are just gonna eventually take their turns at it. At least we can say Iggys is on the larger enrollment side for it. Good luck and godspeed kids!
Truth be told, it used to be "The Blue." Now it's MC and LA. Rice and Rita aren't even operating on the same stratosphere anymore.

Honestly, Naz would be the most logical choice to create a permanent triangle and then other schools can rotate to take the fourth spot. Perhaps some combination of Marist, Ignatius, JC, PC, Rice, Rita, and maybe SF.

But there is no more "traditional Blue." Back in the mid-2000s to 2010s, you could guarantee some slobberknockers with Rice and Rita when they ran into MC and LA. Now, unless something changes, those two schools should be the prohibitive favorite over absolutely everyone they play. Their enrollment numbers and athletic draw over 30 miles dwarfs what any other institution has.

A good goal for Rice and Rita now is honestly to stay within a few touchdowns of those big two. Even staying within 3 scores is a sad moral victory. And Rice is busy trying to not get running clocked by Batavia.

I would keep MC, LA, and Naz connected at the hip for now. I know Naz isn't really super close to those two, but they are the most steadily strong program that would have a chance to stay within a few scores consistently.

Naz is currently the flag bearer for the mid size private schools. A spot formerly trumpeted by JC, PC, Driscoll, Montini, SHG, etc. That level of mid-size private dominance has always been there and people will always complain about it. But the IMG like appeal of LA and MC is what will likely be the thing that upends the entire IHSA system.

Truth be told, it used to be "The Blue." Now it's MC and LA. Rice and Rita aren't even operating on the same stratosphere anymore.

Honestly, Naz would be the most logical choice to create a permanent triangle and then other schools can rotate to take the fourth spot. Perhaps some combination of Marist, Ignatius, JC, PC, Rice, Rita, and maybe SF.

But there is no more "traditional Blue." Back in the mid-2000s to 2010s, you could guarantee some slobberknockers with Rice and Rita when they ran into MC and LA. Now, unless something changes, those two schools should be the prohibitive favorite over absolutely everyone they play. Their enrollment numbers and athletic draw over 30 miles dwarfs what any other institution has.

A good goal for Rice and Rita now is honestly to stay within a few touchdowns of those big two. Even staying within 3 scores is a sad moral victory. And Rice is busy trying to not get running clocked by Batavia.

I would keep MC, LA, and Naz connected at the hip for now. I know Naz isn't really super close to those two, but they are the most steadily strong program that would have a chance to stay within a few scores consistently.
Maybe. If I look at the common opponent of York this year, I don't think Naz keeps it close to Loyola, and then you can say the same for MC. If Naz was gonna play up with them, I'd at least want to know ahead and try and schedule a cupcake for one of the two non-cons lol. No need to schedule a Kankakee AND York if you're gonna go up against Loyola + MC annually. But at least if it was known going in and stable they could accommodate that schedule.

I know they've done really well in 5A and would be very competitive in 6A too, but that climb to elite 7A and 8A comes quick. It's a lot for a school of <750, even a very good one. Their regular season records do show that they arent particularly close to that level in those classes. Again, other schools are at least closer on enrollment side.

Maybe. If I look at the common opponent of York this year, I don't think Naz keeps it close to Loyola, and then you can say the same for MC. If Naz was gonna play up with them, I'd at least want to know ahead and try and schedule a cupcake for one of the two non-cons lol. No need to schedule a Kankakee AND York if you're gonna go up against Loyola + MC annually. But at least if it was known going in and stable they could accommodate that schedule.

I know they've done really well in 5A and would be very competitive in 6A too, but that climb to elite 7A and 8A comes quick. It's a lot for a school of <750, even a very good one. Their regular season records do show that they arent particularly close to that level in those classes. Again, other schools are at least closer on enrollment side.
In 7A, Naz is at least a semifinalist if they don't run into MC before then.

In 8A, they are eliminated very early. There just really aren't any deep classes besides 8A.

That 8 team open class is looking better and better.

In 7A, Naz is at least a semifinalist if they don't run into MC before then.

In 8A, they are eliminated very early. There just really aren't any deep classes besides 8A.

That 8 team open class is looking better and better.
I don't know. I don't think they get past Batavia if they were in that path. Massey ratings would have them as 5th best if they were in 7A. But it's also less about what they could do in a single elimination 32 team tourney verse qualifying in the first place in a smaller, tougher conference. They've been one of the final playoff qualifiers for three years running without having a blue schedule. Just really cuts down a razor thin margin for what they've been past few years.

Obviously Brother Rice is in that tough spot too. But there is a like a roughly 70% male enrollment advantage for BR compared to Naz (and about 100% for Iggys). That's not nothing.

That said, they certainly could be in the discussion. Just not sure they are automatically tied at the hip level. Loyola and MC are seemingly at a level where again, there's no right answer.

Was just communicating with a Blue "expert" about whether or not any school could challenge the LA/MC dominance in the CCL/ESCC. Rice seems to be the most likely candidate. They were undefeated on the Frosh level (I know many don't put a lot of stock in that, but it is the most objective measure for future success). They also only had one loss on the soph level. You might not see it next year, but the 25 and 26 seasons bode well for the Crusaders.

It's interesting that LA was 0-3 in the Blue on the Frosh level. When was the last time that happened? The varsity did not seem to skip a beat with Desherow at the helm. I read on here that LA's soph winning streak ended this past season, which was somewhere in the 40s. Can Desherow "recruit" at the same level as Holecek? He sure seems to coach at that level. Can MC also maintain the same level of talent that they've had the last few years? Lynch has been outstanding in that area. We shall see going forward.

Granted there was a driving rainstorm but we got to see firsthand how close Naz would be to MC and by extension Loyola. And that was with arguably the best roster naz has ever or will ever have. I don't think naz is the team to complete the Blue triangle you speak of

Granted there was a driving rainstorm but we got to see firsthand how close Naz would be to MC and by extension Loyola. And that was with arguably the best roster naz has ever or will ever have. I don't think naz is the team to complete the Blue triangle you speak of
Not as a mainstay at least lol. Between the two spots, BR, SR should take the most frequency (all that old school heritage there :) ). Naz, Iggys, Marist, Fenwick and a few others can rotate the final spot.

Reactions: Silver Rain
What is the deal at Marist? How are they looking the next 2-3 years. They were always the obvious choice, IMO.
If they can get rid of the current staff and find a way to bring back Dunne I'd say you're on to something. Since his departure I feel Marist has taken steps backwards instead of forward. How long did it take them to find the gem of a running back on their bench this year? That alone would have me screaming for his head if I was a fan

• Haha
Reactions: chakazulu89

Naz is currently the flag bearer for the mid size private schools. A spot formerly trumpeted by JC, PC, Driscoll, Montini, SHG, etc. That level of mid-size private dominance has always been there and people will always complain about it. But the IMG like appeal of LA and MC is what will likely be the thing that upends the entire IHSA system.

Yes, LA and MC are the undisputed kings of the CCL/ESCC hill the past two years. Are the past two seasons outliers or are they the new normal? Don't forget that it was just three seasons ago that MC lost twice to Rice (one of those losses being in the quarters) and got skunked by Ignatius.

I think that we need to take the long view and guard against over reacting whether it's within the CCL/ESCC or the IHSA.

In 2019 LA lost to Marist twice, including the quarters. In 2021 LA was easily handled by Lockport in the semis (I know not CCL -- but an indicator of the team LA had that year). So let's just see what happens for these next few years.

I'd have liked to see Rice & Marist in Blue. But Iggy seems to have big ambition so maybe this is a great move for them?

Very reasonable point. I wasn't there, but to me, the staff should've made sure, they had a back up ready to go.

I give SR credit for losing by 3 points in the last second on the road to a very good team in St. Francis without several key starters and her starting QB.
Rita’s best game of the year for the defense in a losing effort. Held LA to their lowest point total of their 14 game season. Lost the QB DL Staffold.

Reactions: chakazulu89
I’m not sure how anyone can predict anybody can stay in games against MC and LA at this point. They’ve just elevated their programs so much more than the field the past few years.

Only chance Lynch doesn’t have top talent coming in year after year is if he takes a college job. I’m thinking Desherow will also keep up momentum, especially as Loyola showed they are the best team in HS football in this state in this season.

Some may not want to hear it, but I only see that competition gap widening between MC/LA and everyone else. These two schools are the defacto flagship football schools in the state. Yes, Maine South, Warren, LWE, Lena-Winslow, Byron, Rochester, and ESTLs are their own regional magnets imo, but if a kid is looking to play football at the absolute highest level in this state the choice is Mount Carmel or Loyola.

I’m not sure how anyone can predict anybody can stay in games against MC and LA at this point. They’ve just elevated their programs so much more than the field the past few years.

Only chance Lynch doesn’t have top talent coming in year after year is if he takes a college job. I’m thinking Desherow will also keep up momentum, especially as Loyola showed they are the best team in HS football in this state in this season.

Some may not want to hear it, but I only see that competition gap widening between MC/LA and everyone else. These two schools are the defacto flagship football schools in the state. Yes, Maine South, Warren, LWE, Lena-Winslow, Byron, Rochester, and ESTLs are their own regional magnets imo, but if a kid is looking to play football at the absolute highest level in this state the choice is Mount Carmel or Loyola.
Is it possible that MC and LA will need to play a national schedule to keep getting the top end recruits? They are already dominating the in-state schools and if they continue, will some still look at IMG and want to play that schedule, nationally? I think IMG and the likes are the only way MC/LA lose any top talent in northern IL and NW IN.

Is it possible that MC and LA will need to play a national schedule to keep getting the top end recruits? They are already dominating the in-state schools and if they continue, will some still look at IMG and want to play that schedule, nationally? I think IMG and the likes are the only way MC/LA lose any top talent in northern IL and NW IN.
Great point. I think up to 2 national games a year for both schools absolutely make sense if they want to keep the top athletes away from IMG, etc types and keep momentum building.

Even if they do lose a guy or two to IMG every couple years, I think the programs are good enough to stay on top.

Reactions: Silver Rain
Is it possible that MC and LA will need to play a national schedule to keep getting the top end recruits?

I'd love to see LA attempt a national schedule or some hybrid of national and local, but not for the reason you are floating which is that they would have to do it to keep the talent flow coming in. They don't need a national schedule for the talent to come in. It comes in because Loyola is Loyola, playing the schedule they currently play.

TBH, I just don't see LA getting a lot of top end recruits in the first place -- which flies directly in the face of those public school apologists who are convinced that Loyola successfully recruits top talent from far and wide. For years, Loyola's secret sauce has been a combination of excellent coaching mixed with a deep roster of above average players, with very few high end outliers. I will defer to any of the other LA posters on this, but I'm not aware of any current NFL players being former Ramblers. Very few Ramblers ever went on to play in the NFL -- certainly less than some of its CCL brethren like MC and SR.

A good number of Loyola's above average players go on to play D3 ball and LA usually has a handful of FCS-type of players every year. Many/most of LA's FCS players are at Ivy and Pioneer League programs that don't offer football rides. It's super rare to see more than a couple of FBS players in a year, and there are years when they have zero players going on to play in FBS.

They are already dominating the in-state schools and if they continue, will some still look at IMG and want to play that schedule, nationally? I think IMG and the likes are the only way MC/LA lose any top talent in northern IL and NW IN.

I'm not aware of any LA player who has ever looked to play at IMG, much less actually made the jump to play there. Has anyone enrolled as a freshman at IMG with Loyola as their backup choice? Perhaps, but I doubt it.

Last edited:
Here are the 2024/2025 ESCC/CCL divisions (unless the District proposal passes):

Blue-MC, Loyola, BR, Ignatius
Green-St. Francis, Nazareth, IC, St. Rita
Orange-Providence, JCA, Marist, Notre Dame
White-Carmel, Fenwick, Montini, St. Laurence
Purple-DePaul, Benet, St. Viator, St. Patrick
Red-De La Salle, Leo, Marian Catholic, Marian Central

Congrats to all those who played and watched this weekend. Hoping the district proposal will not pass but understand it is gaining momentum.
As readers on Edgy find out who are playing in crossover games could you please post hem here?

TL,

I know Week 1 is Sandburg in Chicago.

Obviously, ICCP, Naz & St. Francis.

We avoiding MC & LA, I believe.

All I have, though, I think Marist and Iggy will be opponents next year.
Eight (8) Playoff teams on this years schedule, with four (4) of them being finalists, and two (2) being state champs was tough enough for me w/o petitioning up and additional class.

TL,

Eight (8) Playoff teams on this years schedule, with four (4) of them being finalists, and two (2) being state champs was tough enough for me w/o petitioning up and additional class.
Love to see JCA week two if their are not crossovera!

Last edited:
TL,

week1 -Sandburg(more than likely)
week2 - Kenwood(Most likely)
week 3 -@ BR
week 4 -@ St Francis
week5 -NND
week 6 - Naz
week 7-@ Leo
week8 -St Pat's
week 9- IC Catholic

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT