ADVERTISEMENT

Zunkel At It Again

Seems you are assuming a whole lot based on how JCA operates..

In our case, we don't "recruit" our junior high kids to play football or any other sport at HHS... Just like at most downstate schools, the only time there is any "recruiting" going on by the public school is when the local Catholic school is making a push for the kid to attend their school, then it's likely a phone call to the kids parent will be made..

How did JCA get dragged into this?

Last edited:
Reactions: Hillini74
"It shall be a violation of this rule to induce or attempt to induce or encourage any prospective student to attend any participant school for the purpose of participating in athletics even when special renumeration or inducement is not given."

I'm guilty of using Herscher as an example just to get a rise out of you. But Yes, it absolutely makes sense! Public schools can be guilty of and SHOULD be recruiting to keep kids in their district or properly matriculate from the community public feeder schools. In all sports. That may prevent some families from moving to say, Bradley or... enrolling in Bishop Mac.

The same coach that posted this promo has been very visible at Youth football games in the community and is actively courting 7th grade football players as we speak.

You are arguing semantics/timing now. The bottom line is if that promo, which I think is awesome for the Panthers' program, had a Crusader, Road Runner, or Friar logo on it; or if it was produced by Zinnani, Lenti, or Dunne, you'd have a completely different take on it. You'd be calling for heads to roll and immediate action be taken. But because it's not the CCL or ESCC your take on it is soft.

I can't wait for summer basketball to start so I can sit next to the coaches from Morgan Park, Simeon, and Whitney Young watch 6th - 8th graders in Hinsdale, Darien, Richton Park, and Lansing.

My argument is embrace it or eliminate it. But don't act like the public schools aren't doing it, at all levels and statewide.

You do realize is smaller towns, everybody knows everybody. There isn't a need to recruit the kid to attend the school, there is a need to recruit the kid to actually play High School football. Looking at the town on the flyer, what other schools could those kids possibly attend? You can't mix apples and oranges. The Chicago and Suburb area is COMPLETELY different than anywhere else in the state. I will also add that in my several years of being on this board, I can count on one hand the number of posters that complained about a private school recruiting athletes. The complaint has always been account for the difference and don't force a team that is not on the same level playing field to play against those schools. The recruiting part is not an issue.

Now the Mac coaches are calling on behalf of Hersher?

Where did I say that??? What I have said is that the ONLY time we have to contact a kid or his family, is when we hear that Mac is contacting a kid that lives in our district..

Seems you are assuming a whole lot based on how JCA operates..

In our case, we don't "recruit" our junior high kids to play football or any other sport at HHS... Just like at most downstate schools, the only time there is any "recruiting" going on by the public school is when the local Catholic school is making a push for the kid to attend their school, then it's likely a phone call to the kids parent will be made..
Sooooo, it's okay to recruit, as long as someone else makes the first phonecall?

But contacting kids to solicit athletics is illegal!

What are we supposed to do?? Let the competition break the rules and the kids leave?? It's something every coach in the area is faced with because of what the local private school does..

What are we supposed to do?? Let the competition break the rules and the kids leave?? It's something every coach in the area is faced with because of what the local private school does..

If this is the case, you can't complain about anyone else breaking a rule. That logic isn't sound.

Reactions: USD24
If this is the case, you can't complain about anyone else breaking a rule. That logic isn't sound.

Sure it is, our hand is forced to maintain an even playing field when the IHSA has shown they aren't going to enforce their own rules..

Sure it is, our hand is forced to maintain an even playing field when the IHSA has shown they aren't going to enforce their own rules..

Whether your hand is forced or not, in the end sports are not designed for a specific team to win are get the best player. If Mac is playing dirty then so be it and you just miss out on the better athletes. Such is life for a lot of schools. Once you take matters into your own hand, you are just as guilty as the person that initiated the fight. I a guy take a shot a you and you shoot him in the back, you are going to jail for murder. Who shot first doesn't matter. Again, not sound logic.

Whether your hand is forced or not, in the end sports are not designed for a specific team to win are get the best player. If Mac is playing dirty then so be it and you just miss out on the better athletes. Such is life for a lot of schools. Once you take matters into your own hand, you are just as guilty as the person that initiated the fight. I a guy take a shot a you and you shoot him in the back, you are going to jail for murder. Who shot first doesn't matter. Again, not sound logic.

And shoot him in front it's self defense and not going to jail for murder

The Sandburg coach cited recuriting as a reason for his resignation.

Wierzal said one of the keys for the next coach to achieve greater success will be an ability to consistently attract impact players from local feeder programs to Sandburg. Many top players in Orland Park in recent years have chosen more successful private schools.

"We've lost a few of those battles and it takes a toll on the program," he said. "Some years it was more severe than others. But it was frustrating. You have to keep the Orland Park kids in the community."

And shoot him in front it's self defense and not going to jail for murder

Only if it could not have been avoided. Just because some else called the kid or family is not sound reason. The first question I would have is how do Hersher staff know that another school called that kid house?

Reactions: HHSTigerFan
The Sandburg coach cited recuriting as a reason for his resignation.

Wierzal said one of the keys for the next coach to achieve greater success will be an ability to consistently attract impact players from local feeder programs to Sandburg. Many top players in Orland Park in recent years have chosen more successful private schools.

"We've lost a few of those battles and it takes a toll on the program," he said. "Some years it was more severe than others. But it was frustrating. You have to keep the Orland Park kids in the community."

To often this is considered recruiting when in reality it is a choice.

Many top players in Orland Park in recent years have chosen more successful private schools.

QBC and others. Try reading the IHSA bylaws, specifically section 3.070, and more specifically section 3.071 which says:

"Recruitment of students or attempted recruitment of students for athletic purposes is prohibited, regardless of their residence."

Also section 3.073 which says:

"It shall be a violation of this rule to induce or attempt to induce or encourage any prospective student to attend any participant school for the purpose of participating in athletics even when special renumeration or inducement is not given."

Not sure it can be made more clear than this.

http://www.ihsa.org/abouttheihsa/constitutionbylawspolicies.aspx
I am academically recruiting a student. Did you even read what was written. I will sell my kids on the academics of my school because that is what should be done. Read the Merits of the school, not athletics!!!

I am academically recruiting a student.

I'm sure that the school you refer to only recruits academics and not athletics.... That's why you're posting on a football board and not an academic board...

Bottom line is that private schools are recruiting and public schools feel like they have to as well to keep the kids in their district. It has become such a joke that most of the the people on this thread and this board openly acknowledge its going on and some don't realize that the rules are on the books.

In my opinion, the IHSA either has to sack up and enforce the rules with force (suspensions, disqualifications, banning) or take the rule off the books and stop pretending it doesn't happen.

Reactions: Dr. Mirakle
Only if it could not have been avoided. Just because some else called the kid or family is not sound reason. The first question I would have is how do Hersher staff know that another school called that kid house?

In the small towns where all the dads know each other, you just do..

If everybody know each other, is it really recruiting or is it just having a conversation with your buddy about his kid?

For the most part, usually more of a "Hey, we have heard that Mac is wanting your kid for football and hopefully you ignore them"

In my opinion, the IHSA either has to sack up and enforce the rules with force (suspensions, disqualifications, banning) or take the rule off the books and stop pretending it doesn't happen.
I agree with this. And the IHSA does not have the budget or means to enforce the rules. I say take the rule off the books. We've learned in this thread that even pristine communities such as Hersher do not follow the letter of the law and illegally recruit kids.

Beginning this fall, private schools may now begin also sell their greater flexibility regarding school discipline. The IL School Code was amended, effective in August, regarding suspensions and expulsions in public schools. Non-publics can continue to cut offending students loose, while the publics will consume time and resources to create "alternative learning structures" or merely return them sooner to regular classrooms with the rule-abiding student body.
Additionally, the private schools can also now sell the fact that using using a Boys or Girls restroom or locker room will not result in any "surprise" occupants as the result of federal intervention.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT