ADVERTISEMENT

Projected 8A and 7A Districts Updated For 2023 Under The Current By-Law Amendment Proposal

niualum2002

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2004
Since the By-Law Amendment Proposals for Districts never include the actual proposed districts which is mind-boggling to me that the IHSA schools need to vote on this essentially blind, I've gone ahead and updated the proposed 8A and 7A Districts from 2019 linked here by EdgyTim to reflect the current enrollments, multipliers, and any other changes that have happened in the 8A and 7A classes in the last 4 years.

In 2019 the IHSA website listed 513 playoff eligible schools. 512 is the number needed for a mathematically perfect 8 class 64 teams per class District Football system with the top 4 District teams per class qualifying for a total of 256 schools in the 8 class 32 team playoff system and the bottom 4 District teams per class not qualifiying also for a total of 256 schools.

The current proposal doesn't address what happens if there are not exactly 512 teams which is almost a certainty to happen. My educated guess is that we are below 512 playoff eligible schools at this point unless I've missed something on the IHSA website.

Since the current district proposal specifically says 8 teams per district and 8 districts per class I'm going to push the problem of an odd number of districts down to the lower classes for this exercise and put the top 64 schools by enrollment into 8 districts of 8 teams into 8A, and the next 64 schools by enrollment into 8 districts of 8 teams into 7A.

After getting through 7A it really gets very hard to calculate all of the moving parts which is why I stopped there. If anyone wants to pick it up from 6A onwards my calculations have Hubbard as the largest 6A school. The proposal is specific to the District system being adopted by 2024, so I am using the current enrollments for my calculations.

Things to keep in mind with this projection:

(1) I tried to keep the 2019 proposed districts as close to intact as I could since I don't think the IHSA would go back and completely undo all of the work they did 4 years ago if this Amendment passes again this year.
(2) It seems like for the most part the IHSA tried to keep school districts together if possible when they did this in 2019 unless geographic difficulties became too much.
(3) I kept the multiplier in effect for Loyola, Marist, and St. Ignatius qualifying for 8A in 2024, and Mt. Carmel, Brother Rice, Fenwick, and St. Rita (Playing up in 7A) qualifying for 7A in 2024 since this proposal says it goes into effect next year.
(4) I think I calculated everything correctly in terms of the 64 schools that would be in 8A and the 64 schools that would be in 7A, but if I missed just one it would obviously change the projections potentially very significantly. Plus I don't get to draw the final IHSA maps so there is a very real possibility they change their minds from 4 years ago if this passes this time around.
(5) With that said I really think these are going to be pretty darn close to the districts that would ultimately come into fruition if this By-Law Amendment passes.
(6) I'm not advocating for or against districts in this message thread...just simply looking to illustrate what the districts would look like in the higher classes.
(7) I could have easily made a mistake somewhere so feel free to point it out, but try and be nice in your criticism as one miscalculation is very easy to do in an exercise like this.
(8) I'm happy to take questions as to my rationale for why a team was placed where I placed them. Thanks for reading!

So here is what I have for both 8A and 7A when it comes to what I think the districts may be if this is adopted:

8A

North District A
Dundee-Crown
Barrington
Warren
Huntley
Stevenson
Round Lake
Waukegan
Zion-Benton

North District B
Evanston
Glenbrook South
Conant
Palatine
Fremd
Schaumburg
Loyola
New Trier

North District C
Barlett
Glenbard North
Elgin
York
Glenbard West
Glenbard East
Lake Park
South Elgin

North District D
Lane
Taft
St. Ignatius
Leyden
Proviso West
Oak Park-River Forest
Maine South
Niles West

South District A
Bolingbrook
Aurora East
Aurora West
Metea Valley
Neuqua Valley
Waubonsie Valley
Naperville North
Naperville Central

South District B
Morton
Downers South
Hinsdale Central
Lyons
Oswego
Oswego East
Plainfield North
Plainfield South

South District C
Sandburg
Andrew
Stagg
Bloom Twp.
Rich Twp.
Homewood-Flossmoor
Marist
Curie

South District D
Belleville East
O'Fallon
Edwardsville
Joliet West
Joliet Central
Lockport
Minooka
Lincoln-Way East

7A

North District A
Addison Trail
Willowbrook
Batavia
Geneva
St. Charles East
St. Charles North
West Chicago
Elk Grove Village

North District B
Buffalo Grove
Grant
Highland Park
Lake Zurich
Libertyville
Mundelein
Wheeling
McHenry

North District C
Hersey
Maine West
Hoffman Estates
Glenbrook North
Maine East
Rolling Meadows
Niles North
Prospect

North District D
DeKalb
Hampshire
Jacobs
Machesney Park Harlem
Rockford Auburn
Rockford Guilford
Rockford Jefferson
Rockton Hononegah

South District A
Alton
Belleville West
Collinsville
Granite City
Moline
Normal Community
Pekin
Quincy

South District B
Yorkville
Lincoln-Way Central
Lincoln-Way West
Plainfield Central
Plainfield East
Romeoville
Wheaton North
Wehaton-Warrenville South

South District C
Eisenhower
Reavis
Oak Lawn
Shepard
Argo
Proviso East
Downers North
Fenwick

South District D
Lincoln Park
Whitney Young
St. Rita
Mt. Carmel
Brother Rice
Thornwood
Thornton Fractional South
Bradley-Bourbonnais

Last edited:
I don't mind the district idea personally. If each district has 8 teams you will get two non-district games. Coaches/ADs can schedule quality competition in non-district.

Reactions: GhostOfTheGhhost
The South District D is yet another example why this will never fly......so your telling me if I live in say the Minooka school district :) my kid would have to travel 600 plus miles round trip to play a game every other week? Yeah....not gonna happen
Maybe if they combined classes in some districts where the travel is a concern. We already have conferences that span 1 to 3 classes so why won't that work for districts?

The South District D is yet another example why this will never fly......so your telling me if I live in say the Minooka school district :) my kid would have to travel 600 plus miles round trip to play a game every other week? Yeah....not gonna happen
Exactly. It is really a tough sell for a lot of programs but it seems to be popular downstate.

Maybe if they combined classes in some districts where the travel is a concern. We already have conferences that span 1 to 3 classes so why won't that work for districts?
As I understand it, that would defeat the entire purpose for districts. The idea is to have everyone playing within their class to level the field for playoffs.

It's a dumb idea...If it passes I can't wait to watch Rochester hammer Canton and Jerseyville by a combined score of 200-0 🙄

Looks okay to me. I'd trade NV NC and NN for DGS PFS and PFN

Thanks for doing this. Can you do it for 5A/6A too?
Potentially but it gets harder each class lower plus a lot more hypotheticals as teams are introduced from above and below the class. 7A was particularly tough for this reason. Appreciate the thanks! When I get some more downtime maybe I’ll look at it again this weekend.

Since the By-Law Amendment Proposals for Districts never include the actual proposed districts which is mind-boggling to me that the IHSA schools need to vote on this essentially blind...
This! Absurd that these proposals can be submitted without any real due diligence.

Reactions: Gene K.
Yes... 8a South D not gonna work. Let's just go back to six classes. That would be a start. Pennsylvania has six, that's plenty.

Love the work here.

Peronally, I think in 8A they'd probably flip Taft and Schaumberg and Maine South for Conant

Well I can see two groups of well intentioned people coming up with two completely different Districts. If the first group looks more at working North to South and the second starts South to North. Even within these groups what about East to West?

Look at 7A South Districts C & D. Everyone in D is driving past Eisenhower in C to get to Bradley-Bourbonnais.

Also putting BR SR and MC in the same District? When will the other schools in that district ever have a chance at the playoffs? Never.

Last edited:
Well I can see two groups of well intentioned people coming up with two completely different Districts. If the first group looks more at working North to south and the second starts South to North. Even within these groups what about East to West?

Look at 7A South Districts C & D. Everyone in D is driving past Eisenhower in C to get to Bradley-Bourbonnais.

Also putting BR SR and MC in the same District? When will the other schools in that district ever have a chance at the playoffs? Never.
Not sure if BR, MC and SR would all be in the same District, if this thing passes. Your point is well-taken, imo.

Not sure if BR, MC and SR would all be in the same District, if this thing passes. Your point is well-taken, imo.
It was in response to the author of this thread who made up what he thought the Districts should could like.

IMHO if the districs were published BEFORE the vote was taken this never sees the light of day. Everyone wants a trophy.

Last edited:
If you make 8A 16 districts of 6 teams, the travel issues are basically solved because the only "Far south" grouping would be

2093.5Moline (H.S.)Western Big 6
2096Normal (Community)Big Twelve
2111Belleville (West)Southwestern
2307Edwardsville (H.S.)Southwestern
2439Belleville (East)Southwestern
2488O'Fallon (H.S.)Southwestern

And then you can schedule 4 non-con, and districts can work together to fill those.

Top 2 from each district move on to playoffs.

Yes... 8a South D not gonna work. Let's just go back to six classes. That would be a start. Pennsylvania has six, that's plenty.
Pennsylvania also had Upper St Clair finish the regular season 8-2 and not make the the playoffs for the first time since 1999 and only the second time since 1982, I'm sure that would go over well with the schools.

Reactions: Anomalyout28
Go back to 6 classes.

Then rerun the districts which should help with travel and geographic inequalities.

Go back to 6 classes.

Then rerun the districts which should help with travel and geographic inequalities.
All.... Quality over quantity as well. Five classes would be even better. If I recall correctly that ended in the late 70's. But the loss in Ihsa revenue would be great. Less classes would never be allowed to get close to a vote by membership. Eight classes is here to stay. Ratsy

If you make 8A 16 districts of 6 teams, the travel issues are basically solved because the only "Far south" grouping would be

2093.5Moline (H.S.)Western Big 6
2096Normal (Community)Big Twelve
2111Belleville (West)Southwestern
2307Edwardsville (H.S.)Southwestern
2439Belleville (East)Southwestern
2488O'Fallon (H.S.)Southwestern

And then you can schedule 4 non-con, and districts can work together to fill those.

Top 2 from each district move on to playoffs.

Belleville West, Moline and Normal Community are 7A schools.

They are now, but would they be in the district proposal with fixed classes?
I think they would. 8 classes with 8 districts and 8 teams in each district makes it hard to fudge 8A if you have to start with the largest 64 schools and put them in 8A. Moline, BW, and NC were in 7A in niualum's first post in this thread.

Reactions: HotBeer
I think they would. 8 classes with 8 districts and 8 teams in each district makes it hard to fudge 8A if you have to start with the largest 64 schools and put them in 8A. Moline, BW, and NC were in 7A in niualum's first post in this thread.
You're right, but my comment was that you could fix 8A by making it 16 districts of 6 teams. So, those schools would be moved up in order to fix the distance issue... Fair to them? No, but all of this is really arbitrary anyways...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT