ADVERTISEMENT

What did we learn - 2019 it’s a wrap.........

LakeCtyNewt

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2002
Still trying to decompress but I promised I’d release this today so here goes.

1- That Parody in IHSA football is back and I’m not sure that’s a good thing
2 - That the best in class include: Panthers, Comets, Bullets, Rockets x2, Flyers, Caravan and Grifffins.
3 - That new stars and new teams emerged this year - more so than I remember. I guess that means good football is being played all over Illinois and not just in a few select spaces.
4 - That all gas and no brakes was more than just a motto, it was a thing.
5 - That I think NIU is a good finals venue but we can do much better. And that includes the TV coverage. Gotta be better because the HS football fans in this state deserve it.
6 - That while the scintillating AJ is gone to the land of big blue, The equally impressive JJ is back and has something to prove.
7 - That I need more of that Byron-Williamsville game again.
8 - That the IHSA needs more football officials. I became one and it was one of the most rewarding things I’ve ever done.
9 - That Friday upset specials, what if the season ended today playoff predictions and what did we learn will all be missed - well at least for the next 200 plus days.
10 - That all me a personal moment. I may see many things in what’s left of my life. I may get to do many things in that same time span. But I will never forget the moment of watching my son run on the field for a stage title football game. It truly is one of the most remarkable things I’ve ever experienced. He didn’t play, I don’t care and neither does he. To be apart of something so amazing sums up what it is to be a football dad. My heart broke for him last night and his 68 teammates knowing what it took for them to get here. Outcome aside, I am humbled and eternally grateful for having that be a part of my life.

2020 will be here before we know it.

Still trying to decompress but I promised I’d release this today so here goes.

1- That Parody in IHSA football is back and I’m not sure that’s a good thing
2 - That the best in class include: Panthers, Comets, Bullets, Rockets x2, Flyers, Caravan and Grifffins.
3 - That new stars and new teams emerged this year - more so than I remember. I guess that means good football is being played all over Illinois and not just in a few select spaces.
4 - That all gas and no brakes was more than just a motto, it was a thing.
5 - That I think NIU is a good finals venue but we can do much better. And that includes the TV coverage. Gotta be better because the HS football fans in this state deserve it.
6 - That while the scintillating AJ is gone to the land of big blue, The equally impressive JJ is back and has something to prove.
7 - That I need more of that Byron-Williamsville game again.
8 - That the IHSA needs more football officials. I became one and it was one of the most rewarding things I’ve ever done.
9 - That Friday upset specials, what if the season ended today playoff predictions and what did we learn will all be missed - well at least for the next 200 plus days.
10 - That all me a personal moment. I may see many things in what’s left of my life. I may get to do many things in that same time span. But I will never forget the moment of watching my son run on the field for a stage title football game. It truly is one of the most remarkable things I’ve ever experienced. He didn’t play, I don’t care and neither does he. To be apart of something so amazing sums up what it is to be a football dad. My heart broke for him last night and his 68 teammates knowing what it took for them to get here. Outcome aside, I am humbled and eternally grateful for having that be a part of my life.

2020 will be here before we know it.
Newt,

I say this with no exaggeration and without pride, your #10 brought me to tears. As I lay here reading your words, through blurry eyes (not unlike viewing yesterday’s Broadcast) my heart breaks for your son and his fellow warriors. However, I know that they will look back on this last season with joy. As an Illinois resident and former player, I am proud of your Blue Devils.

Newt,

I say this with no exaggeration and without pride, your #10 brought me to tears. As I lay here reading your words, through blurry eyes (not unlike viewing yesterday’s Broadcast) my heart breaks for your son and his fellow warriors. However, I know that they will look back on this last season with joy. As an Illinois resident and former player, I am proud of your Blue Devils.

Thanks Bowie. I must confess it was tough to write as well. Very hard ride home last night.

Thanks Bowie. I must confess it was tough to write as well. Very hard ride home last night.
Time heals all wounds. For what it’s worth, my son’s 10U team lost to Elmhurst in their Super Bowl this year 14-7. I know it’s not the State Championship, but it felt like it to them. My son left his helmet on the entire ride home he was in so upset and he threw away the 2nd place trophy. He said “next year we win it all.”

He was laughing and playing with his teammates the next day. I also fished his trophy out of the garbage. He doesn’t know ;)

Time heals all wounds. For what it’s worth, my son’s 10U team lost to Elmhurst in their Super Bowl this year 14-7. I know it’s not the State Championship, but it felt like it to them. My son left his helmet on the entire ride home he was in so upset and he threw away the 2nd place trophy. He said “next year we win it all.”

He was laughing and playing with his teammates the next day. I also fished his trophy out of the garbage. He doesn’t know ;)

Yah that’s true. It hurts today but I’m just so thankful. This group since 8th grade when they won the “Super Bowl” was a remarkable 46-6-1. That’s a pretty amazing run.

And though they lost last night they gave up 7 touchdowns all season. Just a really cool experience all the way around.

Yah that’s true. It hurts today but I’m just so thankful. This group since 8th grade when they won the “Super Bowl” was a remarkable 46-6-1. That’s a pretty amazing run.

And though they lost last night they gave up 7 touchdowns all season. Just a really cool experience all the way around.
Newt, this was the best D I have seen in 30+ years of watching IHSA football.

Reactions: Solid Snake Pliskin
Newt, this was the best D I have seen in 30+ years of watching IHSA football.
Only gave up 6 to the champs and were backed up a large chunk of the game. I don't even know how their coverage was because teams didn't have a chance to unveil a passing attack. That's how you bottle up AJ.

Great season by Warren Township ! The future remains bright up north. Time to reload. Home of six flags ... all rides are closed for the season. Had fun with a few post. See you next season. Off season starts after a little break .... see everyone at BOOM and Edgytim/EFT showcases ! Mr. Jones

Future Rambler?

All the parents of HS football players that have entertained and provided emotion and dedication to take a journey with these athletes...THANK YOU. The trip they make is a bonding experience and hard work that is very special in today’s world. First or last, following a dream should never be denied or belittled. On to 2020.

Newt, congratulations to your son and his team. They were great opponents and that defense lived up to its billing. Good luck to him in the future.
Your posts are always a must read.

Newt, congratulations to your son and his team. They were great opponents and that defense lived up to its billing. Good luck to him in the future.
Your posts are always a must read.

Thanks LWED. Congrats to LWE well-coached team. Very deserving state championship for them.

13. Contrary to popular belief there are good football teams outside Chicago and the suburbs...Williamsville,Rochester just to name a couple of them.
This is predominately a CCL board. Some, not the majority, don’t recognize the fact that there are a bunch of quality programs beyond Cook county (see MC63).
Others recognize these facts but don’t know much about some of the fine programs you have in mind. These posters are unlikely to post about teams they don’t know much about. It is up to you to post and educate us. Please do!!!

Most of us have limited access to small school information.

Newt
You guys have nothing to hang your head about your team and program are top notch. I am happy that you got to enjoy the moment with your son. It’s special and I know first hand with my son in 2005. Very special and proud moment.

Reactions: Iamjaytee
Newt
You guys have nothing to hang your head about your team and program are top notch. I am happy that you got to enjoy the moment with your son. It’s special and I know first hand with my son in 2005. Very special and proud moment.

Thanks Corey. Sucks right now but it doesn’t take away from an amazing run. Congrats tj the Beast

Reactions: Gene K.
This is predominately a CCL board. Some, not the majority, don’t recognize the fact that there are a bunch of quality programs beyond Cook county (see MC63).
Others recognize these facts but don’t know much about some of the fine programs you have in mind. These posters are unlikely to post about teams they don’t know much about. It is up to you to post and educate us. Please do!!!

Most of us have limited access to small school information.

All I do is stick up for my school. the other business was an idea to raise ratings. Just an idea. If your mind is broad enough, you can consider it and move on. If not, yo9u can leap to wild conclusions, as you have done.

All I do is stick up for my school. the other business was an idea to raise ratings. Just an idea. If your mind is broad enough, you can consider it and move on. If not, yo9u can leap to wild conclusions, as you have done.
Your post was condescending to 75% of the teams in the state. Yes it was. I understood the idea you were sharing. . It just might be a good idea, but your tone typically makes you sound like a snob. I feel as if many of your posts are insulting. I’d bet many others on this board do also.

MC is arguably the best program in the history of this (not so) fine state. I admire your undying passion for your team but perhaps you should choose your words more carefully.

I’m not an overly sensitive person and have never been offended by your words. I’m sure others have.

Your post was condescending to 75% of the teams in the state. Yes it was. I understood the idea you were sharing. . It just might be a good idea, but your tone typically makes you sound like a snob. I feel as if many of your posts are insulting. I’d bet many others on this board do also.

MC is arguably the best program in the history of this (not so) fine state. I admire your undying passion for your team but perhaps you should choose your words more carefully.

I’m not an overly sensitive person and have never been offended by your words. I’m sure others have.

Well, to keep you happy, why not completely reverse the programming? Have 8A begin on Friday morning, and 1A finish up on Saturday night,

Well, to keep you happy, why not completely reverse the programming? Have 8A begin on Friday morning, and 1A finish up on Saturday night,
As I stated, I don’t disagree with your thoughts about rearranging the order.

I’m paraphrasing but you pretty much said nobody cares about small schools. Wrong.

I could see flipping the schedule, especially when the finals are played at the U of I. Play the 1A title game at 7:00 PM on Saturday. Give them the opportunity to be on TV during prime time.

We in the Chicago print media would love not having to bounce right up against our Saturday night deadlines.

I could see flipping the schedule, especially when the finals are played at the U of I. Play the 1A title game at 7:00 PM on Saturday. Give them the opportunity to be on TV during prime time.

We in the Chicago print media would love not having to bounce right up against our Saturday night deadlines with the 8A games.

I’m paraphrasing but you pretty much said nobody cares about small schools. Wrong.
I'm all in favor for mixing them up. Ive said it before. I for one have always been in the same boat as mc63 and thought 7a and 8a should be the prime time games. But i would love mixing them up and seeing a good small town championship. As im sure those people would love seeing schools 10x their size play in person.

Reactions: Quags57
I would also like to congratulate the Chicago Tribune on the fine coverage it gave to high school football this season.

I opened the paper today (they sent it to me free) and saw game stories of Michigan-Ohio State, Wisconsin-Minnesota, Auburn-Alabama and Clemson-South Carolina. No state high school playoff stories.

They didn't even have the high school state final scores in the paper. But I did find the football score for the monumental battle between Muhlenberg and Brockport.

The Trib opened the high school season with a story about the decline in the number of players in high school football. That was the last piece of coverage they gave high school football all season.

I would also like to congratulate the Chicago Tribune on the fine coverage it gave to high school football this season.

I opened the paper today (they sent it to me free) and saw game stories of Michigan-Ohio State, Wisconsin-Minnesota, Auburn-Alabama and Clemson-South Carolina. No state high school playoff stories.

They didn't even have the high school state final scores in the paper. But I did find the football score for the monumental battle between Muhlenberg and Brockport.

The Trib opened the high school season with a story about the decline in the number of players in high school football. That was the last piece of coverage they gave high school football all season.
Dead fish wrap.

We in the Chicago print media would love not having to bounce right up against our Saturday night deadlines.
How about going back to 4 classes? Enrollment of 0-1,000 is 1A, 1,000-2,000 is 2A, 2,000-3,000 is 3A and 3,000 and above is 4A. Then you can have 4:00 and 7:00 games Friday and Saturday. Some have said 8 classes are too much and others say there’s no interest in the small rural schools. Let’s have LeWin versus Rochester. Will that make some of you happy?

How about going back to 4 classes? Enrollment of 0-1,000 is 1A, 1,000-2,000 is 2A, 2,000-3,000 is 3A and 3,000 and above is 4A. Then you can have 4:00 and 7:00 games Friday and Saturday. Some have said 8 classes are too much and others say there’s no interest in the small rural schools. Let’s have LeWin versus Rochester. Will that make some of you happy?

well...3,000-4,000 would only have 20 schools in it

Reactions: WIU78
Why don’t we just have a round robin of 1a -8a 2a-7a 3a-6a and 4a-5a? (Insert sarcasm here)

Reactions: Formicidae13

I never said anything like that at all. You're reading too much into what I suggested ... and that's all it was, a suggestion for consideration.

I did say, in effect, that there is little interest i small school football in the greater Chicago area because we don't live near those schools. There is also little interest in big schools located outside the area.

Meanwhile, there is little interest in central Illinois for the Chicago Catholic League.

Reactions: Eringobragh
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT