ADVERTISEMENT

What did we learn week 1!?!?!?

LakeCtyNewt

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2002
Greetings earthlings and welcome to another unrefined edition of what did we learn. Coming to you long distance……….

Here we go from Virginia and parts unknown

1 - That Leo, oh, oh, oh, oh……what a night for the Lions
2 - That there may be a new beast in the MSL West
3 - That week 1 was done right with amazing matchups. Need more of this in the future.
4 - That preseason rankings, well they, uh, never mind.
5 - That the once mighty warren defense may be in need of a tuneup.
6 - That LWE is still doing LWE things.
7 - That Grayslake Central will be better, but not at Bolingbrook’s level yet.
8 - That York is still really good.
9 - That something happened to SHG. Authorities are on the scene, film at 11.
10 - That Lena Winslow could win 1, 2 or possibly 3a.

That’s all.

To have a chance to take down East, a team should have all their best players healthy, bring the A-game and hope for a few Griffin mistakes. They looked as machine-like as ever.

Kenwood while having a few top athletes is still a 6a? cps school.
Not really a surprise the outcome.

Also teams In Illinois has to want to play. The Flyers want to play in state but other teams have to want to play.
Their schedule next year should be interesting.
With so many people having a list of things mc did wrong last night, I'm sure they'll be calling their schools AD demanding they play east next and show everyone how it's done.

Weeks 1,2,3 and 9 are open next year. ESL is willing to play any school interested.
Also teams In Illinois has to want to play. The Flyers want to play in state but other teams have to want to play.
You know, if Rita was still in the Green, I'd say go for it.

I am assuming ESL will always be in 6A, and I think Rita will be staying there for a while, so it would be a nice matchup in anticipation of a end-of-the-year encounter.

I want the ESL vs LWE to be a thing. How can we make this happen? It needs to happen!!! Lots of upside and in my book zero down side. Let’s do the first week 2nd week who cares it’s a game that needs to be played. It’s Power vs Power! MC no disrespect because you showed why ESL isn’t the only team in town. LWE isn’t a premier public program for nothing they can hang with anyone in the state. I am sure Loyola and others are saying the same thing. Come on coaches step up! I know ESL needs these games more than you do but heck isn’t this why we play the games. Let’s do it in our own state. ESL doesn’t need to be playing national, they would have a tough enough time in our state if they played the best teams. MC just proved what I have been saying for years.
Yes CG did too, but CG played their SB. There are teams in Illinois that don’t have to rise to SB status to play with ESL, Neuqua Valley showed this a few years ago by giving the Flyers all they could handle.
Let’s get this done. Believe me if the Flyers played LWE, MC, MS, LA, Warren they don’t need to play schools out of state.
IMO the reason ESL is nationally ranked is because they play nationally ranked schools. If any of the above teams played nationally ranked schools they would also be nationally ranked.
ESL is willing, let’s give them what they want! MC is the first to step up and what do they do go out and beat them. Surprise? No I had them to win as did many others. Yes it was a close game and rightly so. MC was the better team and yes ESL has more individual talent but MC was the better team!
Great game to two great Illinois programs!
Congratulations on a great game!
Let’s keep ESL playing in state! 😊
That’s my rant. As Eminem would say I’m
Outie! I throw my mic to papa doc! 👍

I want the ESL vs LWE to be a thing. How can we make this happen? It needs to happen!!! Lots of upside and in my book zero down side. Let’s do the first week 2nd week who cares it’s a game that needs to be played. It’s Power vs Power! MC no disrespect because you showed why ESL isn’t the only team in town. LWE isn’t a premier public program for nothing they can hang with anyone in the state. I am sure Loyola and others are saying the same thing. Come on coaches step up! I know ESL needs these games more than you do but heck isn’t this why we play the games. Let’s do it in our own state. ESL doesn’t need to be playing national, they would have a tough enough time in our state if they played the best teams. MC just proved what I have been saying for years.
Yes CG did too, but CG played their SB. There are teams in Illinois that don’t have to rise to SB status to play with ESL, Neuqua Valley showed this a few years ago by giving the Flyers all they could handle.
Let’s get this done. Believe me if the Flyers played LWE, MC, MS, LA, Warren they don’t need to play schools out of state.
IMO the reason ESL is nationally ranked is because they play nationally ranked schools. If any of the above teams played nationally ranked schools they would also be nationally ranked.
ESL is willing, let’s give them what they want! MC is the first to step up and what do they do go out and beat them. Surprise? No I had them to win as did many others. Yes it was a close game and rightly so. MC was the better team and yes ESL has more individual talent but MC was the better team!
Outie! I throw my mic to papa doc! 👍
MC/LWE

I think we all learned the same thing this week. No one is beating MC this year. Crown’em!! Congrats to all the MC posters. 28-0 is soooo hard to do!!
I remember 2001, MC beat what everyone thought was an unbeatable JCA team that was returning basically their entire roster from a State Championship team and was 28-0 coming in. MC won 35-21. Then MC finished the regular season 7-2 and got knocked out by Hinsdale South in round 2. Hinsdale South mind you , not Central. You never know what will happen in HS sports. One week at a time!

Last edited:
I think we all learned the same thing this week. No one is beating MC this year. Crown’em!! Congrats to all the MC posters. 28-0 is soooo hard to do!!
Easy now. We don’t crown anyone in week 1. Breath. MS will be right there in the thick of things come playoffs.

Reactions: Jenny27
Outie! I throw my mic to papa do

I would like to see LWE vs. Mt. Carmel

I would like to see LWE vs. Mt. Carmel
Curious as to the last time the 2 teams squared off against one another? I remember Jordan Lynch and MC traveling to east for a playoff game that was a barn burner. Seniors from East had never lost a game in their 4 years up until that playoff game.

Reactions: Silver Rain
So MC starts the year without losing every year?
Please knock off this childish stuff -- we have a tough schedule ahead of us and several teams could beat us. Wait 'til the end of November before you make and claims. Thanks.

Curious as to the last time the 2 teams squared off against one another? I remember Jordan Lynch and MC traveling to east for a playoff game that was a barn burner. Seniors from East had never lost a game in their 4 years up until that playoff game.
Jordan was actually still a sophomore. Carter Kopach led MC to victory that evening in our first-ever matchup with LWE (2006 Semi-final @ LWE). The first time MC was in 8a.

I would agree MC has had our number but even they would say East is no joke and it took everything they had to come out on top. These games were some of the hardest hitting you will see at the HS level. Respect for both programs.
Not implying that at all. Curiosity is all! Great program LWE.

Easy now. We don’t crown anyone in week 1. Breath. MS will be right there in the thick of things come playoffs.
Actually, one team could be crowned a champion right now, but the IHSA does not want to lose the gate receipts from a championship game, especially with the finals coming back to their rightful home (Hancock Stadium) this postseason.

Actually, one team could be crowned a champion right now, but the IHSA does not want to lose the gate receipts from a championship game, especially with the finals coming back to their rightful home (Hancock Stadium) this postseason.
Actually and sadly, we can probably crown a 1A champ (Lena-Winslow), a 4A champ (Rochester), a 6A champ (East St. Louis assuming they. opt up from 5A (if not, they become 5A champs), a 7A champ (Mt. Carmel) and an 8A pick-em champ (Loyola or Lincoln-Way East) right now.
This is the unfortunate result of so many of our eyes being on Mt. Carmel vs. East St.Louis last Saturday night. It's obvious these teams are the best of the very best in regard to their classes.
Clearly, a school can come up with a magical season at any point, with Cary-Grove in 2021 being an example that comes to mind. Up north, 6A Lake Forest (6-0) in the 2020-2021 spring season might be another, though no one will ever know if Lake Forest could have done it as no playoffs existed.
In any case, after one week, it's not going to be easy to present any team that can challenge the above named schools in terms of KOing them in the postseason.
Instead, I suspect we are going to get a lot of "We need L-W East vs. Mt. Carmel and L-W East vs. Loyola and L-W East vs. East StL" stuff because those are the games that prep football fans want to see.
We've even lost the Rochester vs. Springfield Sacred Heart Griffin energy after one week, with Rochester dominating its highly regarded foe and Springfield Griffin getting routed.
Someone today wrote that he hoped the regular season is not now irrelevant.
Sadly, in terms of state championships to be won in each class, I fear that it now is.

Actually and sadly, we can probably crown a 1A champ (Lena-Winslow), a 4A champ (Rochester), a 6A champ (East St. Louis assuming they. opt up from 5A (if not, they become 5A champs), a 7A champ (Mt. Carmel) and an 8A pick-em champ (Loyola or Lincoln-Way East) right now.
This is the unfortunate result of so many of our eyes being on Mt. Carmel vs. East St.Louis last Saturday night. It's obvious these teams are the best of the very best in regard to their classes.
Clearly, a school can come up with a magical season at any point, with Cary-Grove in 2021 being an example that comes to mind. Up north, 6A Lake Forest (6-0) in the 2020-2021 spring season might be another, though no one will ever know if Lake Forest could have done it as no playoffs existed.
In any case, after one week, it's not going to be easy to present any team that can challenge the above named schools in terms of KOing them in the postseason.
Instead, I suspect we are going to get a lot of "We need L-W East vs. Mt. Carmel and L-W East vs. Loyola and L-W East vs. East StL" stuff because those are the games that prep football fans want to see.
We've even lost the Rochester vs. Springfield Sacred Heart Griffin energy after one week, with Rochester dominating its highly regarded foe and Springfield Griffin getting routed.
Someone today wrote that he hoped the regular season is not now irrelevant.
Sadly, in terms of state championships to be won in each class, I fear that it now is.
I agree with most of what you said buttt I think ic could give Rochester a challenge in 4a and in 6a you have rita and Kankakee . Rita Will give east saint Louis a run for their money if they meet in the playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT